The Return To Treasure Island: The Ultimate Rivalry Lives Again!

Blackbeard thankful for his STI debut

Following his side's success in the World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Round tie against Panama, STI debutant Blackbeard was in high spirits as he met the press immediately after the second leg 1-1 draw and had the following words for reporters gathered around the team bus.

"My trust in Senhor de Mire has been rewarded over the past two matches against Panama. A hearty 'Muito Obrigado' to the gaffer, especially for giving me my first senior international cap. Also, I would like to congratulate my room-mate Fred Brookes for his positive attitude and kind words despite being rotated out of the starting line-up for these two matches. Also, he did not suffocate me in my sleep to reclaim his spot so that is a big plus for me.

If there is one annoyance though, it was for his constant shouting behind my goal throughout today's match. I did my math before the game, I knew we could afford to let Panama score four goals more than us today and still qualify ahead of them. Thus, there was no need to save all their shots on goal. After I gave them their tap-in from the corner though, Fred started yelling at me and you must know one thing. I definitely do not like others to do the yelling. Only Blackbeard yells at others. So I had no choice but to prevent Panama from scoring more. Ultimately though, I feel I have wasted more energy than I had to out there today. But rest assured that I will let Fred know from now on not to make a fuss over such small matters in the future."

When asked for his comments on NTI's penalty shoot-out heartbreak against the Americans, he simply did a monkey face at the cameras and then boarded the bus. Clearly, he had no sympathies for NTI at all.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STI News

Polly McParrot - So Fred, can I call you Fred?

Fred Brookes - You can, but I charge £5 for every use.

Polly McParrot - Ok then... Mr Brookes, STI are through to the next round, but are you disappointed at not starting?

Fred Brookes - Only a little, but it's ok I took my anger out on a reporter so I'm feeling fine now, and anyway it's good that me and Blackbeard are competing for a place, it should encourage us to work even harder.

Polly McParrot - Blackbeard has said recently that you were yelling at him during the draw against Panama.

Fred Brookes - I think that's a little misunderstanding, I was actual yelling at the pidgeon behind the goal as it was in my way and I couldn't see. I'm not sure about Blackbeard's laid back approach though, I'm much more of a don't score or I'll break your legs kinda guy, whereas Blackbeard is a don't score more than you should or your life may be in danger kinda guy.

Polly McParrot - What are your thoughts on NTI being knocked out by USA?

Fred Brookes - Well it proves what I've been saying all along, they're a bunch of Nemos.

Polly McParrot - Nemos?

Fred Brookes - Indeed.

Great stuff Ediocy :D

BTW, a virtual cookie to the first person to spot the recurring NTI theme in Fred's interviews :thup:

What a cruel game this can be. I was unable to speak after the game due to the emotion. I really believed we could beat them and to lose on penalties was hard to take. We are a young squad though and will be able to learn from this. The next time we come up against the U.S.A we will be much stronger.

To make matters worse the southern lot progressed. They have not been convincing against these poor teams and will surely struggle when they come up against a good team.

Excerpt from diary of Benat Fernandez Iglesias dated 05/05/09

Are they Pixar characters Denther? Sulley - Monsters Inc, Bo Peep - Toy Story, Nemo - Finding Nemo.

CSE Times: STI's group 'easy' according to boss de Mire

Following on from his side's successful 1st Round campaign, STI boss Jason de Mire spoke to the gathered journalists today about his team's chances in the second phase of North American World Cup qualifying.

For those of you unfamilar with how things are done by the bigwigs at CONCACAF HQ, the second phase consists of three groups of four who play each other home and away with the top two advancing to the third and final phase. STI have been drawn in Group 2 along with Honduras, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago (you can see the full draw here).

Media: We'd like to gather your thoughts on the second phase draw, Mr Mire..

de Mire: That's Mr de Mire, if you don't mind.

Media: Of course, excuse us Mr de Mire.

de Mire: Get it right guys or you'll find out Joe Kinnear is no match for me when it comes to expletives!

Media: Don't tempt us. Anyway, what have you got to say about Honduras?

de Mire: Easy. We'll beat them.

Media: Errr... do you have any other comments regarding your chances?

de Mire: What do you want? A predicted scoreline? Scorers? Score at half-time? We'll win - now jot that down in your notebook and write it up in your trashy tabloid.

Media: OK. What about Jamaica?

de Mire: Easy win for STI. Next!

