Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Not sure if this is exactly a tactics question but in the match engine, what stat is given for a playing winning a penalty. In Fantasy Premier League for example, it is given as an assist. In FM it doesn't register as an assist but does it at least recognize the penalty winner's contribution?

Thanks!

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, easternhawk2 said:

Does anyone know how to alter team fluidity? Mine seems to change a lot but I can't work out how I'm doing it and it's impacting upon my team cohesion.

It's just the amount of support roles you have on the pitch, it doesn't affect anything anymore 

13 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Anyone else having a spectacular amount of difficulty when encountering 4-3-3 setups with 3 strikers? No matter how I set up, I'm always on the backfoot against those teams, and generally lose. 

I'm not on FM20 but I remember facing them a lot in FM18. What I found worked best was to not play out of the back, but outnumber them in midfield i.e. distribute it to the full backs, making sure they have options looking forwards. Obviously this only really worked if I was superior technically, which as Ajax (where I faced that formation most, strangely) I usually was. I had a 4-3-3 WB system so when Onana went straight to R/LWB they had a wide forward, central midfielder and DM to look for instantly. If you're really struggling though might be worth making a quick thread showing your system.

In FM19, you had a screen that showed you how many chances you created and conceded for each tactic you used, it was in tactic-> analysis and then formation from the drop down menu.  Was this removed in FM20 because I can't find it.

Edited by Jessan

2 part quick question:

I'm building a 4141 DM Wide around a big man up top who holds the ball before playing it through to two onrushing 8's who go beyond him (a Mezz and B2B). My questions are:

Width: Should I be playing wide to create space for midfielders, or narrow to encourage play through the middle? 

Passing: Again do I go direct to get it up to the striker quick, or short so that the midfielders aren't too far away from the striker to be played through?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

9 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

2 part quick question:

I'm building a 4141 DM Wide around a big man up top who holds the ball before playing it through to two onrushing 8's who go beyond him (a Mezz and B2B). My questions are:

Width: Should I be playing wide to create space for midfielders, or narrow to encourage play through the middle? 

Passing: Again do I go direct to get it up to the striker quick, or short so that the midfielders aren't too far away from the striker to be played through?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Have you tried just leaving it default for both and see what your team does naturally?

Is it realistic to use different tactical styles from game to game? let's say at home you apply a Control Possesion style and away you use Fluid counter attack.

Or is it more realistic to go for one style and make a few tweaks (instructions/roles/duties/mentality) depending on the situation?

Or is the "different tactical styles" something quite common for smaller teams? (and subsequently asking different things from your players at home or away due to instructions and roles)

edit: or to add to my question, is it a bad idea in lower leagues anyway to use preset tactical styles because of the complexity it adds for the players? and just start off blank with a minimum of team instructions

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

35 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Is it realistic to use different tactical styles from game to game? let's say at home you apply a Control Possesion style and away you use Fluid counter attack.

Or is it more realistic to go for one style and make a few tweaks (instructions/roles/duties/mentality) depending on the situation?

Or is the "different tactical styles" something quite common for smaller teams? (and subsequently asking different things from your players at home or away due to instructions and roles)

edit: or to add to my question, is it a bad idea in lower leagues anyway to use preset tactical styles because of the complexity it adds for the players? and just start off blank with a minimum of team instructions

Both are valid techniques.  It does depend on just how far into LLM you are, a semi-pro club who only gets three training days probably would be best to stick with tweaking one.

If the majority of the the tactics are the same, so no more than 2 roles being different, the shape being the same, and then the necessary adjustments to transition, and attack, but leaving defense the same will take less time to become proficient in both tactics than say going from a 343 to a 532...

hi guys,

I have a problem with throw-ins, the offensive ones to be exact.

each time the fullback is throwing the ball to the striker, or he comes short leaving the box completely empty.

I tried to set the striker to lurk outside the area/mark the keeper but he keeps coming to receive the ball.

is it his role? I'm usually playing with a AF

4 minutes ago, Triton995 said:

Is there a definitive way to improve consistency and Important matches? Will they just naturally increase or decrease as players become more experienced? Does mentoring have any effect?

Mentoring has no impact.  Playing time and experience are how they can change.

5 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Mentoring has no impact.  Playing time and experience are how they can change.

Does it work like if they play a games which they lose at a young age it’s likely to have a negative impact and a positive impact if they win? And does the older they are the less of an impact it has? 

