The Return To Treasure Island: The Ultimate Rivalry Lives Again!

Things have been funny at Chivas since the draw for World Cup qualifiers. All the U.S lads are saying we don't have a chance but we will show them. We may have a young squad at N.T.I but the talent is undoubtable. We need to keep it tight in the away leg but, at home, with 80,000 fans cheering us on we can do it. S.T.I got what looks an easy tie against Panama. I wouldn't put it past that lot to have bribed someone. Still, they struggled against Bahamas so they may still be knocked out.

Been feeling guilty about getting Hasek kicked out of the Chivas squad. He may be a southerner but I hear he has not found a new team yet. We had our differences but it is always a sad day when a young player can not find a new club. There have been rumours he has clubs from Europe tracking him but the last I saw he was flipping burgers at Wendy's. Hopefully he will get a club soon and we can meet again on the pitch.

Excerpt from diary of Benat Fernandez Iglesias dated 02/05/09

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Treasure Island Team News: NTI Hit By Injury Ahead Of Crucial World Cup Qualifier

The NTI squad for the World Cup Qualifying elimination matches with the U.S.A. was announced today with Bob McBob's options severely limited by injuries. Of the twenty young stars we have been tracking so far, only 18 were selected for the squad. Juan Alvaro Brown is unavailable with a torn calf muscle expected to keep the utility man out for another 2 months. The other absentee is Robert Blowcrapup who, despite a goal on his debut last time, is dropped to the U20 squad.

That means Mikey Twigge Jr finally gets a call-up to the full squad after 2 appearances for the U-20 side. It also means Molind Tner is likely to get his first cap with Alex Barkley also in consideration.

By contrast, STI boss de Mire had a full complement of young talent a his disposal for the tie with Panama and chose to call up 19 of them. The only player overlooked is Tyler Burrows who, following his 4.9 rated performance against Bahamas, is dropped to the U-20 squad.

Match reports to come tomorrow - there's plenty to report on too! ;)

Treasure Island WCQ Round-up:

Southerners Dig Panama A New Canal | Northerners Battle Hard Against Ten Man U.S.A.

Southern Treasure Islands v. Panama

Date: 07.06.08

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 1st Phase, 2nd Round, Leg 1

Venue: World’s End Stadium, Cove Bay

Nation Line-up (4-4-2): Blackbeard; van Pieters, Ferguson, Lemon, Cardiovascular; Hart Jr, Smith, James II ©, Gingerbread Jnr; Dodgson, Crazy

Subs: Brookes, Philippens, Bobinho Jr, Kroeger Jnr., Hasek, Healy, Castagnoli

1st Half: STI lined up for this World Cup Qualifier with a new face for the fans as Blackbeard was chosen to make his debut. The Southerners were rank outsiders for this game but with the frenzied home support behind them, they would be hoping to pull off a shock. The atmosphere obviously had the players fired up with Tom Smith picking up a yellow after just 3 minutes for a crunching tackle. The busiest Panmanian in the stadium during the first half proved to be the physio as he was called onto the pitch several times as STI sought to out-muscle their opponents. The Southerners had their chances too with Gus Crazy and James II going close. However, the Panama defence was proving stubborn and the half finished goalless.

Half Time Score: STI 0, Panama 0

2nd Half: STI boss Jason de Mire could sense that the oppositioın was there for the taking and his team came out for the second half looking even more determined. The opening goal didn’t take long to come as Smith played a ball to Crazy on the edge of the area. At first, it looked as though the striker’s first touch was too heavy but the keeper and defence were slow to react and Crazy was able to take the ball past the goalie and smash it into an empty net. That goal rattled Panama and the secod was not long coming. Following a corner, Meija, the Panama keeper rolled the ball out to Cox but the defender was slow to turn and STI captain James II pounced, took the ball and scored from the edge of the area. The home side then suffered a set back as Gus Crazy pulled up in considerable pain as he chased the ball. After the match it was revealed he had torn a calf muscle and faces a 4 month injury lay off. That unsettled STI slightly with Blackbeard having to make his first saves of the game as Panama tried to get back into the match. However, it was STI who would score next and effectively end the game as a contest when a free kick was awarded just outside the box. James II the fired the dead ball straight into the back of the net for his second and his team’s third. STI then shuffled things around a little with Hasek coming on for Lemon and, shortly afterwards, Bobinho Jr entering the game in place of Hart Jr to win his first cap. Immediately afterwards, the 4th goal came as Panama failed to deal with a corner and the half-cleared ball fell to Tom Smith who smacked it straight into the back of the net. In the last ten minutes, Hasek picked up a knock and left the pitch as a precaution. Even with 10 men, STI continued to attack and got one more goal in the last minute. Panama keeper Meija completed a nightmare performance as he came out of his area to clear the ball but hesitated, allowing J.D. Dodgson to nip in and score to complete an amazing victory.

