• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday 22nd June 2030

Algeria 1-3 England

World Cup Group E (3)

Algeria_1-3_England_post1.png.641229daaa9cbd5dc4f1a2b5b44bf57c.png

Algeria_1-3_England_post_Abdelkader_Benabdellah.png.4a9f55da677d0301e357fbc418e73ea5.png

Algeria_1-3_England_post_Stuniverse.png.106f18a529393819e5acaa5901c199cf.png

Wembley Way: The first-half didn't go your way, but you turned it around after the break. What did you make of the match? 

Stuniverse: I thought Algeria were tough opponents and their goalkeeper, Luca Zidane, produced some stunning saves to keep us out in the first-half. We felt aggrieved at the award of the penalty. Yes, Barrie Potts-Jacobs slid in, but he won the ball cleanly and their striker then tripped over his leg. It wasn't a penalty, in my opinion, and the referee didn't show a yellow card which suggests to me that he had some doubts too.

We created more chances than them in the first-half and we felt that if we kept going in the second-half, remained patient, then we had the quality to score the goals we needed to win the game. Fortunately, Eddie Nketiah, Tom Staley and a stunning free-kick from Marcus Rashford did just that.

Wembley Way: Algeria had more possession than you. Was that a worry?

Stuniverse: Yes, at times we did find it difficult to win the ball back and that's something we're going to have to work on. The thing with possession though is it's not how much possession you have, it's what you do with it that counts. The only stat that really counts in football is who scores the most goals. Overall, although Algeria made life difficult for us at times, I felt we were in control of the game, created more chances, and ultimately scored more goals than them, although we did have to be patient and not panic.

Wembley Way: Ecuador play Ghana later for the prize of playing England. Do you have a preference who you play?

Stuniverse: It doesn't matter because we can't influence the game. Every Nation that reaches the second round has done well to get there and deserves respect. We know about Ecuador and we know about Ghana. Once we know who we're playing, we'll prepare thoroughly as we always do.

Algeria_1-3_England_post2.png

Algeria_1-3_England_post3.png

Algeria_1-3_England_post4.png

Algeria_1-3_England_post5.png

Algeria_1-3_England_post6.png

Algeria_1-3_England_post7.png

Edited by Stuniverse

2 hours ago, Bitner said:

Good Luck, the KO stage of a WC is really hard to take.

Cheers,
Bitner

Thank you, @Bitner. I agree. No chance to recover now, one bad day at the office, or a bad piece of luck, and you’re on the plane home. With 32 Nations going into the knockout stage that’s what - last 32, last 16, QF, SF, Final - that’s five more games to win the whole thing.

Wednesday 26th June 2030

PREVIEW: Ecuador v England

Ecuador_v_England_preview.thumb.png.ad3b238240be9c7d18a7742fe0226919.png

Ecuador_v_England_pre_Stuniverse.png.1f84f499ef2c2cc5710201c89f847f83.png

Wembley Way: This is it then. World Cup knockout football. It's exciting for the fans, how is it for you?

Stuniverse: It's also exciting for us. These are the games we dreamed of as kids growing up and, now we're working in professional football and living that dream. For both players and managers it doesn't get any bigger than the World Cup. But we also know we have to be at our best because we are up against the best of the best and that means we face five very difficult games if we are to realise our dream.

Wembley Way: Starting with Ecuador. Are you confident?

Stuniverse: Of course, we're confident. There's no point being here if we don't believe we can win the World Cup. But we have to make sure we're not over-confident. Ecuador are a very good team, they qualified from South America and that's a very difficult tournament to qualify from. It's our job, as a coaching team, to prepare the players thoroughly and then it's over to them. Let's hope we can do what's needed to make the last 16.

Wembley Way: Where you'll meet either Belgium or Romania and you have recent history with Belgium after they beat you in the European Nations third-place match?

Stuniverse: We're not thinking beyond Ecuador right now. Let's worry about the Third Round if and when we get there.

Wembley Way: Any new injury concerns?

Stuniverse: No, thankfully. We came through the Algeria game unscathed and we now have a fully fit squad. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Phil Foden have been given the all-clear to start by our medical team, if selected of course.

