Germany squad is out #DieMannschaft

Rob1981

Ter Stegen announced he was having knee surgery a couple of days ago. But sounded like it was elective rather than an injury as such. Maybe opting to get it done and recuperate over the summer if he wasn’t expecting to start.

Can’t really understand that attitude tbh, all it needs is Neuer going off injured in the opener and suddenly he’s got a shot at taking the team all the way.

Don't know what problem Muller solves tbh. His record for Germany is amazing, and he's been good the last couple of years but you can only play him as a No.10, so you're adding a slow player to a team that's already a bit one-paced.

Don't even know if Germany play with a No.10. A lot of the time I've seen them they've had three in midfield.

I assume he'll be an option off the bench to chase a game.

28 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Ter Stegen announced he was having knee surgery a couple of days ago. But sounded like it was elective rather than an injury as such. Maybe opting to get it done and recuperate over the summer if he wasn’t expecting to start.

Can’t really understand that attitude tbh, all it needs is Neuer going off injured in the opener and suddenly he’s got a shot at taking the team all the way.

Depends how bad it is I guess. 

Umtiti ignored knee surgery to play in the World Cup and now his career is in tatters. Not sure he'd necessarily swap it since he won the World Cup, but still it's hardly an easy choice.

Tbf the nonsense draw means if they finish third they can play winner of Holland's group, or the winner of Belgium's group. I think they'll lose to Belgium, but Holland might not even finish top of theirs the way they're playing in some matches.

You have to respect Germany because of their history. They could send out a Bundesliga 2 side and they'll still find a way to be competitive. But I don't think they're that good, yet they could easily have a route to the semis of:

Holland/Ukraine (last 16) > Denmark/Finland/Russia/Turkey/Switzerland (QF)

56 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Depends how bad it is I guess. 

Umtiti ignored knee surgery to play in the World Cup and now his career is in tatters. Not sure he'd necessarily swap it since he won the World Cup, but still it's hardly an easy choice.

Just wiki'd Umtiti and he's only played 39 league games in the last three seasons and not played for France since 2019. 

Very light up top but that's just because don't have that classic no.9 striker.  Although Volland might be that guy, glad he got a call up, he's been doing well for Monaco.

Its a shame for Wirtz but understandable, still very young but so many players in his position.

Hofmann and Ginter should not be in the squad but Löw loves them two.

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

Musiala instead of Wirtz is the joke here

I think it's because he plays for Bayern, and I mean that in a rational way. If you only take one of two talented youngsters, he's more likely to gel with the rest of the team because there are seven more Bayern players in the squad. Probably a rather minor advantage, but that could be part of the reason.

4 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

Throwing Midfielders/Attackers together like that seems very unGerman 

They started doing that years ago, probably because we have so few players that are typical strikers. It's hard to categorize players like Müller, Havertz, Sané, or Gnabry, and people would always argue whether they should appear in the midfield or attack column. I think the only classical striker in the squad is Volland, then maybe add Werner who is mostly utilized as a forward, and that makes for a lonely category.

1 hour ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I think it's because he plays for Bayern, and I mean that in a rational way. If you only take one of two talented youngsters, he's more likely to gel with the rest of the team because there are seven more Bayern players in the squad. Probably a rather minor advantage, but that could be part of the reason.

I see your point... i was just thinking that Wirtz would have deserved it more as he was carrying a way weaker side at times while Musiala was more an impact sub of a well oiled win machine and would probably find it tough to excell in a struggling team the way he did at bayern. But oh well i like it that Gunther is included, well deserved and nice lad too :)

25 minutes ago, Carambau said:

I see your point... i was just thinking that Wirtz would have deserved it more as he was carrying a way weaker side at times while Musiala was more an impact sub of a well oiled win machine and would probably find it tough to excell in a struggling team the way he did at bayern. But oh well i like it that Gunther is included, well deserved and nice lad too :)

I don't disagree about him deserving it more, but the role either of them would play in the national side is exactly that: an impact sub. I can see Musiala potentially filling that role better than Wirtz. The Günther call-up is a bit more surprising in that there are already two other left full/wing backs in the squad with Halstenberg and Gosens. I think he's fantastic and we definitely need some pace in the back, but I'm not sure what Löw's plan is with Halstenberg and Gosens. They're not particularly known for their positional flexibility. Halstenberg can play center back so maybe that's the position Löw sees him in, but Gosens and Günther are pretty similar.