Media: Let me guess - Trinidad & Tobago will be easy and you'll beat them too?

de Mire: Oi! Don't second guess me you little ****! Are you taking the ****? (de Mire then proceeds to rant for several minutes, swearing at every opportunity until he asks his secretary, who has been keeping count, "Is that 53? Definitely 53? That'll show Kinnear!" before walking out of the press conference.)

Media:

James Almonds Journal 05/05/09

I have to confess that I'm a little peeved that I haven't got an international start as of yet but i'm sure that the boss will give me what I want soon. It was really disheartening to lose out to the U.S.A on penalties after the lads gave a great performance over the two legs. What really irks me is that the Southern Softies progressed to the next round. Oh god no the softie's gonna be unbearable for a few weeks

Dodgee lover the joe kinnear reference

September 2008 Player Update

Most of the players have now signed pro contracts/ new deals at their clubs so we’ll start with a look at the highest valued players and the top earners:

(credit where it’s due – I pinched this idea from Whoopy D’s ‘It Could Be You....’ start of season updates ;))

Top Ten Players - Value

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]No.[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]  [u]Player[/u]             [u]Nation[/u]  [u]Club[/u]       [u]Value[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New] [/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]1.   Rufio van Pieters  STI     Arsenal    ₤4.2mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2.   Tom Hamilton       NTI     R. Madrid  ₤2.4mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]3.   Bob McBob Jnr.     NTI     Arsenal    ₤2.2mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]4=.  Loic Philippens    STI     Ösnabrück  ₤1.4mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]4=.  J.D. Dodgson       STI     Chivas     ₤1.4mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]4=.  Jack Browne        NTI     Q.P.R.     ₤1.4mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]4=.  Juan Alvaro Brown  NTI     Porto      ₤1.4mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]8=.  Pablo Gonzalez JR  NTI     FC Bayern  ₤1.3mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]8=.  Claudio Castagnoli STI     A.C. Milan ₤1.3mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]10.  Gwilym J. James II STI     Q.P.R.     ₤1.1mil[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]

Top Ten Players – Weekly Wage

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]No.[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]  [u]Player[/u]          [u]Nation[/u]  [u]Club[/u]        [u]Wage[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New] [/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]1.   Ben Flash       NTI     A.C. Milan  ₤1.3k[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2.   Tom Hamilton    NTI     R. Madrid   ₤700[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]3=.  Gus Crazy       STI     Brescia     ₤500[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]3=.  Tyler Burrows   STI     Adelaide    ₤500[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]5=.  B.F. Iglesias   NTI     Chivas USA  ₤425[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]5=.  Gingerbread Jnr STI     Roda JC     ₤425[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]7=.  Craig Healy     STI     Porto       ₤375[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]7=.  J.D. Dodgson    STI     Chivas      ₤375[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]9=.  Tom Smith       STI     R. Madrid   ₤325   [/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]9=.  Theo Stigarakis STI     Crewe       ₤325[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]

Transfers

As I started the game with ‘allow transfer budgets in first window’ unticked, there have been no transfers so far. There was one loan deal, however, as Real Madrid have sent Tom Smith to Liga adelante side Castellon on a season-long loan.

Ondrej Hasek, despite continued interest from Levski Sofia and Ascoli, is still without a club.

Player News

As the MLS season has been underway since March, the most active player at club level so far has been Benat Fernandez Iglesias, who has racked up 15 appearances for Chivas USA with 2 goals, 2 assists and an average rating of 6.53 to his name so far.

Theo Stigarakis and Robert Boyle have walked straight into the first team at Crewe, making 7 starts each so far. Boyle in particular made an impact as he scored twice to help his side overcome Huddersfield in the League Cup 1st Round.

Elsewhere in England, Paul Hart Jr, Jack Harrow (both Southend), Cristobal Blanco and Fred Brookes (both Barnet) have all made 4 appearances for their respective clubs.

The following players have also made their club debuts: Alex Barkley, Cardiovascular (both Inverness CT), J.D. Dodgson, Hawkini (both Chivas) and Pablo Gonzalez JR (FC Bayern).

