Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They already are making us beta-test their game, why can't we beta test their patches? The ME is up to v1322 already, so why can't we just test that if we want to?
Have you seen how much criticism a perfectly playable piece of software gets? Imagine if it was considered half-finished by SI!!!

that would essentially be beta-beta-testing no?

To be completely honest, i love the challenge on this Fm, I've only won the champions league once in my 5 seasons, and that was because messi had an off day, every other time i've been knocked out in semis.My only problem is the niggly visual bugs and the lack of longshot and freekick goals(Both my favourite things irl so it's kinda personal)

Although 2012 is ending, problems are still exist.
Well try and stick it out a bit longer, there is a new patch which the developers say will hopefully be released before christmas, so perhaps some of your problems may be resolved by the time 2012 does actually reach a conclusion. On peut espérer

Well try and stick it out a bit longer, there is a new patch which the developers say will hopefully be released before christmas, so perhaps some of your problems may be resolved by the time 2012 does actually reach a conclusion. On peut espérer[/QUOT

I hope most recently published..

Well try and stick it out a bit longer, there is a new patch which the developers say will hopefully be released before christmas, so perhaps some of your problems may be resolved by the time 2012 does actually reach a conclusion. On peut espérer

I hope most recently published..

They already are making us beta-test their game, why can't we beta test their patches? The ME is up to v1322 already, so why can't we just test that if we want to?

You want the people who post on here to beta test this game? Dear Christ...

.My only problem is the niggly visual bugs and the lack of longshot and freekick goals(Both my favourite things irl so it's kinda personal)

Yip, agree with that. Would like to see more DFKs and long shots go in. That seems to be a fairly universal criticism. There's still a few visual bugs, but I kinda hope they leave some of them in, as they portray calamitous mistakes which adds depth to the game IMO.

Pull your fingers out SI. The world ends on the 21st of Dec you know!! ;)

This game beeing quite hard and the fact you have to really make some effort to win each mach, I am overjoyed right now because I have absolutely destroyed Uruguay in Montevideo with my Chile team :D..absolutely brilliant opening 25 mins with 4 clear cut chances! At the end I have destroyed them 3-0 and game before this I've come from 2 goals down agains Argentina to draw 2-2. Feking great! In FM12 I could never be happy like this because winning was easy, here it is tough so to see your team play like this just feels great.

Oh and Vidal is awesome :D

I wanted to give it one more chance, so I started a new game after a month without playing, but this is just ridiculous. Just when I'm starting to enjoy the game such thing happens and ruins everything. I'm done with this game, at least until the next patch.

[video=youtube;999xrIFtYyc]

[video=youtube;TzguEn6dFFs]

I spoke to a couple of guys at work today, both of whom are long time players of FM, and neither of whom have been anywhere near this forum. Talked at length about the game and what they thought of it. Both thought it was a bit more difficult than previous versions, both agreed FM Classic was a good move, but just not for them, and both have been thoroughly enjoying the game since it started.

Neither of them mentioned 'match engines' or 'patches' at any point throughout the discussion.

Forums like these are great, but I often feel they can also influence the way someone perceives the game. There'll be thousands of people up and down the country just like the two guys I spoke to today, who enjoy the game immensely without fretting about this or that being 'broken' because they've read about it a million times on the internet.

The game does still have a few flaws, SI are working on fixing them, but the game as it stands right now is still a highly playable, fantastic piece of software.

I actually signed up to this forum because I couldn't bear the match engine. I bought FM 12 pre release but the me (granted it was FM11 me) wasn't so frustrating I had to log on to this forum to see what's going on. I have now come to accept it was bound to have its flaws as its on a new ME and I'm happy to see SI staff continuously trying to work it out too

been trying to write a nice well thought out post for about 10 minutes now but words are failing me - its s**t

Could have spent those ten minutes coming up with constructive feedback but im sure your two word quality feedback will be thoroughly analysed by SI

Am I right in thinking wide play/wingers for the human managers just doesn't work? I did a little experiment and played the same game several times with Matt Jarvis on different settings. Run with ball often, crossing often, RWB Mixed, Crossing Mixed, Hug Touchline, Normal wide play, Cross from mixed, cross from byline all sorts. His stats are Pace 16 - Dribbling 15 - Crossing 12 - Acceleration 18 so not a bad winger, not the best but not bad. Granted I only watched games in comprehensive highlights but I didn't see Jarvis tale on a full back and get a cross in once. He didn't even get there and cut back to try and make a cross absolutely nothing all very disappointing.

