The Return To Treasure Island: The Ultimate Rivalry Lives Again!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Treasure Islands Player of the Month, July 2013

Before the final, we have just enough time to look at the July 2013 Treasure Island Player of the Month. With the NTI players all off on their summer hols, this month's pick obviously comes from STI's Gold Cup squad. The July Player of the Month is:

Blackbeard!!!

A series of solid dispalys between the sticks have led to this month's award. Performed heroics agsinst the U.S.A. and Mexico in the knockout rounds and even got a 7.2 rating when he conceded three against the Mexicans in the group stage. STI will be hoping for more of the same against Canada in the final.

Blackbeard's July Stats

Also worth a mention:

Ondrej Hasek - another consistent member of the STI side and MoM against the U.S.A.

Tom Smith - great in the first game against Guatemala and played through the pain barrier to make a contribution against Mexico.

Loic Philippens - didn't allow his search for a new club to distract him as he has appeared in every game so far and scored 2 goals. :thup:

STI Apply ‘Heinrich Maneuvre’ But Canada Still Choke

Southern Treasure Islands v. Mexico

Date: 04.08.2013

Competition: 2013 Gold Cup, Final

Venue: Aloha Stadium, Honolulu

Previous Meeting: STI 1, Canada 3 (World Cup Quals 2nd Phase Group 2, 21.11.2012)

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Blackbeard; Castagnoli, van der Cook, Toscani, Cardiovascular; Hart Jr, Smith, James II ©, Gingerbread Jnr; Dodgson, Kroeger Jnr.

Subs: Brookes, Burrows, Bobinho Jr, Philippens, Hasek, Hayward, Ogden

Match Report: The 2013 Gold Cup final was one that few had expected: STI, without a win in the final phase of World Cup Qualifying, against Canada, a side that hadn’t even made the final phase. The STI line-up was shuffled around before the game with Stigarakis inexplicably dropped and Marcus van der Cook handed his first start of the tournament instead. Toscani was also recalled, meaning Cardiovascular moved to left back and Hasek, so consistent to date, was dropped to the bench. Aside from that, STI fans were glad to see Tom Smith come through a late fitness test on a calf strain. The only other change was Kroeger Jnr. coming in up front in place of Philippens and that proved to be a master stroke as he scored with the first attack of the game. Hart Jnr had made a run down the right but his cross missed everybody and the danger seemed to have passed. Kroeger Jnr. had other ideas however, and chased the ball down before controlling it on the edge of the area and hitting a sweet curling shot on the turn to put STI into an early lead. Canada tried to get back into it and had some good chances in an even half but the STI defence was tight, especially as van der Cook was dominating the aerial battle very effectively. A sour note for STI came as Tom Smith collapsed midway through the half, going off with what was later revealed to be a torn calf muscle. The second half was also very even. Kroeger Jnr. was STI’s most potent attacking weapon and on another day, could have had a hat-trick. STI were almost made to rue his missed chances as Canada applied some late pressure but a pair of fine saves from Blackbeard and some more solid defending held off the threat. As the final whistle blew, the STI players, coaches, fans and all those watching back home roared in delight. It is said the cheers from Cove Bay could be heard across the Islands through the deserted streets of Capital City....

Final Score: STI 1, Canada 0 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Attendance: 49,983

Man of the Match: Heinrich Kroeger Jnr. (7.9)

2013 Gold Cup Round Up

So a great tournament for STI as they exceeded all expectations to grab the trophy! They will now be hoping to build on that success and secure an automatic World Cup qualifying spot.

Awards

STIers featıured heavily in the end of tournament awards:

Best Player – Tom Smith gets honoured for putting his body on the line to help his country take the Gold. J.D. Dodgson’s two goals and three assists get him 3rd place.

Dream Team – 5 STIers made the tournament XI.

Goal of the Tournament – Tom Smith’s fine curling strike in the opener against Guatemala was voted 2nd.