Tyler Burrows and Martin Bojangles have become the first players of the new generation to win medals as they appeared in the Australian Pre-Season Cup final, which their club, Adeliade Utd, won. :thup:

STI Show Their Hondura-nce But Get Carrib-beat Away From Home

Trinidad & Tobago v. Southern Treasure Islands

Date: 20.08.08

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 2nd Phase, Group 2

Venue: Skinner Park, San Fernando

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Gray; Labaniño, Ferguson ©, Stigarakis, Hasek; Hart Jr, Smith, Gingerbread Jnr, Burrows; Kroeger Jnr., Cabañas

Subs: Brookes, Lemon, Philippens, van Pieters, Bobinho Jr

As STI began their 2nd Phase campaign, they were struck by injuries. Gus Crazy was already out and he was joined by Blackbeard, Cardiovascular, Castagnoli, Healy, James II, and Dodgson, who all mysteriously picked up minor injuries before leaving their clubs to join up with the national side. Rumours abounded that their NTI clubmates had given them some of the ‘rough stuff’ in training and that they had received unexplained bonus payments from NTIFA. However, nothing was proven.

With all the injuries, STI had to utilise three rather grey looking individuals and Trinidad & Tobago looked to expliot those weak spots. It worked as the Southerners were on the backfoot from the start. The opening goal came just before the half hour mark as Labaniño gave away a thrown in and then got skinned by Jason Scotland who centred the ball for Carlos Edwards to tap in. STI were unable to mount any kind of serious attack and as the players left the pitch at half-time, they must have known they were in for some harsh words from boss de Mire. That had little effect though as the home side continued to have the better of the game in the second half with Yorke and Birchall going close. Changes were made on the hour as Bobinho Jr came on for Burrows and Philppens replaced Cabañas. Bobinho’s game only lasted 7 minutes though as he was taken off with suspected fractured ribs. STI’s only real chances were from corners and free kicks but they never really looked like scoring and the hosts were able to comfortably hold on to their lead until the final whistle.

Final Score: Trinidad & Tobago 1, STI 0 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Kenwyne Jones (7.5)

Attendance: 3,998

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southern Treasure Islands v. Honduras

Date: 06.09.08

Venue: World’s End Stadium, Cove Bay

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Gray; van Pieters, Ferguson ©, Lemon, Hasek; Hart Jr, Smith, Cardiovascular, Gingerbread Jnr; Dodgson, Kroeger Jnr.

Subs: Brookes, Healy, Castagnoli, Philippens, Stigarakis, Blackbeard

Blackbeard, Cardiovascular, Castagnoli, Healy and Dodgson were all available again for the second match but STI boss de Mire strangely decided to use neither of his keepers going for the Gray guy instead. In more comfortable home surroundings, STI were able to settle and take control of the match early on with Dodgson, Cardiovascular and Gingerbread Jnr all calling the opposition keeper into action. Things got even better for the Southerners on 19 minutes when Palacois received a red card after elbowing Ferguson in the face as the players tussled in the box ahead of a corner. That put the intiative firmly with the home side and a goal came soon after. Cardiovascular picked up a wayward pass inside the Honduan half and played a great through ball to Dodgson in the box, who took one touch before playing the ball past the keeper and into the bottom corner. Dodgson soon had a chance to double the lead but shot wide when he should have scored. Van Pieters also had a good chance when he shot from the edge of the area and beat the keeper but saw his shot blocked. In the second half, Honduras initially tried to get back into the game but STI worked their extra man advantage well and did a good job of holding their opponents at bay. Healy and Philippens came on to bring some fresh legs into the game with Philippens setting up Dodgson well. The striker’s effort was saved, however. Stigarakis also came on late as STI ran down the clock and got their first points on the board.

Final Score: STI 1, Honduras 0 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Maynor Figueroa (7.4)

Attendance: 86,039

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamaica v. Southern Treasure Islands

Date: 10.09.08

Venue: Greenfield Stadium, Greenfield

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Blackbeard; Castagnoli, Ferguson ©, Stigarakis, Hasek; Hart Jnr, Smith, Cardiovascular, Gingerbread Jnr; Dodgson, Kroeger Jnr.

