Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

Getting sick of players for no reason heading the ball out of play or into the middle of nowhere when they could/ should easily just control the ball when they aren't under pressure, It's been in FM since I can remember.

Yes, that annoys me when I see it. Something I've been meaning to upload myself and will next time I get a glaring example.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh, it looks like they are slightly too common on the basis of my save and yours.

SI run big soak tests where they sim thousands of matches to look out for this kind of stuff, so perhaps our two are just exceptions and really overall it is balanced.

However, possibly worth bringing to their attention just in case, but you would need to show more than 1 season's stats really. Also I would say going to Premier League > Team Stats > Red Cards, would be slightly easier to read, though ultimately it shows the same data.

Yeh, it looks like they are slightly too common on the basis of my save and yours.

SI run big soak tests where they sim thousands of matches to look out for this kind of stuff, so perhaps our two are just exceptions and really overall it is balanced.

However, possibly worth bringing to their attention just in case, but you would need to show more than 1 season's stats really. Also I would say going to Premier League > Team Stats > Red Cards, would be slightly easier to read, though ultimately it shows the same data.

Season 3, 10th Jan

Number of Red Cards

Premier League 27

Championship 51

League One 48

League Two 52

Season 2 there were a total of 49 Red Cards issued in the Premier League. Now for some real life stats...

Real Life Premier League

2009/10 - 68 Red Cards

2010/11 - 65 Red Cards

2011/12 - 66 Red Cards

2012/Present - 23 Red Cards and counting

This is where I got my information from: http://www.soccervista.com/cards-Premier_League-2009_2010-827652.html

I too thought the red cards count was high but it seems quite clearly that it is not and if anything is slightly too few.

I initially didn't think they were too high, but when I was in the process of explaining to scott mufc why I went to find some facts, and saw there were only 26 in the 2011-2012 season.

just rechecked the source I used that told me there were 26 in the 2011-12 season, last updated 26th of November 2011. Bloody internet. I'm having a major off day today

It does indeed seem like they are not too many at all... thanks for clarifying

Mods, is it just me or are things getting even weirder on this forum? ;) Just reached post #2686 on page 27 and it now shows two phantom pages (28 & 29 obviously). Also the "go to first new post" button only takes me to the top of the last page that actually contains posts! What gives?

Cheers

xxx

ps it happens on the other feedback thread as well, just the one phantom page though.

Mods, is it just me or are things getting even weirder on this forum? ;) Just reached post #2686 on page 27 and it now shows two phantom pages (28 & 29 obviously). Also the "go to first new post" button only takes me to the top of the last page that actually contains posts! What gives?

Cheers

xxx

ps it happens on the other feedback thread as well, just the one phantom page though.

Lots and lots of posts being deleted.

Something is still too overpowered about small clubs. I've started a new career with Chelsea and my only losses so far (in all competitions) have been to Norwich, Hull, and West Ham. I've either beaten or drawn with every bigger club I've played. In fact the matches where the odds are most in my favor seem the ones I am most likely to lose due to easy missed chances and opposing players just generally playing over their heads. I think "motivation" is the culprit here and really needs to be addressed.

Something is still too overpowered about small clubs. I've started a new career with Chelsea and my only losses so far (in all competitions) have been to Norwich, Hull, and West Ham. I've either beaten or drawn with every bigger club I've played. In fact the matches where the odds are most in my favor seem the ones I am most likely to lose due to easy missed chances and opposing players just generally playing over their heads. I think "motivation" is the culprit here and really needs to be addressed.

My players get anxious or nervous before half an hour is played if I haven't scored, when I am a huge favourite to win. Overconfidence only sets in once I have scored a couple. If I don't put a lot of pressure on the players, though, they won't run and quite frankly don't seem to give a damn. I don't attend the press conferences, though, so it is possible I could control this a bit better if I did, but in either case the game seems to be a bit unbalanced when it comes to professional, determined players who are focused and fine in big matches get jelly knees when facing underdogs. This may account for some of the problems people have with overpowered small teams. I think the effects of not scoring within half an hour when fighting overconfidence in the pre-match preparations should be tuned down a bit.

