The Return To Treasure Island: The Ultimate Rivalry Lives Again!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No games for Castagnoli this time around, can't really complain after his previous shockingly bad contribution though. Good win against T&T, but the Honduras game is a bit of a disappointment.

not looking good for STI!

saw that you said Hart Jnr picked up a knock, is it just a knock or is he out for a lot of time?

A bruised leg - enought to keep him out for the Honduras match but not for more than 6 days.

THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLE

CARDIO VASCULAR OPENS HIS HEART

Our report met the young lad from Southern Treasure Islands and here's the interview.

Reporter: How does it feel knowing your fate lies possibly in the hands of Trinidad and Tobago?

CV: It's a nerve-racking experience alright, our fate is on the whole team, not just Trinidad and Tobago.

Reporter: How do you feel after your passed four matches? You've grabbed 2 assists and that's not included your most recent through ball, which won your team a penalty.

CV: Hey, it feels great to know I'm part of the set-up of a goal. It's a woonderful expeirence to set up your team-mates and I'm glad to be part of it. And I get good deals out of it, after I set up Dodgson last week, he promised me a date with his sister. Castagnoli's got no chance!

Reporter: You're a versatile defender and midfielder; which position do you prefer?

CV: I'll play whereever I'm told, but I prefer midfield, as I get my name in the tabloids more :wink:

Reporter: How do you feel about fellow clubman but rival countryman Alex Barkley?

CV: He's a great guy, and we get along well together but if we ever meet in the middle of the park, bones will fly.

Reporter: And finally, do you feel at a disadvantage because you're not a second generation star? Others come from a footballing family, but you come from a medicinal family?

CV: I'm sure Mr de Mire picks the team based on talent, otherwise I wouldn't be playing. So, as they saying in Inverness, "CV, signin' aff!"

keep up the excellent work Dodgee, and mon STI & Trinidad and Tobago!

The Southerners got a consolation late in the game after Crazy picked up a long clearance and crossed the ball to Philippens, who rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home for his first international goal. The celebrations were somewhat muted though as the Southerners had lost a vital clash.

You wouldn't say that if you'd seen what happened when I read Philippens had scored :D

Hernani Kipulo's Football Log

Right Side of the Game

Well following the disaster in North American, Jonathan headed back home to Gil Vicente to continue his league career, while his team mate was away on International duties with the Southerners he was busy attempting to cement a spot in the first team and show that he was on the right side. During the time he was concentrating on his football he had very few words for the media, he was seen shoving a camera out of his face as the TV news crew tried to ask him some personal questions. Other than that he was in the cold with the media generally ignoring him. I managed to have a word with him in the run in towards the end of the season. All he wished to discuss was his continued support for his club and country. But he also mentioned something that confused me, to quote he said, "That Dodgy guy is doing a stunning job." Completely baffling, but when asked about his club mate Blackbeard, he asked if we had seen him in the starting line up regularly, when I said "no..he's been on..." he interupted me to say "Exactly, see I have no worries, he can't even make a lower league club side."

"So Jonathan how do you feel about the Southerners effort against Honduras?"

"Well the South are a poor country, they need all the publicity they can get, but I could've beaten that side singlehandedly, poor effort."

I am loving it Dodgee :) Gil Vicente for Life!

Unfortunately, NTI don't have a friendly scheduled until February 2009. :( I've taken the game up to December 2008 so once I've done the STI-Jamaica game, you'll have mid-season player update and then the friendly reports so you won't feel left out for much longer.

Sometimes You Can’t Ja-Maic-It On Your Own

Southern Treasure Islands v. Jamaica

Date: 19.11.08

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 2nd Phase, Group 2

Venue: World’s End Stadium, Cove Bay

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Gray; Hasek, Ferguson, Stigarakis, Cardiovascular; Hart Jnr, Smith, James II ©, Gingerbread Jnr; Kroeger Jnr., Philippens

