You know you are addicted to football manager when............

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... despite being shattered and a bit hungover this morning, you get out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off (instead of hitting snooze 5 times) so you can get back to the task of making some close-season summer signings!

And are now at work, regretting not having that extra 45 minutes in bed...

... despite being shattered and a bit hungover this morning, you get out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off (instead of hitting snooze 5 times) so you can get back to the task of making some close-season summer signings!

And are now at work, regretting not having that extra 45 minutes in bed...

This....though was trying to turn around my terrible loss of form this season.

Has anyone came up with...

you find the goal music of the team you're managing (if you can't find it tom hark)

then...

you load it up on youtube the moment you score switch immediatly to youtube play it switch back and start bouncing round you're living room humming along...

for 3 months non stop!

Number one in that is rubbish,..... Mrs Plays COD with me,.....

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw a headline on MSNBC that read "Don't Ask Don't Tell Debate Spurs Hate From Republicans", and thought it should be read as "Don't Ask Don't Tell Debate, Spurs Hate From Republicans", and thought for a second "Why do American Republicans hate Tottenham Hotspur, and what does that have to do with DADT?"

• 1 month later...
Woah! Crucial time of the season, got FA Cup Semi Final and Champs League games all against Arsenal coming up, and my stupid cat just ran across my laptop. The screen went blank (she'd just pressed the power button) and the pc went to sleep. I didn't know what had happened to begin with but I was more worried about the save on FM than the general wellbeing of my laptop

Haha!!! Love it :)

• 4 weeks later...

You know you're addicted to FM when during an important drugs education talk at school you hear the words "Weed can be homegrown" and automatically spend the next hour thinking of how your going to register your squad for the European cup with all these foreign players and not enough homegrown talent

When you see a cute girl on the bus, and think Get Scout Report -> Eduardo Macia -> Report Card Only

When you are asking your dad about loaning money, and think Interact with Board -> Increase Transfer Budget

When you meet Michael Owen, the first question you asking is "Are you playing Football Manager?"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

when one minute you're screaming about how much you hate the game beacuse you're either losing or some bug has hit you, and in the next minute you're exulating in how much you love the game!

that and conducting interviews with myself and my players, all while trying to mimic what i think their foreign accents would be!!!!! I remember my housemate walking into the living room while I was conducting an interview with my new 19 year old brazilian and i had to explain to her why i was so happy to be in a far away land..........

and also when it suddenly dawns on you (as it just now has with me) that you have played EVERY single CM/FM since 93/94 (I had it on the Amiga) (I was 6 years old when I got that, and I was rubbish! I actually dropped Norwich to Division 3! Oh the days I remember........)

1) When you put on a shirt, tie and suit jacket (pants not neccesary) and get your girlfriend to take enough photo's of you until you get a good enough one to use as your manager pic.

2) Walking aroung the house waving to fans because you've just won them the league.

3) Worrying about Anthony Annan having a good world cup because you might not be able to sign him on the new FM.

4) Start doing your coaching badges because you seriously believe you will have won the Champions League with a non-league side by the time you're 40.

• 1 month later...

When you start genuinely looking at doing your coaching badges because, well, you don't think a real job will be as much fun. £160 for the first level certificate for anyone interested.

When you pretend that you're a reporter on Soccer Saturday reporting a goal that your team has just scored.

I do that! Always in the voice of Kamara or Windass, depending on whether it was unbelievable or I was half-watching.

When as part of your degree you write a 5,000 word piece on the psychological effects of Football Manager.

when you add pats of fm in to an assignment for niche marketing as i did lecturer wasnt pleased it was good i had a swot ,a list of demographics usps plans on how to expand and move the brand into further markets som stollen from fm i do play this too much

Best Thread Ever

When you join the fb fanpage of one of your favourite FM clubs (AIK in my case), despite the fact that it's all in Swedish which I don't understand a word of, not have ever been to Sweden (Norway once being the only time I've been anywhere near there)

When you use a save where you're managing your favourite club, and doing far better than your rivals, as escapist therapy from the fact that the real life situation is rather different. Seriously, after being hammered by rivals (again) that look like getting a surprise and very jammy promotion, playing a season when you very nearly win the title (and get a cup double) while they go straight back down does your mood a world of good.

When you've had FM running for a couple of hours waiting for a friend to arrive so you can do a season together

When after 2 seasons you're still depressed at a player the board sold over your head because he'd be amazing in the role you had in mind for him, even though you've been doing really well anyway

When you're in 2046 in a save you've played with 34 days on the game clock, if I hadn't had to wait until mid-december for my newer faster laptop it would be a decade further in by now.

When you take charge of your favorite club, leave initial squad as it is, don't buy or sell anybody and win the title, going full season unbeatable in the league and becoming more and more convinced that you'd do better job than IRL manager in charge who's stuck in the 3rd place of the table, losing points to minnow sides, playing questionable 4-4-2 when you know that best tactics for this squad is attacking 4-5-1 and letting the most creative midfielder that provided 16 assists for you sit on the bench for the whole season.

Seriously, Ajax, I'll send my CV.

When you join the fb fanpage of one of your favourite FM clubs (AIK in my case), despite the fact that it's all in Swedish which I don't understand a word of, not have ever been to Sweden (Norway once being the only time I've been anywhere near there)

I have a similar thing with Goran "The Beast" Ljubojevic. If he ever does join Central Coast Mariners in real life, he can expect to be scoring a goal every game.

Having just read the thing again (admitedly in phases), I have one more thing to add for now.

When you have a word document diary of your career thread that's currently on it's 159th page.

When, bored at work, you write a full squad list in Notepad just to feel good about knowing every single player in your team. And then you mark them out of 10 in brackets after their name using nothing but first instinct, and then use those figures to pick your best starting 11.....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived