Is it me, or is it just to mind numbing with all the player interactions?

I have to say that Im finally, after 30 years (Gulp!) concerened at where the game has gone. Ive always managed multiple teams, and I appreciate this means I just like to buy players, do tactics and play games. Ive looked at the threads and can't see anyone else moaning, but Im finding it really really tiresome having to deal with players moaning about not playing. I do value the detail that has gone into it and appreciate that its a real thing in football. It just seems to be happening a whole lot and the options you want arent there. Is there not a way of having the assistant manager doing this or taking it out the game all together? Or am I being too fussy?Why do I have to have a team meeting every other week ?

3 hours ago, wilkiburger14 said:

I have to say that Im finally, after 30 years (Gulp!) concerened at where the game has gone. Ive always managed multiple teams, and I appreciate this means I just like to buy players, do tactics and play games. Ive looked at the threads and can't see anyone else moaning, but Im finding it really really tiresome having to deal with players moaning about not playing. I do value the detail that has gone into it and appreciate that its a real thing in football. It just seems to be happening a whole lot and the options you want arent there. Is there not a way of having the assistant manager doing this or taking it out the game all together? Or am I being too fussy?Why do I have to have a team meeting every other week ?

yes, I'm a lot more recent a player than you, but I think even from last year it's got worse. Dynamics is clearly the new toy, and that's adding to it. Even the options are limited - you can't say "you've played six of the last seven games, shut up and get on with it" but they clearly think that they're somehow making it more challenging by having players behaving illogically. 

It's even infested the tactics which, like you, I used to enjoy. The tactical briefing seems to be a mire of players having little reaction to anything you say. The only reason I haven't just stopped is that I'm hoping that it's meant to get less dreary as your "dynamics" with the team get better. But at the moment, I think it's a shabby mess with a messy interface, which doesn't seem to work properly, a hoofball match engine, endless offsides which wouldn't be given IRL, and no real sense of tactics having any effect outside formation.

You should never let it come to the point where players complain about lack of playing time. Be honest about player statuses - don't hand out more than 11 "key player" or "first team" statuses, and preferably even less. I almost never have people complaining about playing time simply by being honest (AND - of course being aware of player personalities when signing new guys).

9 hours ago, wilkiburger14 said:

5 hours ago, scass said:

yes, I'm a lot more recent a player than you, but I think even from last year it's got worse. Dynamics is clearly the new toy, and that's adding to it. Even the options are limited - you can't say "you've played six of the last seven games, shut up and get on with it" but they clearly think that they're somehow making it more challenging by having players behaving illogically. 

It's even infested the tactics which, like you, I used to enjoy. The tactical briefing seems to be a mire of players having little reaction to anything you say. The only reason I haven't just stopped is that I'm hoping that it's meant to get less dreary as your "dynamics" with the team get better. But at the moment, I think it's a shabby mess with a messy interface, which doesn't seem to work properly, a hoofball match engine, endless offsides which wouldn't be given IRL, and no real sense of tactics having any effect outside formation.

It seems that FMT would suit you better. Less interaction.

24 minutes ago, Viking said:

"BMW, how can I help you?"

"Yes, hello. I have a problem. For the last 20 years I have bought your cars, but this last one catches fire when I use the steering wheel."

"Right. Well, you should buy a Skoda instead."

So you have a product, and it's moving in a direction the OP particularly dislikes.  Luckily we have this alternative product that has demonstrably less of the feature that is being complained about.  And it's a bad thing to suggest it?  

Making a terrible analogy doesn't really help your point.

I would actually describe the analogy as

BMW, how can I help you?

Yes, hello. I have a problem. For the last 20 years I have bought your cars, but this last is too big for my garage?

Well, we also offer a smaller, more compact type. Maybe this will suit you better?

It's not like the full version is broken with interactions (I just completed my 10th season and it's working fine!). It's just not suited to your wants and needs. However, they have an alternative variant which does mostly the same thing, but fits you better.

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

So you have a product, and it's moving in a direction the OP particularly dislikes.  Luckily we have this alternative product that has demonstrably less of the feature that is being complained about.  And it's a bad thing to suggest it?  

