Third place play-off: Croatia vs Morocco, 3PM GMT, Khalifa International Stadium

Darius1998

Preview

Previous World Cup runners-up Croatia take on Africa's first semi-finalists in Morocco in today's third place play-off. Both sides started off in the same group, exceeded expectations and will now hope to put their semi-final disappointments behind them. After all, there are medals at stake and finishing 3rd is usually better than losing a final.

Romain Saiss is definitely out while Marcelo Brozovic is a big doubt for Croatia.

Past meetings

This will be the third meeting between the sides. Croatia beat Morocco on penalties after a 2-2 draw in the Hassan II Trophy in 1996 while their group meeting at this World Cup finished goalless.

About third place play-offs

None of the 19 previous third place games have gone to penalties. Only one has ever been to extra time - France vs Belgium in 1986 and European countries have won this on the last 10 occasions, including Croatia themselves (2-1 vs Netherlands in 1998).

Last three games:
2010 - Uruguay 2-3 Germany
2014 - Brazil 0-3 Netherlands
2018 - Belgium 2-0 England

No lineups yet obviously as kick off is still a few hours away so here are some stats instead:

• Ivan Perisic is Croatia's joint top scorer at World Cups with 6, level with Davor Suker.
  • This will be Walid Regragui's 7th World Cup game, tying Aliou Cisse's record for an African coach.
  • Morocco conceded more goals in the semis than they did in their past 5 World Cup games (1). Croatia conceded as many as they had in their past 5 games (3).
  • Morocco could also become the eighth team to keep five clean sheets at a single tournament after Netherlands (1974), Italy (1990), Brazil (1994), France (1998), Germany (2002), Italy (2006) and Spain (2010).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

I’ve opted out this year, gone to a non-league game instead. Pointless fixture. Croatian players hanging around since Tuesday night to play a match nobody will remember.

I don't think that's the case.

Morocco will surely want a medal and we're not above it either, players will surely give their best.

3rd place playoffs are usually entertaining matches.

Croatia's lineup is actually by far the most attacking one so far and will just cause frustration to the fans when they realize there was no need to be so turgid during the tournament.

Can't say I am particularly excited about this.

Think it'll be as dull as their last meeting - just with 30 extra minutes, and then Croatia winning on penalties (as they always do). Hope I'm proven wrong, but I doubt it.

14 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Everyone needs to remember this when they say this game is pointless :D 

Loads of goals doesn’t mean the outcome isn’t pointless :D 

Always quite a high scoring game usually because teams usually both have a go and it’s not the end of the world if they lose. 2002, 2006 and 2010 third place games all had 4-5 goals iirc.

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Why did he not feature more? 

Shares the position with Perišić, isn't as effective on the right.

Still, as you can see from this game, this is why I dislike Dalić so much.

If he had a chance to play the semi-final again, he would still insist on the same turgid setup and negative football.