The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's 8 goals in the games that you have listed, one every 80 mins... Not bad... Just saying :)

It's not so much a criticism of his performances, more of what wider benefit they were to the club. The only goals from there against Prem teams were a dead rubber vs. Blackpool and a percentages flick-on against Bolton where he was terrible. The rest were against lower league sides in the cups where it would have been a prime opportunity to give a young player/players some first team football, particularly when you consider someone like Pogba allegedly left due to lack of games while we were playing Park in midfield because we had to play strikers on the wing to accommodate Owen through the middle.

Where's the City game on that list? He was worth it just for that.

You need that bit of experience in games and around training, etc. Which was why Owen was there. I don't see the big deal. Hernandez proved his worth. No one else did.

Where's the City game on that list? He was worth it just for that.

Was before the time period I was referencing; i.e. where he was still a relevant option, before he got injured and we signed Hernandez.

Think it's more the type of player they are. Welbeck's had next to no luck in front of goal but is big, strong, quick, runs so hard and links play nicely, whereas Kiko's a deadly finisher but apart from being quickish and a bit of a unit never really had the opportunity to develop more to his game. .

Kiko has all the bits in bold (especially as he is bigger & stronger than Welbeck) too but I always saw more potential in Welbeck as a future first team player than Kiko. Macheda had that great record for reserves (and for the less involved United fans, his goal against Villa) to thank for the expectations placed on him.

Welbeck was helped by being able to play on the left. Macheda couldn't. So the limited time he did play he was isolated up front on his own.

That might not be as much of a blessing in the long term as he could end up becoming a permanent "okay-ish" wide player rather than a top striker. The sooner he is used centrally, the better it will be for him as in a flash he could change his style mid-game to one of many types......a battering ram point man, a forward comfortable in quick link play or just a speed merchant racing through on goal.

Macheda will definitely come good, but he needs a permanent move away from us to a smaller club in a more technical league like Italy or Spain.

Kiko has all the bits in bold (especially as he is bigger & stronger than Welbeck) too but I always saw more potential in Welbeck as a future first team player than Kiko. Macheda had that great record for reserves (and for the less involved United fans, his goal against Villa) to thank for the expectations placed on him.

Yeah, I suppose the next bit of that sentence was more what I was focusing on; that Welbeck has that drive and determination whereas Kiko, though big, never really used his size or strength to his advantage. Though he's fairly quick (nowhere near Welbz mind) he's never been one to go in behind, but doesn't have the glorious first touch that Welbeck (usually) has to make him as effective linking play.

But yeah, was always obvious to anyone who watched either player regularly that Welbeck was bound for stardom while Macheda could go either way.

Kick off in 45 minutes. BBC reporting "no Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck or Ryan Giggs. Rafael, Michael Carrick, Antonio Valencia and Shinji Kagawa come into the team."

Anyone got the full team?

He won't be getting the goal though.

I don't know about that. Jonjo Shelvey was awarded the goal when we played away to West Ham. God knows how he got that.

Another boring performance, courtesy of the Young and Valencia combination

I honestly don't think Fergie will give a damn as long as you pick up three points.

Archived