Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

Agreed, not that that's his problem though because he's been given a fat pay cheque and told he won't be employed beyond the end of the season though.

From an outsider it seems like Benitez got the flack from day one for the chairman's actions rather than his own, and some fans quickly searched through his previous comments at Liverpool boss to find a time he slagged Chelsea and used that as an excuse for booing when really what they wanted to do was slate the owner that had brought them so much success.

Thing is, Chelsea fans hated Benitez for a long time before he got the job. Have a look back at the reactions when he was linked to the job in the summer, he's never been in our good books. It's really not just deflected hatred for the sacking of Di Matteo, some of that was true at the beginning, but a lot of it is just real dislike for Benitez and a complete absence of rating him as a manager.

At least we can all agree with Rafa, it was a massive mistake to make him interim manager.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So let's say he walks tomorrow, would you be able to get anyone experienced in to lead you through what could be a tricky run in??? I don't think there's anyone tailormade at the club to do that yet surely? And with you on a dip in form, just sacking the manager and having no one with any credentials could be detrimental maybe. Would it not be better to have Rafa there who at least has the experience of top-level management for what is now only 3 months to try to nail that top 4 spot??? Even if you still don't make it then at least you really do have something to blame him for.

P.S. I do think you'll make top 4 anyways...Rafa or not!

This is the question that was asked 4-5 months ago when they appointed Rafa - there's always someone willing to take over.

Hell even Roberto Di Matteo was "interim" wasn't he?

I like that people think the problem is the fans also think we should stick with Benitez, therefore prolong the upset amongst the fans. If the results really were due to the bad atmosphere, then just sack the manager and the atmosphere instantly changes, no matter who we get in. Hell, Avram Grant would be welcomed back with open arms right now, and the great fan backing would apparently see us through.

Whereas, amongst those who see it's 95% down to the failings on behalf of the manager and players, the solution is sack the manager and bring in someone else who can adequately manage and motivate the players.

Basically, the solution is to sack the manager and get anyone in. Or let Roman just do it himself. Personally, I'm jumping on the Paul Ferreira for Manager bandwagon :thup:

He had to dismantle the Inter side as Morrati ordered it due to the huge debts and aging squad. Just like at Chelsea, he was told not to play Lamps as he'll be off and try and edge out the rest of the old guard.
That's bollocks. Lampard has been one of the better players under Rafa. Old guard is such a **** term too.

Also, it's been approaching ten years since Abramovich took over. The whole 'when he ****s off' thing is getting old, he's shown no inclination to and has shown more longevity and commitment than many owners.
Stop speaking sense. Abramovich is gonna get bored of us tomorrow and move on to his new toy, leaving us down the *******, didn't you know!

Let's be real though, JT as manager (or any player) would be diabolical.

I like that people think the problem is the fans also think we should stick with Benitez, therefore prolong the upset amongst the fans. If the results really were due to the bad atmosphere, then just sack the manager and the atmosphere instantly changes, no matter who we get in. Hell, Avram Grant would be welcomed back with open arms right now, and the great fan backing would apparently see us through.

Whereas, amongst those who see it's 95% down to the failings on behalf of the manager and players, the solution is sack the manager and bring in someone else who can adequately manage and motivate the players.

Basically, the solution is to sack the manager and get anyone in. Or let Roman just do it himself. Personally, I'm jumping on the Paul Ferreira for Manager bandwagon :thup:

I think the problem is the manager but he's still right in what he's said. He hasn't been supported enough. Doesn't make him any less to blame though.

It's possible to agree with him AND also think he's done a crap job.

Results would have got most fans accepting he was there until the end of the season. Losing to West Ham and QPR hurt. As did the CWC and League Cup. The team has completely lost its attacking flare and can't defend.

Odd timing from Rafa. Still in two competitions and not blown a chance to add more silverware to his cv.