I'm assuming this is a bug in the ME?

There's no reason why my quickest attacking player would slow down to allow the rest of the defenders to catch him up before he starts running again, is there?

[video=youtube;QaN78uwFSK8]

Someone in the crowd shouted at him to pose for a picture! :D

Very harsh.. if you spent a fraction of your time reading his posts (which you obv havent), you will see a majority of his threads give reasons to opinions in an adult and constructive way.

Maybe some of his points i dont agree with but id certainly read what he has to say and discuss in a constructive discussion than listen to the personal attacks.

Put your brain into gear before you post :thup:

Funny quote "put your brain into gear" care to analyse your post? Deductions, as you have no idea what i have or not red, which i actually did, you are the one doing the personal attacks as all the comments i've made about him was the ammount of defensive comments he was doing about the ME. So you should take your own advice, as if my comment wasn't constructive as far as feedback, mate yours sure wasn't.

Get off your high horse, put your brain into gear before you post instead of trying to talk people down :thup::)

My players get anxious or nervous before half an hour is played if I haven't scored, when I am a huge favourite to win. Overconfidence only sets in once I have scored a couple. If I don't put a lot of pressure on the players, though, they won't run and quite frankly don't seem to give a damn. I don't attend the press conferences, though, so it is possible I could control this a bit better if I did, but in either case the game seems to be a bit unbalanced when it comes to professional, determined players who are focused and fine in big matches get jelly knees when facing underdogs. This may account for some of the problems people have with overpowered small teams. I think the effects of not scoring within half an hour when fighting overconfidence in the pre-match preparations should be tuned down a bit.

I think it's telling that Hull City put 4 past me in the league cup while no other team (including Arsenal and Man City) have put more than 2 past me. Playing a low-reputation team in a low-reputation competition is a recipe for your players to play absolutely terribly and get destroyed.

I would love nothing more than to score half the goals the AI does from crosses!!! ;-)

really hate to say it but it could be your tactics. pretty much all of my goals from from crosses. could be that im in a league thats not so great or my main striker is 6ft3 but this is the first year ive been happy with my wingers

You know what I'm going to say right oneunited?

I was playing counter, but he is my attacking inside forward, so all he has to do is run. He has been running fine from corners breaking away, except for this game. There could be another aspect to my tactics that made him stutter, perhaps waiting for support, but I'm not sure it's that.

Go on, surprise me :D

I was playing counter, but he is my attacking inside forward, so all he has to do is run. He has been running fine from corners breaking away, except for this game. There could be another aspect to my tactics that made him stutter, perhaps waiting for support, but I'm not sure it's that.

Go on, surprise me :D

Even if this guy had instructions to HUB or RWB rarely, in real life given this situation he would no doubt sprint for goal. Those instructions would not be given to this player in this exact situation. This is where FM goes wrong, it takes instructions literally without the player being able to take the obvious action due to his instructions. FWIW, This guy has something like 17-18 pace so he would be off like Usan Bolt in this scenario!

Like I said earlier, he stopped to have his picture taken, either that or he saw his wife kissing another man in the crowd!

I can't believe I am going to say this but that seems fair enough to me,I mean you have to pick your battles and I don't see that video being one I would fight.

He plays a great pass behind the defence with some curve and the player scores a goal.

As anyone following these threads will know I have a big problem with errors and bugs in the ME,I don't see anything wrong here,unless I am missing something?

I can't believe I am going to say this but that seems fair enough to me,I mean you have to pick your battles and I don't see that video being one I would fight.

He plays a great pass behind the defence with some curve and the player scores a goal.

As anyone following these threads will know I have a big problem with errors and bugs in the ME,I don't see anything wrong here,unless I am missing something?

Ha, sorry, I was being sarcastic. I was just happy with his assist, it was amazing. Was trying to add some light hearted banter to this miserable thread.