Final Score: STI 5, Panama 0 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Gwilym J. James II (8.9)

Attendance: 86,013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northern Treasure Islands v. U.S.A.

Date: 07.06.08

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 1st Phase, 2nd Round, Leg 1

Venue: Capital City Stadium, Capital City

NTI Line-up (4-4-2): Harrow; Jonathan, Hamilton, Tner, Lazewski; Blanco, McBob Jnr. ©, Flash, Iglesias; Collingwood, Gonzalez JR

Subs: Almond, Boyle, Barkley, Browne, Hawkini, Twigge Jr

1st Half: NTI faced a mammoth task against heavy favourites U.S.A. but they would be hoping a passionate home crowd would help them earn an advantage in the first leg. Gonzalez JR was welcomed back after recovering from a broken armand Molin Tner was chosen to make his debut in the centre of defence. Things didn’t get off to a good start for NTI as Jonathan pulled up almost immediately favouring his right knee (it was rumoured that he recently injured following a fall whilst getting off a plane but he had been decşared fit for the match). He decided to continue but looked in some discomfort. NTI soon settled into a rythym and had some good early chnaces with Collingwood and Flash both shooting close but wide. The experience of the U.S.A. players soon began to show though as Harrow was forced into two good saves from Beasly and Adu. McBob then decided to take Jonathan off despite the player insisting he could continue. It turned out the boss was right as post-match scans revealed a twisted knee for the right back. Soon after that, there was a turning point in the game as Gonzalez JR ran with the ball and was viciously hacked down by Micheal Bradley. The American got a straight red card and left the pitch to a chorus of boos. Tha gave the home side the advantage but the Americans immediately closed up and played out the half without giving any chances away.

Half Time Score: NTI 0, U.S.A. 0

2nd Half: At the start of the second half, Boyle came on in place of Flash as NTI looked for different options in midfield. It had little effect though as the Americans defended deep and stubbornly. NTI’s best chance came as debutant Tner came up for a corner and smashed his header against the crossbar. More changes came as Twigge Jr picked up his first cap with Iglesias leaving the game. Try as they might, NTI couldn’t find the breakthrough and as they tired, the Americans started to create chances. Luckily, Harrow was in good form and denied Altidore on more than one ocassion. Another injury hit NTI late on as Hamilton tumbled under a challenge and was taken off with suspected broken ribs, meaning he is definitely out of the return game. With Flash and Collingwood also picking up knocks, the Norhterners could be missing as many as 6 players (including previous injuries) for the away leg next week. As the final whistle went, NTI had eanred a good result against tough opponents but couldn’t help feeling that they had missed a chance to win.

Final Score: NTI 0, U.S.A. 0 | NTI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Clint Dempsey (7.5)

Attendance: 89,995

Boyle Hopeful of Starting Place

Today Robert Boyle broke his media duck as he swaggered into the press conference to talk about his Northern Treasure Island career so far. He is glad to have been picked for the NTI squad at such a young age of 16. He has made 3 appearances off the bench so far but a starting place has so far eluded him. His father, also named Robert Boyle, struggled to start too many matches for the national side but will the younger Boyle make the central midfield position his own? He certainly hopes so and he had this to say: "Although it is only early days in my career I think I am deserving of a place in the starting line up for my country. I believe I am good enough to hold my place down in the engine room of the team and I can only improve. I think if I play well for my club then my manager can not ignore me and will have to pick me." The subject moved to Boyle's club, Crew Alexandra. "Your Father was one of the best strikers around on the club front, can you live up to this yourself?" Enquired one of the journalists. "I believe I can, I will do my best to help Crewe but it is really just a stepping stone and a place to showcase my talent for the top clubs at which I want to end up at in the, hopefully, near future." Another journalist asked, "How is your relationship with the other Treasure Islander in the Crewe squad, Theo Stigarakis?" Robert's voice gained a distateful tone, "oh, him... I will make it no secret that we don't get on. He is from STI which automatically means I have to loath him. He plays in my position but I know that I am a better player so will be able to get him out of the side." With that Boyle got up and left the press conference to go to training.