My feelings are that in all areas of the game SI have tried to make the experience "life like" which is great, but the ME in it's current form is not life like in many ways. Villa's great goal yesterday, an intricate back heel to an oncoming player, not in a million years would you see that in FM. Granted, Rooney's glaring miss from 10 yards we do get but it's the basics not working that are most frustrating like defenders not defending or wingers like the above not seemingly even trying to do what their stats allow them to do. All players on both sides seem one paced or not paced according to their stats and that is a criticism on both AI and human teams. I have seem Andy Carroll dribble away from a quicker midfielder much to my amusement and have been on the other end of a Usain Bolt like Peter Crouch splitting my defenders apart (so much for the tactical awareness of mine playing a high line against supposedly slower forwards!)

Goals scored on both teams are too similar, it's like the game is coded to allow only a handful of goal scoring opportunities. Once in a while you will have an unbelievable experience like I did when Yossi Benayoun scored a Marco Van Basten like volley from an impossible angle, sadly though the player has done bugger all since and trying to recreate that tactically?! No chance!! And oddly enough the player who "crossed" for that volley? Matt Taylor - skinning the full back despite being the slowest player on the pitch! Free kicks are hopeless, corners even more so (do FM players not head it down?!) and don't get me started on my full backs just hoofing it straight to the opposition when my winger is only feet away and one of the biggest issues is player movement, there isn't any!!!

Maybe the problem is that player instructions are too limiting. You ask a tall target man to hold up the ball but if a ball is played over the top for him to run on too what does he do? Stop and hold up the ball? What about a player on short passing but there is no option available than a longer pass or a player on easy tackling when what he needs to do is slide into the opponent and whack him into the advertising hoardings! I have argued for years on this game that 99% of those of us that play football do all these things "mixed". I can't tackle for toffee but if needs must I will slide tackle the full back, I don't think to myself "My manager has put me on easy tackling so best leave it". I'm not the best dribbler but if an opportunity presents itself I will run with the ball, I may fall over it but I have attempted to take advantage of space. Sure you can't have centre backs gallivanting forward at every opportunity but things like tackling, running with ball, through balls, long shots and even wide play you play according to circumstance and opportunity not by an instruction given to you by a manager.

FM has promise to be a great game but only when small additions are forgotten about and all efforts are put in the ME which is the match, the whole essence of football will it become a great game. If you get the ME to work 100% and simulate real life football only then you have the opportunity to say to those who are complaining - "It's your tactics!"

Am I right in thinking wide play/wingers for the human managers just doesn't work? I did a little experiment and played the same game several times with Matt Jarvis on different settings. Run with ball often, crossing often, RWB Mixed, Crossing Mixed, Hug Touchline, Normal wide play, Cross from mixed, cross from byline all sorts. His stats are Pace 16 - Dribbling 15 - Crossing 12 - Acceleration 18 so not a bad winger, not the best but not bad. Granted I only watched games in comprehensive highlights but I didn't see Jarvis tale on a full back and get a cross in once. He didn't even get there and cut back to try and make a cross absolutely nothing all very disappointing.

My feelings are that in all areas of the game SI have tried to make the experience "life like" which is great, but the ME in it's current form is not life like in many ways. Villa's great goal yesterday, an intricate back heel to an oncoming player, not in a million years would you see that in FM. Granted, Rooney's glaring miss from 10 yards we do get but it's the basics not working that are most frustrating like defenders not defending or wingers like the above not seemingly even trying to do what their stats allow them to do. All players on both sides seem one paced or not paced according to their stats and that is a criticism on both AI and human teams. I have seem Andy Carroll dribble away from a quicker midfielder much to my amusement and have been on the other end of a Usain Bolt like Peter Crouch splitting my defenders apart (so much for the tactical awareness of mine playing a high line against supposedly slower forwards!)

Goals scored on both teams are too similar, it's like the game is coded to allow only a handful of goal scoring opportunities. Once in a while you will have an unbelievable experience like I did when Yossi Benayoun scored a Marco Van Basten like volley from an impossible angle, sadly though the player has done bugger all since and trying to recreate that tactically?! No chance!! And oddly enough the player who "crossed" for that volley? Matt Taylor - skinning the full back despite being the slowest player on the pitch! Free kicks are hopeless, corners even more so (do FM players not head it down?!) and don't get me started on my full backs just hoofing it straight to the opposition when my winger is only feet away.

FM has promise to be a great game but only when small additions are forgotten about and all efforts are put in the ME which is the match, the whole essence of football. If you get the ME to work 100% and simulate real life football then you have the opportunity to say to those who are complaining - "It's your tactics!"

