The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He certainly was to an extent, but that's not exactly what this is about. Guess you wanted the cheap shot though ;)
If only they gave league titles for singing a Celtic song really loudly during big Champions League games...

oh hang on, that still wouldn't help would it?

Pan, Dion and Icey (I know you did not this time but I feel like picking on you) ....you guys need to learn not to bite. :D

**** off icon, I don't bloody bite for idiots like that :D
You swallowed that one hook, line and sinker though :D

Dion spot on, for that he can share my freshly caught and fried Icelander. A little sprinkling of Paprika and a good bottle of red to wash it down.

P.S - This is payback for mocking the size of my P........ost count on Twitter

If history is anything to go by, it will be close tomorrow. Another injury time decider?

[TABLE=class: head_to_head h2h_mutual]

[TR=class: odd highlight]

[TD]09.12.12[/TD]

[TD=class: name]Manchester City

[/TD]

[TD=class: name]Manchester Utd[/TD]

[TD=class: last]2 : 3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even highlight]

[TD]30.04.12[/TD]

[TD=class: name]Manchester City[/TD]

[TD=class: last]1 : 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]08.01.12[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]07.08.11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]16.04.11[/TD]

[TD=class: last]1 : 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]12.02.11[/TD]

[TD=class: last]2 : 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]10.11.10[/TD]

[TD=class: last]0 : 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]17.04.10[/TD]

[TD=class: last]0 : 1

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I've also heard urban legends about another match, but I can't recall anything about that...

Manchester United's Carrington training ground is to be renamed the AON training complex as part of a ground-breaking naming rights agreement worth around £15m a season.

The eight-year deal, which starts in July, gives the American insurance giant the right to display its logo on training kit for friendly and competitive domestic fixtures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22060822?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

fifa, uefa, you know what i mean :p

No, I wasn't being that pedantic :D

I just mean why would the people in charge care? I can understand if it's like City where the deal is just a sham for the owners to pump money into the club but encouraging clubs to legitimately increase their revenue is part of the point isn't it? The more money clubs can attract through sponsorship the more which will eventually go back to UEFA, us successfully taking the **** just puts other clubs in a stronger bargaining position to bring in more money.

Manchester United's Carrington training ground is to be renamed the AON training complex as part of a ground-breaking naming rights agreement worth around £15m a season.

The eight-year deal, which starts in July, gives the American insurance giant the right to display its logo on training kit for friendly and competitive domestic fixtures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22060822?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Oh FFS, here we go. AON Trafford next? Or perhaps Chevrolet Arena? :mad:

It was a sad day in our history when we changed the logo from "Manchester United Football Club" to "Manchester United". It will be even worse when (?) we whore out (sell out sounds wrong somehow... :D) "Old Trafford".

Oh FFS, here we go. AON Trafford next? Or perhaps Chevrolet Arena? :mad:

It was a sad day in our history when we changed the logo from "Manchester United Football Club" to "Manchester United". It will be even worse when (?) we whore out (sell out sounds wrong somehow... :D) "Old Trafford".

The club have said that they will never sell naming rights to the stadium in the same press release.

Seems to me like selling the name to the training ground is their way around doing that.

Actually don't think United need to sell the naming rights to Old Trafford anyway as they get a ridiculous amount of money from all other options that they've been doing or are yet to do. I mean, look at this deal, what other clubs in the world could get £18m a season for sponsoring the Training Kit & the Training ground? Reckon you could count them on one hand.

Yeah, I believe the club when they say they won't sell the naming right to the stadium, they don't need to when you can get money like this for training stuff. I wonder if Etihad will suddenly sponsor City's training facilities as there's a market price now.

If you ever moved to a completely new ground then perhaps it could happen, as that seems the trend, but not sure that would happen anytime soon, if at all

Oh & according to the Telegraph. United have signed a £100m a year deal with a "leading airline" to be the clubs airline partners after the deal with Turkish Airlines expired. Due to be announced soon apparently.

£100m a year? Can't see that at all, Telegraph surely have it wrong.

Yeah, I believe the club when they say they won't sell the naming right to the stadium, they don't need to when you can get money like this for training stuff. I wonder if Etihad will suddenly sponsor City's training facilities as there's a market price now.

They already do, the new training ground complex being built opposite the ground is called the Etihad Campus

thats one way to give FIFA the finger over FFP

By running legitimate deals? We are actually trying to survive and prosper under the rules of FFP.

It is not a sham to pump money in but rather legitimately making more money to help the sham of our owners taking money out. We are the opposite of the clubs that FFP are trying to control.

The club have said that they will never sell naming rights to the stadium in the same press release.

Seems to me like selling the name to the training ground is their way around doing that.

Actually don't think United need to sell the naming rights to Old Trafford anyway as they get a ridiculous amount of money from all other options that they've been doing or are yet to do. I mean, look at this deal, what other clubs in the world could get £18m a season for sponsoring the Training Kit & the Training ground? Reckon you could count them on one hand.