Blanco starts for NTI again, still doesn't even get mentioned in the match report...

Really? Didn't notice that - I guess that there's not much action down the NTI flanks :D

Time permitting, I may be able to get the second leg reports up tonight. :thup:

QPR WORLD

Double-goal James II speaks to QPR World

QPR World: Hi Gwilym. First up, you got your first two goals at international level against Panama. How do you feel about that?

James II: I'm pleased obviously. I went through my first couple of games, against the Bahamas, without getting anything, but now to have broken my duck I'm sure I'll be able to get more.

QPR World: Talk me through the first goal.

James II: Well, the keeper sent out the ball and their defender just lost it. Obviously I pounced and could just send it off.

QPR World: And the second?

James II: The second was a free-kick, edge of the area. Obviously, you'll have seen my free-kick skills while playing for QPR, and this was basically the same. We got the free-kick, I took it, and it flew into the net.

QPR World: Five up - You must be feeling confident for the second leg.

James II: Of course. We're 5-0 up and I think it's fair to say we're into the next round of the WCQ.

QPR World: Thank you Gwilym.

Chivas Youngster begs for forgiveness

The up and coming Chivas youngster Hawkini, who started life off in Mexico with a bang announcing his entrance to the professional world as "Nacho" Hawkini - in admiration of his idol Jack Black, has been in touch with this paper.

Acapulco Times: Hawkini - your career started so good - a first place start for NTI, a promising contract in Mexico. But one mistake on the foreign stage in your first match, and you have been relegated to the bench. Have you crashed and burned already?

Hawkini: Wow - that's a little harsh - no I haven't crashed and burned - I was lulling the British Virgen Isles attack into a false sense of security, so they would become weak and over confident later in the match. In all seriousness though - please can you send a message to my NTI Manager, Bob McBob. "Bob - I have many sisters willing to stick coloured paper over themselves and be beaten by your love pinata stick if you pick me."

Hawkini then wondered off munching some corn on a stick.

THE SOUTHERN TREASURE ISLAND TIMES

Although he's young and has only been on the scene a few months, it appears Claudio Castagnoli is unhappy with the Southern Treasure Islands manager. The full-back, who is equally adept at playing on the left or the right has said nothing publicly, in large part due to his manager at Milan banning him from talking to the press until he's older, but friends of his have revealed his frustration.

Our source, who wishes to remain private, has said that Claudio is unhappy at being called up for three international ties so far, but then not used in any of them. It's believed he'd prefer to stay in Italy if he's not going to play, where he can carry on with his training and playing for the Milan under 20 side.

Treasure Island WCQ Round-up:

STI Cruise Through To Group Stages | NTI In Shoot Out Drama

Panama v. Southern Treasure Islands

Date: 14.06.08

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 1st Phase, 2nd Round, Leg 2

Venue: Rommel Fernandez, Panama City

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Blackbeard; van Pieters, Ferguson, Cardiovascular, Hasek; Bobinho Jr, Smith, James II ©, Gingerbread Jnr; Dodgson, Kroeger Jnr.

Subs: Brookes, Stigarakis, Healy, Philippens, Castagnoli, Lemon

1st Half: This match was as good as over but STI would stil be looking to enhance their reputation with a win. Blackbeard kept his place in goal and Hasek passed a late fitness test and entered the starting line-up. After making his debut as a sub in the first leg, Bobinho Jr was also brought in for his first start with Kroeger Jnr. replacing the injured Gus Crazy. The start of the game was predicatably low key and it was 15 minutes before a decent chance was created but Blackbeard in the STI goal proved more than equal as he saved calmly. STI’s first chance came on 26 minutes and it provided the first goal. The Southerners were awarded a free kick wide on the right and James II hit an inswinging ball to the far post. The keeper Herrera (Meija had been dropped after his woeful performance in the first leg) came for the ball but was beaten to it by Kroeger Jnr., who scored with a simple header. The lead only lasted ten minutes as Panama won a corner and striker Herrera beat Ferguson to the ball to head home. Any slight hopes of a comeback were dashed soon after as Armando gun was sent off following a two-footed challeneg on Bobinho Jr.

Half Time Score: Panama 1, STI 1

2nd Half: The second half was very quiet as Panama sought to avoid further embarassment and STI were content to play the game out at a canter. Healy was brought on with 20 minutes to go in place of Smith and Loic Philippens also came on to make his debut as Kroeger Jnr. went off. The Osnabrück forward nearly scored with his first touch too but was to be denied by the post. As the final whistle came, STI’s celebrations began as their World Cup dream continued.

