The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

Regarding the lack of development of technical attributes that is just the price we pay when playing a Beta version of the game in my opinion. Great that it got figured out early, and completing this challenge is not down to 1-3 seasons of slow development in the lower leagues.  

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, thomas_e said:

Regarding the lack of development of technical attributes that is just the price we pay when playing a Beta version of the game in my opinion. Great that it got figured out early, and completing this challenge is not down to 1-3 seasons of slow development in the lower leagues.  

Yeah, exactly my thoughts as well. The beta is for bugs, if things work great then that's really a positive surprise. And I don't think it's that much of an issue the early years of this challenge either.

1 hour ago, thomas_e said:

Really impressive first season @fries, in every aspect! 

Thanks! South Shields has it advantages with a very good squad, good facilities, and a full time professional setup.

However, the season was actually quite stressful. The good squad entails high expectations, and I was very close to getting fired 4 times. I could really feel my seat getting hotter, but I liked how the board invited me to discuss the future instead of just firing me straight away.

The real problems, however, will begin from season 3. After season 2 I will very likely only have two defenders back in the squad, my two fullbacks. So far I have had no useful defenders from the youth intake.

19 minutes ago, fries said:

Thanks! South Shields has it advantages with a very good squad, good facilities, and a full time professional setup.

However, the season was actually quite stressful. The good squad entails high expectations, and I was very close to getting fired 4 times. I could really feel my seat getting hotter, but I liked how the board invited me to discuss the future instead of just firing me straight away.

The real problems, however, will begin from season 3. After season 2 I will very likely only have two defenders back in the squad, my two fullbacks. So far I have had no useful defenders from the youth intake.

I know the feeling. I completed the challenge with South Shields back on FM20 and even though there are some advantages in the beginning the usual problems come around after a few seasons just as with every other team. 

Looking forward to seeing how you do in the second season! My bet is on back-to-back promotions! 

4 hours ago, glennuk said:

Has anyone noticed any weird Youth Player progression yet? Been seeing some tweets from popular youtubers and generic FM accounts saying it is really messed up. Just wondering if anyone has noticed and if that has put them off this challenge for the time being?

The tweets and stuff I have seen is very generic with little to no actual evidence, so came to the place I thought would have the most knowledge :)

i posted in my last season update how my players are faring if you want a 1 season look. TL;DR - yes, technical skill isn't improving that much. Elite prospects getting 1st team play are still improving substantially including technicals, but everyone else seems to be losing technical ability. I'm not sure though how different this is from last year, and remember I'm still part-time in VNN so spotty development is expected. Additionally, I feel like my older players are degrading more quickly especially physicals but that might just be me being frustrated with my strikers losing 2-3 pace, agility & acceleration in just 2 seasons.

307724765_Screenshot2021-10-29231929.png.5aa47adc8f3c1e73ea12a615720b9add.png

Bit gutted but i am not getting any games for my U19 side ( my only reserve side) i have reported it but reluctant to keep on at the moment until this is fixed. So i will have to pick another counrty and start again i think.

Is there a list of (available) countries that have not been completed yet at all?

1 minute ago, OlivierL said:

Big Phil at Berchem ! nice 

He was the best one I could find and a Model Citizen, so very happy with him.

0nE4BDC.png

52 minutes ago, CardiffDragon said:

307724765_Screenshot2021-10-29231929.png.5aa47adc8f3c1e73ea12a615720b9add.png

Bit gutted but i am not getting any games for my U19 side ( my only reserve side) i have reported it but reluctant to keep on at the moment until this is fixed. So i will have to pick another counrty and start again i think.

Is there a list of (available) countries that have not been completed yet at all?

List here for you.  Note, this only goes back so far.  Some leagues were completed prior, but that is some time ago now ;)

1 hour ago, CardiffDragon said:

I made this overview of Europe the other day. The white countries are not completed yet.

YYF4HlZ.jpg

Edited by Winski

Just now, Winski said:

I made this overview of Europe the other day. The white countries are not completed yet.

YYF4HlZ.jpg

I might go for Denmark this year, as I hope they have fixed the "poaching players under contract"-bug! Excellent map though!

1 minute ago, OlivierL said:

Maybe an option to add the map and my post about nations not completed in one of the openingspost (as a spoiler) ? yesterday i couldn't find my own post :)

@darren1983

16 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yes, thank you, I saw the great posts by @OlivierLwhen I was on the train going to football on Sunday but then Brentford being rubbish plus loads of train delays meant I'd forgot about it all by time I got home :D 

Will add them now and if Olivier wants to keep track and update it at any point I'll add the updated ones as well. 

Edited by darren1983

14 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Any "fallen giants" that are available this year does any one know? Like a few years back in Italy there was Parma and more recently Bari and Palermo, any former league winners from elsewhere that have fallen on hard times or something? 

Liverno and Catania are in Serie D / Italy

Got to admit I’m not feeling England, maybe it’s just the sheer number of games and leagues to get up or just the fact I wanted to sort out the real world mess with Rangers (my team) as I have that save going just now.

Also, struggling to find enough time to really get stuck into a save.

I shall return with a new save once I can find one that will stick.

I wanted to start a game in Mexico and ended up taking over a team that had so many players arriving at the beginning of the transfer season.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I might just go back to a month before and see if a different team will get promoted. The club is Tecos.

6 hours ago, Ralph96 said:

I've been reading along for the last few years and now decided that it is finally time to try start it myself. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve my type of season summary.

Welcome! A suggestion from me is to change the in-game language to English when you take screenshots. It makes it easier to follow for people like me who only speak a little German.

vor 55 Minuten schrieb fries:

Welcome! A suggestion from me is to change the in-game language to English when you take screenshots. It makes it easier to follow for people like me who only speak a little German.

Thx is appreciated will do from now on

4 hours ago, hubwub said:

Mexico Reset Date is June 10. To get different teams to be promoted, May 22.

Finally got a team to play that had no transfers, bless!

Maybe there have been changes I dont know about, but I dont think it's possible to get promoted to the top division in Mexico for quite a few years? Maybe even 5-6 years, as relegation from the top flight got suspended a couple of years ago. 

Just double check so you know a promotion is possible! 

19 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Yes, thank you, I saw the great posts by @OlivierLwhen I was on the train going to football on Sunday but then Brentford being rubbish plus loads of train delays meant I'd forgot about it all by time I got home :D 

Will add them now and if Olivier wants to keep track and update it at any point I'll add the updated ones as well. 

A fellow bees fan?