Ha, sorry, I was being sarcastic. I was just happy with his assist, it was amazing.

Damn I am glad I did not go all out with a rant then :p

Me and sarcasm through the net don't get on very well :p.

Man I can't believe I watched the clip 6 times trying to find a fault,I think I am still buzzing from getting my first legendary item in BL2...yeah that's it ...that was the problem :p

Patch ME fixes, updated TODAY (think the last 2)

Match v1319

-----------

- More improvements to on ball decision making and pass choice

- Improved central midfielder starting position when team is in possession

- Tweaked midfielder and attacker positions when team is defending

- Fixed a couple of bugs causing players to fail to turn to face required direction properly

- Improved facing direction of player marking opponent who is moving onto a pass

- Fixed bug allowing players being able to partially "go through" other players to get ball without being penalised

- Small tweaks to improve the way players move onto passes or loose balls

- Reduced some instances of closing down of keeper when clearly illogical in context of player and his instructions

- Cleaned up a few bugs that delayed retrieval of ball at set pieces or kick offs

Match v1320

-----------

- A bunch of ball physics fixes mainly related to collisions and ball spin after bounce

- Reduced slightly unrealistic ball to player deflections

- More improvements to pass choice AI

- Tweaks to run with ball and first touch AI

- Reduced tackles that end in own goals

- Some tweaks to basic central midfielder positions

- Fixed some dodgy marking at mid pitch free kicks

- Improved full back positioning when waiting for short keeper distribution

- Improved near and far post corner aim point

Match v1321

-----------

- Some further ball physics fixes and refinements

- Fixed goal not always given if ball stops just over goal line

- Fixed some rare instances of player collision avoidance failing

- Further refinements to pass AI

- Improved pass, shot or header accuracy logic

- Further improvements to player reactions to the ball

- Fixed defences staying to deep just after corner taken

- Refined player positioning when defending free kicks from wide

- Made players press more collectively and aggressively when required

- Improved positioning of defenders against attackers running at pace

- Refined tackling AI a bit

- Improved facing direction while marking opponent around own area

- Fixed some more keeper AI bugs

Match v1322

-----------

- Improved collision avoidance AI slightly

- Fine tuned ball trajectory chosen by player for kick, header etc

- Fine tuned kick and header accuracy logic

- Fine tuned pass and general on ball AI

- Tuned long shot frequency and AI

- Toned down pressing slightly in certain situations

- Improved marking and engagement of ball player in wide areas

- Tuned tackling AI further

- Couple of small fixes to player reactions

- Fixed some small player pathing anomalies

- Fixed a couple of goalkeeper AI anomalies

Match v1323

-----------

- Improved marking and engagement of ball player further

- Fixed some instances of risky keeper distribution

Match v1324

-----------

- Reverted one change from 1323 that was causing defensive issues

- Fine tuned kick/header accuracy

So 1319-1324 are where we are with regards to the next update.

How excited was I when I saw this! I quickly closed the game, reloaded it with anticipation of the new update has finally come to save my season, quickly went to the 'About Football Manager' only to see Version 13.1.3 334797(m.e v1318) :rolleyes:

I didn't bother to read the last line :mad:

There are a few changes which sound great but "- Fixed some instances of risky keeper distribution" I take to mean no more will the keeper go to the sideline and *pass*the ball to the opposition and in turn for them to score a 40+yard open goal.

The only down side is unlike the rest of you guys I could not care when the patch hits.

I have my folks coming to stay for Christmas so it will be near to the New Year before I get to play at any length.

So having said that...Paul take your time and maybe go over it a few more times to make sure it is ready,I think I speak for everyone when I say even if the patch is released around December 31st we will all be happy :p

Loving the way people think this patch is going to dramatically alter the game. It's not, it's simply ironing out some of the more obvious bugs. It's still going to be the same game.

