The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

1 hour ago, Offspring8 said:

Morning all! Long-time FM Stories member here, decided that after 10 years of visiting the same place I'd cross the street and have a look at what you guys have got over here. I'm going to give a couple of threads a read through, anybody with any recommendations?

Hi @Offspring8Good to see new faces around. 

The most prolific poster here is @Makoto NakamuraHe will probably have finished 1 save and got half way through another by the time you have read this. :lol: No, seriously, he has some amazing long careers and gets through them quickly so it's great for a story to develop. the downside is that it's actually quite hard work to keep up with him sometimes because he can play quicker than some of us can read. :lol: His most recent thread is a Youth Only save in England, (but he usually travels to far more exotic locations). 

As you come from the Story section, maybe @ManUtd1is worth a look. He usually has a pretty strong back-story theme running through his updates. 

I personally really like the posting style of @smp20and although this is in it's early stages, it's well worth a follow. 

We love a Scandi/Nordic save in here for some reason, (hugely popular), and if I was to suggest just 1 it would be by @rodesire

The thread that is on my personal list for today, (I have just had a quick look until now), is by @_Ben_ but be prepared for less back-story and more analytical questions, (but I've only briefly popped in there so might be wrong). Detail looks great though. :thup:

If I was to go back and get you to look at an older thread.... then it would have to be another from @Makoto Nakamura(which has finished now but which I haven't had a chance to catch up on). It's a Faroe Islands based save if you want some less Vanilla Makoto. 

Welcome. by the way. :thup:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/04/2020 at 11:37, Jimbokav1971 said:

I think I'm looking at the wrong page. 

I'm clicking on this. 15de31078531f0c6a9354daf62a422db.png 

Then on this. 48b9900a382caf2cf2b79822e5bf849a.png

This would seem to explain things for the U18's 83cb0d00365d1c5ee8ae35c5673c8b6b.png

I can't find option in responsibilities to change things though.

The U23's look different again, (and the reason for that is that they are already using the Senior tactic). 

Different league, so it may be different, as I have a U21s, but I went Development Centre, then chose my team to look at

c3d497cd6dcee3249ef80c133f7ae6c7.png

From the drop down menu, I chose tactics and above the map of positions there was this

14b647a84f42ebf6a9bb25267a9069de.png

The drop down arrow shows

0d7ebb0e4a488816d38fbec09033154d.png

With the selected one being the one the first team are using currently

With the U23s being a team that can enter senior competitions (EFL cup), it may be different in England

4 minutes ago, Mardels said:

I answered in my Leiston thread. :thup:

I have too many unfinished saves and just shouldn't have started it in the first place really. I'll say live and learn, but I never do. :lol:

58 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

I answered in my Leiston thread. :thup:

I have too many unfinished saves and just shouldn't have started it in the first place really. I'll say live and learn, but I never do. :lol:

If only someone could have foreseen such an outcome. :lol:

On 22/04/2020 at 11:22, Offspring8 said:

Morning all! Long-time FM Stories member here, decided that after 10 years of visiting the same place I'd cross the street and have a look at what you guys have got over here. I'm going to give a couple of threads a read through, anybody with any recommendations?

My one. :D

It's FM 2007, completed recently, and was the longest running in both forums and got 100,000 views in total:

Skip the contents if you don't want spoilers.

Story forum version without the suspciously accurate photos:

3-way league titles decided by tiebreakers twice in a row, Ashley Cole and Glenn Hoddle relegating everyone, Wayne Rooney effectively being killed off, and the rise of a certain little national team to one of the greatest in history. And that's just the simulated stuff that didn't involve me!

Having the worst case of FM blues right now as all the saves I start now end in the rubbish bin. Really curious as to what I can do right now because it's not like I don't want to play the game.

There's so many options though! Like I can do anything with this dang game, it's crazy.

1 hour ago, Minuy600 said:

Having the worst case of FM blues right now as all the saves I start now end in the rubbish bin. Really curious as to what I can do right now because it's not like I don't want to play the game.

There's so many options though! Like I can do anything with this dang game, it's crazy.

Play something else entirely.

You're probably playing it out of habit at this point, though hopefully not addiction.

1 hour ago, Minuy600 said:

Option 1. Pick 1 save, (any save), and just keep playing it until either you die or FM21 comes out.

Option 2. Have you tried FMT?

Option 3. Stop playing FM completely until you miss it and want to play it again. Then, don't start a new save, just continue 1 save and 1 save only. 

If you are thinking of giving FM20 a miss for a while, read a book, watch a box set, play a different game, (there are some reductions on some of the Total War series at the moment). You could even just read threads in here and not play. 

