Match 27: Croatia vs Canada 4pm UK time from Khalifa International Stadium

The_jagster

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I was right, who would've thought.

On a more serious note, Canadian idea of pressing is great, but they just don't have the defensive midfielders or defenders to make up for it.

Any decent team will eventually dismantle it and then they're lost.

Still a lot of time left, you never know with Lovren on the pitch.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Oh, I was right, who would've thought.

On a more serious note, Canadian idea of pressing is great, but they just don't have the defensive midfielders or defenders to make up for it.

Any decent team will eventually dismantle it and then they're lost.

Still a lot of time left, you never know with Lovren on the pitch.

when looking back in the tv studio - Bel vs Can - there were acres of space to play into but we always seemed to go into the funnel where the Canadians wanted us to

maybe the Croatian team also studied this match and benefits from it

Just now, buffalo said:

when looking back in the tv studio - Bel vs Can - there were acres of space to play into but we always seemed to go into the funnel where the Canadians wanted us to

maybe the Croatian team also studied this match and benefits from it

Our midfield is just too good not to exploit it, you have just KdB and he had one of the worst matches I've seen him play.

Canada on the ropes, luckily for them it's HT.

Gvardiol is a monster, will be the best CB of his generation.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Our midfield is just too good not to exploit it, you have just KdB and he had one of the worst matches I've seen him play.

commentators are saying this Croatia has either youngsters or older players and is lacking quality in the generation in between

maybe this is also for Croatia the last chance of a prize, or maybe as with us you had your moment in Russia 

2 minutes ago, buffalo said:

commentators are saying this Croatia has either youngsters or older players and is lacking quality in the generation in between

maybe this is also for Croatia the last chance of a prize, or maybe as with us you had your moment in Russia 

This team gets to QF, best case scenario.

Noone in this squad except for Modrić and Perišić is old.

Well, Lovren is, but everyone wants him gone. :D

Quantity wise, there's plenty of talent coming up and we'll be on more or less the same level...except that you can't expect another Modrić level players. But as far as quality players playing for top clubs goes, it shouldn't be a concern over the next years.

Idk what was Canada's coach plan with Hutchinson chasing Kovačić around, how was that supposed to work?

Edited by GunmaN1905

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Playing Lovren instead of Šutalo is ridiculous tbh. Šutalo is basically Gvardiol with less physical power and more brains. Both great at pushing the defense up, monsters for pressing football. And he plays Lovren who is everything these are not. He sits at the ball all the time and we can't do that more often.

Gvardiol is IMO one of the best CBs in the world. And he's 20. His potential is to be a legend in the making. Never seen something like him in Croatian football.

Edited by kpain16

Croatia dominating the centre of the field and as the game went on more and more so out wide as well. Well deserved lead and Canada need to change something. David and Larin have not done enough up front and I think they probably have to sacrifice one of them for a midfielder to try and combat Croatia's star midfield trio. 

9 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Idk what was Canada's coach plan with Hutchinson chasing Kovačić around, how was that supposed to work?

Canada need to get a grip of Croatia midfielder Mateo Kovacic, the Chelsea player is totally bossing the game in the middle of the park.

The ex-Real Madrid man has a 100% accuracy from 30 passes, made more tackles (4), won more possession (7) and duels (5) than any other player on the pitch.

He has created two chances as well, which is also a match high.

Working so far isn't it :lol:

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Fair play to Canada. They aren't that good and if they going home with nil points then at least they've given it a go. I look forward to seeing them again at next WC

with players like Davies and David for example they do have talents

hope they can build further on that

10 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Fair play to Canada. They aren't that good and if they going home with nil points then at least they've given it a go. I look forward to seeing them again at next WC

I more and more think that the first game was more an indication of how poor Belgium are, than how strong Canada are.

But this team definitely has potential, and this tournament should be more seen as learing for the next one. And at home soil in 2026, they can end up having a really good tournament :thup: