The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Planning on going Dorados de Sinaloa…why? I have a sinking feeling you’re going to tell me something is wrong with that idea….

I think it's a great idea. They have a good squad in the game.

@schnauzer  The HOYD has a great personality. However, does the tactical formation and style match your preferences?

Edited by hubwub

A very nice start @BigJack

I can sympathize with your defensive situation....  I'll put up my starting post tonight when home from work, but my new squad totals 18 and I only have 4 defenders.  Thankfully they cover the flat back four spots, and when all are available we are decent.  When an injury or suspension hits though..... oof :D

Fallon 24a looks like a quality addition and should progress nicely with the enforced role he has walked into!

11 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

A very nice start @BigJack

I can sympathize with your defensive situation....  I'll put up my starting post tonight when home from work, but my new squad totals 18 and I only have 4 defenders.  Thankfully they cover the flat back four spots, and when all are available we are decent.  When an injury or suspension hits though..... oof :D

Fallon 24a looks like a quality addition and should progress nicely with the enforced role he has walked into!

Cheers!

Yeah its tough going but luckily some of my midfielders filled in and did a decent enough job there.

Yeah im happy with it for a first season. We performed quite well against the bigger clubs but really struggled with fitness having so few options. Expecting more of the same for the next couple seasons at least until we can get some depth. 

2 hours ago, schnauzer said:

Question for the forum: Would this guy make a good HOYD? His determination is great, and with another coaching badge or two should look quite good right?

image.thumb.png.3fe0af86a2025cb612ba602a2749be55.png

I look for high professionalism myself, which Determined doesn't have. If you check his media handling that can help you know what he has outside determination.

This post is old (and a little complex) but has been helpful to me to get an understanding of the ranges of the vast majority of the personality ratings. 

8 minutes ago, Sn00gle said:

For those who are considering playing in Poland and like a lot of RP and lore, I have prepared a list of several teams that can advance and you can go on! :)

Motor Lublin - A club with a millionaire mr. Jakubas, who is really pumping a lot of cash into the club's development. The money has allowed them to bring in some good players who can confidently compete higher. Start IRL hopeless red lantern, which recently emerged from the relegation zone thanks to a new coach.

Polonia Warszawa - With a French millionaire leading them after they went bankrupt and were relegated to the depths of Polish football. Being at the bottom, they have invested heavily in the academy which has been very successful and bigger clubs are stealing heavily from them. Currently 2nd place in the 2nd division. It's worth adding that they are a direct rival of Legia Warsaw so by playing them you have potentially one of the biggest derby's in the country. 2nd league newcomer.

KKS 1925 Kalisz - A very nicely developing football project that puts a premium on balance in the club. They recruit nicely especially the coaching staff (basically openly which is rather unheard of in Poland). They try to catch local outstanding young players.

Znicz Pruszków - I mention it only because this is where Robert Lewandowski started his adventure as a professional footballer. A club from near the capital of Warsaw. Thanks to this it has a good chance of generating good newgens from all the teams that can advance in Poland. 

Kotwica Kołobrzeg - The current revelation of 2-league games in Poland. They broke this year's record of consecutive wins and matches without defeat which puts them in the position of league leader. It's worth mentioning that they are also this year's newcomer. Despite this, they are not from the poorer clubs and are said to have large financial resources. I would say that they are such a club made of unwanted players who, properly guided, fired up. It has good training facilities.

Radunia Stężyca - If memory serves me correctly this is the club with the best training facilities available in the previous FM. This gives you a big advantage and ease in this challenge :)

Siarka Tarnobrzeg - A club worth mentioning. It is a very big pioneer of scouting development in Poland when it was still in the lower league. They put a lot just on its development which results in the sale of young players higher up and on a regular basis. It is worth noting that Mr. Dryś is the youngest head of scouting in Poland who is 18 years old... soo why not :)

I was looking at Motor when looking over at Poland while going over all 40 nations I could start the challenge in, so this is just another reason for me to look at them.

