The Return To Treasure Island: The Ultimate Rivalry Lives Again!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

International News: 2013 Gold Cup Group Draw

Following the recent international derby between the Southern and Northern Treasure Islands, all eyes turned towards the draw for this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup. NTI had not been invited for the 2009 or 2011 editions but both were hopeful that their recent progress to the final phase of World Cup Qualifying and climb up the World Rankings would see them included. STI, on the other hand, were looking for a return to the competition they had reached the quarter finals of two years previously.

STI got the good news they had been expecting as they were drawn in Group A. Mexico will provide tough opponents but the Southerners will be confident of handling Guatemala and Panama and progressing to the knockout rounds. Their joy was complemented by the feeling of getting one up on their rivals as NTI were once again snubbed and left out of the competition altogether. Reports of bigwigs from the STIFA meeting the heads of CONCACAF on luxury yatchs in the Cove Bay Marina and handing over lavish presents at the time of the rivals recent match immediately surfaced in the Northern press but are, as of yet, unproven.

The draw in full:

Group A

Guatemala

Mexico

Panama

Southern Treasure Islands

Group B

Belize

Honduras

Jamaica

U.S.A.

Group C

Canada

Costa Rica

Netherlands Antilles

Trinidad & Tobago

The action kicks off on Wednesday 17th July when Guatemala play STI.

Sorry for the delay in getting to the big match and the lack of video highlights but I'm still away and struggling with a primitive internet connection. No fear though as I'll be back home by Thursday and then we can get cracking with the rest of the updates. :thup:

Good news - I'm back home and with full internet access once more! I'll have an update ready for you tomorrow.

Had a couple of ideas while I was away. In order to take a closer look at what the players are doing at their clubs, I thought I could either choose a 'Treasure Islands Player of the Month' and focus on any special performances or, in order to reward the regular posters, choose a couple of players from each nation to track in detail each season. What do you think?

And as for FM10 - competition editor! Time to make a Treasure Islands league me thinks! :D

Cannot wait for FM10 now just for the Treasure Island league:)

And the idea about covering each player for a month i really like but it might become time consuming so its up to you whether you can think you can spare those extra minutes writing the updates.

I'll have to see what the editor is like but I'm thinking along the lines of a 'Create your club' kind of sign up with rival teams from both sides of the Islands in it (possibly regional North/south leagues for the second tier if that's do-able). Could be purely a sign up or a challenge... Anyway, just an idea for now. ;)

I'll start a player of the month feature at the next possible point then. It won't necessarily be the best performer over the month but could be a player who reached a milestone, made a big transfer, scored a last minute goal to knock Chelsea out of the Champions League at the semi final stage, something like that ;)

Mini Transfer Update

Once again, our friends in Bulgaria provide us with a little addition to the transfer news. Shortly after the STI-NTI game, Ondrej Hasek decided life in Sofia wasn't for him and so, he boarded a plane not for the Bulgarian capital but for Switzerland having agreed a 300k switch from CSKA Sofia to Neuchatel Xamax. That move marks the third time in his career that Hasek has left a club just a few months after joining. :eek: It must be those signing on fees. ;)

Squad news for the March/April qualifiers coming later on.

Squads Announced For Next Round of Qualifiers

Both the Northern and Southern Treasure Islands have named their squads for the World Cup Qualifiers to be played on March 30th and April 3rd.

NTI, who are home to Jamaica first, welcome back James Alomond after the keeper recovered from injury. However, they are without Juan Alvaro Brown, suspended for two matches after his sending off in the STI game. Jack Browne and Benat Fernandez Iglesias are also left out of the squad due to suspension as they picked up yellow cards in the same game. That means some inexperienced regens are included, which will stretch the Northerners a little, especially when they face Mexico.

NTI Squad:

NorthernTreasureIslands.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STI are still missing Rufio van Pieters but name an unchanged squad as they gear up for a tricky trip to Honduras to face the Gold Cup holders and a tough home tie against the U.S.A.