Making a terrible analogy doesn't really help your point.

Suggesting Touch because someone dislikes broken new features is bad, yes. Doesn't matters though, as it seems the mods censured my post and thus not allowed to discuss.

ive found 9 times out of 10 ask the captain/ team lead speak to player and he backs down and you dont have to enter conversation with the player.

even as rotation/ back up status players still expect game time and that is quite realistic tbf.

in the event player is unhappy simply sell and buy a new back up

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

Suggesting Touch because someone dislikes broken new features is bad, yes. Doesn't matters though, as it seems the mods censured my post and thus not allowed to discuss.

They probably did because it was a dreadful analogy that didn't even make any sense, to be honest.

And that post isn't much better.  There is a product that specifically avoids the thing the OP complained about, so I'd recommend to them that they give it a try.  It's missing other parts too, so might not be quite to taste, but I'd imagine it's better than just shouting "BROKEN" at the top of your voice because the tinfoil hat's on too tight.

1 minute ago, pizzachips said:

ive found 9 times out of 10 ask the captain/ team lead speak to player and he backs down and you dont have to enter conversation with the player.

even as rotation/ back up status players still expect game time and that is quite realistic tbf.

in the event player is unhappy simply sell and buy a new back up

I've never really used the captain part in any edition, will try that a bit more.  Most conversations often go the same way with me.  Usually it's someone not being played because there's someone better, so I tell them that.  Most of the time they back down on that, the ones that don't get the dunce's cap until they either agree or storm off in a huff.  I've yet to have even the latter backfire under the new system.  There was one case where one of the leaders called a team meeting to complain about dressing room atmosphere, but after some reassuring words and a few good results, they all fell in line.

It seems a lot easier to control in this game than previous ones to be honest.

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I've never really used the captain part in any edition, will try that a bit more.  Most conversations often go the same way with me.  Usually it's someone not being played because there's someone better, so I tell them that.  Most of the time they back down on that, the ones that don't get the dunce's cap until they either agree or storm off in a huff.  I've yet to have even the latter backfire under the new system.  There was one case where one of the leaders called a team meeting to complain about dressing room atmosphere, but after some reassuring words and a few good results, they all fell in line.

It seems a lot easier to control in this game than previous ones to be honest.

to add.. when i do this its never made the player unhappy that i didnt speak to him/ no noticeable changes in dynamics so try it out.. 

I ignore it, skip it, whatever you can do to get rid of the item quickly.

Does it affect anything? Not really, I still win games and competitions even with whinging players.

If you do have to speak to them, just lie and promise them the world and they shut up for a fair bit.

The game can be as complicated or simple as you want it to be, believe me, I played the original back on the Amiga in 1993 and I still play todays FM18 the same way.... buy/sell, pick a team... click click click, hammer through to matchday... commentary as fast as it goes, maybe make a sub or 2 if someone is having a 6 or worse... click click click rinse and repeat.

7 minutes ago, forameuss said:

They probably did because it was a dreadful analogy that didn't even make any sense, to be honest.

And that post isn't much better.  There is a product that specifically avoids the thing the OP complained about, so I'd recommend to them that they give it a try.  It's missing other parts too, so might not be quite to taste, but I'd imagine it's better than just shouting "BROKEN" at the top of your voice because the tinfoil hat's on too tight.

Ah. The tinfoil hat card. Whatever rocks your boat. Maybe the OP will love Touch. Good for him, then. But I'm tired of people suggesting Touch whenever there's someone pointing out broken features, like endless whining from every player and their mother.

27 minutes ago, XaW said:

I would actually describe the analogy as

It's not like the full version is broken with interactions (I just completed my 10th season and it's working fine!). It's just not suited to your wants and needs. However, they have an alternative variant which does mostly the same thing, but fits you better.

I agree that analogy was better.

3 minutes ago, Viking said:

Ah. The tinfoil hat card. Whatever rocks your boat. Maybe the OP will love Touch. Good for him, then. But I'm tired of people suggesting Touch whenever there's someone pointing out broken features, like endless whining from every player and their mother.