In fact, let's have a prediction on the 'Patch Timeline'

1 - Patch is released, much happiness and cheering

2 - Initial posts gushing in praise of how the game is 'so much better'

3 - After the initial reaction, some players still can't get their teams to win, so start to over analyse the game again looking for faults

4 - Within a week, posts of 'unplayable' and 'broken' resurface.

How do we know this? Because it's exactly how it happened last time.

And before the mods start giving a 'keep it on topic' speech, I think we've exhausted every last drop of 'feedback' for this version of the ME. Videos and scenarios being posted are re-runs of incidents we've seen a thousand times.

Therefore, I suggest any bickering on this thread should now be heartily encouraged. Let's have a bit of fun, eh? :p

You know what I'm going to say right oneunited?

Hopefully "it would be helpful if you could find time to post a PKM in the bug forum, however you are more than welcome to post feedback in this thread designed for feedback too and posting in the bug forum is not a required pre-requisite for doing so"?

Almost exactly... although mine would be without your sarcastic undertones City...

As I have done in the past several times, all I ask is that people post in the bug forums first and consider this a secondary place to moan/ask about certain issues.... As posting here will solve nothing.

Hence me saying it in a tongue in cheek way to someone who already knows this (oneunited) :)

You'd do well to follow suit and leave the sarcasm and attitude at the door :)

Loving the way people think this patch is going to dramatically alter the game. It's not, it's simply ironing out some of the more obvious bugs. It's still going to be the same game.

In fact, let's have a prediction on the 'Patch Timeline'

1 - Patch is released, much happiness and cheering

2 - Initial posts gushing in praise of how the game is 'so much better'

3 - After the initial reaction, some players still can't get their teams to win, so start to over analyse the game again looking for faults

4 - Within a week, posts of 'unplayable' and 'broken' resurface.

How do we know this? Because it's exactly how it happened last time.

And before the mods start giving a 'keep it on topic' speech, I think we've exhausted every last drop of 'feedback' for this version of the ME. Videos and scenarios being posted are re-runs of incidents we've seen a thousand times.

Therefore, I suggest any bickering on this thread should now be heartily encouraged. Let's have a bit of fun, eh? :p

Well of course initially people will post to say how much better it is and how some of the known issues that 'they' have experienced have been eradicated. Then, people will start to discover new bugs (hopefully not) which will take time of course and will duly post about it. So your 'Patch Timeline' will be pretty much spot-on!

MacZidane I went the polar opposite after the previous patch.

For the first week I was pissed off beyond measure.

Season 2 at St. Johnstone and I was leading a confident march to the SPL.

Patch comes out. Lose 8 games on the trot before I find a new tactic that isn't somehow totally made redundant.

Clog up the forums semi-seriously complaining about wanting to go back to the old ME.

Lose SPL title. Work for entire pre-season on new tactic that seems to work, watching games in full adjusting till I have something where at least things mostly make sense.

Then play it in every game, getting moderate results, coming in top 3 every year but never 1st, enjoying the challenge.

Love the new ME despite the plethora of faults.

Although I don't want my tactic to get nerfed again, if I am as happy with the new one as I am with this one (bugs considered), then I'll be, well, happy

I suspect you will be right for the vocal minority though

So it has already been decided that the patch will just cause as much *fury*(for want of a better word) on these forums as before the patch?

Just so you guys know that for example FM11 and 12 had quite a few problems but after the main patch(yes this is the main patch) hit mostly everyone was happy and went and played the game.

Yes this is a new ME but they have had a few weeks to sort out the problems so I am very hopeful.

No idea why you guys are trying to stoke the fires,let them release the patch and see where we are at.

MacZidane I went the polar opposite after the previous patch.

For the first week I was pissed off beyond measure.

Season 2 at St. Johnstone and I was leading a confident march to the SPL.

Patch comes out. Lose 8 games on the trot before I find a new tactic that isn't somehow totally made redundant.

Ha, I was the same in my Coventry game at the time. That patch ended up costing me promotion! Or more accurately, my refusal to change a previously winning tactic post-patch.

And I give up on FM13.

