Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So we didn't get our business done early then? We signed a player in August and sold two of our key players in the same month. That's not getting your business done early at all.

We got the main bit done. With Cazorla being seemingly an unplanned move taking advantage of Malaga's situation. The two sales were firstly trying to get the most for RVP something we did well and Song I honestly have no idea. Bar the summer before that it is difficult to suggest we haven't got the majority of our business done early particularly incomings dealt with early on. Generally we get it dealt with early on the issue has been the lack of it

tbf we're not exactly known for buying anyone late in the window, aside from the panic buying of last season I can't remember any deadline day drama involving us since the swap deal madness with Cole/Gallas and Reyes/Baptista.

Arshavin when we got him in the Jan window whatever year that was,was about as late as you could possibly be

If we did sign him then I suppose he'd go beside Arteta or even behind Santi and Wilshere sometimes. I'd happily take him as long as he isn't played behind the striker but I imagine if Wenger wanted to sign someone to play behind the striker it wouldn't be Fellaini.

£24 million seems steep for him though but such is football these days.

I'm a huge fan of Fellaini. I grew up worshipping Vieira, and so I've always wanted us to have another dominating midfielder in there. I was really hoping Diaby could be that guy, but I gave up on him a couple years ago.

I hope its true, but I highly highly doubt it.

Also, 24 million is not bad, considering EVerton paid 15 million for him. The development and profit they put into him is easily worth 9 million i think.

I am more concerned for this excellent striker, he should be our top priority, I am not sure who it should be though as Higuain is all but Juve's and Jovetic is clearly not the ideal for what we want up front, going off his Fiorentina record anyway so I'm not sure who they will look at. Somehow if this Fellaini deal ever came off you could not see them blowing another £20million a striker, which would scare everyone and be pretty dire for us tbh.

I am more concerned for this excellent striker, he should be our top priority, I am not sure who it should be though as Higuain is all but Juve's and Jovetic is clearly not what we want up front. Somehow if this Fellaini deal ever came off you could not see them blowing another £20million a striker, which would scare everyone and be pretty dire for us tbh.

I'd agree that striker should be top priority, but I don't think two big buys is impossible. We spent a lot of money on Podolski, Cazorla, and Giroud all in one window, and would have been willing to pay the net costs, if RvP decided to stay.

With improved financials, and finally able to get rid of some deadwood (reports saying Denilson, Squid, and Arshavin departures already freed up roughly 150k/week) we have more financial muscles than ever.

Where would he play for us, don't think he is a full time DM so not sure how he fit's into a midfield with cazrola and wilshere.

Unless Cazorla is being moved out wide full time which i would not be a fan off.

Arteta, Fellaini, Wilshere, Theo, new striker, Cazorla.

Sounds good.

What on earth are you talking about? Have you ever watched him play?

The last thing I would call him is a defensive midfielder.

Have you ever been right about anything ever?

He's a DM, he wants to play as a DM, he is a DM.

Arteta, Fellaini, Wilshere, Theo, new striker, Cazorla.

Sounds good.

This would be pretty much my wet dream, depending on who the new striker is of course. I'm becoming more and more pro Benteke as the time goes by.

If that midfield and forward line became a reality we'd have quite a good squad. Podolski, Giroud, Chmaberlain, Rosicky and Ramsey all decent to very good squad players. Add in the likes of Gnabry, Sanogo and the like as good youngsters coming through then we wouldn't be doing too bad.

We don't play with a DM so he'll most likely be our box to box midfielder. If he does join, he will be like our version of Javi Martinez although limited technically.

I wouldn't say he's technically limited at all, granted he won't be spraying 40 yard passes around, but his ball control and heading are excellent. His stature can be deceptive.

This Gazidis interview is a must read. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-chief-ivan-gazidis-qa-1936217

Impossible to read that and not get excited about the future, this summer included. You might say he comes out with this every summer but this is much more extreme.

Also, he manages to squeeze the words 'extraordinarily ambitious' into two consecutive sentences. :D

This Gazidis interview is a must read. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-chief-ivan-gazidis-qa-1936217

Impossible to read that and not get excited about the future, this summer included. You might say he comes out with this every summer but this is much more extreme.

Also, he manages to squeeze the words 'extraordinarily ambitious' into two consecutive sentences. :D

Reporters ask some of the dumbest questions though. Interesting reading but action is preferable to talk.

The usually reliable GeoffArsenal says we've contacted Everton over Fellaini but he doesn't know anything about a matched release clause. He also says if we can match Rooney's wage demands then he will become an Arsenal player.

I wouldn't be shocked if we bought Fellaini, I'd still be extremely surprised if we bought Rooney though.

The usually reliable GeoffArsenal says we've contacted Everton over Fellaini but he doesn't know anything about a matched release clause. He also says if we can match Rooney's wage demands then he will become an Arsenal player.

I wouldn't be shocked if we bought Fellaini, I'd still be extremely surprised if we bought Rooney though.

Given Rooney has been a shadow of the player of what everyone knows he can be, i'd prefer we focussed elsewhere for a forward.

Given Rooney has been a shadow of the player of what everyone knows he can be, i'd prefer we focussed elsewhere for a forward.

:D :D :D

Wayne Rooney would automatically be our best player by some distance if he signed.

I wouldn't be too worried about that. Not that I think we'll sign Fellaini and/or Rooney but Ornstein just reports what the press office tell him. They'd obviously deny everything one way or another.

Van Persie to resume talks with Arsenal when back from Caribbean break. He's keen to stay, with or without new contract. Ball in #afc court.

Can confirm Arsenal move for Arteta is completely OFF but Benayoun is now likely to join on loan from Chelsea #bbcfootball #afc #efc #cfc

Ornstein isn't very good at all.

That says more about us than him I think :D

Well, no, as we have some excellent players already. Rooney is the best striker we could realistically sign and if we got him motivated and fit (which I think would be easy as a move would revitalise him) then we've got one of the best players in the world at our club.

Rooney is quite clearly overrated and always has been. Doesn't mean he's not excellent but he's never imo been one of the best in the world! On top of that im not sure he's the type of striker we need?

Well we need a creative type who can score goals. Which is Wayne Rooney.

I dont want Higuain, another finisher in a team full of finishers. We need more creativity.

I dont want Higuain, another finisher in a team full of finishers. We need more creativity.

Team full of finishers, i dunno about that in theory maybe.

We need more creativity sure but we lack a goal scoriing striker aswell.

You're kidding right? Team full of finishers? :D

I get the feeling Villa is just a back up plan if all else (Rooney, Jovetic, Higuain, Benteke etc.) fails. Could be worse back up plans tbf but I'd be extremely underwhelmed if we just signed Villa but I do think we'll get one of the better strikers we're after.

Theo and Podolski are finishers, we have enough of those.

Neither of them are proper strikers though tbf. And our only striker is the last person you'd call a finisher. But I agree with the sentiment that I'd prefer a Rooney type but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Higuain either.

Theo and Podolski are finishers, we have enough of those.

Podolski when he plays as the front man does not look up to it his movement just isn't good enough and while walcot can score goals i would not call him a finisher and i don't think wenger will ever play him as the central striker.

Don't get me wrong if we could get a motivated rooney who was going to change his life style in order to play at the top level another 4 or 5 years i would take him in a heart beat.

Archived