I want to believe them too (and probably do). However, the club is run by a bunch of tits called the Glazers, who only care about the bottom line. If they can get away with selling off the stadium name, they will do it. And if the club can get £15 million a year for the training ground, they could probably easily get £50-100 million for Old Trafford (no idea what the market price here is, or what other clubs get). It's a worrying sign, that is all, and I don't like it one bit. At least our sponsors are legitimate deals though, which is something. We have a crapton of them though.

Guess SAF and Co will have to start calling it the AON Bollocks Complex now, instead of its actual name :(

About 2000 I think, I remember some traffic disruption as I drove nearby at the time. Any thoughts about the team for tonight? I'd like to see something like this:

DDG

Rafael (is he fit?) Vidic Ferdinand Evra

Carrick Jones

Cleverley

Rooney RVP Welbeck

Had enough of useless wingers...:thdn:

If history is anything to go by, it will be close tomorrow. Another injury time decider?

[TABLE=class: head_to_head h2h_mutual]

[TD]09.12.12

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: name]Manchester Utd

[/TD]

[TD=class: last]2 : 3

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]30.04.12

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: last]1 : 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]08.01.12

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]07.08.11

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]16.04.11

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: last]1 : 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]12.02.11

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: last]2 : 1

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]10.11.10

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: last]0 : 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]17.04.10

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: last]0 : 1

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I've also heard urban legends about another match, but I can't recall anything about that...

Conveniently leaving out the 1-6? :D

Stalin-esque altering of history

edit: ha I'm such an idiot, I didn't read your last line :D I'll leave my error untouched for y'all to laugh at

About 2000 I think, I remember some traffic disruption as I drove nearby at the time. Any thoughts about the team for tonight? I'd like to see something like this:

DDG

Rafael (is he fit?) Vidic Ferdinand Evra

Carrick Jones

Cleverley

Rooney RVP Welbeck

Had enough of useless wingers...:thdn:

I would take a narrow line-up with Welbeck replaced by Anderson or Kagawa to ensure we can seize some control from Mister Yaya. Rooney and RVP to do what they want at the tip like so.......

DDG

R-Type, Vidic, Rio, Evra

Jones

Cleverley, Carrick, Anderson (Kagawa)

Rooney, RVP

Is Evans fit? If so he should start. Need to deal with pace & Rio/Vidic aren't the fastest anymore.

DdG

Evra

Rio/Vidic

Evans

Rafael

Welbeck

Carrick

Cleverley

Nani

RvP

Rooney

Although I could see Smalling in for Rafael as Ferguson worries about Dzeko's height. Might stick Jones in for one of the wide players to run about like a headless chicken too.

This derby is basically as meaningless as a derby gets. Should go with our strengths & let them worry about us. no point trying to contain them because it rarely (if ever) works.

Away v Stoke who need a win is 1 point if SAF experiments again.

Away v West Ham who might be safe by then is 3 points.

Home v Villa should be 3 points.

Away v Arsenal is 0 points as they close in on their usual CL spot

Home v Chelsea is 0 points (see our last 2 games versus the Bridge boys and today as the reason)

Home v Swansea is 3 points as they are on holiday already.

So much for sealing it by the City game eh? :D

Damn that CL infatuation that our SAF has.

Can we give the Giggs in centre midfield a miss next time SAF eh? Oh, sure I've said this sometime this season - oh yeah that other loss at home vs Spurs. A 39 year old in the engine room for a game against your only title rivals tells me the squad is ****.

The quote I've seen from Woodward is that 'Old Trafford is not for sale'. Which looks to me like they're leaving the door open to rename the stadium in the future and claim they were referring to a sale and lease back to generate cashflow.

Boohoo? Who cares what they call the training grounds? It's hardly a chest thumping moment when someone mentions Carrington

Well that's the funny thing isn't it? Everyone is reporting that 'Carrington' is being renamed, but it's not - the Trafford Training Centre is. Which nobody refers to by it's name. Even the staff, going by the Aon press release. Shouldn't matter a jot to us or the club and looks largely like an excuse for Aon to plaster their logo everywhere for the benefit of whoever will be entertained at the conferences they are now entitled to hold there.

Bleh performance tonight, pretty much everyone seems to be on their holidays. Glad I didn't bother to get too excited about it. Don't know what's happened to us since Madrid - seem utterly bereft of any urgency. There was a 5-10 minute spell after the goal where we looked like we were going to try and impress ourselves on them but then we just sat back and waiting to concede.

Young and Welbeck were alright, and Carrick was Carrick. Thought Jones was doing well but was at fault for the second goal. Nani must be done now if we can go through four different wide players, including Valencia, without turning to him. Shame, and means we definitely need a winger in the summer.

Just looking at our upcoming fixtures and if we carry on like this there's a risk we could give city a glimmer of hope. Stoke and West Ham away and Villa at home are exactly the kind of games we can sleepwalk our way through, maybe taking an early lead and then conceding twice late on to lose. Not that I think we'll throw it away or anything, but I think we should have greater interest in making the league table reflect our dominance this season than we have shown lately.

Archived