Chelsea need to try snap up Michael Laudrup (rated him before he went to Swansea) give him 5 year deal.

Whats the point in 5 year deal?

Good manager or not, once one of the old guard gets dropped, or results slow done i.e. 3rd they'll get sacked as soon as UCL looks un-winnable.

Love how all these oppositions fans are so opinionated on what the Chelsea fans should be doing. Focus on your own teams yeah? As usual the Newcastle fans leading the charge. Least I don't have to put up with that crap supporting a League 1 side no-one give's a damn about.

I think the problem is the manager but he's still right in what he's said. He hasn't been supported enough. Doesn't make him any less to blame though.

It's possible to agree with him AND also think he's done a crap job.

He's right in some of it, I'm not disagreeing with the fact the fans haven't helped, but he seems to be completely oblivious to his failings, and doesn't listen to a lot of what the fans are complaining about, it's not all irrational hatred, a lot of them don't actually like what's he's doing with the team and his way of managing the club. From the rumours of all the training ground arguments, seems the players aren't too keen either, but he won't change no matter how poor results are

He hasn't been supported enough. Doesn't make him any less to blame though.

Sure, then again, why should he be supported? Does him staying guarantee anything? If you admit he's done a poor job then it's pretty obvious things wouldn't be much or any better if he was supported by the fans.

Supporting him makes the fans look like mugs that change in the way the wind blows.

Whats the point in 5 year deal?

Good manager or not, once one of the old guard gets dropped, or results slow done i.e. 3rd they'll get sacked as soon as UCL looks un-winnable.

Surely if the old guard were so powerful Drogba would still be here and Lampard would have a contract? :confused:

Love how all these oppositions fans are so opinionated on what the Chelsea fans should be doing. Focus on your own teams yeah? As usual the Newcastle fans leading the charge. Least I don't have to put up with that crap supporting a League 1 side no-one give's a damn about.

Pretty sure we have never criticised a manager where team has chance of winning 4 competitions.

Have a word Gman...nearly everyone on here always has an opinion about business with another club when something like this happens...doesn't mean people are slating them or having a go just for the sake of it, it's what the whole point of this board is for surely!!! Otherwise I'd get bloody annoyed that there's a whole thread about Gareth Bale that non-spurs fans are posting in ffs!

Sure, then again, why should he be supported? Does him staying guarantee anything? If you admit he's done a poor job then it's pretty obvious things wouldn't be much or any better if he was supported by the fans.

Supporting him makes the fans look like mugs that change in the way the wind blows.

I meant from day 1 but yes I agree in general.

Surely if the old guard were so powerful Drogba would still be here and Lampard would have a contract? :confused:

Erm end of contract? They can't quite go to the point of holding a gun to Romans head to give them a new deal. Even AC came close to leaving till Roman was persuaded he should be given a one year deal (even though should be a 2-3 year deal).

There's a difference between discussing football and basically calling chelsea fans classless twats/basically trolling them. Not having a go at all of you of course just the usual suspects really, i.e BG :D

That's fair enough...I haven't even resorted to calling them classless twats tonight...they haven't even needed me to ;)

Jk!

Erm end of contract? They can't quite go to the point of holding a gun to Romans head to give them a new deal. Even AC came close to leaving till Roman was persuaded he should be given a one year deal (even though should be a 2-3 year deal).

That's exactly my point. Everyone says all these players are so powerful, yet if they really were none of the above would have happened and they'd have just got the contracts they wanted straight away.

That's not his point and the contract thing is a different issue (and if Lampard doesn't get a deal for the supposed reasons spoken about in the papers, it sides with the 'old guard player power' view many have)

Typical Coventry scum approach to interrupting good old fashioned geordie classless bashing

On that note can you explain to me why Sunderland fans still seem to hold a massive grudge against Coventry for something that happened 40 years ago :D I mean let it go ffs!

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=630766&page=230

230 page thread on our relegation last season! Talk about obsessed ffs :D When I searched Coventry I found a thread for pretty much every single loss/managerial change/low attendance etc we've had in the last 6 months :D

Don't think anyone in here is denying we've got some classless twats as fans anyway, but then again, basically every club has. Anyone hoping we lose games is a ***** in my book, calling up 5Live to tell everyone about it just makes it worse. But the genuine fans who still want to boo Benitez have the right to, even if I wouldn't.

There's a difference between discussing football and basically calling chelsea fans classless twats/trolling them. Not having a go at all of you of course just the usual suspects really, i.e BG :D

I've never shied away from the opinion that they've always been a pish club, but that was exacerbated by the Russian coming in 10 years ago. You can't polish a turn no matter how much cash you spend on it.

That's exactly my point. Everyone says all these players are so powerful, yet if they really were none of the above would have happened and they'd have just got the contracts they wanted straight away.

There's a reason why they're not being given new deals because of the power they have in the dressing room. Been reported loads that Roman is still seething that they pretty much forced AVB out, and as a result he want's the 'old guard' out. The next big moment will be JT next season as he'll be entering his last year on contract. Him and AC could well leave on frees.

On that note can you explain to me why Sunderland fans still seem to hold a massive grudge against Coventry for something that happened 40 years ago :D I mean let it go ffs!

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=630766&page=230

230 page thread on our relegation last season! Talk about obsessed ffs :D When I searched Coventry I found a thread for pretty much every single loss/managerial change/low attendance etc we've had in the last 6 months :D

It's incredible isn't it. Our fans really are the weirdest bunch. In fact as somebody who's grown up in the South but have an entire family across Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham etc, I can honestly say that North East football fans as a whole are completely different to anywhere else. The sense of entitlement and frustration that nobody appreciates them as much as they should is rife up there. Hence why Sunderland fans are still furious about Coventry, and why we will hate Darren Bent forever etc.

Both clubs are incredibly well supported, more so than most people realise, but because of that there is a constant sense that they should be given more credit by the rest of the country and it leads to constant frustration, anger and resentment. Newcastle have been more successful recently so get the reputation for their fans thinking theyre bigger than they are, but we're as bad, just nobody notices because we've not been successful enough for anyone to care.

There's a reason why they're not being given new deals because of the power they have in the dressing room. Been reported loads that Roman is still seething that they pretty much forced AVB out, and as a result he want's the 'old guard' out. The next big moment will be JT next season as he'll be entering his last year on contract. Him and AC could well leave on frees.

Like modern day Shakespeare this almost...like one of his tragedies!!! Which play would Chelsea resemble at the moment then??? And which characters would be some of the Chelsea personnel???

Gone all high-brow now :D

Yeah whilst I don't think I know a single Coventry fan who has any sort of opinion on Sunderland. I can't even really hate Sunderland fans for hating on us, I just feel sorry for them really :D When grown men really seem to care about the fate of a club hundreds of miles away, two divisions below them and with whom they've had very little recent history between you really do have to wonder for their sanity.

The North East really does seem to be another country entirely at times.

I don't feel sorry for Rafa at all. He's not done well enough, either on or off the pitch. His attitude and ability in his last two jobs now will make him incredibly unlikely to get anywhere near a top job next and it's all his own doing.

The only issue I have with the fans is that it will look like their actions have had an impact, so it means fans up and down the country will continue to do similar things in the future, which I really don't agree with.

He's still not the worst manager in the league like that tit jmr said(or maybe it was footballmanager94), but his position seems pretty untenable even in the very short term. At the same time, It's really difficult to move for a manager at this stage. Especially when CL spot is at stake. Without a manager it could spiral out of control and finishing 5th would be possible. Thought that will be an improvement on last season I suppose :brock:

if Rafa is upset about some booing and silly 16th minute applauses, then he should wait until Spurs play them where he'll hear what some fans are truly capable of :lol:

Archived