2 hours ago, hubwub said:

I think it's a great idea. They have a good squad in the game.

@schnauzer  The HOYD has a great personality. However, does the tactical formation and style match your preferences?

We play a high-pressing game so whilst the formation isn't quite an exact match it should hopefully fit what we need for now!

18 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

I look for high professionalism myself, which Determined doesn't have. If you check his media handling that can help you know what he has outside determination.

This post is old (and a little complex) but has been helpful to me to get an understanding of the ranges of the vast majority of the personality ratings. 

Thanks for finding this, this is really useful! Interestingly I actually have a goalkeeper coach with a Model Citizen personality (see below). Do you think that he would be a better choice for the HOYD position despite the low judging ability and potential attributes? His media handling is "reserved"

image.thumb.png.b46680b5a816d06f52ae5b3b029c4deb.png

Edited by schnauzer

I've never used someone with that low of a 'preferred role' so am not sure how negatively that will impact how they find players. At least he kind of wants to be HOYD, and maybe over time he will grow into the roll? Others would have to chip in on that.

You can always set him as the person to find your players in the staff advice/reports, but my guess will be you will see good personalities for the first couple years as his attributes generate on the players already at the club but he might have trouble bringing in the same quality of players in future years. 

This is what I chose from the limited offerings in lower England:

image.png.6caf24500596186964682b9719991de0.png

image.png.f5970a9e417e29a8bf857734943c5c68.png

So he has: Pro 18-19, Tem 10-14, Pre 15-20, Con 15-20, and Spo 8-20. The 19 WwY is important (imo) he sucks at judging and has the bare minimum determination I'd take for a HOYD. Luckily he's one who is up for coaching badges so he has increased his reputation a little and some of his attributes. Doubt I'll get the JPA & JPP up much though.

I keep forgetting who found this statistical analysis last year, but if you want a long read into factors into player development it is by far the best I've seen for the game. TL;DR - Max Professionalism with at least 10 Determination and 10 Ambition will result in the most reliable player development. So if you find a good Fairly Professional coach who also has Reserved, he's still pretty good as you know he will have at least 15 professionalism, just doesn't have the determination to make it to Resolute.

10 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

I've never used someone with that low of a 'preferred role' so am not sure how negatively that will impact how they find players. At least he kind of wants to be HOYD, and maybe over time he will grow into the roll? Others would have to chip in on that.

You can always set him as the person to find your players in the staff advice/reports, but my guess will be you will see good personalities for the first couple years as his attributes generate on the players already at the club but he might have trouble bringing in the same quality of players in future years. 

This is what I chose from the limited offerings in lower England:

image.png.6caf24500596186964682b9719991de0.png

image.png.f5970a9e417e29a8bf857734943c5c68.png

So he has: Pro 18-19, Tem 10-14, Pre 15-20, Con 15-20, and Spo 8-20. The 19 WwY is important (imo) he sucks at judging and has the bare minimum determination I'd take for a HOYD. Luckily he's one who is up for coaching badges so he has increased his reputation a little and some of his attributes. Doubt I'll get the JPA & JPP up much though.

I keep forgetting who found this statistical analysis last year, but if you want a long read into factors into player development it is by far the best I've seen for the game. TL;DR - Max Professionalism with at least 10 Determination and 10 Ambition will result in the most reliable player development. So if you find a good Fairly Professional coach who also has Reserved, he's still pretty good as you know he will have at least 15 professionalism, just doesn't have the determination to make it to Resolute.

nice post ! i'm going to use my coach as a hoyd. i have a hoyd for two more years but this coach is much better (resolute - YPA YPP and reputation is higher); The reputation of your Hoyd is very important.

I like this discussion about personalities.

However, as of late as in from FM22, I'm not sure the floated around values for personalities is up-to-date. I haven't gotten the in-game editor to check if the values are correct.

