Miroslav Klose or Ronaldo?

Jongi

So it seems 2 more goals means Klose becomes the all time leading goal scorer in WC history.

If Klose gets to it, in time will history relegate him to being a striker as good as Ronaldo, or God forbid better?

Last I checked it was about opportunities and performances, not potential. Otherwise players like Nii Lamptey, Kalusha Bwalya and the great Osei Kofi would be up there with the Beckenbauers and Peles.

If Klose scores two more goals he will be the most successful scorer in World Cup history, and the best one too. It's not like Ronaldo received any worse support by his team...

Do we know the goals/games stat for the two players?

From Wikipedia's figures.

Miroslav Klose

Club:

Appearances: 402

Goals: 162

Goals-to-games Ratio: 0.4

Appearances: 100

Goals: 52

Goals-to-games Ratio: 0.52

Total:

Appearances: 502

Goals: 214

Goals-to-games Ratio: 0.42

Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima

Club:

Appearances: 501

Goals: 347

Goals-to-games Ratio: 0.69

Appearances: 97

Goals: 62

Goals-to-games Ratio: 0.63

Under 23's

Appearances: 8

Goals: 6

Goals-to-games Ratio 0.75

Total:

Appearances: 606

Goals: 415

Goals-to-games Ratio: 0.68

Ronaldo has a much greater goals to game ratio, but Klose's is very prolific too.

Ronaldo is the best striker since Pele and might even have been better. No other striker can compare to him. If he had been fit for the final in 1998 and won that he might have gone down as one of the great. Injuries and poor professionalism also hinderered probably the most talented player of his generation

Klose:

3 (Saudi Arabia, 2002)

1 (Republic of Ireland, 2002)

1 (Cameroon, 2002)

2 (Costa Rica, 2006)

2 (Ecuador, 2006)

1 (Argentina, 2006)

1 (Australia, 2010)

1 (England, 2010)

2 (Argentina, 2010)

Ronaldo:

1 (Morocco, 1998)

2 (Chile, 1998)

1 (The Netherlands, 1998)

1 (Turkey, 2002)

1 (China People's Republic, 2002)

2 (Costa Rica, 2002)

1 (Belgium, 2002)

1 (Turkey, 2002, rematch)

2 (Germany, 2002)

2 (Japan, 2006)

1 (Ghana, 2006)

I meant just in the World Cup :p Thanks anyway.

In that case, and if FIFA's records for World Cups doesn't update appearances until after the finals as well as not updating goals, then it's:

Ronaldo:

Matches played: 19

Goals: 15

GTG: 0.78

Klose:

Matches: 18

Goals: 14

GTG: 0.77

Practically identical at the moment.

Interestingly. If Klose scores at least once in the next game and Germany progress to the final with him scoring again, he'll be ahead on the goals to games count as well as overall goals.

I'd just like to throw in that Ronaldo has 2 winners medals (Albeit he didn't contribute in '94) & Klose has none (Yet). IMO that has to count for something, now if Germany go on to win this Tournament it could be worth talking about.

Guest roberto922

No player from this generation (or is Ronaldo the last generation now?) beats Ronaldo for me. Klose is fantastic, but Ronaldo is/was a superstar.

Ronaldo appeared in 1993 so I think we can count him as the past generation now, although since he hasn't retired yet (retires next year), it's not totally wrong to say he is from the current generation either.

And for me, out of the strikers I watched, only Romário would be above Ronaldo.

ronaldo of course

klose is very good, especially in world cups, but don't forget he scored a lot against saudi arabia in 2002

A lot?

He scored a hat trick. It's not really all that more than Ronaldo having scored a brace in several games is it?

Ronaldo scored 2 goals in 4 games. Klose scored 2 goals in 3 games & 3 goals in 1 game.

Not really all that much difference at all.

Pointless discussion really. No one disputes Fat Ronaldo being an all time great. And this is Klose's chance at immortality. Nike must be banging their hands at the wall for not able to wrench the German football team contract from Adidas.

A lot?

He scored a hat trick. It's not really all that more than Ronaldo having scored a brace in several games is it?

Ronaldo scored 2 goals in 4 games. Klose scored 2 goals in 3 games & 3 goals in 1 game.

Not really all that much difference at all.

i was a bit over the top, yes, with a lot, but saudi arabia is a mother, like we say in brazil.

i'm not contesting that klose is a very good striker

ronaldo was 95 kg when he scored 3 goals in 2006 by the way

Ronaldo at his peak was the best striker of his generation, and all-time best material.

Sadly his body couldn't withstand the wear and tear for much longer, and his career was noticeably shortened, at least in terms of quality.

Klose is a great poacher, but really the comparison in a bit outlandish, despite the WC goals stats.

Archived