We're at home. We have a better team all over the park. My players are by all accounts highly motivated. We have 63% possession. We get 7x 50%+ chances to score, including 3 CCC. We put away 0. The opposition get 3x 50%+ chances, 1 CCC, including one where they had a man inexplicably unmarked and in the clear at the near post; and another hoof ball to the striker. They score 2.

I couldn't have done anything about their goals. I can't do anything about my players failure to score. I wish it was my tactics, but unless the entire game of football has changed there should be no way I lose match after match while outclassing my opponents. It's beyond ridiculous.

I've tried defensive tactics. I've tried balanced tactics. I've tried possession tactics. I've tried attacking tactics. I've tried being mr nice guy. I've tried being mr hard ass. I've tried 3 different careers with 7 different teams.

I keep losing but I can't see rhyme or reason as to why that's the case. I've never felt this way about any edition of FM before.

And I give up on FM13.

We're at home. We have a better team all over the park. My players are by all accounts highly motivated. We have 63% possession. We get 7x 50%+ chances to score, including 3 CCC. We put away 0. The opposition get 3x 50%+ chances, 1 CCC, including one where they had a man inexplicably unmarked and in the clear at the near post; and another hoof ball to the striker. They score 2.

I couldn't have done anything about their goals. I can't do anything about my players failure to score. I wish it was my tactics, but unless the entire game of football has changed there should be no way I lose match after match while outclassing my opponents. It's beyond ridiculous.

I've tried defensive tactics. I've tried balanced tactics. I've tried possession tactics. I've tried attacking tactics. I've tried being mr nice guy. I've tried being mr hard ass. I've tried 3 different careers with 7 different teams.

I keep losing but I can't see rhyme or reason as to why that's the case. I've never felt this way about any edition of FM before.

Reached the exact same conclusion a number of weeks ago. I am used to poor results, but what can I do to respond to inexplicable results?

I've been scanning the thread since then to see whether there would be any constructive feedback from the games designers or word of a truly resolved match engine, but there has been none forthcoming. Instead it's the usual array of jibes from FM groupies who believe that every version of the game is perfect, despite the multiple patches that the "perfect" game always requires.

• SI Staff
Reached the exact same conclusion a number of weeks ago. I am used to poor results, but what can I do to respond to inexplicable results?

I've been scanning the thread since then to see whether there would be any constructive feedback from the games designers or word of a truly resolved match engine, but there has been none forthcoming. Instead it's the usual array of jibes from FM groupies who believe that every version of the game is perfect, despite the multiple patches that the "perfect" game always requires.

David et al,

I have posted updates on ME changes and fixes in a separate thread which has been linked in here previously.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/320432-Next-match-engine-update-fixes-so-far...(-updated-17th-December-)

Personally I have always generally enjoyed posting in these forums since the early days but sometimes the negativity and bickering is off-putting for myself and colleagues. Most important thing is we always work to improve each release beyond the initial release, something that has become far more convenient with steam. Myself I wont use the word "patch" these days, rather "update". I think almost all software gets updated fairly regularly these days and FM is no different.

In terms of this year's ME yes its been quite tough especially for those of us who follow these forums. Last year we made zero ME changes for FM2012 and instead reworked certain parts of the ME for this release. While I am totally convinced many aspects of the ME have benefited from this I accept there were some rough edges ( goalkeepers, plus some defending issues in particular ) and all I can say is we've spent the last few months trying to iron out as many of those as possible. I'm also grateful to the likes of wwfan for having the patience to help some users get the best out of the game as this year's ME is far less forgiving tactically than its predecessors ( something I am delighted about btw ;) ).

The next update isnt far away anyway, we have always tried to do an update before Xmas and this year is no different.

Paul

So it has already been decided that the patch will just cause as much *fury*(for want of a better word) on these forums as before the patch?

Just so you guys know that for example FM11 and 12 had quite a few problems but after the main patch(yes this is the main patch) hit mostly everyone was happy and went and played the game.