I really want to make an updated guide.

1 hour ago, Sn00gle said:

For those who are considering playing in Poland and like a lot of RP and lore, I have prepared a list of several teams that can advance and you can go on! :)

Motor Lublin - A club with a millionaire mr. Jakubas, who is really pumping a lot of cash into the club's development. The money has allowed them to bring in some good players who can confidently compete higher. Start IRL hopeless red lantern, which recently emerged from the relegation zone thanks to a new coach.

Polonia Warszawa - With a French millionaire leading them after they went bankrupt and were relegated to the depths of Polish football. Being at the bottom, they have invested heavily in the academy which has been very successful and bigger clubs are stealing heavily from them. Currently 2nd place in the 2nd division. It's worth adding that they are a direct rival of Legia Warsaw so by playing them you have potentially one of the biggest derby's in the country. 2nd league newcomer.

KKS 1925 Kalisz - A very nicely developing football project that puts a premium on balance in the club. They recruit nicely especially the coaching staff (basically openly which is rather unheard of in Poland). They try to catch local outstanding young players.

Znicz Pruszków - I mention it only because this is where Robert Lewandowski started his adventure as a professional footballer. A club from near the capital of Warsaw. Thanks to this it has a good chance of generating good newgens from all the teams that can advance in Poland. 

Kotwica Kołobrzeg - The current revelation of 2-league games in Poland. They broke this year's record of consecutive wins and matches without defeat which puts them in the position of league leader. It's worth mentioning that they are also this year's newcomer. Despite this, they are not from the poorer clubs and are said to have large financial resources. I would say that they are such a club made of unwanted players who, properly guided, fired up. It has good training facilities.

Radunia Stężyca - If memory serves me correctly this is the club with the best training facilities available in the previous FM. This gives you a big advantage and ease in this challenge :)

Siarka Tarnobrzeg - A club worth mentioning. It is a very big pioneer of scouting development in Poland when it was still in the lower league. They put a lot just on its development which results in the sale of young players higher up and on a regular basis. It is worth noting that Mr. Dryś is the youngest head of scouting in Poland who is 18 years old... soo why not :)

Gonna do Polonia Warsaw run for thirs year in a row once the beta is over :)

8 minutes ago, Ralph96 said:

Is it allowed to use other faces on your youth players as the ones from the game still look awful?

recommended even :)  you can see the ID and add faces of computer generated faces that look real for extra immersion.

@hubwub I agree the values are probably not perfectly accurate anymore but they serve as a good general guide of which MH & Personalities are good vs bad, which is all I really care about when picking staff. The point where it becomes important is deciding on Mentors later in the saves. But I'm still 4-5 seasons before that even will be on the radar.

@OlivierL Nice! Resolute is always my goal, but at least I got high professionalism. If I were you and were going to let the guy go anyways, I'd just pay the fee to sack him and move the coach into HOYD (if that was your plan). Since the HOYD is such a long-term effect on the club I want to minimize the time I'm fiddling with it. Like my guy will stay HOYD for at least 10 seasons before I even consider upgrading, but I could see him lasting much longer due to the drop off when bedding in a new HOYD.

@schnauzer glad it helps. Jury is still out on my HOYD as this year will be the first intake full of just his players, but still have half a season of VNN to pound through to find it. At least we are on an epic start! Yet another season for me to lose...

image.png.5f5c28713d7a45c727d7c9511018265d.png

2 hours ago, Ralph96 said:

Is it allowed to use other faces on your youth players as the ones from the game still look awful?