Subs: Bobinho Jr, Dodgson, Castagnoli, van Pieters

1st Half: STI knew they faced a tough task in making the next stage of World Cup Qualifying and the situation was made worse by injuries. Although Hart Jnr and Smith returned with J.D. Dodgson back on the bench, STI were missing both of their young goalies as Blackbeard was out for a month with a sprained ankle and Brookes was still not fully recovered from a strained wrist. Healy, Burrows and Crazy were also out with short-term injuries (once more, it was noted that Jonathan, Blanco, Alvaro Brown, Bojangles and Twigge Jr all received unexplained bonus payments from the NTIFA....) Anyway, onto the game: STI went on the attack from the start with Kroeger Jnr. clipping the top of the bar with an effort in the first minute. Philippens, making his first start, also went close but headed Hart Jnr’s cross wide. Kroeger Jnr. had another great chance after he was set up by Gingerbread Jnr but, with just the goalie to beat, he missed the target. Hart Jnr also went close with a long range effort but it was not close enough. STI’s frustrations at failiure to capitalise on their chances boiled over as Gingerbread Jnr got a yellow card for foul play, the first of 5 yellows for the home side. The first goal came 5 minutes before the break and it came against the run of play as Jamaica launched a counter-attack and Ricardo Fuller got to the cross first to score with a header.

Half Time Score: STI 0, Jamaica 1

2nd Half: STI kept the pressure on in the second half with Kroeger Jnr., James II and Hart Jnr all keeping the Jamaican keeper busy. Changes were made just after the hour mark as Bobinho Jr and J.D. Dodgson came on for Hart Jnr and Philippens. Jamaica made substitutions too as they took a more defensive approach and it worked as they started to restrict STI’s attacking play. One final substitution was made with 10 minutes left as van Pieters replaced Hasek. STI finally got the goal their attacking play deserved in injury time when Gingerbread Jnr picked up James II’s pass and scored but it was ruled out for offside. When play restarted, James II won the ball immediately and moved forward. No challenge was made as he continued to advance and 30 yards out he thought ‘why not?’ and hit a piledriver straight into the back of the net. STI knew it was over though as a draw was not enough for them to catch Honduras. It wouldn’t have mattered even if they had won as Honduras beat Trinidad & Tobago and STI finished third in the group.

Final Score: STI 1, Jamaica 1 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Adriano Gray (7.7)

Attendance: 86,125

Group 2 Final Table

WE LOVE YOU HOUNDRAS, WE DO,

OOOHHHHH HOUNDRAS WE LOVE YOU

The bunch of Southern Softies messed it up yet again, expect plenty more results like this in the future :D

GO NTI :D

Surprisingly good attempt by the STI that but my goodness Trinidad and Tobago must be rubbish.

Think NTI had the right idea by throwing the match against the USA so they could focus on establishing themselves at their club sides and come back much stronger next tournament

January 2009 Update

Player Stats (Club)

STIers | NTIers

Player Stats (International)

STIers | NTIers

Awards

World Footballer of the Year

World Player of the Year

World Team of the Year

European Footballer of the Year

European Goalkeeper of the Year

European Defender of the Year

European Midfielder of the Year

European Striker of the Year

Transfer News: Done Deals

• J.D. Dodgson becomes the first Islander involved in a paid transfer as he swops sunny Mexico for Swansea in a ₤28k move – I guess he’d go anywhere to escape swine flu!
  • He won’t be alone in South Wales though as NTIer Jack Harrow decides to switch from Southend in a ₤14k deal – a new rivalry perhaps?
  • Martin Bojangles has agreed a ₤70k move from Adelaide to Rangers. Due to the player’s age, the deal won’t go through until Jan 1st 2010 – the first transfer window after his 18th birthday.
  • Gus Crazy is now co-owned by Brescia and Udinese. The player remains at Brescia for now, however.
  • Likewise, teamate and international rival Mikey Twigge is co-owned by Brescia and Lazio but is also staying put for the time being.
  • Ondrej Hasek has finally found a new club. He will join Serie B outfit Ascoli on 2nd March 2009, his 18th birthday.

Transfer News: Rumours and whisperings

• Hawkini, chuffed to see STI rival Dodgson leave Chivas, is also disappointed that he has been placed on the transfer list with an asking price of ₤18k. Santos Laguna B are said to be inetrested.
  • Bob McBob Jnr has turned down the chance to join Oldham on loan.
  • Cristobal Blanco is reportedly a target for Cardiff and Q.P.R.
  • Craig Healy is being chased by Feirense, Vizela and Rio Ave.
  • Cardiovascular has caught the eye of the management at Crystal Palace.
  • John Lemon is wanted by Standard Liege.
  • Ponferrandina are interested in acquiring James Almond’s signature for next season.
  • Robert Blowcrapup is reportedly being watched by scouts from PSV.
  • Blackbeard is rumoured to be a target for Belenenses, Naval and Nacional da Madeira.