Final Score: Panama 1, STI 1 (STI advance 6-1 on aggregate) | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Arturo Herrara (7.6)

Attendance: 34,995

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S.A. v. Northern Treasure Islands

Date: 14.06.08

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 1st Phase, 2nd Round, Leg 2

Venue: KC Wizards Stadium, Kansas City

NTI Line-up (4-4-2): Harrow; Lazewski, Tner, Hawkini, Twigge Jr; Bojangles, McBob Jnr ©, Barkley, Iglesias; Gonzalez JR, Browne

Subs: Almond, Blanco, Boyle, Collingwood, Flash

1st Half: NTI boss McBob was forced into several changes following injuries in the first leg. Hawkini was recalled to the side in place of Hamilton and Twigge Jr made the starting XI following Jonathan’s injury. Flash and Collingwood were only considered fit enough for the bench so Jack Browne was recalled and Barkley made his debut in the centre of midfield. The only other change was the inclusion of Bojangles at the expense of the hitherto silent Blanco. As expected, U.S.A. tried to dominate the game and score early on but they met with stiff resistance from the NTI backline. Harrow was on form to deny Ralston twice early on and Tner and Hawkini were doing a good job of frustrating the American attack. Despite heavy domination from the home side, the score remained at 0-0 as the half came to an end.

Half Time Score: U.S.A. 0, NTI 0

2nd Half: After the break, the mtch continued much in the same vein with Donavan, Altidore and Kljestan having good chances but all being denied by the NTI defenders. NTI finally got a break on 69 mintes but Gonzalez JR hit his shot straight at Howard in the American goal. Collingwood, Flash and Blanco were all introduced into the game but they couldn’t change the course of play as the home side continued to dominate. However, the U.S.A. just couldn’t make the breakthough and 90 minutes finished without a goal and extra time beckoned.

Full Time Score: U.S.A. 0, NTI 0

Extra Time: The U.S.A. appeared to be out of steam during extra time but the young NTIers were still bursting with energy and started to create chances. Collingwood had a good chance after being played through by Gonzalez JR but his shot went just over the bar. Blanco also had a good oppurtunity after he cut inside from the right flank and shot from a tight angle but saw the ball go over the bar. With no goals in 210 minutes of football, this tie would be settled by penalties....

Penalty Shoot Out: And so onto the lottery of penalties and, unfortunately for NTI, this was where experience really made a difference. The Americans didn’t miss a single penalty but NTI could only score one, courtesy of Twigge Jr. Gonzalez JR and Barkley both succumbed to the pressure and NTI, despite a spirited performance and a huge effort, were eliminated. For those who can bear to watch, this is the penalty shoot out as it happened.

Final Score (a.e.t.): U.S.A. 0, NTI 0 (aggregate score 0-0, U.S.A. win 4-1 on penalties)| NTI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Landon Donovan (7.5)

Attendance: 18,472

yay first cap :)

and a good performance as well :)

missed a bloody penalty :(

brilliant performance by the lads. we gave it everything, only to lose on penalties. oh well, there's always next time.

well done to STI though.

[edit]just watched the penalties. i cant believe i didnt actually hit the target. doesnt that lad know anything! when i've taken penalties for my school, i take a run up from the centre to keep the keeper guessing!

STI look to have a decent group, so they shouldnt do too badly

THE SOUTHERN TREASURE ISLANDS HEAT

THE WEEKLY GOSSIP

After Milan defender Claudio Castagnoli was again omitted from the Southern Treasure Islands national team for the game against Panama, a few theories have been circulating around why the youngster hasn't received a chance. But we believe we have the answer, as recently Claudio has been spotted having dinner and spending time with a young lass named Gemma. The trouble with this?

She's the daughter of national team manager Jason de Mire. And apparently he's not pleased with her being seen out with a footballer, having first hand experience of seeing what footballers get up to and not wanting her seen as a 'WAG'. We'll try and have more on this story in the future, and see if this issue resolves itself.

I'm ecstatic that I've become first choice left back for the STI national team. We've seen the draw for the WC qualifiers and I think that we will make it through. However, their is on thing I'm sick off, and that seeing the inside of the damned hospital. I can't wait until someone picks me up so that I can work on my football shape. Just trying to keep busy. I've picked up this game called Football Manager, seems a fun game but I'm not sure yet. Ah, the endless vacation hopefully is coming to an end, but I'll wait longing near my phone until the call comes.