Yes this is a new ME but they have had a few weeks to sort out the problems so I am very hopeful.

No idea why you guys are trying to stoke the fires,let them release the patch and see where we are at.

No they were not. The same people were still on the forum day in day out complaining. I dont really agree with the way MacZidane goes about his defending but he is right, the patch will not change much, the forums will still be the same, the same people will still be complaining and nothing much will change, thats the nature of it all.

(before you start, i've not been on here for most of the last week because i have been happily enjoying FM, sadly im now back at work and cant play it :D )

"Before you start"

Before I start what?

I had a few complaints about FM11,after the Christmas patch hit I was very happy playing the game,sure there will be a few on here complaining but no where near what we have seen since release,if the patch does address the bigger problems which it does seem to be aiming at I think most players will just get on with their saves or start their saves.

"Before you start"

Before I start what?

I had a few complaints about FM11,after the Christmas patch hit I was very happy playing the game,sure there will be a few on here complaining but no where near what we have seen since release,if the patch does address the bigger problems which it does seem to be aiming at I think most players will just get on with their saves or start their saves.

Its like this every year at release and at every update, almost without fail.

"Before you start"

Before I start what?

I thought you were one who was posting along the lines of "why are you posting on here if you enjoy the game", apologies if i had you mistaken with someone else. :)

Chances are I'll be happy once the patch is out. Normally takes til Xmas before the game is satisfactory. I play the game beforehand of course but the pre Xmas patch normally sorts out any major flaws with the game. Its perfect by the time the February/March patch comes out.

David et al,

I have posted updates on ME changes and fixes in a separate thread which has been linked in here previously.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/320432-Next-match-engine-update-fixes-so-far...(-updated-17th-December-)

Personally I have always generally enjoyed posting in these forums since the early days but sometimes the negativity and bickering is off-putting for myself and colleagues. Most important thing is we always work to improve each release beyond the initial release, something that has become far more convenient with steam. Myself I wont use the word "patch" these days, rather "update". I think almost all software gets updated fairly regularly these days and FM is no different.

In terms of this year's ME yes its been quite tough especially for those of us who follow these forums. Last year we made zero ME changes for FM2012 and instead reworked certain parts of the ME for this release. While I am totally convinced many aspects of the ME have benefited from this I accept there were some rough edges ( goalkeepers, plus some defending issues in particular ) and all I can say is we've spent the last few months trying to iron out as many of those as possible. I'm also grateful to the likes of wwfan for having the patience to help some users get the best out of the game as this year's ME is far less forgiving tactically than its predecessors ( something I am delighted about btw ;) ).

The next update isnt far away anyway, we have always tried to do an update before Xmas and this year is no different.

Paul

This is a shame.

David et al,

Paul

Good post Paul.....

Even with the few problems we have in this match engine I have to say I agree with you that it's turned out much more unforgiving, which in turn has made FM much more of a challenge this year. Once you get the goalkeeper, defender and a few other odds and sods sorted I reckon this will be the best version of FM by a long way.

Well I for one will wait for the patch now and hopefully continue with my save and be quite happy,I think 1 thing for sure is I will be done with GD,I will just stick to the other sub forums from now on.

Life is to short.

Head to the tactical and training discussion thread, always filled with excellent articles and pieces :thup:

Thanks for the post Paul. I have criticised this years ME but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work you and your team do. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that why either.

Hopefully the patch will fix any problems we are having. And hopefully its before Xmas.

Well your kind of damned if you do and damned if you dont. You got criticised for not making any changes to the last ME and when you do for FM13 you get smashed for it. A majority of us level headed posters realise its no perfect ME but its an evolutionary thing, the greater goal was always at the front of our minds and have helped with the constructive critiscm, which thankfully you have seem to have taken on board. To be honest, some of the cristicm on this post has been down right awful, I dont know many games where the developer takes in so much of the forum feedback and implements it so hats off to you for listening :thup:

I look forward to the new patch bashing :D

Archived