Apart from the fact they never once mentioned the word "broken", just that they're repetitive.  Which they are.  If that bothers you, they're certainly not repetitive in Touch.  Hence why people suggest it, although I'm sure that's only because they didn't know that you're "tired of it".  

5 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Apart from the fact they never once mentioned the word "broken", just that they're repetitive.  Which they are.  If that bothers you, they're certainly not repetitive in Touch.  Hence why people suggest it, although I'm sure that's only because they didn't know that you're "tired of it".  

So they are basically suggesting the Op should buy a Skoda because he no longer can handle the BMW he used to drive?

1 hour ago, Maaka said:

I played FM Touch. It's fine but I  wanted the full game. If you read my post instead of just leaping to SI's defence it was actually making a point that Dynamics isn't as good as they say it is. It didn't say I didn't like interaction, merely that it was overpowering the game.

10 hours ago, GuitarMan said:

Try fm touch which is more about the areas you like :) there is still an element of press/player interaction however it is much more streamlined. 

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

FM Touch is definitely what you need.

1 hour ago, Maaka said:

I dislike when someone complains about an area of the game and it's instantly pointed to go play a different version of the game. 

I certainly don't want to play any other version of the game, and I dislike that there are different versions of the same game. I'm disappointed that they've spent time developing other versions of the game, instead of developing the main game. 

If someone comes on here complaining for a reason that is a good point, then pointing me to a different version of the game is not helping. 

I want to play the main game - but I want player interactions to be better, more intuitive, and less impact on day to day and the results of the game etc. 

I need the main game to work better - and pointing me to another version of the game is fruitless - because that's not what I want.

4 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I want to play the main game - but I want player interactions to be better, more intuitive, and less impact on day to day and the results of the game etc. 

I need the main game to work better - and pointing me to another version of the game is fruitless - because that's not what I want.

I think there is a fair bit of general misunderstanding around interactions.

Speaking for myself and probably a fair number of users who have no real issues with player interaction its not that we like/dislike it or that we know how to deal with it.  Simply put we just don't see the same amount of it as other users seem to.

Ok, I haven't played FM18 that much so can't directly comment on it but in previous versions I can count on one hand the number of players that come to me with an issue over the course of a season.  As someone said further up you shouldn't be letting it get to the stage where a player is coming to you with an issue.  Good squad building & good squad management means you rarely have to deal with an unhappy player.

11 hours ago, wilkiburger14 said:

32 minutes ago, scass said:

I played FM Touch. It's fine but I  wanted the full game. If you read my post instead of just leaping to SI's defence it was actually making a point that Dynamics isn't as good as they say it is. It didn't say I didn't like interaction, merely that it was overpowering the game.

Ok, I was more referring to the OP, who said he found it tiresome to have to deal with these interactions all the time, then it's not a stupid suggestion to point him in the direction of FMT, which is a version of the game (free of charge, if you've bought the full game) which actually let him forget about those things. I'm sorry I quoted you in the same post, that was a mistake on my part.

And it's fully possible to suggest changes to the squad dynamics in the feature suggestion subforum.

It is all avoidable so people suggesting it's a 'broken feature of the game' are flat out wrong. If it annoys you then the touch suggestion is a good one.

It's petty easy to keep players happy, you play them and don't tell ones who are not going to play that they are first team or key players because they will expect to play.

But hardly the end of the world when they do, there are plenty of options from that point and 9/10 selecting the logical path for the player creates minimal fuss.

I've had no issues really with player interactions and dynamics, it was something to get used to at first but once you get it, it makes sense. The game even tells you whether upsetting the player is going to cause an issue with your squad or whether you can basically fob the guy off.

It also shows that signing and creating the right personalities for your team goes a long way. If you sign an super ambitious player then likely that guy is going to be a pain. I like that element, it means when you go looking at a player, his personality and how he is going to fit into the squad actually matters and has some relevance.  Creating a team, not just a collection of talented individuals also matters. 

Foster a good dressing room atmosphere, get some highly influential and team leaders into your team who can often deal with troublesome players and just deal with the issues logically. 