STI Squad:

SouthernTreasureIslands.png

Sorry for the lack of updates this weekend but I had the house to myself, no guests, visitors or kids for the first time in 6 weeks so I sat down and actually played FM for the first time in ages. Good fun it was too. :)

World Cup Qualifiers and end of season to be covered this week. :thup:

NTI Beat Jamaica With Some Help From Tobago | STI Made To Work Hard In Honduras

Northern Treasure Islands v. Jamaica

Date: 30.03.2013

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 3rd Phase

Venue: Capital City Stadium, Capital City

Previous Meeting: -

NTI Form: WLWWD | World Ranking: 103rd

Jamaica Form: DWLLL| World Ranking: 87th

NTI Line-up (4-4-2): Almond; Jonathan, Hamilton, Hawkini, Lazewski;Bojangles, Flash, Barkley, McBob Jnr. ©; Gonzalez JR, Tobago

Subs: Harrow, Hurst, McNally, Barron, Hendrie, Tner, Gray

Match Report: The Northerners entered this game knowing a win was needed, especially with a big match against Mexico looming. Although their opponents sat higher in the world rankings, NTI approached the game with confidence and it showed in their performance as they dominated most of the game. They had their shooting boots on too with 10 shots on target giving the Jamaican keeper a busy afternoon. Alex Barkley and Pablo Gonzalez JR found themselves in several good positions but were unlucky to be denied their goals. The solitary goal fell to the debutant Trevor Tobago, who scored with his only effort of the match, a low drive into the bottom corner following a great run and cross from Bojangles. Tobago’s joy was somehwat tempered in the second half as he fell and damged his elbow, meaning he will miss the game against Mexico. Jamaica rarely threatened with NTI’s defence solid and in the end, NTI won 3 vital points.

Final Score: NTI 1, Jamaica 0 | NTI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Martin Bojabgles (7.5)

Attendance: 86,115

Milestones: - Trevor Tobago made his debut and scored his first goal for NTI.

- Lawrence Lazewski and Tom Hamilton picked up their 20th caps.

- Hawkini made his 15th appearance for NTI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honduras. v. Southern Treasure Islands

Date: 30.03.2013

Competition: World Cup Quals (NAM), 3rd Phase

Venue: Francisco Morazan, San Pedro Sula

Previous Meeting: Honduras 3, STI 1 (WCQ 2nd Phase Group 2, 15.10.2008)

Honduras Form: DDWWD| World Ranking: 30th

STI Form: WWDLD| World Ranking: 80th

STI Line-up (4-4-2): Blackbeard; Castagnoli, Stigarakis, Toscani, Cardiovascular; Hart Jnr, Smith, James II ©, Gingerbread Jnr; Dodgson, Philippens

Subs: Brookes, Hasek, Puckett, Burrows, Kroeger Jnr., Smith, van der Cook

Match Report: STI faced a tricky away tie to Honduras, who are the reigning Gold Cup Champions after all. Their previous visit here over 4 years ago had been an unhappy one and memories of that game would have come flooding back to the Southerners as they soon fond themselves a goal down as Hendry Thomas fired in a long range effort on 15 minutes. STI had a great chance to level the game just before the half hour mark as Loic Philippens was hauled down in the box and a penalty was given. Captain James II steped up but he hit it too close to the keeper, who saved with ease. It seemed that STI’s chance to get a result had gone when Castro doubled the home side’s lead just 3 minutes later with a header. STI did not let their heads drop however and they pulled a goal back very quickly. Gingerbread Jnr made it, chasing down an overhit cross from Hart Jnr before pulling the ball back to the edge of the area where James II was on hand to make amends for his ealier miss with a well-placed strike. In the second half, STI really took the game to Honduras but were guilty of missing some golden opportunities, with Dodgson and Philippens particularly wasteful. It seemed that if another goal was coming, it would be STI’s and that proved to be the case as a quick STI break allowed Burrows to set up Kroeger Jnr. The shot was saved but the rebound fell to Hart Jnr, who played the ball into an empty net and saved a point for his team.

Final Score: Honduras 2, STI 2 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Man of the Match: Paul Hart Jnr (7.8)

Attendance: 21,975

Milestones: - Captain Gingerbread Jnr picked up his 30th cap.

- Cardiovascular made his 25th international appearance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Result:

Mexico 3, U.S.A. 2

Archived