Ecuador_v_England_pre1.png

Ecuador_v_England_pre2.png

Ecuador_v_England_pre3.png

Ecuador_v_England_pre4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Wednesday 26th June 2030

Ecuador 1-2 England

Ecuador_1-2_Enland_post1.png.c66c8451d12cbd823d6a63d33a065ba1.png

Ecuador_1-2_Enland_post_Stuniverse.png.2f125d6b52fc68286630371eee288af6.png

Wembley Way: For the second match running you had to come from behind to win. But you did it. England are through to the Third Round. Congratulations.

Stuniverse: Thank you. You have to hand it to Jordan Sierra, that was a world class strike to give Ecuador the lead. At the end of this World Cup, when people are talking about the goals of the tournament, that one will be right up there and may even be the goal of the tournament. I don't think I've seen a better one so far this World Cup.

This squad is an amazing group of footballers though. Heads didn't drop, they didn't panic, they showed a massive amount of togetherness and spirit to keep going at Ecuador and overturn the deficit to win the game. For Karamoko Dembele, probably the smallest player on the pitch, to leap and win the ball in a crowded penalty area, to head Phil Foden's free-kick into the back of the net, for what proved to be the winning goal, shows the character of these England players.

Wembley Way: Is it a concern though that first Algeria, and now Ecuador, took the lead against you?

Stuniverse: Of course, it's something we need to look at. The first goal is often the most important in a football game and, as we progress throughout the World Cup, as we come up against better and better opposition, it's going to become more and more difficult to come from behind and win. It's not something we're going to be able to keep doing. So we have to improve in that area and be the Nation that scores the first goal.

Wembley Way: After the break you had to soak up a lot of pressure from Ecuador. Was that a deliberate ploy to sit back and defend your lead?

Stuniverse: No. That's just the way the game unfolded. Ecuador are a very good side, they were 2-1 down and needed to score otherwise they were going home. They attacked, as you'd expect, and put us under a lot of pressure, but I thought we dealt with it very well. We defended as a team, Angus Gunn produced a couple of fine saves, but we didn't just sit back, we did create some chances of our own second-half.

Wembley Way: Any fresh injury concerns?

Stuniverse: No. All the substitutions were tactical. As far as I'm aware, everybody came through the game with no issues.

Wembley Way: Congratulations again and good luck against either Belgium or Romania.

Stuniverse: Thank you.

Ecuador_1-2_Enland_post2.png

Ecuador_1-2_Enland_post3.png

Ecuador_1-2_Enland_post4.png

Ecuador_1-2_Enland_post5.png

Ecuador_1-2_Enland_post6.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Sunday 30th June 2030

PREVIEW: England v Belgium

Belgium_v_England_preview.thumb.png.d44852b821ffde5f9b856efec3136381.png

Belgium_v_England_preStuniverse.png.aed095bf45a592140f959f84c324dc99.png

Wembley Way: Belgium have won the last two meetings between England and Belgium, including the recent European Nation League Third-place match when you were in charge. A match in which you went 2-0 up before Belgium mounted an incredible comeback to win 3-2. How do you ensure that doesn't happen again?

Stuniverse: I remember that game all too well. We didn't have the greatest of weeks in The European Nations League finals, losing to France in the Semi-Final and then Belgium as you mentioned. We made some subtle changes to the way we played after that, most notably playing out from the back rather than having our goalkeeper play direct. The aim was to retain possession better and, so far, it seems to be working as we've won 11 games out of 11 since then. Of course, Belgium probably represent our toughest challenge since then so we'll see how we go on today. That last game against Belgium is in the past and we're confident of getting a result today.

Wembley Way: Those 11 straight victories ties an England record - a record you'll break with a win against Belgium.

Stuniverse: That's nice to know but, honestly, breaking records is the last thing on our mind today. We're focussing squarely on Belgium and progression to the Quarter-Finals.

Wembley Way: Where France await after they defeated Cameroon in extra-time yesterday.

Stuniverse: We have to progress past Belgium first.

Wembley Way: How's he squad looking?

Stuniverse: Confident. Buzzing. They've looked sharp in training. We have no new injury worries but we may look to freshen things up a bit as we do have a few tired legs after the Ecuador game.

Belgium_v_England_pre3.png

Belgium_v_England_pre4.png

Belgium_v_England_pre5.png

Belgium_v_England_pre6.png

Edited by Stuniverse

17 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

That must have been incredibly nerve-wracking. What a way to win it though!