Gold Cup champions!! :D It was inevitable really though. ;) Can't believe i'm injured again! That bloody calf. How long does that put me out for? It must be a while if it's torn. Eek!

Another mention in the 'Player of the Month', but still can't claim the accolade.

Anyway, kutgw!! :thup:

EDIT: Best Player, Dream Team and Goal of the Tournament \o/\o/ Fantastic!

August 2013 Transfer Update

This will bring us up to date with all the wheelings and dealings during the Gold Cup.

Done Deals

· Intrest in the STI players was obviously high due to their summer success and the first big move of the summer involved J.D. Dodgson as he left relegated Hull to join Liverpool in a ₤10.75m deal. Hopefully, he’ll get a few chances to partner Torres up front. ;)

· Kroeger Jnr. also completed a deal during the tournament as he left Bulgarian side Levski to join Scottish Premier League outfit Hibernian in a ₤500k move.

· Loic Philippens completed a trio of transfers for STI strikers as the free agent signed a 4 year, ₤15k p/w deal with English Premier League side Fulham.

· An NTI striker, Jack Browne, also switched clubs as Palermo bought the player outright from Torino and AC Milan for ₤5mil.

Rumours

· Fred Brookes may be about to get his ticket out of Australia with Portugal rumoured to be his destination as Sporting Lisbon have been connected with the young goalie.

· Az Toscani is being coveted by a couple of MLS sides, namely FC Dallas and Houston. The Bulgarians just won’t go away though with CSKA Sofia interested also.

· Could Pablo Gonzalez JR be on his way to England? Possibly if Bolton follow up their purported interest.

· Jerome Le Quack is wanted by Portuguese sides Belenenses and Espinho.

· Jack Harrow could be on the move yet again as Scottish side Hearts and Spanish team Almeria linked with a move for the goalie.

Next Update: World Cup Qualifiers

It’s the big one!

Northern Treasure Islands v. Southern Treasure Islands

The STI News caught up with Heinrich Kroeger Jnr after the finals of the Gold Cup:

Reporter: How does it feel scoring the winning goal to get STI's first major trophy?

HKJ: Absolutely wonderful, I tell you. Absolutely wonderful.

Reporter: Do you agree it was a masterstroke by the STI manager to throw you into the starting 11 for the final?

HKJ: Raaarrrgghh. Of course it was.

Reporter: Is it true that you have moved to Scotland?

HKJ: Indeed, this club called Hibernian make an offer which my club accepted. Always on the lookout for new challenges, I tell you.

Reporter: Where was your dad, Heinrich Kroeger Snr, during the STI finals?

HKJ: The last time I spoke to him, he was in Hawaii with Heidi Klum. So dad, if you're watching this, Look! We've bought the Gold Cup back where it belongs to.

Reporter: Back where it belongs to?

HKJ: Indeed.

Reporter: Finally, what do you have to say about your rivals NTI, who didn't qualify for the Gold Cup?

HKJ: They're a bunch of titties.

Reporter: Titties?

HKJ: Indeed.

Disappointed to be dropped for the final but we still managed a win so I guess I can't complain.

Philippens finally gets a move and it's to a fairly big club, just hope it doesn't turn out to be like "The Wigan Years" of Ramiro's career :rolleyes: How've Fulham been doing in recent seasons?

Great stuff as always DD and KUTGW :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry about this but it looks like I shall be taking a break from FM and the forums for the forseeable future. I've just started an MA and balancing it with work has proved tough and I simply don't have time for FM anymore, meaning my current saves (including this) are all on hold... :( I won't even be getting FM10 this year, at least until I've got a few assignments out of the way. :eek:

I wouldn't say it's dead - it's just in a deep coma. :p

Thanks for you support!

DodgeeD signing out...

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to continue with Goal of the Month as it doesn't really take much time - I only need to watch a few videos of goals and that's it (much less time consuming than holidaying, checking up on each player, writing reports, taking screenshots etc).

For now, the db and save game files are on my external hd and, as I said before, may be revived at some point if I get the chance. :)

Archived