Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank You Adebayor!

He was the difference between victory and defeat today.

FFS cant we just give our players some ****ing credit once in a while. Yes it did help he wasnt on the pitch but jesus we did actually play well enough to win that. Poor start and random nervous 10 minutes but we played some very good football. Sagna was putting in some great crosses, Giroud, Pod and walcott worked really hard up front, Wilshere was everywhere Santi looked good. Even Santos managed to not mess up.

Well, there isn't much one can draw from that game. Great to get the win but I didn't see any indications that our recurring failings are improving.

PerMer and Kos were great, but we still managed to switch off at times. Whats happened to Arteta lately?

Well, there isn't much one can draw from that game. Great to get the win but I didn't see any indications that our recurring failings are improving.

Well, considering one of our failings is confidence, I think that one is certainly improved :D

Also, the goals were spread around, so that's another good point.

One of the ways to shut us down used to be to force us out wide, and watch and Sagna and Clichy waste ball after ball. Our crossing, especially from the right, is much improved from those days, especially now that we have a proper target in Giroud.

The Sagna/Walcott combination did really well last season, and I think they're actually even better this year. Once we have Gibbs backs, I think attack down the left will help balance things out as well.

PerMer and Kos were great, but we still managed to switch off at times. Whats happened to Arteta lately?

Hes been one of our best players this season alot of the time, but hes likely tiring from having to chase the ball down alot more than he's used to, which is where we miss diaby i guess, could do with getting a injury resistant physical midfielder to give him some slack.

Sandro was lucky to be on the pitch by the end of the game, i lost count how many times the ref let him off.

Just re-watched the highlights. Giroud is so great in the air. He sets up the 4th goal by winning the header off the goal kick, and that reminded me of the Fulham match, where I remember specifically watching him and he won every header bar 1 off a goal kick which was sent towards him.

Arteta was really good today. And Mertesacker was pretty average today for me.

seriously i must have turned up to the wrong ground this afternoon if you thought Arteta had a good game. He was slow, got caught on the ball far too often and really paniced at times. Not the Arteta weve seen this season.

And PerMEr was awesome on the whole

I didn't think he was that good tbh

There are moments when I see what I love about him but he can't sustain it yet.

Disagree to some extent the amount of running he did today was fantastic, making runs all over the place, was everywhere. Took the tricky option at times rather than the simple ball, but had a good game overall

seriously i must have turned up to the wrong ground this afternoon if you thought Arteta had a good game. He was slow, got caught on the ball far too often and really paniced at times. Not the Arteta weve seen this season.

And PerMEr was awesome on the whole

Mertesacker cannot be considered 'awesome on the whole' when he was massively exposed for the first goal. Defoe had the beating of him time and time again before Adebayor got sent off.

And yeah you must have? As I didn't see him panic at all?

Your both right and wrong imo, Per was exposed by Defoe's pace and his poor positioning at the start of the game, but as they went down to 10men, defoe had to sit deeper to help defend of course, after which Per looked more comfortable, we can only speculate at how he and the defoe battle would of faired for the rest of the game if the red card didnt happen, personally i think we would of got hit alot on the counter when we kept pushing up, but thats irrelevant.

Arteta was not the player we have seen in previous games, he was caught napping a handful of occasions towards the latter end of the game, could just be down to tiredness and like i said before i still think our midfielders are having to cover alot more ground than they should or are even used to.

This is my own observations of course, and i hope Wilshere has a good run of fitness and form!... for ours and englands sake.:thup:

How ridiculously lucky are we to have Wilshere?

We're watching the rise of one of the clubs greatest ever players. The sooner he is captain the better.

Yeah, hopefully he can keep playing and full fill his potential. We've always had one exceptional, top class player, even when we weren't winning trophies. We always had one stand out star who could get in any team. Henry, followed by Fabregas, followed by Van Persie. I feared this season would be the first time we haven't really had that, but I suppose Jack is (will be) that man. Cazorla is up there too obviously.

I think to describe Henry as the 'one' stand-out star does his team-mates an unintentional disservice. ;)

Probably 5/6 of that team would get into just about any team in the world: Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Ljungerg, Overmars, Jeffers etc.

/One of those isn't serious

I think to describe Henry as the 'one' stand-out star does his team-mates an unintentional disservice. ;)

Probably 5/6 of that team would get into just about any team in the world: Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Ljungerg, Overmars, Jeffers etc.

Of course, that group of players was exceptional. 3 of those plus Henry would be in the greatest Arsenal team ever, let alone at that time. I'm talking about after that team split, the more recent trophy less years. At the least we still had one superstar.

Take your point about one of those not being serious..that Bergkamp wasnt fit to lace Jeffers boots :brock:

gun__1279092860_jeffers_francis.jpg

Ian Wright on ESPN Classic just now. Absolutely loved watching him play. His enthusiasm, movement and finishing making him possibly the best natural goalscorer of his generation.

Absolute joy to watch and a massive hero through the 90's. People say if you watch youtube vids of players it makes them look better than they are/were, but if you watch vids of wrighty it doesn't do him enough justice!

That depends on two things, surely? How important it is for him to play as a striker (and what Liverpool promise him in that regard) and how much more Liverpool would be willing to offer him. Let's say the offer him a striker role and 20% more than Arsenal do, makes more sense then.

You know, apart from it being Liverpool, that is

I thought Liverpool were trying to cut the wage bill? They definitely wouldn't play him upfront either, though that wouldn't stop them saying they would.

Even if they promise him those things and pay him more, how could he bring himself to go to a club who don't play champions league anymore?

Archived