Wrong. I once had an arguably even better goal, following a similar sequence of play but executed smoother.

I thought this thread was for feedback on the match engine? As soon as somebody posts constructive (or insulting/other post), you have certain posters who mock their views or describe an incident which once happened. Then we get a 2 page argument on who's wrong or right. Both the arguments and other posters arguing against their assertions are really pointless and unwelcome.

I've got a Reading save at the moment where I've got Redmond, Ince and McClean as the wingers and it seems to be working pretty well, but I think its alot to do with team instructions as well as player instructions. At the moment I'm playing an attacking formation with passing focused down the wings. I've got short passing, as I think if you're too direct the ball just bypasses them. Think it helps to have attacking full backs too, otherwise the winger will get doubled up and they will struggle to beat their markers. Equally if I'm playing on the counter, if I focus the passing down the wings it seems to do pretty well.

As for the player instructions, I'd get them to run with the ball often, cross often, hug the touchline and cross at the byline. I'd also get them to aim their crosses for a target man (I've got Andy Carroll on mine) as I think this is the most effective.

I thought this thread was for feedback on the match engine? As soon as somebody posts constructive (or insulting/other post), you have certain posters who mock their views or describe an incident which once happened. Then we get a 2 page argument on who's wrong or right. Both the arguments and other posters arguing against their assertions are really pointless and unwelcome.

Exactly this ^^^

Why not just shut this thread down seeing as new ME on its way out soon. We can do it all again very soon :D

Or how about someone posts a very logical and well constructed post about their frustrations with the ME, but it contains one major factual error. Then someone else points out the factual error so that the original person isn't basing their frustration on false assumptions that they can't hope to remedy (The ME doesn't know if a team is AI or Human!) Then someone else comes in arguing about people arguing, taking it off topic. Look at yourself. Mods could easily delete your nonsensical off-topic post, and this one of mine you have seduced me into.

P.s. Pointing out something happening once IRL is a valid riposte to something which happens with a similar degree of instance in the ME, if the poster of the ME video is claiming "OMG this is a disgrace this should never happen!!!". If the poster was posting suggesting that perhaps something resembled reality but was happening for the wrong reasons in the ME, then I'm sure there would be much less scope for argument.

To be honest I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, seeing as anyone genuinely showing errors is referred by the mods to the ME bugs forum. I guess this thread must just be some kind of screening processs. If so, you need people engaging in discussion with regard to the screening

Exactly this ^^^

Why not just shut this thread down seeing as new ME on its way out soon. We can do it all again very soon :D

Seconded. A patch is presumably out before Xmas, so I doubt there is much more time to do any more additions before release as it needs to be tested/balanced. So any further suggestions/issues are unlikely to be looked at before then. Its also not really feedback any more for the most part.

Or how about someone posts a very logical and well constructed post about their frustrations with the ME, but it contains one major factual error. Then someone else points out the factual error so that the original person isn't basing their frustration on false assumptions that they can't hope to remedy (The ME doesn't know if a team is AI or Human!) Then someone else comes in arguing about people arguing, taking it off topic. Look at yourself. Mods should be deleting your post and this one of mine.

P.s. Pointing out something happening once IRL is a valid riposte to something which happens with a similar degree of instance in the ME

I could post assertions which I consider important and posters come along and offer one instance in real life. I don't think it's your role to offer a rebuttal, rather the mods/SI can decide that. I'm not quite sure why somebody has that dying urge to argue against others who have complaints about the game, valid or not.

I don't normally post in this thread because the game is playable to me, but it's annoying when there is no decent conversation about the game, rather it's just slander and arguments.

I don't normally post in this thread because the game is playable to me, but it's annoying when there is no decent conversation about the game, rather it's just slander and arguments.

Not an appropriate username for someone that doesn't like arguments and sniping ;)

I've got a Reading save at the moment where I've got Redmond, Ince and McClean as the wingers and it seems to be working pretty well, but I think its alot to do with team instructions as well as player instructions. At the moment I'm playing an attacking formation with passing focused down the wings. I've got short passing, as I think if you're too direct the ball just bypasses them. Think it helps to have attacking full backs too, otherwise the winger will get doubled up and they will struggle to beat their markers. Equally if I'm playing on the counter, if I focus the passing down the wings it seems to do pretty well.

As for the player instructions, I'd get them to run with the ball often, cross often, hug the touchline and cross at the byline. I'd also get them to aim their crosses for a target man (I've got Andy Carroll on mine) as I think this is the most effective.