Edited by The Amazing Dale Watkins

6 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Low has seen sense then and brought Muller and Hummels back into the fold.

It's not so much that he's seen sense but that he's stepping down. They've always been logical choices if you go by ability, and they're both in great form. What has changed is that Löw no longer cares about the long-term strategy but wants to have the best chance of success in this tournament.

52 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

It's not so much that he's seen sense but that he's stepping down. They've always been logical choices if you go by ability, and they're both in great form. What has changed is that Löw no longer cares about the long-term strategy but wants to have the best chance of success in this tournament.

Yeah, fair point, wonder if there's been any pressure from the DFB on him to pick them in the final squad? 

I'm sure they can all get along for the sake of the NT for a few weeks so I wouldn't envisage any problems. 

10 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Tbf the nonsense draw means if they finish third they can play winner of Holland's group, or the winner of Belgium's group. I think they'll lose to Belgium, but Holland might not even finish top of theirs the way they're playing in some matches.

You have to respect Germany because of their history. They could send out a Bundesliga 2 side and they'll still find a way to be competitive. But I don't think they're that good, yet they could easily have a route to the semis of:

Holland/Ukraine (last 16) > Denmark/Finland/Russia/Turkey/Switzerland (QF)

I don't consider them favorites, but their central midfield is among the best in the tournament. Kroos and Kimmich are world-class, and the likes of Gündogan, Can, Goretzka and Havertz aren't far behind. The defense is the Achilles heel.

Marco Reus voluntarily asked to be left out of the squad to have time to recover. It's a shame because he was in good form recently and has also shown that he can perform in a big match when he was the best player on the pitch for the German Cup final. He has now missed more big tournaments than he participated in due to injuries - the most tragic being World Cup 2014.

13 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

...the likes of Gündogan, Can, Goretzka and Havertz aren't far behind...

The idea of Emre Can being close to world class is sending me l0l, every time I've seen him play for Germany he's looked an absolute liability, this may be because Löw can't help playing him in defence for god knows what reason, but I'm not even sure he offers that much going forward these days either!

3 hours ago, Hazzaj said:

The idea of Emre Can being close to world class is sending me l0l, every time I've seen him play for Germany he's looked an absolute liability, this may be because Löw can't help playing him in defence for god knows what reason, but I'm not even sure he offers that much going forward these days either!

He is world class at giving away penalties for handball though

Fair enough, listing Can in there is a bit of a stretch :D Doesn't change that the midfield is very strong. Add Sané and Gnabry who can play on the wings and that's a brilliant midfield. We can even afford to leave out Draxler and Brandt.

The problem this team has is the defense and the lack of a real striker to be able to play more variable (and let's face it, Volland would never be called up for any of the other top teams). Bringing Hummels back isn't without risk either. I would hate to play a back four with him being one of the center backs due to his lack of pace. He's really mostly valuable as the middle of three center backs, but Löw likes to play a back four.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that went about as expected. Not a terrible performance, but also not really ever close to scoring. Werner and Volland were a complete joke - I don't think either one had a single good moment. Not sure why you'd bring Werner against a deep defending French team in the first place, but I guess he had to try something. Game against Portugal won't be much easier as they'll be happy to sit back and defend also.

On 19/06/2021 at 08:06, Freakiie said:

Is he seriously playing the exact same team as against France...

something something definition of insanity something

But then again, at this point it'd be insanity from my end to expect that Löw would ever see the light.

I think the game proved him right that it's not really about the formation.

Curious if he's gonna try it a third time against Hungary.

Not going to lie that was unexpectedly good but a decent manager would have done something about Gosens early on so not sure how the absolute brain dead decision to just ignore him flattered the result.

Looking forward to seeing what we do vs Hungary.

6 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I think the game proved him right that it's not really about the formation.

Curious if he's gonna try it a third time against Hungary.

He's been playing this "3-4-3" that's more of a 2-4-4-0 the entire year, of course he will play it again.

Admittedly, with the way Havertz was instructed to play against Portugal, at least he seems to have understood that having someone that acts like a striker is useful to have around. Only took him... when did Klose retire? 2014? So 7 years, amazing.

51 minutes ago, Goldy said:

Müller likely out for next game and possibly longer!

Damn shame that, he was showing exactly why he should never have been excluded.

His organizational abilities are second to none as well as the rest if his game. It's a big miss.