Slightly Outlandish Euro 2016 Predictions

Harryseaess

Iceland to get past the group stage.

Would love to see this country do well at a national tournament considering it has a population of only 300,000 and the fact that it's the most beautiful country I've ever been to.

France win

Italy exceed expectations (semifinals or better), because they look so rubbish on paper something will happen to save them.

Germany struggle to qualify in the group stage.

Albania or Iceland for the wooden spoon

Northern Ireland to reach semis.

Wales to win outright. Joe Allen to score the winning goal.

England to reach last 16.

TV pundits to refer to the likes of Iceland and Albania as complete unknowns and to belittle them on numerous occasions. Admittedly, this one is not outlandish at all and will certainly happen.

Portugal to not get through to the knock out stages.

Ronaldo playing injured like he was in the previous WC, and no manager has balls to take him out of the lineup or even substitute him during the games, even though he will basically walk all 90 minutes long.

Plus he hasn't even started training, still on holidays in Ibiza...while most teams are already playing their 2nd or 3rd friendly games.

• SI Staff

Belgium to finish bottom of their group.

Too many players had poor seasons and Italy, Ireland and Sweden all capable of beating them.

But, now I've said that they'll probably win the thing.

Italy to go out at the group stage - I think they have flattered to deceive for a long time now and think they will flop big time this time around.

Sweden to be losing finalists. I've just got a feeling the Final will be Spain vs Sweden.

Yeah, I'm 28 also and always assumed we hadn't qualified for that tournament until recently.

You're really lucky if you don't remember 'Euro 92'. From what I remember of it, and the build up towards it, Graham Taylor didn't consider Gazza and Waddle (who at the time would walk into any national team team) good enough to make his team. So turned towards Carlton Palmer instead. Taylor also finished Gary Lineker's England career during the tournament. It was definitely the worst England team I can remember. Not because of the players who could have played. But the manager and the players he chose.

You're really lucky if you don't remember 'Euro 92'. From what I remember of it, and the build up towards it, Graham Taylor didn't consider Gazza and Waddle (who at the time would walk into any national team team) good enough to make his team. So turned towards Carlton Palmer instead. Taylor also finished Gary Lineker's England career during the tournament. It was definitely the worst England team I can remember. Not because of the players who could have played. But the manager and the players he chose.

I've had a memory return (as in a memory of someone else's memory or the TV's memory i.e. one of those countdown shows). Is 92 when he took off Lineker (and either replaced him with Steve Bull or Alan Smith)? In one of those well-received managerial decisions that makes me think of Gullit benching Shearer against Sunderland and Gerrard looking very unimpressed after Rafa's honeymoon period when he started doing random dartboard subs and took off Torres again (when he was good).

• 3 weeks later...
I was thinking something along these lines. My punt is for Iceland.

Also: Portugal to flop and Ronaldo to only score 1

Iceland still on :cool:

I was almost right about Portugal and Ronaldo. Hell, last 16 is still a bit rubbish for them if they go out to Croatia.

Archived