Thanks for that I'll try it as a team instruction. Pity the ME can't allow third man running as it seems impossible to have a full back overlap whilst winger cuts inside "sometimes", hence my notions on "mixed" because if you have a winger hug touchline he won't mix it up unless that has something to do with creative freedom which of course is a different discussion altogether!

I have experienced about 20 matches in FM2013, and 90% goals for me and my opposition is from crosses and a shot from quite a narrow angle afterwards (despite those from penalties or freekicks). I don't watch 3D games because I hate it when I see in 3D that defenders - of mine and my opposition - make so many stupid errors and decisions, but I guess everybody here are so so familiar with these "Van Basten Stuff", don't you?

On the other hand, Messi or Villa or Cavani - players who are good at finishing and with high composure - always tends to shot straight at the keeper when they receive the ball from a killing short pass. It's like playing football is all about collecting the ball, making every effort to cross byline, waiting for forwards to score, and repeating again in FM2013. This tendency - scoring from crosses but not from clear chances in middle area - has only been enhanced in ME changes so long. For me it is a big big disappointment, and the ME needs a considerable fix to change this situation.

Keep coming on here hoping the patch has been released. Is it even close? I'd rather wait for it before starting a new game because some of the ME flaws are so bad. But if we're looking at after Christmas and New Year I can't be bothered to wait. Would just have to deal with the bugs.

Keep coming on here hoping the patch has been released. Is it even close? I'd rather wait for it before starting a new game because some of the ME flaws are so bad. But if we're looking at after Christmas and New Year I can't be bothered to wait. Would just have to deal with the bugs.
They have said very recently they hope it will be before christmas, but that is all anyone knows just now. It doesn't oblige them to release it before xmas

They have said very recently they hope it will be before christmas, but that is all anyone knows just now. It doesn't oblige them to release it before xmas

Great. I 'hope' they're just covering themselves. Has to be before Xmas. Especially for the customers that will be getting the game under the tree...

Does not oblige them? I thought when buying a product, it has to come in perfect condition.

This is literally impossible when it comes to software. The potential for bugs, software and hardware incompatibilities are limitless.

Relative to most other games companies SI are vigilant and responsive towards their customer base. Ranting at them helps no-one. If you make an effort to describe your problems in more detail in the correct forum they will surely take a look at it.

I have experienced about 20 matches in FM2013, and 90% goals for me and my opposition is from crosses and a shot from quite a narrow angle afterwards (despite those from penalties or freekicks). I don't watch 3D games because I hate it when I see in 3D that defenders - of mine and my opposition - make so many stupid errors and decisions, but I guess everybody here are so so familiar with these "Van Basten Stuff", don't you?

On the other hand, Messi or Villa or Cavani - players who are good at finishing and with high composure - always tends to shot straight at the keeper when they receive the ball from a killing short pass. It's like playing football is all about collecting the ball, making every effort to cross byline, waiting for forwards to score, and repeating again in FM2013. This tendency - scoring from crosses but not from clear chances in middle area - has only been enhanced in ME changes so long. For me it is a big big disappointment, and the ME needs a considerable fix to change this situation.

90% is an exaggeration, but your overall conclusion agrees with what I have seen. Central defenders are a bit of a mess against crosses. Watching a real football game, I never get too nervous when I see a wing player dribble wide, but in FM13, I feel a sense of impending doom.

Does not oblige them? I thought when buying a product, it has to come in perfect condition.

Soon two months have passed, and we all bought ... was a greater shame that I have memory.

Launch a patch is not any favors. IS A MUST!

No product has to be perfect. Trading standards say it must be 'fit for purpose'.

As FM13 stands its probably well inside that definition, it just needs to keep being improved to get it to the status of 'a very good football management sim'.

Soon two months have passed, and we all bought ... was a greater shame that I have memory.

Launch a patch is not any favors. IS A MUST!

Posts like this make me laugh. You hassle them to get the patch out so if they release it early and its bugged then your be on here moaning again.

Every single version of FM is like this so its not as if its anything new. Games perfectly playable, just a few bugs but it doesnt stop me playing it. The patch will be out by xmas so if its xmas eve then so be it.

Your wit is as good as the constructive feedback and evidence you left in regards to the ME.. naff all.

Slate the ME fine but at least give a reason and how you can think it can be improved. Any dunce can come here and troll by saying... "this ME is ****" but it takes someone with a bit more intelligence to explain their problems and have a adult like discussion :thup:

Archived