20 hours ago, Marbah said:

I have a problem with throw-ins, the offensive ones to be exact.

each time the fullback is throwing the ball to the striker, or he comes short leaving the box completely empty.

I tried to set the striker to lurk outside the area/mark the keeper but he keeps coming to receive the ball.

is it his role? I'm usually playing with a AF

Nothing to do with his role, more to do with where the throw is taking place.

I've noticed in my Cardiff save that my striker always seems to be the guy throw ins are aimed at. And the throw in set piece instructions don't seem to take effect unless the throw is taken near the opposition penalty area.

In other areas of the pitch, players assume their default positions in the formation and I think it just happens because the player taking the throw defaults to aiming up the pitch most of the time.

I do wish that the throw in set piece instructions would be a bit more in depth.

Like, how we want throws to be taken near our own box is going to be different to around halfway line and different again to near opposition box. And the positions we want other players to take up in those scenarios will be different too.

1 hour ago, Triton995 said:

Does it work like if they play a games which they lose at a young age it’s likely to have a negative impact and a positive impact if they win? And does the older they are the less of an impact it has? 

It's a bit more complex than that but being part of a winning team won't exactly hurt :thup:.  And there's a saying "you can't teach old dogs new tricks" so as players age they may become less inclined to develop as rapidly as their younger selves.

10 minutes ago, Zapera said:

Guys, how's the best way to test a tactic ? Is there a program to test it ? Or just going on holliday til the end of the season ?

The best way to test a tactic is to watch matches.  How else do you know what works and what doesn't if you don't watch things?

I'm recreating Villa at the moment but struggling a little to get it right.

Jack has been describing his wide role as an "inside 10" and saying he's been tasked with "getting closer to the striker" and playing like the Liverpool front three in that he's an attacker rather than midfielder. 

In a standard 4141 DM wide do you think that makes him an Ap (a)?

Edited by beverage1982

What's the best way to maintain match fitness, I have a pretty settled first 11 but when I have to make a switch my bench is always lacking match fitness.

Last year I got a message before youth team games asking who I wanted to be available. Is there a reason I don't get these now or am I missing something obvious?

5 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

I'm recreating Villa at the moment but struggling a little to get it right.

Jack has been describing his wide role as an "inside 10" and saying he's been tasked with "getting closer to the striker" and playing like the Liverpool front three in that he's an attacker rather than midfielder. 

In a standard 4141 DM wide do you think that makes him an Ap (a)?

From what you describe, maybe a Trequartista with perhaps an extra PI to have him sit narrower?

57 minutes ago, frederikmrck said:

What Role would suit best if you wanna let your Left back stay back, when attacking 

A fullback with a defend duty, however no role will always stay back although could be further limited by your chosen Mentality.

51 minutes ago, Dalehero said:

What's the best way to maintain match fitness, I have a pretty settled first 11 but when I have to make a switch my bench is always lacking match fitness.

Last year I got a message before youth team games asking who I wanted to be available. Is there a reason I don't get these now or am I missing something obvious?

Rotate when you can, play unused subs in your Reserve team matches.  If you really struggle, organise a friendly for only those players.

Stupid question, but I'm fairly new to the "new" tactics engine (after having taking a long break from the game, as in several years):

The visual indication (green dot in the tactics screen) of how well a player fits a role, does that actually influence their performance (as in incurring a "penalty"), or is it only to aid in assessing the suitability of the role?

Edited by FabianJonsson

1 hour ago, FabianJonsson said:

Stupid question, but I'm fairly new to the "new" tactics engine (after having taking a long break from the game, as in several years):

The visual indication (green dot in the tactics screen) of how well a player fits a role, does that actually influence their performance (as in incurring a "penalty"), or is it only to aid in assessing the suitability of the role?

Think of it as suitability for / familiarity with what is required from the role.

A player with the right stats and only 75% familiarity will still be effective, but maybe not as effective as a player with similar stats and 100% familiarity.

4 hours ago, FabianJonsson said:

2 hours ago, rockpie said:

Think of it as suitability for / familiarity with what is required from the role.

A player with the right stats and only 75% familiarity will still be effective, but maybe not as effective as a player with similar stats and 100% familiarity.

The role familiarity green dot is nothing more than a visual aid.  It has zero impact on actual player performance.