Subs: Lemon, van Pieters, Philippens, Healy, Brookes

For the next match, Blackbeard was brought back into the line-up and Castagnoli was handed his first cap with van Pieters dropping down to the bench. Stigarakis was also brought back into the starting line-up. Both teams were level in the table with 3 points before the game but STI knew they would face a tough match against experienced opposition. That is exactly what they got as Jamaica put them under pressure from the kick-off and opened the scoring after 13 minutes. Ricardo Fuller got the better of Hasek out wide and crossed the ball towards Gardner, who easily beat his marker Castagnoli to the ball to score with a header. Blackbeard was the busiest STI throughout the first half as he was called into action on more than one ocassion and did well to keep the scoreline at 1-0. STI didn’t manage to muster a decent chance until the 56th minute when Hart Jnr pounced on a poor clearance but shot narrowly wide from the edge of the area. Healy also had a chance but shot wide as STI were restricted to long-range efforts. The killer blow came late in the game as STI pushed forward and got hit on the break when Andy Williams picked up a long ball out of defence and shot past Blackbeard from 20 yards. Stigarakis was adamant that Williams had been offisde when the ball was played and he was backed up by STI boss de Mire after tha game, who lashed out at the ‘apalling’ refereeing. TV replays suggest that they were right.

Final Score: Jamaica 2, STI 0 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Ricardo Gardner (7.4)

Attendance: 24,996

At the halfway stage, STI are third in the group 3 points behind Jamaica and Honduras. In order to qualify, they need to win their remaining home matches against Trinidad and Jamaica and they may need to improve on their away form to get points from the trip to Honduras.

Current Group 2 Table

Before we get cracking with full updates on the players as the European seasons kick off, it's time to name and shame a few people. This thread has been up and running for over 10 days now and the following people have not posted anything here yet:

greenwhitearmey

strawberry fields

ridleys

Be warned, if you don't post soon, you will be omitted from updates and if you haven't posted by the end of the season, you may find yourselved disappearing... ;)

Not sure about the keepers - maybe a 'grey' is preferential to a pair of wet-behind-the-ears 16 year olds. :D We should see that change as the players start to get regular club football though, and that's exactly what Brookes is getting at Barnet. :thup:

Wow Gonzalez Jr has made his debut already despite being at Bayern, im guessing its in the cup as he doesn't realisticaly have a chance (yet) of pushing Toni, podolski and Klose for league games.

Also, get in there Jamaica and Trinidad!

Wow Gonzalez Jr has made his debut already despite being at Bayern, im guessing its in the cup as he doesn't realisticaly have a chance (yet) of pushing Toni, podolski and Klose for league games.

Spot on! ;) Your debut was indeed in the pre-season League Cup but it still counts as a pro competitive match. There's plenty of time to dislodge Toni and co from the team yet.:thup:

Looking pretty good in the value department and finally racking up some games for STI :thup: Even if we are losing some of them :thdn:

KUTGW

Good that Philippens has a high value too despite the small nature of his club. QPR aside most of the other top valued players are at big clubs.

The only game I start we win, and then we lose the other two when I was on the bench.

Who is this Mr Mire guy anyway?

Didn't he see that Rufio is the most valuable player across all the Treasure Islands?!

Hopefully Wenger can see the light and do what's best for his team and my career...

Bit to catch up on!!!

Great to see us advance through to the next round of the Qualifiers, (WIthout me of course!)

But not happy to see us lose so easily in both games against the Carribean nations. And I have still not done anything of note for STI as yet which is pretty dissappointing. As I said previously, I'm more than happy to do what ever need-be to perform better for my nation.

And on a club level I am ver pleased with a high wage and a trophy already!

Keep Up the Awesome work DodgeeD!!

Theo Stigarakis and Robert Boyle have walked straight into the first team at Crewe, making 7 starts each so far. Boyle in particular made an impact as he scored twice to help his side overcome Huddersfield in the League Cup 1st Round.

Nice to see my club manager appreciates me :(

sorry about not posting forgot i sign up :o

im captain thought :D

No worries mate - I thought a little reminder might jog people's memories ;)

I'll try to update on the rest of STI's 2nd Phase games tomorrow. :thup:

Sorry about not posting in the thread yet. Just been busy with work and friends birthdays. Good start to my career and just need to play for STI more. KUTGW as normal Big D.

Sorry about not posting in the thread yet. Just been busy with work and friends birthdays. Good start to my career and just need to play for STI more. KUTGW as normal Big D.

I've taken the game to the end of the year now and you've been playing for Crewe so much that there's a 'rst' icon next to your name. Not sure if that's a good thing or not :p

I've taken the game to the end of the year now and you've been playing for Crewe so much that there's a 'rst' icon next to your name. Not sure if that's a good thing or not :p

Probably for the best :D

Blowcrapup Disappointed in Lack of Caps

We today spoke to NTI Under 19's star Robert Blowcrapup who spoke of his disappointment in his lack of caps for the full international side. He said he was hopeful that his impressive performance in the one game he has played so far will encourage the boss to give him a few more chances in friendlies. When asked why he has been quiet over the last few days he replied that he had other work to do and would try to be more involved from now on. He also said the reason he needed more caps was that Holland is colder than where he grew up and his ears were constantly cold.