If you are really not feeling FM, my advice is just don't play it until you are feeling it. 

Please don't take this the wrong way @Minuy600but, (and I might be wrong here), I personally think you start too many saves. The reason that they end up in the rubbish bin is because you are too quick to start a new one. If you invest 5 seasons in a save you are far less likely to bin it off because you become invested in it. You seem to swap from 1 save to the next quite easily, (says the man who is currently playing 2 FM20 saves and 1 FMT20 save, but I promise that's not the norm). Just play 1 save and properly get into it. :thup:

@Jimbokav1971 I don't see that as offensive, I really agree with you! It's really frustrating to me I give up that easily. Wish I had the power to restrain myself from starting over so many times.

Luckily I have one save which is doing me a huge favor right now, and it's the one I started all the way back when the beta first released. I've decided to come back to that one (i'm in 2024 right now) and it's great to be back. This is the save to pick me back up again after a few weeks of duds. 

Problem is, that's all it is, honestly. I can't play it for much longer than a season at a time before having to take a break for a few weeks again. If I want to be succesful on a save (spoiler: I am not exactly winning much silverware on the beta game), there should be a club or a league that fits my playstyle and allows for some prizes to be won from time to time.

The duality of taking it easy and picking a dominant team or starting down the order is rough, let me tell you. I'm not sure if i'm cut out for either.

I also did definitely try FMT a few times but the differences between it and full fat kinda turn me off, even though many things are good about it.

This is a link to a post/thread/story on Reddit. 

It's really well written an there is a really unique slant in terms of save goals. 

I'm not very experienced with Reddit, (only just signed up), and I'm finding it hard to navigate, but the linked post allows you to link to each part in the save. Its' well worth a read. :applause:

Don't start from here. Use the link to then click on Part 1 and go from there. 

18 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

Problem is, that's all it is, honestly. I can't play it for much longer than a season at a time before having to take a break for a few weeks again. If I want to be succesful on a save (spoiler: I am not exactly winning much silverware on the beta game), there should be a club or a league that fits my playstyle and allows for some prizes to be won from time to time.

The duality of taking it easy and picking a dominant team or starting down the order is rough, let me tell you. I'm not sure if i'm cut out for either.

I also did definitely try FMT a few times but the differences between it and full fat kinda turn me off, even though many things are good about it.

It is worth thinking about readjusting your aims in a save.  Not easy if you have set out with a goal.

As an example in my FM18 save, I wanted to win each of the leagues in Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands as Youth Only.  I started in Belgium, won the third tier, got sacked, ended up in Luxembourg and was facing the sack again, so I relaxed the rules slightly, signed some of the Belgian intake who were rubbish in terms of Belgian football but decent for Luxembourg.  It took me years to build up through Luxembourg, so much so that I missed FM19.  I eventually decided I had got as far as I could, and moved to AZ, and just lost impetus.  So the original plan failed, but I found a new aim.

In my FM20 save currently there were two plans.  To write more of a backstory, which fell by the wayside as work became busier and I had no brain capacity to develop the story, and to reach Denmark as the pinnacle of the save.  But it turns out I am quite enjoying Switzerland, so might just stay and try to improve the team I am at (Lugano).  We can't register a full European squad due to a dearth of homegrown players, so the next step is to boost that.

I have found being willing to change the direction of the save is quite useful, and set goals that are not always linked to silverware, but do something like - set a record for transfer sales (single player, or per season)

I want to start a career(update)  with a team from a special region (for example Bilbao from Basque or Ibiza from Balearen regio or a team from the island Madeira) with a story . Not a topteam but in the 2th level(third is also possible ). I'm looking to emulate the Basque policy to a team from a nice region :

Before i can start i have to search / find all the cities located in the region .. i have to give them a tag ( for example [Balearen]*City in the editor.

dc2045c6c8b00662f78bbf48165e8816.png

e2454bb1c04c242b2874f10c6e4b8ba2.png

By doing that i can create player search and scouting filters and i only have to select them once (by searching for the tag and select those cities) .

Rules are :

*Only sign players from that region.

*Or players homegrown from teams in that region.

*Sell / don't use all the players in the starting squad that are not born in the region OR i could choose to keep them till their contract run out. Or i can choose for using them till they retire / want to leave to add some realism.

I'm looking to emulate the Basque policy to a team from a nice region :

*A team with a story , not the biggest team from the region.

I thought about Ibiza (but they don't have any player from the Balearen in their first squad) , about Partrick Thistle (glasgow region) , about teams in Sardinia or Sicily but those regions are to big.

*A team with a few homegrown players because otherwise the challenge would be almost impossible.

*A team with lower expectations (not Bilbao for example).