7 minutes ago, herne79 said:

The role familiarity green dot is nothing more than a visual aid.  It has zero impact on actual player performance.

Oh really? I'm surprised by that, it seems odd for it to have zero impact.

I've always taken it as having some impact. But I guess it doesn't make too much difference to how I play the game since I never saw that impact as being substantial unless you're playing someone completely out of position and without the stats for the role required.

Still, I would naturally expect 2 players with the same height, build, stats, mentality, etc. One with 100% familiarity and one with 50% familiarity, that the 2nd player might make a few more mistakes, get caught out of position more often, etc. Maybe not substantially, but at least some.

Edited by rockpie

2 minutes ago, rockpie said:

Oh really? I'm surprised by that, it seems odd for it to have zero impact.

I've always taken it as having some impact. But I guess it doesn't make too much difference to how I play the game since I never saw that impact as being substantial unless you're playing someone completely out of position and without the stats for the role required.

Still, I would naturally expect 2 players with the same height, build, stats, mentality, etc. One with 100% familiarity and one with 50% familiarity, that the 2nd player might make a few more mistakes, get caught out of position more often, etc. Maybe not substantially, but at least some.

Are you perhaps confusing positional familiarity and role familiarity?  With the former it can influence (to a small extent) effectiveness on the pitch.  So with 2 identical players but one with lower positional familiarity than the other, I'd expect the one with higher to be a little more effective (all other things being equal).

But role familiarity is nothing more than a visual representation of what the game views are relevant attributes for any given role.  So again, two identical players but one with lower role familiarity than the other I'd expect to perform identically.

Player Pressing intensity vs Team Pressing Intesity.

Pressing intensity for a player in PIs means that if that player has it set to more urgent he will press the opposing player wherever he goes on the pitch leaving his position, whereas team pressing means the ''ferocity''/intensity of  the general team pressing when the opposition enters the line of engangment?

I mean, if the Team Pressing is maxed out but the FBs individual pressing is set to less urgent, they will not leave their positions but will press/mark hard in the area they are supposed to control?

Please?

Pretty please. With sugar on top.

8 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Are you perhaps confusing positional familiarity and role familiarity?  With the former it can influence (to a small extent) effectiveness on the pitch.  So with 2 identical players but one with lower positional familiarity than the other, I'd expect the one with higher to be a little more effective (all other things being equal).

But role familiarity is nothing more than a visual representation of what the game views are relevant attributes for any given role.  So again, two identical players but one with lower role familiarity than the other I'd expect to perform identically.

No, not confusing the two. Just using positional familiarity as an example of a scenario where I would expect substantial impact on performance, as opposed to role familiarity which I would expect to be much less of an impact.

For example, let's say 2 players, all things being equal aside from role familiarity.

One is a natural BWM with 50% familiarity as a Mezzala, the other a natural Mezzala with 50% familiarity as a BWM.

I would just expect that if they both played the roles that they were less familiar with, that this would result in a slightly higher chance of them getting caught out.

And by slightly higher chance, I mean maybe 1 extra mistake or missed tackle or missed interception (whatever) every 5 games. Minimal, but existent.

Simply because although they are equally capable, as far as attributes, they are less familiar. A lack of familiarity can result in uncertainty, etc. etc.

Edited by rockpie

22 minutes ago, rockpie said:

No, not confusing the two. Just using positional familiarity as an example of a scenario where I would expect substantial impact on performance, as opposed to role familiarity which I would expect to be much less of an impact.

For example, let's say 2 players, all things being equal aside from role familiarity.

One is a natural BWM with 50% familiarity as a Mezzala, the other a natural Mezzala with 50% familiarity as a BWM.

I would just expect that if they both played the roles that they were less familiar with, that this would result in a slightly higher chance of them getting caught out.

And by slightly higher chance, I mean maybe 1 extra mistake or missed tackle or missed interception (whatever) every 5 games. Minimal, but existent.

Simply because although they are equally capable, as far as attributes, they are less familiar. A lack of familiarity can result in uncertainty, etc. etc.

The thing is though if you have two identical players they will have identical role familiarity because their attributes drive it.

16 minutes ago, herne79 said:

The thing is though if you have two identical players they will have identical role familiarity because their attributes drive it.

OK so it's more attribute suitability and less player familiarity for the role.

I guess I never really dug into this and just assumed because like I say, it doesn't really effect how I play the game too much

Good to know.