I put this screenshot in the funny screenshots thread but is shows what I am talking about -

dGKiHkq.png

Team leaders sorting problems out for you, creating a good dressing atmosphere and a tight knit team, you'll get less complaints and you'll deal with the ones that arise more easily. 

8 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Ok, I haven't played FM18 that much so can't directly comment on it but in previous versions I can count on one hand the number of players that come to me with an issue over the course of a season.  As someone said further up you shouldn't be letting it get to the stage where a player is coming to you with an issue.  Good squad building & good squad management means you rarely have to deal with an unhappy player.

Yeh but it's the part of the unhappy player, and you say - "Ok I'll give you more playing time" - then the response is - "I don't believe you"

Then you say "I'm your manager you need to respect my decisions" - then the player says "I'm not backing down".

e31.jpg

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Yeh but it's the part of the unhappy player, and you say - "Ok I'll give you more playing time" - then the response is - "I don't believe you"

Then you say "I'm your manager you need to respect my decisions" - then the player says "I'm not backing down".

If he is saying "I don't believe you" when you promise more playing time it generally means you've failed with several promises in the past and lost the trust of the players.

That situation wouldn't have occurred if you hadn't failed the previous promises.  The situation hasn't escalated quickly its been slowly built up over time before coming to a head.

Failing a promise should be extremely rare, in my current FM17 save I've failed maybe one promise at most in around 15 seasons.

53 minutes ago, Viking said:

So they are basically suggesting the Op should buy a Skoda because he no longer can handle the BMW he used to drive?

No, they're suggesting that there's another product that they might enjoy.  If I don't like something and there's a product that doesn't have that but has a lot of the other good points, I'll probably want to try it.  Why is this such a huge issue with some people?  Why are people so enraged on other people's behalf when it's offered as a suggestion?

30 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I dislike when someone complains about an area of the game and it's instantly pointed to go play a different version of the game. 

I certainly don't want to play any other version of the game, and I dislike that there are different versions of the same game. I'm disappointed that they've spent time developing other versions of the game, instead of developing the main game. 

If someone comes on here complaining for a reason that is a good point, then pointing me to a different version of the game is not helping. 

And you've liberally referred to yourself there.  You weren't being told to go and try the different version.  The OP may well think the same as you, in that case, great.  Or they might actually find that Touch is the thing they've been looking for.  Why do you feel that your opinions on it should mean that it can't be offered to anyone?

5 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

If he is saying "I don't believe you" when you promise more playing time it generally means you've failed with several promises in the past and lost the trust of the players.

That situation wouldn't have occurred if you hadn't failed the previous promises.  The situation hasn't escalated quickly its been slowly built up over time before coming to a head.

Failing a promise should be extremely rare, in my current FM17 save I've failed maybe one promise at most in around 15 seasons.

Yes - I think a player wanted to leave the club in the transfer window, and I tried to sell him. I offered him for €0 and nobody bid. The transfer window closed, and that caused quite a ruckus amongst the squad.

So much so, despite offering him for Free, nobody tried to sign him - and I had let the him down, the team down, the club down, the chairman down and all the fans! I upset everyone and lost the trust and confidence of the players. 

And you've liberally referred to yourself there.  You weren't being told to go and try the different version.  The OP may well think the same as you, in that case, great.  Or they might actually find that Touch is the thing they've been looking for.  Why do you feel that your opinions on it should mean that it can't be offered to anyone?

The last time I referred to "we" I was accused for speaking on everyone's behalf, I was very deliberate in using "I". 

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

Yes - I think a player wanted to leave the club in the transfer window, and I tried to sell him. I offered him for €0 and nobody bid. The transfer window closed, and that caused quite a ruckus amongst the squad.

So much so, despite offering him for Free, nobody tried to sign him - and I had let the him down, the team down, the club down, the chairman down and all the fans! I upset everyone and lost the trust and confidence of the players. 

That sounds buggy to me.

Normally as long as you've offered the player and made an attempt to sell them they are happy you've made an effort.

I would stick it in the bugs forum for SI to review.

Just now, Smurf said:

The last time I referred to "we" I was accused for speaking on everyone's behalf, I was very deliberate in using "I". 