Hamilton disappointed about recent results and injuries

Real TV: So, Tom. How has the past few months been for you?

Hamilton: Well, it started well enough with my first international caps and 2 stunning goals in only my second game.

Real TV: Are you disappointed to go out of the World Cup Qualifiers?

Hamilton: Of course, but it was always going to be a tough match and to come away with a 0-0 draw is a creditable result in my eyes.

Real TV: But that game with the USA contained an unfortunate setback for you.

Hamilton: Indeed, a broken ankle isn't what i wanted as i had started to play really well, but it cannot be helped. That's football isn't it.

Real TV: Indeed. Finally, have you got anything to say about your rivals STI?

Hamilton: Well, judging by their recent performances and general attitude, i would describe them as a bunch of Southern Softies.

Real TV: Softies?

Hamilton: Indeed

KUTGW DD :thup:

Headlines have been fantastic so far Dodge, gotta give you that mate.

Carrib-beat, top drawer :D

:D I got some inspiration from the 'ınevitable Domination of Mediocre European Nations' thread. ;)

Personally, my favourite so far was the 'STI dig a new canal through Panama's defence' one. :D

:eek:

I have missed so much. I don't think Bobinho Jr is as good as his father unfortunately. :thdn:

Started to play a bit for STI recently, but an injury has seen him miss the last 1 (or 2) games :thdn:

Hope he recovers from injury and works his way back in to the team.

KUTGW!

Molind Tner ready for first team duties

In an interview with the Dutch version of Sports Illustrated (allthough this paper mostly focus on curling and figureskating) the youngster stated:"I feel i´m ready to take up the challenge. I´ve had my debut on the NTI national team and I mean if you can survive that you can do anything! Those guys are nuts, really!" the kiddo added: "Oh, and you better not ask me about STI. Those guys were lucky to proceed in the World Cup Quals. Im happy to see them sinking without a trace now!".

Go NTI!!!!!!!!!!!!11Oneone

Hamilton: Well, judging by their recent performances and general attitude, i would describe them as a bunch of Southern Softies.

Real TV: Softies?

Hamilton: Indeed

How dare you steal Fred's tag line :eek::mad:, now you're in trouble!!!!!!!!

You ever feel like it's never gonna work out? Well, right now I'm staring at a wall forever waiting for a call to go do what I do best, and that's play football. Starting to slowly lose it though. God, I'm such a failure...

Note from Ondrej Hasek dated 8/5/09

After the easy run in to the group stages, I guess we were bound to suffer heartache after a certain point. :(

Our home form would hopefully see us through, and here's hoping no more grey people screwing us up for the remaining matches! Yes, I'm blaming them for our defeats (never mind there were no grey folk in our last match).

Well I guess you miss out on stuff like this when your laptop breaks and your internet supplier screws you over and wants you to pay for having no internet for 3 weeks :(

Dodgee could you PM me if another version of this ever starts? :p

Well I guess you miss out on stuff like this when your laptop breaks and your internet supplier screws you over and wants you to pay for having no internet for 3 weeks :(

Dodgee could you PM me if another version of this ever starts? :p

A shame you missed out after Le Quack's long glorious career. :( I'll keep you posted for next time or if a replacement spot opens up. ;)

Southerners Trounce Trinidad But Fall Hon-Their-Ass Against Honduras

Southern Treasure Islands v. Trinidad & Tobago

Date: 11.10.08

Venue: World’s End Stadium, Cove Bay

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Blackbeard; Labañinas, Ferguson ©, Stigarakis, Hasek; Hart Jnr, Smith, Cardiovascular, Gingerbread Jnr; Kroeger Jnr., Crazy

Subs: Healy, James II, Philippens, Burrows, Bobinho Jr

1st Half: STI entered this must win game missing J.D. Dodgson (strained knee ligaments) but with Gus Crazy fit again, the fans were hoping for goals. Trinidad had the first chance of the game with a long-range effort but Blackbeard pulled off a spectacular save with back-up Brookes appluading from behind the goal. The two sides then traded chances, taking it in turns to attack. Crazy, Kroeger Jnr, and Stigarakis all had chances for the hosts but it was through a penalty that the scoring was opened. Cardiovascular picked up the ball in midfield and played a great through ball to Kroeger Jnr. The striker went down as he passed the defender and the ref blew for a penalty. Trinidad & Tobago were furious with the ref but replayes showed that the right call was made. Guıs Crazy stepped up for the spot kick and made no mistake as he sent the keeper the wrong way and opened the scoring. With the visitors rattled, STI pressed on and took full advantage. 5 minutes after the penalty, Paul Hart Jnr collected the ball from a throw-in and played it down the line to Kroeger Jnr. The Gimnastic striker then cut inside and pulled the ball back to Gus Crazy who hammered a first time shot into the back of the net. That was how the scoreline remained until the break.