I can recommend the Newgan manager, great tool to generate regen faces and to implement them

34 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

image.jpeg.1cc595d8176772a1cf2fa9d69297bc11.jpeg

Argentine Second Division

Season 2023/24

Season 1

image.jpeg.09cb628b585c40c64ac981e692cfbc74.jpeg

581619136_fixtures1new.jpg.dbc7af22351d8aed807eabb47b441c40.jpg

A rather decent start to the season going unbeaten in the league for the first 11 games before losing three in a row and four from the next six before we stabilised things after the freak 1-6 home defeat to Chaco For Ever. The draw after that game saw us go on a bit of a mad run registering 14 wins from the last 20 league games drawing four and losing just two. A remarkable run that saw us take second place on the final matchday after a resounding 4-2 away win at league champions Boca Juniors. A game we completely dominated from start to finish. Our best result and performance of the season easily. 

1342566847_leaguetable.thumb.jpg.b30946e528cec24ae070a5d7d9da8ff1.jpg

So into the play offs we went. There's a first round, second round, semi final stage which is two legs and then the final. Because we finished second in the league we enter the POs at the semi final point. 

POs.jpg.a93992bd708ed09be6079dcaf6704a14.jpg

A late winner from Estudiantes in the first leg saw them take a slender lead into the return leg but I wasn't overly concerned as I was confident we had it in us to turn it around. I called us going there and bagging three and we did just that, storming into a three goal lead before they pulled one back late on. 

The final, against Belgrano, the team that finished one place and three points behind us in the league was a tight game. We controlled the first half and should've taken a one goal lead into the break. Second half they were clearly the better side and we struggled. Two late goals saw us lose the final sadly. 

So yeah, second place! A fantastic season but slightly disappointed in the end to be so close to winning the league and then losing in the play off final to two late goals from Belgrano. 

A fantastic season from my striker Luis Vila with 25 goals in 30 matches. He didn't even start the campaign as first choice either! Lack of goals from the first choice striker and one of the other backups meant a chance opened up for Vila who took it with both hands and never looked back. Without his goals we'd have been much worse off and would've finished a good 10 places or so down the league. Not to say the other guys didn't have good seasons, clearly they did but this guy was immense. 

vila.thumb.jpg.1c17051740672a40510320e95412b6a6.jpg

vilar.thumb.jpg.6b0d35081c051fe1138cccd438bc337c.jpg

15 clean sheets from 41 games in all competitions for my sweeper keeper, even registering two assists in the last two league games. Managed to tie him down to a new multi year contract mid way through the season. Pulled off some fantastic saves, a real star of the side. 

Both Vila and Vilar finished in the team of the year for the league. 

Youth Intake

1025357764_youthintake1.jpg.7ff915ddf23ffdb5f8a55e372750b996.jpg

image.jpeg.42d7c16e51aa6f1ae7c8670a69e89ab5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10061f5d9fd4404c70875fbd49a288c2.jpeg

Currently being trained to play LW. Two footed player so he's versatile to play either wing which is a bonus. Producing in the youth side already with 15 goals from 24 games. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4e53e60ac7e23c15cff531ee3c37f74d.jpeg

Some really nice early development improvements from this guy. Love his team work, work rate and determination in particular. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b51e949594a0d1c60b58cad729d42386.jpeg

Why was Boca Juniors in the second divison?

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I believe it was due to the average points over three seasons in play in the Argentine top flight. 19th place Lanus also went down first season. Boca finished 5th. 

Average points relegation is in other leagues. Interesting.

1 hour ago, schnauzer said:

image.thumb.png.bf386bcf76bccbf2d0df1c90bc0d0113.png

Just spotted this player who has come through another side in my division (6th tier England). That's got to be a future multi-million pound player, surely? Jammy St. Albans! :D

Oh man, that would be a dream puzzle piece to get!  Some work on his tackling and you have your future midfield rock and captain all taken care of!

2 hours ago, WhiteCat33 said:

@OlivierL Nice! Resolute is always my goal, but at least I got high professionalism. If I were you and were going to let the guy go anyways, I'd just pay the fee to sack him and move the coach into HOYD (if that was your plan). Since the HOYD is such a long-term effect on the club I want to minimize the time I'm fiddling with it. Like my guy will stay HOYD for at least 10 seasons before I even consider upgrading, but I could see him lasting much longer due to the drop off when bedding in a new HOYD.