Injuries

At present, only Blackbeard is on the treatment table as he pulled a hamstring instead of a girl on a team night out. He is expected to return to fitness within 2 weeks.

Other News

Not content with twiddling their thumbs waiting for the next international fixtures to come around, some of the ‘legends’ who make up the coaching staff of NTI and STI have accepted club jobs, in addition to their national team duties:

• Jack Harrow (the elder) is now a goalkeeping coach at FC Utrecht in Holland.
  • Heinrich Kroeger has also taken a goalkeeping coach job, in his case at German side Hannover.
  • Brendanio joined MLS team New York Red Bulls as a youth coach but within two month was promoted to assistant manager.

I’ll be back with news of the February friendlies tomorrow (Austria v NTI; STI v Singapore). :thup:

Mr Man is an NTIer! Favouritism!

Actually, he has dual STI-NTI nationality, just to make sure all the players show up in the searches ;)

Barkley has been pathetic :(

hopefully that will change with time

The players are only 17 but give it a season or two and they'll be getting regular football and good ratings. :)

Cool wanted by PSV. He really needs to be playing more football though.

KUTGW :thup:

Obviously most of the players have been active in youth or reserve teams - you'll see those stats in the end of season profiles

I write this as I sit on the plane on my way to Europe. I secretly am excited to get to the home of great defense and the reigning world cup champions in Italy. Ascoli has answered my call and I hope to soon make a mark for myself in Serie B. The recently relegated team will be looking to get back to Serie A and I think that I can be the key to that happening. Hopefully also with a strong showing with Ascoli I could get a Serie A team like Milan or Juve to take interest in me with a co-ownership deal. Ciao STI, FORZA ASCOLI!!!

No senior games for the club yet for Junior but there's plenty of time left :thup:

Dad Kroeger is now Hannover's GK coach, just to boost up the family income. Heidi Klum has stopped her super modelling btw :D

Hmmm 3 Caps Internationally, but only 2 club appearances, c'mon Jonathan get in.

3 club apperances and 2 nationals not bad :-) next season we´re going for a starter possition!

3 appearances for Arsenal is a great achievement for Rufio at such a young and and it's great to see has maintained his status as the highest valued player across the 2 island nations.

Would like to have played in all of the internationals and get past the group stage but with such a young team it was always going to be tough. At least we can take heart in knowing that our players got more international experience and exposure and most importantly, that we went further than NTI, not that that was ever in any doubt though.

I think you're bang on the money D - Hawkini would be chuffed JD left Chivas but gutted he was put on the transfer list - I think Hawkini would want to spread some Mexican love and swine flu in Europe as well...

Here's hoping he can remain in the first team and get some caps and play time!

What a Schame-r!!

Austria v. Northern Treasure Islands

Date: 11.02.09

Competition: International Friendly

Venue: UPC-Arena, Graz

NTI Line-up (4-4-2): Harrow; Jonathan, Alvaro Brown, Suarez, Lazewski; Bojangles ©, Barkley, Boyle, Iglesias; Collingwood, Gonzalez JR

Subs: Almond, Hawkini, Hamilton, McBob Jnr., Blowcrapup, Twigge Jr, Flash, Blanco

NTI took to the field for the first time since their penalty shoot-out defeat to face Austria. QPR striker Browne was absent with bruised ribs and Ajax defender Tner was mysteriouly withdrawn by his club Ajax but, apart from that, McBob was able to pick most of his young stars. A few eyebrows were raised by Hawkini and hamilton both starting on the bench along with captain and favoured son McBob Jnr. The match did not start well for NTI with Austria on the attack immediately. Within 10 minutes, the hosts were a goal up as Bojangles messed up a simple looking clearance and Paul Schamer picked up the loose ball and beat Harrow with ease. NTI struggled to get into the game after that and were on the back foot for most of the game. Harrow made a number of good saves and Lazewski and Brown made some key tackles. Up front, the Northerners were lacking firepower though with Collingwood missing his only decent chance and Gonzalez JR frozen out of the game altogether. A flurry of late substitutions (Hawkini, McBob Jnr., Blowcrapup, Flash and Blanco all came on) resulted in more chances coming in 3 minutes than in the preceeding 87 but Blowcrapup and Flash were unable to find the target either. After this game, it will be back to the drawing board for McBob ahead of summer friendlies against Poland and Cuba.

