Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, our fault he keeps picking Torres. As I said earlier the fans are all behind the team, they just don't like Benitez (or Torres), surely the rest of the team would know that and it wouldn't affect them? Don't know how much the atmosphere at the ground actually comes into it.

So, fans phoning up 5live saying they rather Chelsea lost tonight so Benitez would leave is them supporting the team?!

I know the majority of you on here will be sensible fans who can see the big picture but some of the things I have heard have been ridiculous. I still can't see why Abramovich got rid of Di Matteo, surely he was the man that should have been criticised? How could Rafa win in this situation?

Benitez confirming his exit is the best news I've had all year. Unpleasant character with an inflated opinion of his limited talent. Typical of him that he'd go out blaming the fans, his title, everything but the fact he's been an abject failure at his job. Not to mention that if he'd apologised for his comments after arriving and acting like he cared, I bet fans would have been more forgiving.

EDIT: Listening to the interview now, the interviewer gave him another chance to apologise for his comments as Liverpool manager and he just continues blaming everyone and everything but his own ineptitude. Atrocious behaviour. Are the fans having an effect on the team's performances? Probably, but everything about this situation could and should have been handled better by the manager and the board. He should never have been appointed, but with even an ounce of diplomacy and humility, he could have made his situation tenable by seeking a truce.

So, fans phoning up 5live saying they rather Chelsea lost tonight so Benitez would leave is them supporting the team?!

I know the majority of you on here will be sensible fans who can see the big picture but some of the things I have heard have been ridiculous. I still can't see why Abramovich got rid of Di Matteo, surely he was the man that should have been criticised? How could Rafa win in this situation?

Some of the fans that rang up 5live were utterly pathetic tbf (and clueless)

It's only got to that point because it's been so bad recently, but yeah I agree. And Abramovic won't get the blame because of all he's done for the club - even if it is immense frustrating sometimes.

Hilarious scouser on Five Live a minute ago trying to defend Benitez. First he skirts around any mention of the football or results (summary: he's a good manager because he donated to the Hillsborough foundation), then refuses to confirm the obvious that he's a Liverpool supporter, then won't answer the question when asked if he'd have Benitez back as their manager.

If his title was going to be a problem, he shouldn't have taken the job in the first place. If he feels fan backlash can affect the team, he shouldn't have taken the job, as he must've known it would happen. Basically, he shouldn't have taken the job, or been offered it. Nor should there have been a job to offer at that point. But that's past it now.

I don't like fans booing players, managers, whatever, it just doesn't help. I don't mind the banners, I don't think banners really have an effect as I can't see players taking the time to read the thoughts of the crowd. I don't mind the fans voicing their opinions before and after the final whistle either, just not a fan of it during the game. So I don't think the fans are massively helping the club right now, I don't think many would question that, but we're not the ones picking the team, setting up the tactics, making the substitutions or mostly motivating the players. That's where we failing. So Benitez can blame everything else if he likes, and maybe he wasn't dealt the easiest hand, but he has done nothing but made his position worse through his god awful press conferences and inept management of the team. Every manager in the Abramovich era has been sacked for less than this, and Benitez deserves to go and he's going to go. Let's just get rid now before he can do any more damage.

Now I know you all know I'm not the fondest of Chelsea being a Spurs fan and all...and I'm not posting in here just to be contentious, I really aren't. But, in a way, I do agree with what Benitez has said tonight. He knows he's gone in the summer, I doubt he'd want the job now anyways and he knows you literally hate him.

But with everything going on and the way that the teams below or around you now are catching you up, it surely, surely is time to stop the hate and just get behind the team. Loads in here state that the fans are all behind the team, which I don't doubt, but there is so much negativity from you all against Rafa that it must get to the team/squad somehow in some way and, even if doesn't create a negative effect for some, it must do some kind of damage.

Seriously who in their right mind would want the Chelsea job?

Only managers that would take the job are the ones that like a payday. Maybe you lot will end up with Ramos :D

They will get a manager that is a ****. Afterall, it's a club that is owned by a ****, has a couple of ***** playing for it and a fair proportion of it's fans are and act like ***** too. :)

There has been wide spread reports in recent times that Roman had nothing to do with the Rafa appointment, as in he didn't choose the manager. He was advised by that Ermanelo person (how the hell he is still at Chelsea is beyond me) that they should sack Di Matteo, and when they did they should get Rafa in to manage the team.

• Administrators

People seem to be failing to grasp that the fans DO get behind the team. They just also find the time to slate the **** in charge. Says it all that he's slagged off 1900 fans who've gone the length of the country tonight at 10 days notice.

People seem to be failing to grasp that the fans DO get behind the team. They just also find the time to slate the **** in charge. Says it all that he's slagged off 1900 fans who've gone the length of the country tonight at 10 days notice.

Didn't watch the game. But i assume these 'fans' traveled all that way to boo the manager and call for his head even though they were winning? If so than they deserve to be criticized regardless of how they they travel. Can work both ways criticism.

As opposed to the 40000 of your lot who have slagged him off at every home game since he first took over.

In all honesty, I'm surprised it took him this long to snap.

But it's been weeks now where you've been slating him...the message has been taken surely...now it's just time to get stop any of the chanting and booing and just get behind the team until the end of the season...especially seeing as things have been wobbling a bit for you.

Basically this.

If he just acknowledged any faults at all in his actions, people might feel slightly better towards him. All he's done tonight is made it worse.

I'm not saying that the fans have helped, I don't think a lot of them have, but we aren't making these ridiculous substitutions or failing to adequately rotate the squad and pick the right players on the day (he did well today actually, though what Marin has to do to get a game I have no idea, even Benny Noon is ahead of him), and then coming out after games we've lost or drawn saying we were doing very well. He's not helped his cause in any way, whatever he had as a manager seems to have deserted him, and things are only going to get worse

Got to say I agree with Benitez tbh. Not having a go but the abuse*** is just ridiculous. Blaming the abuse on results is just attempting to pull wool over eyes as well, it happened from the day he was appointed.

***not talking about at games as not seen any - I mean in general on social networks etc.

Didn't watch the game. But i assume these 'fans' traveled all that way to boo the manager and call for his head even though they were winning? If so than they deserve to be criticized regardless of how they they travel. Can work both ways criticism.

You really think people would take a whole day to travel up the country just to boo someone?

Not sure how many other fans would agree with this, but in my eyes Benitez refusal to apologise for the comments he made about plastic fans and what-have-you while at Liverpool was very early confirmation that this wasn't going to work. It really wouldn't have been hard to say 'I only said these things to give my team an edge' (or whatever) rather than his 'I can say what I want' methods. Not saying the fans are blameless or that some haven't gone over the top, but Benitez really hasn't helped himself, regardless of results.

Has there even been that much abuse? The games I have been to the fans are behind the team and there are isolated moments of anti-Rafa unless the result is poor.

Most of the abuse has been at away games from what I've seen/heard. Most home games there's not too much anti-Rafa chanting, just he 16th minute applause and sometimes some more negative stuff towards the end if the result and performance are poor.

I hate it when they boo Torres though, I know he's crap but it doesn't help anyone booing him.

Got to say I agree with Benitez tbh. Not having a go but the abuse is just ridiculous. Blaming the abuse on results is just attempting to pull wool over eyes as well, it happened from the day he was appointed.

Likewise, blaming the results on the abuse and ignoring all of the failures of the players and manager isn't really addressing the problems.

Right, like they'd risk Roman saying stuff it, and taking his money with him.

Sort of the point I've got in my head really, Chelsea fans can't/won't be able to protest the board in the same manner as they can the manager, so even the protests that happen against the board that Rolfe talks of will not gain any sort of bandwagon due to the majority of Chelsea fans seemingly knowing the club would be a bit ****ed without him?

Likewise, blaming the results on the abuse and ignoring all of the failures of the players and manager isn't really addressing the problems.

Agreed, not that that's his problem though because he's been given a fat pay cheque and told he won't be employed beyond the end of the season though.

From an outsider it seems like Benitez got the flack from day one for the chairman's actions rather than his own, and some fans quickly searched through his previous comments at Liverpool boss to find a time he slagged Chelsea and used that as an excuse for booing when really what they wanted to do was slate the owner that had brought them so much success.

I may be a Spurs fan but Rafa has form for this, lets not forget. Look at the way he went out of Liverpool blaming everyone but himself. Then he dismantled the Inter treble winning side almost immediately, but that was nothing to do with him, honest. Now he has taken a talented Chelsea side backwards, and that's apparently not his fault either.

This is why he was out of work for 2 years. And why he will be again.

Message hasn't been taken because the **** is still at the club. Might have done the trick tonight though.

So let's say he walks tomorrow, would you be able to get anyone experienced in to lead you through what could be a tricky run in??? I don't think there's anyone tailormade at the club to do that yet surely? And with you on a dip in form, just sacking the manager and having no one with any credentials could be detrimental maybe. Would it not be better to have Rafa there who at least has the experience of top-level management for what is now only 3 months to try to nail that top 4 spot??? Even if you still don't make it then at least you really do have something to blame him for.

P.S. I do think you'll make top 4 anyways...Rafa or not!

Gotta love British "support the manager" thing going. He's a **** and has to get the hell out. Did anyone force him to take the job? There is no reason he should be supported and accepted. He can't do literally anything to win over the fans. It's just prolonging the agony of fans watching him on Chelsea bench and dying little by little inside.

Archived