Thanks, @Tajerio. It certainly was. I probably won’t get to do my post-match until tomorrow, so I’ll save my more detailed comments for the Wembley Way journalist.

Sunday 30th June 2030

England 2-1 Belgium

After extra-time

England_2-1_Belgium_post0.png.9705c7e8c7468236834fcc943cdd03d0.png

England_2-1_Belgium_postStuniverse.png.d594e0fa6a55d80f587c590450ec1250.png

Wembley Way: Congratulations on reaching the Quarter-Final. How are your nerves after that?

Stuniverse: Oh boy, that game had everything, didn't it? It was tense, that's for sure, and it was a very close game, end-to-end at times, with both goalkeepers making fine saves as you'd expect at this level. We spoke after the Algeria and Ecuador games about the importance of getting the first goal and we did that tonight through Marcus Rashford's penalty. To be fair, we thought we should've had the lead earlier when Marcus's effort was ruled out. An incredibly tight VAR decision and, I think, if left to the human eye of the referee and his assistant, that goal stands.

That created a dilemma for us - stick or twist - one I debated on the sidelines with my assistant Steve [Holland] and coach Wayne [Rooney]. We were conscious that in the European Nations Third-place game we'd led Belgium 2-0, only for them to hit us with three goals and we lost 3-2. The longer the game went on, the more we talked about going defensive. But this was a different game, it wasn't as open as that Third-place game had been and, to be fair, Belgium weren't really causing us too many problems, well... apart from that heart-stopping moment when Barrie Potts-Jacobs cleared off the line, but overall we were doing better off-the-ball and in transition than we had in that previous encounter. The temptation was there, but it's not in my nature to shut-up-shop. We felt we were the better team and we wanted to get the second goal and kill off the game. And then they equalised through Burak Yuksel.

So, on into extra-time, Eddie Nketiah rattles the crossbar and, I must admit, you begin to wonder if it's not going to be your night. But this squad of players never cease to amaze me. They stepped up and they got stronger and stronger as extra-time progressed and then we went into added-on time at the end of extra-time. We had the ball, we were attacking, and I said to Steve and Wayne, "This is it. This is our last attack, we score... or it's penalties." Fortunately, Mason Greenwood found himself in space at the far post and, when the opportunity presented itself, he put it away, and we went crazy in the technical area, even Mark [Sertori] our physio got in on the act. I don't want to watch the video back of us celebrating, I bet it's truly embarrassing.

Then we did shut up shop. The referee was going to add on a minimum of thirty seconds for the goal and our celebrations. It was a case of get everybody behind the ball, defend for your lives, defend with everything you've got. They shall not pass. They shall not pass! And then the referee did blow the final whistle.

Wembley Way: First England had David Platt in the World Cup against Belgium in the very last minute of extra-time and tonight we had Mason Greenwood in the World Cup against Belgium in the very last minute of extra-time.

Stuniverse: It's funny how football works out sometimes, isn't it? Strangely enough, we'd spoken about David Platt before the game. We'd used that game as an example to the players of how mentally you have to stay tuned into the game at all times, you can't switch off, because you never know when an opportunity to become a National hero may present itself. It may come in the very first minute, or midway through the first-half, or in the second-half, or it may come in the very last minute of extra-time... but when it does come, we emphasised, you have to be ready and alert and take the opportunity like David Platt did. When the opportunity came tonight, Mason Greenwood was tuned in and alert, and he took his opportunity. I thought we deserved it. Overall, across the full 120 minutes, I thought we deserved it.

Wembley Way: Belgium's manager, Marcel Koller, agrees with you.

Stuniverse: Does he? That's extremely gracious of Marcel and I'd expect nothing less from him. Belgium must be gutted - the World Cup is cruel. After a long-hard tournament, one Nation gets to celebrate lifting the Jules Rimet trophy, every other Nation goes home heart-broken.

England_2-1_Belgium_postMarcel_Koller.png.5c721570e46681a6db404c5c35390400.png

England_2-1_Belgium_postStuniverse2.png.bf1cc392260b20354ff25140e95c7777.png

Wembley Way: France up next in the Quarter-Final after they beat Cameroon 1-0 yesterday.

Stuniverse: Yes, and before you remind me, I know they beat us 2-1 in the European Nations Semi-Final after we took the lead. But we're a different team now, we play in a slightly different way than we did then, and we retain possession better than we did during the European Nations League finals. We lost to Belgium in the Third-place game, after we'd lost the Semi-Final to France, but tonight we got the win against Belgium. I have total faith and confidence in these players and we believe we can get the result against France.

Wembley Way: Will it be a factor that France played last night and will have an extra day's rest?

Stuniverse: I hope not, but there's no point us wasting time worrying about that because it's a fact, France will have an extra 24 hours recovery time than we have. The game isn't until Friday so we do have a decent amount of recovery and preparation time. At least France also went to extra-time.

England_2-1_Belgium_post1.png

England_2-1_Belgium_post2.png

England_2-1_Belgium_post3.png

England_2-1_Belgium_post4.png

England_2-1_Belgium_post5.png

England_2-1_Belgium_post6.png

England_2-1_Belgium_post7.png

Edited by Stuniverse

11 hours ago, Tajerio said:

That must have been incredibly nerve-wracking. What a way to win it though!

Thank you, @Tajerio I saw your kind comment last night but wanted to get the post-match press conference posted first before responding.

Nerve-wracking really does sum it up. I've been playing FM for many years, and CM before that, and I can't remember managing in a game that had such extreme emotions throughout. You know with the World Cup that this is your one chance, lose and you're on the plane and the next World Cup isn't for another four years. We were competitive in the game and it was very open, with chances at both ends, and I genuinely thought we had the better chances but, the longer the game went on, particularly in extra-time, you know there's less time to recover if you fall behind. And, a disallowed goal, hitting the crossbar, sometimes you wonder if the fates have decided it won't be your day.

The biggest decision I had to make was whether to shut up shop or not when we went 1-0 up. If I'd been managing Italy, I wouldn't have hesitated, the Italian team I was managing was easily the best defensive unit I have ever managed in all my years playing FM and CM and I would have backed the Azzurri to defend a 1-0 lead for 20+ minutes, but this England team isn't built to defend, it's built to attack. I couldn't see us defending for 20+ minutes without conceding. As it happened, we conceded any way in the 79th minute. Maybe I should've gone defensive after Potts-Jacobs cleared off the line a few minutes earlier, but I wanted the second goal and thought we were capable of getting it. After the equaliser, I told myself I should've defended but then I snapped out of it, there was a World Cup game to be won!

Extra-time was like two heavyweight boxers slugging it out... Nketiah hit the crossbar for us early, my entire back-four were on yellow cards and 'ease off tackles' which was a worry, but I felt we were the better team and we seemed to get stronger in extra-time, whereas Belgium were less of a threat. But there's always that worry, concede now and it's probably game over, but Belgium didn't score, Greenwood grabbed his David Platt moment in the 122nd minute, and I was punching the air!

20_England_2-1_Belgium.png.2402af2424c8ffd329edee3f84a08936.png

Then, like I said in the post-match, it was very defensive, everybody back, defend for your lives, they shall not pass.

And a great, big "YES!" on the final whistle.

Edited by Stuniverse

Friday 5th July 2030

PREVIEW: France v England

World Cup Quarter-Final

WC_France_v_England_pre0.thumb.png.8899a7e71a314753a8cf3706f7c9bbe6.png

WC_France_v_England_pre_Stuniverse.png.9da268f034b2060bfb84727507d63605.png

Wembley Way: The last time you played France, in the European Nations League Semi-Final, you suffered a 2-1 defeat. Can you find a way to beat France this afternoon?

Stuniverse: That's what we've been working on for the last four days. We feel we've improved collectively and individually since we last faced France and we're confident of getting the result we need to progress to the Semi-Final.

Wembley Way: You'll be missing left-back Barrie Potts-Jacobs and centre-back Ben Godfrey through suspension. How does that affect your plans?

Stuniverse: Obviously we'd prefer they weren't suspended but we've known we'd be without them from the moment they were booked against Belgium. We've prepared this week for the game without Barrie and Ben and it's up to whoever comes in for them to make a name for themselves.

Wembley Way: Given that the other left-back in your squad, Ainsley Maitland-Niles,picked up a groin injury against Belgium, will he be fit enough to play?

Stuniverse: It's going to be touch and go. Ainsley will need a fitness test and we'll leave that as late as we can.

Wembley Way: France have had one more day to rest than you after they played their third round match the day before you. Could that prove crucial?

Stuniverse: I hope not. We don't control the schedule so there's nothing we can do about that.

Wembley Way: Good luck.

Stuniverse: Thank you.

WC_France_v_England_pre_Henry.png.adeb941ab92428f978d97b74a84b2667.png

WC_France_v_England_pre1.png.a40c9e0bf5ae7520b8a405929a5c0214.png

WC_France_v_England_pre2.png.b15526c102e013a128c00134f3e11edd.png

WC_France_v_England_pre3.png.40c80ce2f64c6e36a24d9c56c12856ee.png

WC_France_v_England_pre4.png.96a8e75916f501f67000b9c0a51f0d04.png

Friday 5th July 2030

POST MATCH: France 6-2 England

World Cup Quarter-Final

France_6-2_England_post1.png.1667d4b60f6c409c8e1dd8e6f3e247cb.png

France_6-2_England_post_Stuniverse.png.e11482f50f8cd7ee906fbe632f5a5ed0.png

Wembley Way: The years of hurt now stretch to 64 years. What went wrong?

Stuniverse: France were just better than us on the day. I have to hold my hands up and applaud Thierry Henry's France team. They outplayed us, they were quicker to everything than us, most importantly, they were much more clinical in front of goal than us. Kylian Mbappe, in particular, was outstanding.

Wembley Way: Where did it go wrong?

Stuniverse: I wouldn't say it went wrong, as such, which I know sounds odd given the scoreline, but France were just on a different level to us in both penalty areas. The stats will say the attempts and the attempts on target were even, and they were, but France were so much more clinical than us. They were ruthless. Plus, they had an inspired goalkeeper in Kevin Bouvet. When we were still in the game, Bouvet didn't just produce one world class save, he produced five or six.

We allowed France far more possession than we intended and, at times, we couldn't get the ball off them.

Overall, it was bitterly disappointing and I'd like to apologise to our fans. We let them down today.

Wembley Way: How do you react to a defeat like this?

Stuniverse: It hurts. And it'll hurt for some time now. But the European Nation League gets underway again in September with games against Portugal and Poland. We need to get this out of our system, brush ourselves down, dust ourselves off, and make the fans proud of us again with positive results against Portugal and Poland.

Wembley Way: The next World Cup is four years away, will you be managing England next time in an attempt to emulate Sir Alf Ramsey?

Stuniverse: That's something I need to sleep on, but it may be best for me to hand the reigns over to someone else and let them have a shot at making England World Champions.

France_6-2_England_post_Henry.png.de55069d77f33cfaec1953d7fe9bc633.png

France_6-2_England_post2.png.8dc42b38419a5bc3eebec42b47aa26f1.png

France_6-2_England_post3.png.984d86f3dbe81e7e37851e5c767b6cc9.png

France_6-2_England_post4.png.85335e192b31c41d1923287aa6f66207.png

France_6-2_England_post5.png.35680d17c9d33ce5234256817c87006b.png

France_6-2_England_post6.thumb.png.05e874153426d58717c5a482d5e05aa7.png

France_6-2_England_post7.png.1e8bf1ca00ea7e0140492f478ecba993.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Monday 15th July 2030

STUNIVERSE QUITS AS ENGLAND MANAGER

Wembley Way: England manager Stuniverse has ended his tenure as England manager by resigning his position.

use.png.f402dadfd32652e497f568d037e12f80.png

7 hours ago, Bitner said:

Was a good run, but Mbappe is so good, had him on FM20. in one season, he hit 74 goals in 46 games. Unbelievable.

Cheers,
Bitner

Thanks, @Bitner. Yes, Mbappe had an unbelievable game for France and we couldn’t handle him at times.

Sadly the fairy tale end to the save wasn’t to be.

It hurt to lose 6-2 because France weren’t that much better than us. The quarter-final was one of those open, end to end games, where both teams were creating chances. A bit of Russian roulette over who would score first and, largely thanks to some world class saves by their goalkeeper, France scored first, and then they scored again. We had to chase the game, taking more risks as the game progressed, and they just picked us off at the other end.

I really wanted to end the save by winning the World Cup with England... but it wasn’t to be.