Final Score: Austria 1, NTI 0 | NTI Player Ratings & Stats

Attendance: 15,302

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STI Poor Against Opponents On Song

Southern Treasure Islands v. Singapore

Date: 11.02.09

Competition: International Friendly

Venue: World’s End Stadium, Cove Bay

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Brookes; Hasek, Ferguson, Stigarakis, Cardiovascular; Bobinho Jr, Smith, James II ©, Gingerbread Jnr; Kroeger Jnr., Dodgson

Subs: Philippens, Burrows, Crazy, Hart Jnr, Castagnoli, Lemon

STI welcomed Singapore to Cove Bay with fans hopeful of a confidence-boosting win following their World Cup Qualifying exit. Blackbeard and van Pieters were absent through injury while Healy was dropped to the U-20 side meaning Fred Brookes returned to the side for his third cap. Any hopes of an easy game were sonn dashed as Singapore surprised their opponents with a string of early attacks. The opening goal came on 13 minutes as Ferguson failed to pick up the run of Liu Yi, who collected a through ball and scored a simple goal. Things got even worse for STI on 25 minutes when Cardiovascular was spotted tugging on his opponents shirt in the box and a penalty was awarded. Brookes got a hand to Xu Jia’s spot kick but couldn’t prevent the goal. STI were livid that a foul had not been given in the build up to the penalty as Bobinho Jr seemed to have been stamped on (a post match x-ray revealed broken ribs). He was taken off with Hart Jnr coming on in his place. Harsh words were said at half-time and the players came out fired up. It took just 5 minutes for STI to pull one back as Gingerbread Jnr crossed from the left and Kroeger Jnr. got up to head the ball into the net at the far post. Within two minutes, STİ were level as Singapore lost the ball in the centre of the park and it was collected by Tom Smith. The midfielder then went on a run before shooting from 25 yards and beating the keeper with a delightful curling shot. Any hopes of a third goal and a win were dashed when Hart Jnr picked up his second yellow card with 20 minutes left, following a needless foul. That prompted a series of substitutions with Philippens, Burrows and Castagnoli all coming on. Chances were few after that and STI’s position was further weakened when Cardiovascular was taken off with a twisted ankle on 84 minutes. A good second half performance saved the game but questions will be asked over STI’s poor first half showing. The Southerners will return to the field in the summer with away games against St Martin and Cyprus.

Final Score: STI 2, Singapopre 2 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Attendance: 54,764

STI News

STI were held to a 2-2 draw at home against Singapore. A poor first half by the Southern Islanders saw Singapore take a 2-0 lead. STI fought back in the second half but the sending off of Hart Jr dashed any hopes they had of winning the game. Polly McParrot caught up with STI keeper Fred Brookes after the game.

Polly McParrot - Mr Brookes, you must be delighted to have started for the first time since STI's first two games?

Fred Brookes - It was great to get back in the first team, it's just a shame that I couldn't stop them scoring two goals.

Polly McParrot - You must of thought that you would never start again, as even when Blackbeard was injured De Mire preferred Gray.

Fred Brookes - It was all a bit strange to be honest, no one had every heard of this Gray bloke, he just appeared out of no where. Don't worry though I know some people and they made sure that he won't be playing for STI again in a hurry, you know fishes, lead weights, that kind of thing.

Polly McParrot - You got him killed!!!!!!

Fred Brookes - Of course not! They just slapped him about with the fish a bit! The weights were for making sure the fish weren't too big for cooking after, what kinda bloke do you think I am!

Polly McParrot - I will decline to answer that. What are your thoughts on NTI losing, again.

Fred Brookes - Speaking of NTI, I noticed that thatHamilton nerd stole my tag line the other day, so Hamilton if you are listening, start running cuz Fred is a coming a knocking! On NTI themselves, all I want to say is that they are a bunch of Remy's.

Polly McParrot - Remy's?

Fred Brookes - Indeed.

Great stuff DodgeeD :thup:

STI need to start playing properly though. :(

Archived