Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Podolski for me is just not cut out to be a winger. Yes, he's assisted a couple of goals, but he shows very little or no movement going forward on the left. The number of times yesterday when Vermaelen got the ball, and had to play it back across because Podolski was floating around the middle of the pitch was too often.

I still think we should be able to get top 4, getting another attacking player in during January, whether that be a Zaha or a Llorente/Huntelaar (with the former obviously being most likely, Llorente and Huntelaar more like pipe dreams caused by random rumours in tabloids or twitter, we've even been linked with Cavani today but the chances of that happening are about the same as us winning the quadruple this season) is important as well as Walcott "signing da ting" as it were. At the moment it looks like it will be between us, Spurs and Everton - our game with Spurs next weekend will probably give us a good idea of where we're at, although we're not in great form at the moment.

Rather have Charlie Austin or Jordan Rhodes than fricken Zaha.

erm, Zaha is really really good. I know Austin quite well and have a lot of time for him, but he's not in Zaha's league :D

If Theo signed a contract AND we got Zaha i'd be very happy indeed. Not too fussed by Sagna, even though he is a quality player.

Podolski said to the German press after the game against Schalke that he is not enjoying playing where he is and that he want's to play in the center.

Podolski said to the German press after the game against Schalke that he is not enjoying playing where he is and that he want's to play in the center.

Yep, basically he doesn't want to have to track back and defend (which he barely does anyway). When he has played centrally this season he's been anonymous, so I doubt it will happen unless there's an injury to Giroud.

• SI Staff
Yep, basically he doesn't want to have to track back and defend (which he barely does anyway). When he has played centrally this season he's been anonymous, so I doubt it will happen unless there's an injury to Giroud.

He played centrally in one match this season, not sure that qualifies enough to judge.

Well, a change of formation is a start. Or should we not change it because it wouldn't solve everything?

Our formation is horrible. Was built for Cesc Fabregas. So why are we still using it?

It is different to how we played with Cesc. That it is the same formation is irrelevant the way we play within it is different.

I can't think of one good team who plays with 4-4-2. It leaves you short in the centre of midfield normally unless you have a forward who can drop off and in effect play in midfield.

The formation is irrelevant it is what happens within it which matters. Currently there is minimal belief so the passing is too slow and players aren't taking risks. That is the issue.

I can't think of one good team who plays with 4-4-2. It leaves you short in the centre of midfield normally unless you have a forward who can drop off and in effect play in midfield.

The boys at Old Trafford say hi (depending on the day of the week, the opposition and what Sir Alex had for breakfast).

I would call it a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 depending on who you play. As SAF said he has never played a 4-4-2. Which is the point you have the player who can increase the numbers in midfield with Rooney we don't. Previously we had Bergkamp or RVP who would play in between the lines. Our players who can do that are more midfielder. The actual difference is minimal.

However there is a case say against Reading at home or whoever playing 2 out and out strikers up top if they are playing very deep. That doesn't really solve much

I would call it a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 depending on who you play. As SAF said he has never played a 4-4-2.

The same SAf who said he's never played with a pure DM, despite that being what Keane was in the latter stages of his career. You could take the United line-up in any given game and call it 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-2-2, 4-2-4 and any number of other formations. But there are times where we play 4-4-2 :D

The same SAf who said he's never played with a pure DM, despite that being what Keane was in the latter stages of his career. You could take the United line-up in any given game and call it 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-2-2, 4-2-4 and any number of other formations. But there are times where we play 4-4-2 :D

Well quite which is why the whole notation thing is nonsense. The issue is confidence the system is irrelevant at the moment would solve nothing. this is forgetting that our squad just isn't suited to it.

City play 442 as well.

Meh, their strikers are much more flexible than ours. They also have the central midfield to carry it off in more matches than we can.

I think we should both just play 442 on Saturday, could end up 9-9.

I like this idea.

I have no idea what to expect from the derby.

Quite alot of players from both teams on Internation duty

7 of ours(1st team and sub bench players) http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/45828/international-watch-gunners-away-on-duty

Huddlestone and Caulker for tottenham not sure who else, Defoe gets a rest for the the weekend so id imagine if AVB has a brain he will start him against us due to his form and freshness.

There was another AST meeting tonight. Many a thing discussed, not just whinging about the Arsenal board.

One of the things disclosed was that every Barclays Premier League club will receive £45 million, next season, in TV money. Both Chelsea and Manchester City, apparently, have to "bank it" while we could spend it. Also, the safe standing system is one that's being considered by the Premier League. Not only will this slash ticket prices, but it will also keep our match day revenue at a similar income as to what it is now - largely due to the increased capacity.

Does anyone remember how I said Mertesacker was better than Terry before I got banned, and you all called me deluded?

I believe I have proved you wrong

John Terry? , hes much better than Mertesacker, i think if you asked any one with a brain who they would rather have in their team they would choose Terry

John Terry is better than any central defender we've had at the club since Adams retired. He might be a **** off the pitch but if I could go back 10/11 years and convince Wenger to sign Terry and mould him into the future captain/leader of the club I definitely would. Imagine how good a Cole/Terry/Campbell partnership could have been.

John Terry is better than any central defender we've had at the club since Adams retired. He might be a **** off the pitch but if I could go back 10/11 years and convince Wenger to sign Terry and mould him into the future captain/leader of the club I definitely would. Imagine how good a Cole/Terry/Campbell partnership could have been.

Campbell was a better defender than both Adams and Terry.

Enjoying SJ234 on this page. No one plays 4-4-2 guys. Did I even mention 4-4-2?

Archived