From the journal of Ondrej Hasek: dated 3/5/09

Excellent stuff STI, well done lads :)

Well played to Blackbeard as well, 2 games each now Fred congratulates you :thup:

Although I'm meant to hate NTI I must say they were very unlucky!!

Great work as usual DodgeeD!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I was called up for our first set of matches in the World Cup Qualifying. The British Virgin Islands were to be our first opponents. These matches were very easy for me and my mates, and we qualified easily. However, we were drawn against the United States of America in the next phase of qualification. This will not be easy, but I think its possible that we could pull off the shock of the ages and beat the U.S.

Well, it was a great run against the best CONCACAF has to offer, but we were not able to shock the world. We lost on penalties and I felt that I should have had the ability to take one of them, but I will continue to get better and we will qualify for the 2014 World Cup, that is a promise.

Excerpts from Lawrence Lazewski's journal

The Kroeger Daily

Heinrich Kroeger Sr was seen celebrating with his son Jnr late into the night as STI convincingly beat Panama to advance to the next round. Junior Kroeger claimed that he was already better than his father, as he had scored 1 goal more than him :D

Senior took it very well though, challenging his son to beat his appearances record next. He was also seen giving Blackbeard extra tips before the games, which he claimed were a major part in STI conceding just 1 goal in 3 games.

When asked about rival NTI's exit at the hands of the United States, the Kroegers had this to say : Their loss doesn't surprise us as we fully expected them to lose. The United States were poor though, letting the match to roll into penalties without killing NTI off in regulation time. This view was, infact, shared by most STIers.

Until next time,

Heidi Klum

NTI GK coach happy with result,would iconduct secret training

Jack Harrow SR said that he is pleased that we managed to hold the USA to goalless draws but are unable to resist the pressure in penalties so training would be on penalties training until the Gold cup...

Good to see Rufio doing well and STI moving smoothly into the next round, something I can't say for NTI. The Group stages could produce anything and so hopefully with a bit of luck and some continued good performances all around, we should see STI continue their quest towards the World Cup finals. Who knows, Rufio might even manage a goal at some point!

I see Hawkini's trick of luring his coach with the prospect of kinky Mexican foreplay with some of his sisters worked a treat - he was called up again! Match looks like he did well - hopefully he can cement his place in future campaigns after a poor start.

What would Bob McBobs son say about his fathers temptation?? ;)

Sad to see NTI go out - we can only get stronger though.

Porto Reporto

No Brown love at Porto

Obviously fed up of not getting enough media attention to satiate his incredible ego the Porto Reporto recieved a unexpected phonecall from the controversial utility man (yes, he's a right tool alright) Senor Juan Alvaro Brown...

Reporto: Congratulations on your first caps for NTI Senor Juan Alvaro Brown but you must be dissapointed to have your qualification hopes extinguished so early on. How does it feel?

Brown: Juan Alvaro Brown is of course very dissapointed but not surprised.

In my debut my and the coach agreed that Juan Alvaro Brown should not start as the NTI boasts a young squad and it was felt my superior ability would only dishearten the kids. However, it wa soon apparent that the team needs a player of Juan Alvaro Browns quality and I was glad I could win the match for the boys. I really think that a player such of Juan Alvaro Brown is an inspiration to the team and it was no surprise that with Juan Alvaro Brown in defence the team felt comfortable to push forward in the second leg and reap the goals Juan Alvaro Brown had sown.

Alas, it is easy to forget Juan Alvaro Brown is a mere mortal and the problem with playing with inferior players is that Juan Alvaro Brown takes on the work of the whole team and that is how Juan Alvaro came to be injured and without Juan Alvaro Brown the NTI will always lose. I will request that the manager recognises this and delegates some of Juan Alvaro Browns responsibilities to the other players. Juan Alvaro Brown feels that Craig Healy is extremeley suited to cleaning Juan Alvaro Browns boots. Perhaps some of the skill they contain might rub of on him along with the mud, for he certainly requires it.

Reporto: ... Have you finished? Recognised by a promising, hard working youngster by the fans are you happy to see Healy get his first caps and do you think the experience he will gain from playing at a higher level with STI will benefit his game domestically?

Brown: Your readers will not want to read about Healy! This is Juan Alvaro Browns interview! How dare you tarnish it with referencesto a player of such meagre quality!

Reporto: I believe you mentioned him first?

Brown: Juan Alvaro Brown is ending the interview

Archived