And that's fine.  I completely understand why some people don't want to use Touch, because it drops out a lot more than just interaction.  But what's the point in people being so angry when it's suggested to someone else who may not share that view?  No-one was suggesting you use Touch, it was purely directed at the OP.

And that's fine.  I completely understand why some people don't want to use Touch, because it drops out a lot more than just interaction.  But what's the point in people being so angry when it's suggested to someone else who may not share that view?  No-one was suggesting you use Touch, it was purely directed at the OP.

We need to get back on topic. I don't know why you single out my posts when responding. 

I have the same problems as the OP - I might as well have asked the question - I responded from my point of view as if I was asked the question.

Thanksfor the replies, I too played on the Amiga and BBC and Spectrum before it, I just love Football manager. I have tried FM Touch before, and its been ok, but you lack then on player count and also I found it impossible to get 3D kits if I recall, and other add ons, which really frustrated me as that is a must now for me, as well as logos. I will give it a go this time, I just don't want you to think Ive given up on it. SI will get my money every year regardless. I just don't like the new interface, sideways tactics at all, and more increasingly, and outside of the original post. Im finding the 3D engine the main issue. That is the thing that needs mastering the most. A little bit more randomness. A little bit less of the full back crossing and striker scoring. It must be ever so difficult to give the 3D its intelligence. If you watch highlights, you don't see last ditch tackles, driving and twisting with the ball, give and go one twos, a burst of energy and pace from the sub, someone slowing out of tiredness. 

Last time I went to Touch, they became more of an issue, as games were quicker in coming. Im behind SI, but strangely enough, just text had me all the time. Kane shoots........... what happens next. Your imagination runs wild v's seeing it in predictable fashion at times. Some goals and saves have vastly been improved on the other hand.

19 minutes ago, wilkiburger14 said:

I have tried FM Touch before, and its been ok, but you lack then on player count and also I found it impossible to get 3D kits if I recall, and other add ons, which really frustrated me as that is a must now for me, as well as logos.

Unless you are playing in a Tablet the kits and logos are just like for the full game, you can even copy your "graphics" folder from FM18 to FM18 touch, this is for PC or Mac.

4 hours ago, Maaka said:

Ok, I was more referring to the OP, who said he found it tiresome to have to deal with these interactions all the time, then it's not a stupid suggestion to point him in the direction of FMT, which is a version of the game (free of charge, if you've bought the full game) which actually let him forget about those things. I'm sorry I quoted you in the same post, that was a mistake on my part.

And it's fully possible to suggest changes to the squad dynamics in the feature suggestion subforum.

I'll certainly be voicing my feelings on dynamics elsewhere. I just want to get to the end of a season before I go off on one :-) My problem isn't the interactions, its the frequency of them and the fact that rotation and first team players seem to start moaning even though they've played in a high proportion of games. Fine if you aren't playing someone, but you get to a point....

2 minutes ago, scass said:

they've played in a high proportion of games.

Not only this is taken into account though. If they suddenly only play in 4 of the last 10 matches even though their playing time overall is enough, some players will question it to find out if they're still in your plans for regular football.

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Not only this is taken into account though. If they suddenly only play in 4 of the last 10 matches even though their playing time overall is enough, some players will question it to find out if they're still in your plans for regular football.

Still happens.

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

Why do you feel that your opinions on it should mean that it can't be offered to anyone?

Possibly for the same reason that you feel the need to attack anyone who dares to offer a dissenting opinion to your uncritical attitude to the game.

54 minutes ago, scass said:

Possibly for the same reason that you feel the need to attack anyone who dares to offer a dissenting opinion to your uncritical attitude to the game.

Attack?  Really?  Lighten up.

And I wouldn't say I was uncritical.  Just because I don't often agree with the problem de jour doesn't mean I don't have any issues with the game.  There are many.  I just don't wail about them.  

What "still happens"? I've just given you more information than you had to maybe help understand the players better, nothing more.

What "still happens"? I've just given you more information than you had to maybe help understand the players better, nothing more.

I replied to your information. BY "still happens~" I meant that they complain even when have played more than your four games out of ten. You're supposed to be a moderator yet you hammer in a self righteous reply about how you've "given me more information." Ever heard of customer relations? Because I'm a paying customer and I think the games a shabby mess.

4 hours ago, forameuss said:

Attack?  Really?  Lighten up.

And I wouldn't say I was uncritical.  Just because I don't often agree with the problem de jour doesn't mean I don't have any issues with the game.  There are many.  I just don't wail about them.  

Well, surely the point of a forum is to raise issues instead of blindly defend the game? You just seem to want to suppress criticism. Why can't you tell us your issues? Are you afraid to offend the mods? 

3 hours ago, scass said:

I replied to your information. BY "still happens~" I meant that they complain even when have played more than your four games out of ten. You're supposed to be a moderator yet you hammer in a self righteous reply about how you've "given me more information." Ever heard of customer relations? Because I'm a paying customer and I think the games a shabby mess.

Calm down, nothing was "hammered". As I said, I just gave you more info and your reply was unlcear. Discuss the points please, not the people.

I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of it, but depending on squad status, they'll expect a certain amount of games, both in the short and long term. They'll also have an opinion about their own abilities, right or wrong. Also, as you can see in this thread too, some people can be reasonable - others can't. It's the same in FM. Lastly, pay attention to the words in the conversation - they'll sometimes say that they know they're only a backup but they want more games and they realise they're not good enough to get it at your club - an admission that you didn't do anything wrong and that they're not "complaining" but rather just want first team football and it will most likely not be at your club.

Players blaming the manager for a player being sold by the board needs fixing, so does players getting unhappy you refused to sell a teammate.

I holiday between games can't there be a must respond message when a player asks to talk to you? Same with team meeting that way I can respond to the concerns.

7 hours ago, scass said:

Well, surely the point of a forum is to raise issues instead of blindly defend the game? You just seem to want to suppress criticism. Why can't you tell us your issues? Are you afraid to offend the mods? 

Well most of my issues are more a general malaise against where the game is going, and how it takes more time while I have less time available in my life to play.  I could give feedback that I don't like that, but it's not as if there's anything wrong, it's just the way the game is going, and at some point there may well come a time where I outgrow it or it outgrows me.  And that's fine.  

But if you're wanting specifics, FM15 was the last game I really enjoyed, probably down to still being involved in FMCU.  FM16 and FM17 I found pretty tedious, and just couldn't get into them to any great degree.  I had one long save, but probably played it more because I was documenting it and it was popular on FMCU (won thread of the year in the awards I believe).  Any further saves I started I would have great ideas for, but once I actually got into the game it was just...meh.  Nothing in particular jumping out, but it was what it was.  More specific issues

- International Management is not fleshed out at all.  Kind of suits as it can mean a much faster and simpler game, but there's plenty of things they could add to make it a nicer experience
- Scottish leagues seem a bit odd in their research
- The editor is still pretty neglected
- They continue to avoid making some kind of API for community work, despite plans to do so for FML in the closing months of it
- Dialogue options are still a bit lacking and won't allow me to say what I want to say to players
- Directors of Football still aren't very well fleshed out
- The game is taking up more and more time to do "properly"

But, like I said, none of them are really bad enough for me to be as raging as some seem to get.  There's things they could fix in there, but there's nothing that hasn't been raised elsewhere, and there's nothing that makes me angry enough to want to do parts of my day job for something that's supposed to be entertainment.  So I don't complain too much, because you kind of forfeit your right to complain if you're not willing to follow the avenues there are available for fixing it.

And finally we'll get to what you said.  Once again you're falling into the trap of believing that because I'm disagreeing with someone criticising the game, that I'm blindly defending it.  That I'm suppressing criticism.  That's laughable, to be honest. 

My biggest issue currently is player's asking for contracts, I can deal with it but IMO it's happening too often, so you a player asks for a new contract and you either get a team mate to resolve it or you say you have plenty of time on your current deal and they accept that.

Then they are back asking again a few months later.

And multiple players are asking a year or less into their new contracts. 

That gets a bit tedious, I have guys with 4 years left on their contracts who only last season signed a new £120k a week contract that pretty much doubled their previous wages and suddenly they want more money again. 

Archived