Do you know if PPMs also affect things?

For example say I have a player who is 100% suitable to play DLP (d) as a DM, then I train him (or he learns via mentoring) to Get Forward Often and Dribble More.

Will this see his suitability for the role drop, since the PPMs are not suitable for that role, or will it stay at 100% as purely based on attributes?

Edited by rockpie

19 minutes ago, rockpie said:

OK so it's more attribute suitability and less player familiarity for the role.

I guess I never really dug into this and just assumed because like I say, it doesn't really effect how I play the game too much

Good to know.

Do you know if PPMs also affect things?

For example say I have a player who is 100% suitable to play DLP (d) as a DM, then I train him (or he learns via mentoring) to Get Forward Often and Dribble More.

Will this see his suitability for the role drop, since the PPMs are not suitable for that role, or will it stay at 100% as purely based on attributes?

Good question, don't know.

@Seb Wassell  A quick ping Seb - do you know if player Traits affect the role familiarity indicator?

2 hours ago, Hunter T said:

Player Pressing intensity vs Team Pressing Intesity.

Pressing intensity for a player in PIs means that if that player has it set to more urgent he will press the opposing player wherever he goes on the pitch leaving his position, whereas team pressing means the ''ferocity''/intensity of  the general team pressing when the opposition enters the line of engangment?

I mean, if the Team Pressing is maxed out but the FBs individual pressing is set to less urgent, they will not leave their positions but will press/mark hard in the area they are supposed to control?

Please?

(The chosen level of) team pressing intensity affects all your players (perhaps forward ones a bit more than defenders, but still all of them). Individual player pressing intensity affects only that particular player, but works in conjunction with the team pressing intensity. So if you increase the team pressing intensity (to more or extremely urgent) but then reduce it for a particular player, it means that he will press slightly less than the others but still more than he would have if the team pressing intensity had not been increased. 

Imagine that the team pressing is set to standard and your FB's pressing is set to less urgent. Now imagine that your FB's pressing is still set to less urgent but the team pressing is set to more urgent. Your FB will press more when the team pressing is more urgent (or extremely urgent) than he will under standard team urgency, even though his individual pressing urgency has nominally remained unchanged. 

And always take the mentality into account, because it automatically affects all instructions including the pressing urgency, whether it's displayed in the tactical creator UI or not.

18 minutes ago, klaus.rock@gmail.com said:

Anyone has a real guide to team talks and shouts? I know here on forum there is a list about shouts, but i dont want to know what they mean, just want a good old guide to what use when. :D Thx if anyone can help.

7 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Or this one found in the pinned threads at the top of this forum which has input from SI staff.

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, herne79 said:

Good question, don't know.

@Seb Wassell  A quick ping Seb - do you know if player Traits affect the role familiarity suitability indicator?

(some) Suitable/unsuitable Player Traits are taken into account yes, although are only a small component of the whole, most attributes will outweigh them.

Role familiarity > Role suitability for clarity

Would the 4222 box be a suitable formation for vertical Tiki Taka? Or maybe a 4132? I would like to give this style a go this year but not too keen on the recommended formations. Or is this suicide and wouldn't work with the match engine?

Right throw ins...…. I notice quite often during a throw in the opposition would be marking one of player's who'd come short for the throw in, often he wouldn't be marked. So I thought I'd do the same

Go into throw ins in the tactic screen & remembered I can only influence the throw ins that are in the final third

So basically, how do I set normal throw ins? Is it just through the PIs & TIs for man marking? 

Hi~

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I'm getting over 10 offsides every game. Whatever tactic or formation I use. Anyone else having this issue? Is it something I'm doing wrong? I used plenty of different tactics but keep getting too many offsides.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to how much in-match condition rating affects performance? When I see low 70% to below, I start to get an itchy substitution trigger finger, regardless of well the player is playing. Is this foolish? Does concentration/composure/leadership/determination/current performance mean more than a 68% condition in the last 15 minutes? 

Is the option to schedule games only (when possible) schedule games on certain days (Like saturday and wednesday) gone from FM 2020, or is it just me who can't find it? I ask it here because for me the benefit of that option was training; I could make versions of my training schedule for 0, 1 and 2 games, and just apply them quickly. WIthout that option, any week I load my training schedule I'd have to move a lot of things around to make it work, as the automatic shifting was very hit and miss.