Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our manager last year said that we would not sell both Cesc and Nasri and that we don't sell our top players. People lie, in football more-so. Come August 31st I think Bilbao accept £20m.
athletic is not = arsenal

we have no need to sell him from an economical perspective, and we simply cant buy a better player to replace him, its very possible that Urrutia think that one more 30 goal season is worth £20m, also from a purely political perspective it would probably win him lots of points to not bow down under pressure in a situation like this unless he have a very good reason for it (if he strip the club of important first team players and sell like wenger does, he will probably get voted out of office sooner rather then later)

I actually really like Chamakh, watching that video and he used to be such a great player. I want him to do well for us. I just go back to the season after Thierry left, no one gave us a chance, but up stepped Adebayor, who had a great season. Maybe Chamakh can do the same.

I don't think Chamakh has been the same since the banning of snoods :(

I think a RB cover will come in, a DM if Song leaves and maybe another attacking mid/winger. I'm not sure AW will go for another striker...

going to be another long, miserable season of mediocrity. which, after the invincibles team, is really unforgivable. way to take a club apart bit by bit dudes.

Exactly right. All masterminded by Wenger.

This is his last season.

So, I've spent some of this morning reading through all the posts made since the transfer was announced, and for once I can see everyone's POV. I personally am in the "**** him, let him go off and try and win trophies at United" camp, because he's 29, been fit for about 50% of the last 5 years and has only had one outstanding season in the EPL. We've got £24M for him. That's a nice chunk of money, that hopefully we will use to sign Llorente. I personally think that he would fit in well to the type of system that we play, got great touch, technique and can finish.

Having said that, there is no loyalty in football anymore. None. Giggs, Gerrard and Scholes are the last of a dying breed. Players will come and go, but it's our club. As fans we are loyal to the club and by proxy to the players that play for us. But when they leave the club will still be ours. Not theirs.

I still feel if we start the season with the squad we have now (minus some of the deadwood) we are in a stronger position than last year. If Song goes then he will definitely need to be replaced though.

Essentially we have replaced RVP with Giroud, Benayoun with Podolski and added Cazorla. On top of that hopefully Diaby and Wilshere can make an impact this season.

going to be another long, miserable season of mediocrity. which, after the invincibles team, is really unforgivable. way to take a club apart bit by bit dudes.

What the **** are you talking about? Miserable season of mediocrity? This thread is full of ****ing whingers and complainers, you don't know how good we've got it.

We've actually IMPROVED from last season, a season in which we lost three players and IMPROVED then too. WAY TO TAKE THE CLUB APART ARSENE!!11!!11!!!

David Ornstein reporting this morning that Robin van Persie's move was not money motivated. Obviously being spoon-fed rubbish by the van Persie camp.

Interestingly, he also said that are not in the market for a replacement. We're looking to bring in a new right-back and 'defensive cover'.

I genuinely don't think he's motivated by money, if he was on £140k a week at Arsenal (that's just what I heard, don't know if true or not) he's hardly gonna be on much more than that at United.

I'd say after a very disappointing Euro 2012 he realised he's probably never going to win anything with Holland and revaluated his career a little bit and decided to move. He moved to a club that has won the league and the champions league over the last few seasons because he wants trophies. He is 29 afterall.

I genuinely don't think he's motivated by money, if he was on £140k a week at Arsenal (that's just what I heard, don't know if true or not) he's hardly gonna be on much more than that at United.

I'd say after a very disappointing Euro 2012 he realised he's probably never going to win anything with Holland and revaluated his career a little bit and decided to move. He moved to a club that has won the league and the champions league over the last few seasons because he wants trophies. He is 29 afterall.

He definitely wasn't on 140k a week here. He signed his contract back when is stock wasnt that high. He would be roughly on 90k a week. United are reportedly offering him in the region of 200k.

And he told Wenger and Gazidis that he was leaving before Euro 2012.

£130-140k was supposedly the size of the new contract Arsenal offered him. By all accounts he was on significantly less on his current contract - a little under £100k or so.

Anyway, I doubt this move is about money in particular, although of course that's almost always a factor.

What the **** are you talking about? Miserable season of mediocrity? This thread is full of ****ing whingers and complainers, you don't know how good we've got it.

We've actually IMPROVED from last season, a season in which we lost three players and IMPROVED then too. WAY TO TAKE THE CLUB APART ARSENE!!11!!11!!!

improved last season? you for real? cesc, nasri, clichy out and, tbh, only arteta a decent buy, maybe gervinho, who knows. may have finished third but that due WAY MORE to chelsea and tottenham wanting to do well even less than we did.

improved last season? you for real? cesc, nasri, clichy out and, tbh, only arteta a decent buy, maybe gervinho, who knows. may have finished third but that due WAY MORE to chelsea and tottenham wanting to do well even less than we did.

100% agree.

Everyone keeps saying we did better last season just because we finished one place higher. Conveniently, these people ignore the fact that Chelsea and Spurs threw it away spectacularly and only a really dodgy backup west Brom keeper got us into Europe. If you're still not convinced ask yourself how many cup finals we reached last season compared to the previous season.

He said we have improved ON last season, not improved last season. Try reading before flying off the wall Scooter :D

Er, no. He said we sold 3 players last season and improved then too. Try reading before flying off the wall.

besides, even getting Llorente would not excuse strengthening one of the two clubs we're supposedly trying to catch up, the one that may actually be reachable.

Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. We could get Ronaldo and Messi but what's the point if you sell your best players to your rivals to supplement it?

I think we can still be stronger than last season if we buy properly. Wenger can't help it. He's lost Cesc, Nasri, Clichy, RvP, and possibly Song as well. He has to rebuild even if he doesn't want to. We can still come out for the better come September 1st. Wenger needs to be ruthless. It's okay to lose Song and RvP, especially if they're well priced, if we replace them and don't stop strengthening.

If, of the starting players this summer, we lose RvP and Song, and we get 4 additions (Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla, plus one other, perhaps a defensive cover) and replace RvP and Song with good players like Llorente and M' Vila (just throwing out names that are common in this thread) then I think we're a lot stronger than last season.

If this is the end of our summer dealings, then I think Wenger has really messed up big time. The issue of losing RvP and Song will only be a problem if we don't react properly. If we do react properly, then I think we can be challenging the title.

Couple of things Song is going if he does because Wenger is tired of his attitude apparently. Also apparently Theo will be signing a new 4 year deal which I wouldn't be surprised by

Looks like Wilshere could be getting 10 which would be weird considering Podolski doesn't have a number

Archived