The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I think that's because Young doesn't have the ceiling Nani does. There's a certain expectation that he'll be average at best and everything else is a bonus, whereas Nani is a world beater on his day.

Thats true but it doesn't mean it's right. Any excuse Nani has for playing badly Young must have as well, not that injury is any excuse for the almost complete failure to perform on almost every single occasion (apart from the game against Madrid really) from the two of them.

What also bugs me is I think Giggs might still be faster than Young and Giggs is 83.

Against City I'd start Giggs on the right and Welbeck on the left with Rooney leading the line and Cleverley/Carrick/Jones in midfield. Not of the proper wide men deserve a game.

Thats true but it doesn't mean it's right. Any excuse Nani has for playing badly Young must have as well, not that injury is any excuse for the almost complete failure to perform on almost every single occasion (apart from the game against Madrid really) from the two of them.

Nani's been mostly good or better since his long lay off; twice against Fulham, got an assist in a pedestrian performance all round against QPR, and a good half against Chelsea before his injury. Then you've got the Real game and Reading where he was terrific. Only other matches he's played this side of the first week in November are his first match back against West Ham, 18 minutes from the bench against Southampton and today. Those games above are better than any half-dozen performances from Valencia or Young this season, injury or no.

Sorry Ice, but I'll have to disagree about Young - actually think he brings (quite a bit) err something... and did make some good crosses yesterday when he came on. Was actually the most effective sub out of the three. Yes he's only got one (slightly dodgy) foot but he does have some industry about himself. Although I do agree Nani and Toni have a higher ceiling but that's not Young's fault is it? I could argue that he's achieving more than the other 2 because he's closer to his ceiling... but I won't :D

We need wingers because our diamond will never be as effective as our rivals narrow formations based on our current line-up. SAF abandoned that dream very early on when every time we fell behind early in the season we went with width for the fightback.

Young is a good squad player and better than any of our rivals 2nd string options in a fully fit squad. For the Young money, we would get a lesser player and that is a fact. Tony V is also more useful than the money we would get for him and Nani is a top class player. We can't play the same team every time and these guys are the reason that we are punching above squads that are more talented than ours.

Welbeck has regressed as a forward and by next season his "good" wing performances will be faced with our typical football fan short memories. He will be criticised for not doing this or that and will just be leaped on by the mob. SAF will use Danny up top more, Giggs will play on the wing with Valencia, Young and Zaha while we shall stupidly sell Nani. Shame to say but that is how this story ends.

Think we're going to have a fundamental disagreement on the definition of "good" :D

Subjectivity aside, the point stands that those performances were 'good-er' than any equivalent from Young (or Valencia), which was the point. Though if you're still discounting the Reading performance then you have a fundamental disagreement with anyone with half a mind.

Young isn't a left winger. He might have played a lot there but he always plays better down the middle where he is less predictable. If you play him on the left he needs a constant overlapping full back or the defence have him tucked up nicely. That is my problem with him, he isn't a bad player but I would rather a left footed left winger instead.

Every now and again he'll start with his typical cut back to cross in but then dummy and go again to the byline, completely taking the fullback out of the game. If he only did that more often then he'd be a much more threatening 'two-way' winger but for whatever reason he doesn't.

"Rooney got a groin injury playing for England. He wasn't 100% and there is no point risking players with groin injuries," said Ferguson.

"It could exacerbate itself and you could be out for weeks. Hopefully he will be ready for next Monday's game."

Subjectivity aside, the point stands that those performances were 'good-er' than any equivalent from Young (or Valencia), which was the point. Though if you're still discounting the Reading performance then you have a fundamental disagreement with anyone with half a mind.

In the same way a 5 is better than a 4.5 (and in Valencia's case a 3.5).

And the Reading game he did play well, albeit at home to a heavily rotated Reading team in which Anderson also played well. I'll still give him that I suppose since it's more than Valencia has managed.

In the same way a 5 is better than a 4.5 (and in Valencia's case a 3.5).

Well yeah, you were saying that it was unfair to 'excuse' Nani when he's had injuries but not Young - either we're comparing like with like or we're not.

Well yeah, you were saying that it was unfair to 'excuse' Nani when he's had injuries but not Young - either we're comparing like with like or we're not.

It is unfair to excuse Nani and not Young based on their performances. Not sure what you're trying to get at.

We haven't picked up a red card in 59 league games, or since Evans got sent off against City last season.

Any takers on what happens on Monday?

Red cards are like buses, you wait 59 Games for one and then 3 come alo.....Fack!! :mad:

Might as well pick the contenders......

Evans - Nailed on to get one

Vidic - Likes a red card that Serb

Rafael - Has been liability free for a while which equals a red mist

then

Nani - Since Rafa might be injured and Scholes is missing, I see him picking up the slack

Outside bets are: RVP, Cleverley & De Gea :D

Red cards are like buses, you wait 59 Games for one and then 3 come alo.....Fack!! :mad:

Might as well pick the contenders......

Evans - Nailed on to get one

Vidic - Likes a red card that Serb

Rafael - Has been liability free for a while which equals a red mist

then

Nani - Since Rafa might be injured and Scholes is missing, I see him picking up the slack

Outside bets are: RVP, Cleverley & De Gea :D

De Gea red in the first minute after a City player goes through on goal and dives. Christ I can see that happening

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud will be back at Old Trafford in the summer :cool:

... for the Legends match between Real Madrid and Manchester United. He'll play for both teams. It's the 2nd of June. Wish I could be there.

Me too. Unfortunately I have to take summer classes so I can graduate :(

"We have won the one that really does matter to our fans." Said Ferguson.

"Yes, I would have loved to win the European Cup again but we got knocked out in circumstances that everyone is still talking about, and the disappointment of getting knocked out by Chelsea is obvious.

Oh no... :D

Archived