The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see Begovic being happy as a back-up for a younger, better keeper. He's 25, pretty much first choice the last three years, don't see him fancying a change in that aspect unless it's for a much older keeper who's soon to retire

It's not on that link but I saw 15m for Begovic as well. 15m ... for a back up keeper. Nah. Nah to getting 15m for him as well tbh

Basically, Stoke signed Butland so Begovic is no doubt going somewhere so may as well link him with you.

IIRC this happened to Stoke before though. They signed Begovic as they thought Sorenson was leaving but Sorenson stayed so ended up with the pair of them (think it was like that or the other way around). I am sure Butland won't want that happening this summer

I guess it depends if Reina goes as no doubt he will be linked there too

Nice. Darren Fletcher is back in light training. I don't really expect him to come back, especially at the level he was, but hopefully this means he is getting better. Must be a great boost for him to hang around Carrington again.

If there is any hope of him playing next season then it'll be a bonus for him to have a couple of months conditioning work to get him up to something approaching a decent fitness level ahead of pre-season. Thought he was decent in his few outings in the new screening role, which Fergie suggested is the future for him if there is one.

I thought he did okay enough too, but he didn't have the engine of his former self, which is natural I guess.

However, if he comes back to some kind of competitiveness, that could be a reason to not sign a central midfielder this summer (in SAF's mind). With Anderson quite possibly leaving, to try to get into the Brazil team, we absolutely need a new body. If Carrick gets injured, we're completely boned.

Just seen that Cattermole and Fletcher have been ruled out for the season for Sunderland. Has to be an almost complete second string against them this weekend. Would like

Lindegaard

Smalling

Vidic

Evans

Buttner

Anderson

Powell

Valencia

Kagawa

Young

RvP

then

DdG

Rafael

Ferdinand

Evans

Evra

Carrick

Cleverley

Welbeck

Rooney

Giggs

Hernandez

for Chelsea. Certain there's someone I've missed :D Working on the presumption that Jones is out fwiw.

Come in number 11, your time is up.

This come across this browsing through the thread (and I'm not picking on a single post here, the thread was virtually unanimous) but what a difference a few months makes... would love to know how he's turned it around.

This come across this browsing through the thread (and I'm not picking on a single post here, the thread was virtually unanimous) but what a difference a few months makes... would love to know how he's turned it around.

Similar every season isn't it? Always gears his training to start peaking after Christmas. Like Barca and their traditional mid-season lull before picking it up for the crucial time period.

Was meant to have a better future than Danny "going to be an average winger" Welbeck iirc. :rolleyes:

Hope he gets a good permanent move this summer.

I don't think there's actually that much between Welbeck & Macheda. Or that there was much between them. It's the perfect example of how loan moves can define a young players career. Welbeck got lucky in that his loan moves worked out whilst Macheda had really unlucky spells at clubs in disarray.

Other good examples would be Cleverley & Fabio.

Not saying Macheda would've kicked on the way Welbeck has but at the time there wasn't much between them when they were first breaking into the team.

Think it's more the type of player they are. Welbeck's had next to no luck in front of goal but is big, strong, quick, runs so hard and links play nicely, whereas Kiko's a deadly finisher but apart from being quickish and a bit of a unit never really had the opportunity to develop more to his game. Still think it's pretty criminal the amount of time wasted on Owen, particularly in his last two years, when Kiko (and others) could have got some minutes under their belt.

On the topic of injuries, Petrucci has been sent back from Peterborough, after yet more injuries. A fine player, but I think his time is kind of done here. He's not a kid any more and needs games, but he seems to be injured more than fit.

Will be interesting to see how Will Keane gets on next season. Losing (almost) a whole year at that age is far from ideal. Hope he gets back into the swing of things though, and I think Wilson can play for the U18s next season too. Hopefully Keane does well until xmas or March, and can then get some first team football on loan.

How much time was wasted on Owen? Please do tell.

Date		Match			Comp	Result	Mins	Goals	Assists		Shots	On target

28/08 2010	Man Utd	H- West Ham	Prem	W 3-0	17	0	0		0	0
22/09 2010	Man Utd	A- Scunthorpe	CC	W 2-5	90	2	0		0	0
26/09 2010	Man Utd	A- Bolton	Prem	D 2-2	20	1	0		1	1
02/10 2010	Man Utd	A- Sunderland	Prem	D 0-0	45	0	0		0	0
04/01 2011	Man Utd	H- Stoke	Prem	W 2-1	12	0	0		0	0
09/01 2011	Man Utd	H- Liverpool	FAC	W 1-0	16	0	0		1	0
22/01 2011	Man Utd	H- Birmingham	Prem	W 5-0	36	0	0		1	0
29/01 2011	Man Utd	A- Southampton	FAC	W 1-2	90	1	0		1	0
09/04 2011	Man Utd	H- Fulham	Prem	W 2-0	18	0	0		0	0
04/05 2011	Man Utd	H- Schalke 04	UCL	W 4-1	14	0	0		1	1
22/05 2011	Man Utd	H- Blackpool	Prem	W 4-2	28	1	0		2	1
20/09 2011	Man Utd	A- Leeds	CC	W 0-3	90	2	0		1	0
24/09 2011	Man Utd	A- Stoke	Prem	D 1-1	80	0	0		2	0
25/10 2011	Man Utd	A- Aldershot	CC	W 0-3	90	1	0		1	1

for starters. 646 minutes over 14 games that made barely a jot of difference, but could have given a young player or players valuable exposure and experience. I've omitted games where he was brought on late on to chase a winner by suspending my disbelief that he'd make any difference.

He was useful up until his injury in the the 2010 League Cup final; Hernandez was signed a little over a month later and the writing was on the wall by the time the World Cup was over. He'd got five goals before October was out and that should have been the end of Owen's practical involvement with us, but for whatever reason it wasn't. We'd be no worse off if Owen hadn't played those games but they could have made a difference to a King, Macheda, Diouf, Morrison, Petrucci, Tunnicliffe or Pogba.

Archived