*A relegation candidate in 1th tier or team in 2th or 3th tier.

*Region can't have more then 100-150 cities, otherwise the editing would take ages.

2 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think that Pau were playable out of the box. I could be wrong though. Are they playable in Season 1 without an edited database? 

Not sure, i'll check this tonight. But i started somewhere else :)

On 05/05/2020 at 10:00, Jimbokav1971 said:

That's really strange. It just doesn't make sense. Any other financial irregularities?

Is this possibly related to an edited database? 

Not really sure, only edit to database was to replace MK Dons with my club and I do have in-game editor.

Anyway we sold Dahlberg and there was no mention of that fee.

Each year I have more desire to try a save in FMT, but usually I only do one save per year and I remained on FM full again, but even though career threads on FMT are few the feedback is positive and I'm pretty sure next year I'm transitioning to FMT definitely.

On 11/05/2020 at 12:26, kingjericho said:

Each year I have more desire to try a save in FMT, but usually I only do one save per year and I remained on FM full again, but even though career threads on FMT are few the feedback is positive and I'm pretty sure next year I'm transitioning to FMT definitely.

I think it's come a long way. Well worth a look now for someone who doesn't want the full immersive experience. 

Hi guys. I have a bit of a weird question here. 

How many of you would be interested in playing an on-line game against someone else from this part of the community? 

I've never played an online game and would much rather play it with someone in here where we can have a laugh and a joke about things rather than someone who might want to take it too seriously? I know that this is something I think I mentioned to @dafugeages ago, but I don't think there was an awful lot of interest back then. 

To start off with, I'm not overly bothered about whether we imported teams or used "vanilla" teams and if I'm honest I'm not completely sure how it works, but in principle, who us interested? 

I know that some would be interested in micro-managing everything about the games, but I also know that "IR" buttons and FMT are becoming more popular so would you also be interested in play online games with "IR" buttons? 

Let me know what you think please. 

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Hi guys. I have a bit of a weird question here. 

How many of you would be interested in playing an on-line game against someone else from this part of the community? 

I've never played an online game and would much rather play it with someone in here where we can have a laugh and a joke about things rather than someone who might want to take it too seriously? I know that this is something I think I mentioned to @dafugeages ago, but I don't think there was an awful lot of interest back then. 

To start off with, I'm not overly bothered about whether we imported teams or used "vanilla" teams and if I'm honest I'm not completely sure how it works, but in principle, who us interested? 

I know that some would be interested in micro-managing everything about the games, but I also know that "IR" buttons and FMT are becoming more popular so would you also be interested in play online games with "IR" buttons? 

Let me know what you think please. 

If it wasn’t too serious (as I am a poor player) I would be interested, but finding the time to be online at the same time would be challenging. My only knowledge of online saves is a LAN save back in the 00/01 era so not sure how they function

Just now, scousevasey said:

If it wasn’t too serious (as I am a poor player) I would be interested, but finding the time to be online at the same time would be challenging. My only knowledge of online saves is a LAN save back in the 00/01 era so not sure how they function

I'm not thinking of on-line saves for that very reason. Thinking more of just individual games. 

12 minutes ago, scousevasey said:

I read it as online sorry.  What sort of thing are you considering?

I do mean online, but rather than a whole save which would be quite time-consuming and hard to co-ordinate in different time-zones, I just mean single individual games.

Sorry if I've not been clear. 

8 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I do mean online, but rather than a whole save which would be quite time-consuming and hard to co-ordinate in different time-zones, I just mean single individual games.

Sorry if I've not been clear. 

So you setup a save and we take a team let you know the formation/lineup and IR it?

Sounds interesting

2 minutes ago, scousevasey said:

So you setup a save and we take a team let you know the formation/lineup and IR it?

Sounds interesting

Something like that. 

I'm not really au fait with how on-line works, but I'm also wondering about using "exported teams", but really not sure how realistic it is. 

It's just that I'm interested in an on-line game but I use IR and don't really get tied down to playing a whole save with someone else, but would be really keen on individual games. If I had to play the game in full then I think I would do so, but I would prefer to play using an IR button. 

6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Something like that. 

I'm not really au fait with how on-line works, but I'm also wondering about using "exported teams", but really not sure how realistic it is. 

It's just that I'm interested in an on-line game but I use IR and don't really get tied down to playing a whole save with someone else, but would be really keen on individual games. If I had to play the game in full then I think I would do so, but I would prefer to play using an IR button. 