Half Time Score: STI 2, Trinidad & Tobago 0

2nd Half: STI chose to protect their lead in the second half and, despite increased pressure from the visitors, it worked as Ferguson and Stigarakis kept the attackers at bay and Blackbeard pulled off the saves when required. A knock picked up by Hart Jnr forced changes just after the hour mark as Bobinho Jr came on (post match scans revealed it was just a bruise). James II also returned to the side as he replaced Cardiovascular. Just afterwards, STI almost added to their lead as Kroeger Jnr. set up a chance again as he laid off the ball for hasek but the clubless wonder shot over the bar. The final goal for STI came with 15 minutes to go as James II delivered the ball into the box from a corner and Gingerbread Jnr popped up at the far post to power in the header. That was to be his last contribution as just before the coorner was taken, STI boss de Mire had issued instructions for Tyler Burrows to come on in his place. There wasn’t much action after that as the game was as good as over and STI’s World Cup dream was back on.

Final Score: STI 3, Trinidad & Tobago 0 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Gus Crazy (8.4)

Attendance: 87,534

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honduras v. Southern Treasure Islands

Date: 15.10.08

Venue: Francisco Morazan, San Pedro Sula

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Blackbeard; Labañinas, Ferguson, Stigarakis, Cardiovascular; Bobinho Jr, Healy, James II ©, Gingerbread Jnr; Crazy, Kroeger Jnr.

Subs: Lemon, Hasek, Philippens, Castagnoli, Burrows, Brookes

1st Half: STI and Honduras entered the game level in second place on 6 points each. The Southerners needed at least a draw to keep thier fate in their own hands. James II returned to the starting line-up with Cardiovascular dropping back to left-back and Hasek moving to the bench. Bobinho Jr also came in for Paul Har Jnr and Healy replaces Tom Smith, who had picked up a thigh strain in the match against Trinidad. The first half was evenly matched as both sides played a tight defence. Ferguson and Stigarakis did a good job of restricting the Hondurans to long shots and Cardiovascular was nulifying the threat on the opposition right flank with ease. Unfortunately, the home side’s defence was having similar success with Kroeger Jnr. and Gus Crazy unable to have any clear chances and James II in particular struggling to have any impact in midfield. The half finished without any goals, which would suit STI but could they sustain that score in the second half?

Half Time Score: Honduras 0, STI 0

2nd Half: Alas, the answer was ‘no’. Their opponents came out for the second half looking fired up and had scored within 10 minutes. Cardiovacular was caught out of position as an STI move broke down and Honduras were able to play down the right and cross the ball into the box. Emilio had the beating of Ferguson and rose to head the ball into the net. Both sides had chances to add to the goals after that as STI sought to get back into the match. Gus Crazy went close on more than one ocassion but the keeper was more then equal to his efforts. The Southerners brought on fresh legs in the shape of Philippens and Burrows with Kroeger Jnr. and Gingerbread Jnr coming off. STI were dealt a killer ball with 12 minutes to go as Honduras played the ball to the edge of the area and Emilio nipped in front of James II, turned the defence and scored his second. Hasek came on at that point for Bobinho Jr with Cardiovascular moving into midfiled and, to their credit, STI pushed even further forward but were caught out once more, this time Ramirez heading in from a corner. The Southerners got a consolation late in the game after Crazy picked up a long clearance and crossed the ball to Philippens, who rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home for his first international goal. The celebrations were somewhat muted though as the Southerners had lost a vital clash.

Final Score: Honduras 3, STI 1 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Luciano Emilio (8.4)

Attendance: 21,971

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That means, heading into the last game, Jamaica are top and through to the next round. STI are third, three points behind Honduras, meaning they have to beat Jamaica at home and hope Honduras lose to Trinidad & Tobago in order to reach the final phase of qualifying.

Archived