I sacked my Hoyd/assistent manager to make room for a better one. The one i wanted to sign wasn't interested in the Hoyd position, he signed as a coach but will get the task of a hoyd.

His Reputation could have been higher but resolute - 17 Det, good JPA JPP for this level and same formation. Park the bus is not my style but .. he is the best option i could find at the moment.

4ee07fab56e0b902d90c2f45c3af352e.png

Edited by OlivierL

7 hours ago, Sn00gle said:

Ah man this is brilliant, thank you. Only trouble is it's got me thinking of restarting in Poland for somewhere new. This is kind of thing I was thinking about the other day when I was wondering about clubs to manage. Polonia sounds like a lot of fun. Tempting despite me actually enjoying my start at FC United. 

So I may have made a list of 40 clubs from all of the 40 playable leagues for ideas of who I want to manage for the challenge this year. I probably put too much research into it for this season.

All images

Season 3 - VNN - Chesham United

SACKED!!!!

funny thing it started off being the most promising season yet until an almighty crumble and 15 game winless streak. The other funny point is that i spent more time in the play off spots then i did in the relegation spots haha

460728402_2022-10-28(5).png.c0358a7db7d59103f1de73c699aa2158.png

301934516_2022-10-28(6).png.acd4a59dada2ad269a413bbb8125e7e5.png

Lucky I wasnt the first to get sacked on FM for this challenge, thanks @libbyshuss but I guess he was sacked in his 4th season so that puts me ahead of the list :seagull:

Just now, SkiIIs said:

All images

SACKED!!!!

funny thing it started off being the most promising season yet until an almighty crumble and 15 game winless streak. The other funny point is that i spent more time in the play off spots then i did in the relegation spots haha

Lucky I wasnt the first to get sacked on FM for this challenge, thanks @libbyshuss but I guess he was sacked in his 4th season so that puts me ahead of the list :seagull:

Sounds like we need a hall of shame too. I once managed to get sacked after half a season in Norway, so I might have top spot!

I think we have a problem. Our wage bill is reduced by the board with 5k and we are now 9k above our budget. Due to this I can only give me youngsters from our first intake a new contract of €130 max. Problem is that they are now on €500 a week. Of course they don't want to sign a new contract. I hope that I can sign the new bunch of youngsters when they come through at the end of the season, but it seems that this challenge can end very soon. After 2.5 seasons I'm almost €6M in debt. :(

1 hour ago, SkiIIs said:

All images

SACKED!!!!

Very unlucky. Will you start again in ENgland or will you try another league/challenge?

24 minutes ago, Bartrcm said:

I think we have a problem. Our wage bill is reduced by the board with 5k and we are now 9k above our budget. Due to this I can only give me youngsters from our first intake a new contract of €130 max. Problem is that they are now on €500 a week. Of course they don't want to sign a new contract. I hope that I can sign the new bunch of youngsters when they come through at the end of the season, but it seems that this challenge can end very soon. After 2.5 seasons I'm almost €6M in debt. :(

That is crazy! Takes the fun out of it

34 minutes ago, Bartrcm said:

For me, Belgium is unplayable at the moment. It"s a pity because a lot of youngsters are developping very good.

Yeah that is unplayable. I was considering a game in Belgium but after seeing this i went for a Spain save. 

1 hour ago, Bartrcm said:

They are looking at this financial problem in Belgium but I hope they will fix it for tis fm.

10 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

retirements.PNG.956fe21c3b78272fd9dd68a801909f01.PNG

When 2 of your most important players both decide to email you at midnight to say they are retiring...

Pep Guardiola We Cannot Replace Him GIF - Pep Guardiola We Cannot ...   X 2

I know the feeling, similar thing happened to two of my star players at the end of my first season, both left on frees. :(