Is there a way to set something short and easy up using the editor

Easiest one is to create a World cup style tournament for clubs, and add in the players suggestions of teams

More complex is to run a draft of players first (the sheer number of options makes it very difficult, but it could be limited to a pool of Big 5 league players or something), then edit the teams into a database for the competition

That would remove the long term save element and allow players to pick squad/formation and run it through

Could run first round of games via IR, then allow everyone back in to rejig selection/formation/instructions, but this then slows everything down waiting for everyone

Just now, scousevasey said:

Is there a way to set something short and easy up using the editor

Easiest one is to create a World cup style tournament for clubs, and add in the players suggestions of teams

More complex is to run a draft of players first (the sheer number of options makes it very difficult, but it could be limited to a pool of Big 5 league players or something), then edit the teams into a database for the competition

That would remove the long term save element and allow players to pick squad/formation and run it through

Could run first round of games via IR, then allow everyone back in to rejig selection/formation/instructions, but this then slows everything down waiting for everyone

That's sort of what I was thinking, inspired by the recent FM20 Twitch streamers competition, but I don't want to run before I can walk. At the moment I'm just seeing who is interested in the moment and will take it from there. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

That's sort of what I was thinking, inspired by the recent FM20 Twitch streamers competition, but I don't want to run before I can walk. At the moment I'm just seeing who is interested in the moment and will take it from there. 

If it can be done 'remotely' and doesn't rely on me being live then count me in.

If I need to be live, then I can't guarantee the regularity

7 minutes ago, scousevasey said:

If it can be done 'remotely' and doesn't rely on me being live then count me in.

If I need to be live, then I can't guarantee the regularity

To be honest, because it's just a single game, that was my thinking. While it might be hard to be on-line for a couple of hours regularly when we are in different time-zones and different parts of the World, finding time for a single game when lots of people aren't working should be much easier. 

For example I'm in the UK and I would quite happily play at a time that fits in with your schedule to make it easier on you, (because I'm off work because of the Covid situation). 

In fact, I might just send you a message and try and arrange a 1-off game between us just so I can see how it works. 

Thanks for responding. :thup:

Hi @Jimbokav1971, I am interested. I tried to play some online saves but it simply does not work as you have to play at the same speed with others. I like the idea that we provide you our tactical idea and lineup and you set it up. So you can count me in :)

15 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

To be honest, because it's just a single game, that was my thinking. While it might be hard to be on-line for a couple of hours regularly when we are in different time-zones and different parts of the World, finding time for a single game when lots of people aren't working should be much easier. 

For example I'm in the UK and I would quite happily play at a time that fits in with your schedule to make it easier on you, (because I'm off work because of the Covid situation). 

In fact, I might just send you a message and try and arrange a 1-off game between us just so I can see how it works. 

Thanks for responding. :thup:

I am up for that

At home but working, so evenings are best.  UK based too.

A Man Attempts To Avoid Relegation On Football Manager With Team Of World's Best Goalkeepers

AUZszU.jpg

"In a pointless but completely necessary experiment on Football Manager, one man attempted to keep League Two side Northampton Town in the division with a team full of goalkeepers." :thup:

:lol:

It didn't last long lol

Edited by Maw74

Couldn't continue with Viitorul , the region was not big enough so it was more a Youth only challenge(i wanted a mix between transfers and youth from the region.

That is why i started a new career topic . Can anyone help me how to add tags 'youth ' 'transfer policy' .. i was able to tag the Viitorul save, but can't find it in my new topic.

2 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Still not much have changed in the FMCU threads. A brief overview on the European careers updated at least once in the month of May. No support for location other than my knowlege of geography, so is some clubs are not spot on on position don't bother. British Islands a mess of locating clubs (as they host more than 50% of total careers) so I just threw clubs in there :). Keep up playing and have fun guys!

Presentation16af8f9a34492136c.jpg

Please keep doing this, I absolutely love it! Also, a map of the other continents would be interesting as well.

Edited by oriole01

2 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Still not much have changed in the FMCU threads. A brief overview on the European careers updated at least once in the month of May. No support for location other than my knowlege of geography, so is some clubs are not spot on on position don't bother. British Islands a mess of locating clubs (as they host more than 50% of total careers) so I just threw clubs in there :). Keep up playing and have fun guys!

Presentation16af8f9a34492136c.jpg

awesome! especially as I can see my Leicester City badge from here! 

also @Jimbokav1971, I would be interested in a community multiplayer / online tournament, game, etc.

I agree that online saves in general are difficult, I used to play a lan save with my brother and dad, even when we all lived at home it was a nightmare. Think in the time you'd have IRed through your 1st season, my dad would have identified his 1st transfer target...

Anyway, I am interested, though am unsure how helpful a guinea pig I could be in the testing phase, as I am still working 40-60 hour weeks in the NHS.

But if it gets sufficient interest to get to the signup stage, please count me in