Johan Cruyff's 3-4-3 Diamond (Very Fluid)

On 23/12/2016 at 13:52, jurwouters said:

Are there important/useful PPMs to have on the players? I use this tactic and it's working brilliantly.

I am Hellas Verona

n2sso4m.png

The only downside is that my DLP always gets a very low rating compared to other players. He has a pass completion of 90% but I think they are all very simple passes. Is this supposed to be?

Check the PPMs of your DLP, does he have "plays simple passes" or whatever it's called

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently On a Career with Manchester United ( I know very easy ) However i have found this 352 formation incredibly successful, I play:

De Gea

Laporte Alderwierweild  Bonnuci

Mhkitarian Pogba Renato Sanches Baezor Draxler

Odergard 

Martial

Currently played 30 won 30 in the league and have just knocked Real Madrid out of the Champions league.

This is my third season at the side and i will try this out with Millwall ( my local team )

Thanks

So im jumping back in with FM17 as of today, iv spent last night setting the game up and getting it skinned as i wanted it etc. 

Something to note that iv picked up on is people complaining about the 3 man defence being prone to 4-3-3, thats always been the case - when conte was at Juventus whenever they came up against a decent champions league team that played a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 Juventus always struggled and he started to experiment with a 3-3-4 to overload their back 4. 

Another thing iv noticed is people asking for the exact tactic, i think you need to take on board that this isnt just a tactic, its a philosophy and a way of playing - try to remove the chalkboard formation from your mind and concentrate on more what you want your players to do on the pitch - remembering that the formation on screen is the defensive positioning of your players. 

Great read. I tried this out for a few games in my save as Roma but it did not go well unfortunately. I seem to concede from balls over the top to a winger who runs to the byline and crosses. Do you find this happens to you much and if so how do you deal with it?

1 hour ago, kiad_ said:

Great read. I tried this out for a few games in my save as Roma but it did not go well unfortunately. I seem to concede from balls over the top to a winger who runs to the byline and crosses. Do you find this happens to you much and if so how do you deal with it?

You need to use the correct type of defenders for this tactic, pacey type with good anticipation.

Hello everybody. 

I am using this tactic on FM 2017 (17.2.0) and its working pretty good for me. But during the matches my assistant is telling me there is to big distance between defence and midfield and he advices to change mentality but this will change a lot. So, maybe have some advices anyone??

Edited by Bibaszczenko

13 minutes ago, Bibaszczenko said:

Hello everybody. 

I am using this tactic on FM 2017 (17.2.0) and its working pretty good for me. But during the matches my assistant is telling me there is to big distance between defence and midfield and he advices to change mentality but this will change a lot. So, maybe have some advices anyone??

I just ignore it. I don't see the big gap in between defense and midfield because your defensive line should be very high, thus eliminating space. Plus, the DLP drops into that space anyway.

20 minutes ago, ronaldo1026 said:

I just ignore it. I don't see the big gap in between defense and midfield because your defensive line should be very high, thus eliminating space. Plus, the DLP drops into that space anyway.

I looked at match in 2D and I can say exactly the same... I was wondering if someone got the same info from assistant manager... so thx for quick replay. 

By the way... I am just starting a new save with AC Milan (Big Fan) and I hope its gonna work for me cause i have sold all my FB's:(

Edited by Bibaszczenko

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 January 2017 at 22:10, alinp said:

Hi @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

I saw this article and wondered whether the 3-4-3 diamond referred to here used by Pep Ljinders with LFC's U-16's was likely to be similar to the Cruyff diamond?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spgsqm

This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. I've been lacking a bit of time / inspiration lately and this has re-lit the flame slightly. Funnily enough I was planning to have a go at an academy / youth development article, in relation to this thread however unfortunately the identical regen faces spoils it for me. Sounds shallow but when reviewing my team it's like attack of the bloody clones so that's being parked until there's a decent fix!

I'm quite interested in the tactical side of a youth team - obviously they're not at a level to give full freedom so you need to adapt the tactics but at the same time, there's no reason they cannot still play good football, you just need to be a bit more structured - assigning playmakers and being more specific with instructions etc.

It's difficult to say about the 3-4-3 but I would say it probably is similar given what Ljinders says about the 6 and 10 positions.

I'll be raising the suggestion of an option to take your youth team on a tour of Auschwitz in the suggestions thread immediately! :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, alozz said:

hey man, seems like a great tactic, have you tried making one of the cbs a stopper?

Stopper / Defend / Cover are way more 'plastic' titles than they look. They're just slightly different mentalities and minor changes to the PIs. I don't see any reason why you couldn't go Stopper-Defend-Stopper to have the same effect, but slightly more aggressive. I've never done it to avoid confusion and I've never seen any need but don't see why it wouldn't work.

On 20/01/2017 at 10:46, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. I've been lacking a bit of time / inspiration lately and this has re-lit the flame slightly. Funnily enough I was planning to have a go at an academy / youth development article, in relation to this thread however unfortunately the identical regen faces spoils it for me. Sounds shallow but when reviewing my team it's like attack of the bloody clones so that's being parked until there's a decent fix!

I'm quite interested in the tactical side of a youth team - obviously they're not at a level to give full freedom so you need to adapt the tactics but at the same time, there's no reason they cannot still play good football, you just need to be a bit more structured - assigning playmakers and being more specific with instructions etc.

It's difficult to say about the 3-4-3 but I would say it probably is similar given what Ljinders says about the 6 and 10 positions.

I'll be raising the suggestion of an option to take your youth team on a tour of Auschwitz in the suggestions thread immediately! :lol: 

Did you get some motivation back to carry on with this tactic???

It really is a wonderful tactic to look at.

1 hour ago, pedromanuelpinto said:

Ok... if I have 5 star players in the 3rd division... it will be easy.

I want to try it, because I don't have the right players for a 4 way defense. I'm a little afraid of this tactic because the wingers are attacking, and you don't have anyone protecting the flanks...

5-star players will only help! :lol: The opening post and proceeding thread give quite a lot of information as to the attribute profile this is built for. Obviously it is relative to your level but the same principles always apply.

There's nothing to say the formation has to remain the same. The point of these threads is to give people the tools they need to build the right system for their team and desired style of play.

Hi Ozil, just wanted to say i absolutely love this thread and all your other tactical ones, first came across them on Cleon's blog (the Invincibles one) and have been fascinated since.

just wanted to ask you a few questions about tactics, right now I'm playing as Wolves in a 4-4-1-1 formation with more pressing and a slightly higher line on fluid mentality (i love the idea of wing play, overlapping fullbacks and exciting wingers, just a personal preference). i also use tight marking and flip the midfield triangle in the centre to a 4-1-4-1 depending on the opposition midfield triangle (i.e. 4-1-4-1 against an attacking midfielder, 4-4-1-1 against a defensive midfielder system). the problem i'm facing now is that whenever i play with more pressing, the defensive block just collapses into a mass of players being pulled everywhere if the other team manages to play out of my press - i havent studied carefully how successful the press itself is although results on the field are good (2nd in EPL in second season, midway through 3rd doing well in all competitions), but once a long ball is launched over the top suddenly the defence is all over the place. strangely enough, once i remove the "more pressing" and change it to "sometimes pressing", the two lines of 4 in defensive block form very nicely. Is there a way to press and yet have those two lines of 4? all your tactics seem to be along the same lines as mine (but to a further extent i e. even more pressing) but yet the defensive structure and shape seems to always remain compact and intact, could you explain that? at the moment im playing fairly narrow shape, which i suspect could be causing the chaos against teams who play wider, and my DLP seems to still be involved in the press. any idea on what could be done to incorporate that solid defensive block while still pressing? thanks mate, really appreciate the threads (-:

@marcoon the strongest defensive system I had was the Sacchi thread.

This was an aggressive pressing 4-4-1-1 and incredibly compact and solid defensively. If I recall, in my 3rd season I conceded <10 goals and 30+ clean sheets. It was satisfying to have such an efficient, pro-active defensive set up which completely controlled games.

That thread should answer most of your questions on the defensive block.

Fantastic read! Apologies if any of these questions have been asqued before on the thread:
-What are in your opinion the main differences from a defensive point of view of playing a line of 5 compared to a line of 3? (with a line of 3 being "wingbacks" playing on the MC strata)
-What role and what player instructions would you use for a wingback playing on the MC strata? i've been playing around with a winger on support but a lot of people here use defensive wingers.
-The likes of Guardiola like to use hardworking wingers instead of converted wingbacks next the midfield when going out with 3 defenders. What makes it a better option to play Sterling instead of Zabaleta on the wing? would you change the role and player instructions?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Sebas said:

Fantastic read! Apologies if any of these questions have been asqued before on the thread:
-What are in your opinion the main differences from a defensive point of view of playing a line of 5 compared to a line of 3? (with a line of 3 being "wingbacks" playing on the MC strata)
-What role and what player instructions would you use for a wingback playing on the MC strata? i've been playing around with a winger on support but a lot of people here use defensive wingers.
-The likes of Guardiola like to use hardworking wingers instead of converted wingbacks next the midfield when going out with 3 defenders. What makes it a better option to play Sterling instead of Zabaleta on the wing? would you change the role and player instructions?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you very much. A few have come up before so you can read more detail earlier in the thread. But, in general..

- MR/L vs WBR/L - it's not a perfect solution but it's a balance between being strong defensively and actually being a 3-4-3 diamond shape.

- If I was to play a wingback it'd be WB(A) as they would need to provide width in attack. I don't use Defensive Wingers - as far as I'm aware it's the same as normal winger but with the option to go Defensive responsibility and high pressing.

- For me, they can be either wingers or wingbacks if they have the right attributes. I generally ended up playing one of each but that was just the best players available.

2 hours ago, poobington said:

Not Fm related but quite interesting that this exact formation has been suggested as potential solution for fitting in Jesus and Aguero at city.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/08/man-city-can-play-gabriel-jesus-sergio-aguero-together-within/

Hmm. Looks like a Squawka article! :D I'd be surprised given the state of their defence. Interesting never the less. Thank you for sharing.

2 hours ago, Anaconda Vice said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! When is that Messi thread popping up. I don't think I have ever seen an FM dot move so much like Messi as it did in your video.

Epic.

Working on it. Work commitments have slowed progress a bit but as I was building the squad I was expecting to write something 3rd season but - I don't want to speak to soon - I think it's peaked so may be good to write shortly.

4 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

@Phantom321 not me personally but I think a couple have used it and I see no reason much would have changed in the match engine.

I have used it with an LLM side and once i got the right players for it, i had some great results. I used the wingers on support rather than attack and we were pretty solid. Did struggle against a 4-2-3-1 though, so had to change to wingbacks for that.

On 2/9/2017 at 15:50, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Working on it. Work commitments have slowed progress a bit but as I was building the squad I was expecting to write something 3rd season but - I don't want to speak to soon - I think it's peaked so may be good to write shortly.

I can say I am more than a bit excited :D

Just had my first game of the season on my new Liverpool save following this philosophy, tweaked it slightly with a couple of player instructions (namely the 10 so he plays short passes/quick lay offs as bakero did for cruyffs barce) and team instructions to include work ball into box, i felt we had far too many long shots and also use offside trap as i felt we where being caught out.

Addressed what i believe to be Liverpools biggest problem and signed Fraser Forster followed by a few central defenders - Veitman,Nacho and the young brazilian Lyanco - also brought in Robbie Brady which i believe to be a great signing. These signings will allow me to cash in on Mignolet,Lovren and Moreno hopefully to recoup some funds.

4a509c6b74e69c986a188996a4ea4187.jpg

bf21bfc88ecc9c1ea4f3aed3116056cb.png

41a4aacf6b9245fa74a05be7c46b3cf8.png

Edited by iamneallyons

8 hours ago, pedromanuelpinto said:

I'm having difficulties scoring goals, any sugestion?

I have add my tactic 2 posts ago.

You gotta diagnose why you're not scoring. Is it the striker resorting to long shots because they don't have any options (or poor decisions/teamwork)? Are you not creating chances at all, or poor quality ones? You can also read this.

https://strikerless.com/2015/02/24/finishing-chances-how-can-i-stop-my-forward-finishing-like-torres-at-chelsea/

I very often struggled with long shots especially from the CM(S), and especially when I don't have near world-class players. And I mean swing for the fence, hopeful long shots, not quality strikers where the player could've used another option but had the opportunity to strike and chose to. I'd say that my most satisfying answer to this was to use CM(A) rather than CM(S). Giving the "Get Further Forward" PI to a CM(S) isn't the same as using a CM(A), notably because there's a difference in their mentality. Likewise, using a WM(A) with IF(A) PPMs doesn't make them IFs at all: on the ball they're very close but off the ball they don't move the same way IME. Anyway, CM(A)s don't seem to resort to long range shooting as much, rather moving aggressively and passing their way through the defence and inside the box.

I then  decided to couple them with IWBs. I don't usually like a back 5 with this: I find that they form a line of 5 players behind the midfield diamond that are easily bypassed on aerial through balls when faced against quality opposition. While using WMs (either as WMs or Wingers) stretches the back three, I fond that the team occupies the pitch better when defending. OTOH, IWBs love to play those low crosses that are incredibly deadly in FM17, and vary with other types of crosses when needed. If there was a way to defend with a flat four in FM (the AMC becoming a CM) like Juve used to do when using a 4-4-2 Diamond, I'd probably use a back 5 more often. Something like this is possible in say, PES but the stiffness of FM's tactics doesn't allow for that (you can always set the AMC to man-mark a specific player, but I much prefer zonal marking overall).

The obvious issue is that it cuts the team in two quite easily, with the CBs and the DLP(D) saying back and the rest of the team working their way around and in the box handball style, even if the CM(A)s do track back and press very hard (even without instructions to do so outside of Team Instructions). Also, the mass of player attacking may be had for the AI to track, but it can easily result in a fairly congested area right in the axis of the pitch, just before the penalty box. There is also pic related: the team tends to miss a bucketload of sitters or near sitters by blasting the ball when they have the opportunity to bury it; even with the instruction to work the ball inside the box. But I don't know if it's a systemic issue or if it's just the players. Surely you wouldn't complain when you win 3-0; however I've yet to try any of this against quality opposition and worry if that may not become an issue.

The other tweak I've made was to tell the CD(C) to close down much less, due to the sheer number of PES-like goals I've conceded this way: the CD(C) closes down but miss his interception on an aerial ball while the CD(D)s held their position, leaving a huge gap between the two of them that is mercilessly exploited by any striker with an ounce of awareness.

Triglav v Veržej_ Analysis Teams.png

The other answer was to use aggressive WM(A)s with a duo of DLPs (or AP on Support) behind the offensive quartet, reproducing something T. Henry talked about.

You rely on a playmaking duo to distribute the ball while your attacking players hold their positions to try to find openings. This calls for a more structured team shape where players will fulfil their roles and stick to it. I don't like it as much; but it has some validity and is worth mentioning.

Edited by BMNJohn

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! Did you ever read Johan Cruijff's "Zo zouden wij moeten voetballen" series of 6 articles? I t was featured on his own website and in De Telegraaf (Dutch Newspaper) and it was just a great read. He wrote in-depth about his vision on football. Really great stuff to read if you are into Cruijff's footballing philosophy.

2 hours ago, Jorgen said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! Did you ever read Johan Cruijff's "Zo zouden wij moeten voetballen" series of 6 articles? I t was featured on his own website and in De Telegraaf (Dutch Newspaper) and it was just a great read. He wrote in-depth about his vision on football. Really great stuff to read if you are into Cruijff's footballing philosophy.

Where can I find it in english?

Edited by bosque

13 hours ago, bosque said:

Where can I find it in english?

Just google the title and you'll get it as a first result. For some reason google translate isn't opening it for me. However it boils down to him opposing to 2-1 midfield and going for 1-2 cos you have two midfielders attacking the space and protection in the middle while defending. If I recall well, he wrote that he would use Sneijder as a DM playmaker, De Jong as a "motor" or runner and van der Vaart as an attacking player in the Ajax line up of that time. Also if you look at the Ajax clips from that era and onward, you could see wingers stretching the field, even when playing on the "opposite side", all the way up the opposition's box and cutting in late.

Edited by grimness

6 minutes ago, grimness said:

Just google the title and you'll get it as a first result. For some reason google translate isn't opening it for me. However it boils down to him opposing to 2-1 midfield and going for 1-2 cos you have two midfielders attacking the space and protection in the middle while defending. If I recall well, he wrote that he would use Sneijder as a DM playmaker, De Jong as a "motor" or runner and van der Vaart as an attacking player in the Ajax line up of that time. Also if you look at the Ajax clips from that era and onward, you could see wingers stretching the field, even when playing on the "opposite side", all the way up the opposition's box and cutting in late.

Yes, I googled the title but the articles are all in dutch language. I'm barely mediocre with english :D

The beauty was in the simplicity of what he said. One thing that I remember from his football philosophy is this: If you use a 4-3-3 with three midfielders in a triangle shape, you have the point of the triangle facing forward or backward. Most people see the point of the triangle as the direction. So a forward triangle is attacking and a backward facing triangle is defending. Not in the opinion of Cruijff. He stated: a backward facing triangle has two people in front, instead of one, so that one is the attacking shape! :thup::)

I could only find a couple of scans of those articles, so they are in Dutch. I was not able to select the text and translate it for you. See this google search result: https://www.google.nl/search?q=pressreader+zo+zouden+wij+moeten+voetballen&oq=pressreader+zo+zouden+wij+moeten+voetballen&gs_l=serp.3...0.0.0.8040.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.serp..0.0.0.yHnxVypOLF8

I think you're precisely correct @Jorgen.

Think it may be summarised similarly here - http://www.fantasista10.co.uk/cruyff-the-misuse-of-the-number-10/. I'd be interested to read the full contents of his thoughts.

That said - something that's important to remember in FM terms is that just because a formation is a 2-1 shape or 1-2 shape in the TC that's not necessarily how it translates on the field.

For example - a 1-2 of Regista, MC(D) and MC(A) will line up as a 2-1 quite regularly. Similarly a Half-Back, Roaming Playmaker (DM) and any midfield support role will look like a 2-1 in the tactics creator but regularly create a 1-2.

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal!, I found the articles mentioned above in a Ajax forum, translated with help of  Google Translator and paste here:

So should we play football (1) 

I may ever footballer and coach have been, above all, I am a big fan of the beautiful game. Criticism of our top soccer is often therefore to me motivated by concern about how the sport and some talents will be jumped to. Therefore, I will try to show during the upcoming period without football the way I think it should be played by us and how it is being incorrectly. 

For example, it is well known that I love attacks. But to attack you need to defend and advance to defend advance you should be able to put pressure on the ball. To this for anyone to make you always look to create as many lines as easy as possible. In a way that if someone comes into possession, there is always someone right before and someone standing beside him flat. Moreover, the space between the man with the ball and the two other players should never be more than ten meters. If not, and the space is greater than ten meters, the risk is only increased. 

Basically I'm going out of five lines, excluding the goalkeeper, the back four, a central midfielder in the tip to the rear, the two outside midfielders who are more forward, a striker in the tip backwards or n at the point forward and two strikers at the outer sides. 

If you see the situation in the field, then this applies to offensive playing style in terms of the semi-circle center on your own half to the penalty area of the opponent. So a field 45 meters long and 60 meters wide. Per line so it comes to about 9 meters in length. 

Why are these distances so important? Because the positions can then be taken over more easily and more efficiently from each other. After all, there are always plenty of men behind the ball. 

Here is revealed the first misjudgment of several Dutch teams that I've seen lately at work. Caused because the central midfielder does not play in the tip backwards, but the point forward. Therefore it's coming too often as a second striker to play alongside the front striker. If one of the other two midfielders then pulls in to fill the gap, the back gets involved not 10 meters to defend 20 to 30 meters. Thus, the control falls away and the orintatiegevoel between the players themselves. 

The best example is the first goal of the Dutch national team against Scotland and the second goal Club Brugge against Ajax. In both cases, it was the intention of the player to the ball exactly the same. Only everyone did at the goal from Wesley Sneijder somewhat-he had to do, while the action of Jari Litmanen in Bruges which was not done. Therefore there was no room for the purpose, and at the same time lay the bunch behind Litmanen open to the counter. While if you are a midfielder in the tip backward late play, there is always a buffer with loss of possession. 

What Ajax is concerned, I would therefore someone like Wesley Sneijder (good overview and a good inspeelpass) play at the point backward. Right could be a driver like Nigel de Jong and Rafael van der Vaart from the left side, because that position requires a little linke player who may well choose his moments to get to the point of attack. The position from which it should be done, should never be more than ten meters from Maxwell, something that was not always properly implemented in recent months. 

Also, the Dutch team will soon be able to play as in Portugal. So with five lines and the same society as I have just outlined for Ajax. Only then would Wesley Sneijder for the point to be replaced by someone behind when Mark van Bommel. Sneijder turn could be right. Rafael van der Vaart on the left you then again a society where there is little wrong with it. 

Up front, so there is room for only one striker and two people on the outer edges. A deep or suspended striker makes the adherence to the five lines of little use. The two best players who has had our country, were Marco van Basten and I, where Marco was a striker and I a hanging. But in both cases it worked well with the Dutch team, which we will be able to respect during the European Championships in all directions. 

So to be able to attack you have to defend forward and press can put on the ball. Are you in the ball, then hear the lines so close together that individual action of an attacker can never cause problems, because backing of six to seven players. Moreover, in such a way of playing the wide pass out of the question and we'll be finally rid of the apparent superiority that many Dutch teams always think they have. 

Are the five lines well and everyone is doing what it is designed to do, occur naturally throughout the triangles that are so essential for positioning. So n player concentrates runs on the pass, n on the receiving of the ball and n is free in order to be then being played. 

In short, there is sometimes done incredibly complicated about football, but if we keep it simple, then that works best anyway. 

So we should play football (Part II) 

December 29, 2003 

Last week I indicated how it should be attacked by Dutch teams. Especially through the proper application of the technique, good use of space, to defend forward and thereby put pressure on the ball. Now I go a step further, taking just gone like last week of five lines, excluding the goalkeeper, the back four, a central midfielder in the tip to the rear, two outside midfielders that are forward more, a striker in the point to in the forward or backward point and two strikers at the outer sides. As soon as someone comes into possession of this arrangement, there is always another player just before and right next to him. Moreover, the distance between them is never more than ten meters. 

It is essential to attacking, everyone realizes that the building begins when the ball is in goal. He is the first attacker. Because in such cases the defense responds faster than the attack, it is usually one of the two backs who pushed forward and runs freely. The ball to throw at him, created the first interaction. 

Once that happens, the winger has to go deep to create as the hole where the back should. Meanwhile, the first line defenders (attacking party) played out and attack the way. Then the opponent must make choices to halt the emerging backup and art is as well to anticipate. 

I now give two examples, but there are a whole bunch of lines like the feel each other but good. The first option is that the striker deflected to the right. Of the two central defenders must be one with him and one must move up to overcome the man-more situation-created by left back. At that time, both the left outside as the striker maneuvered in an n-tegenn situation. 

The second possibility for the left back, is to play the ball over a distance of up to twenty meters hard into the feet of the striker, which then reflects on the incoming right midfielder. When that started on time, then-he has an edge over zn opponent and creates all kinds of weather ntegen n situations on the right side of the field. 

The purpose of all these variants is to surprise the opponent and cause chaos. Take the first example. If the left back managed to get the ball through the left outside in one of his midfielders and who knows how to play from his opponent, then there is for the purpose of a sudden everything is possible. Once the cross comes, the striker running from the right to the near post and creates so again a huge hole for the incoming rechtshalf. That way, Johan Neeskens (Ajax and the Dutch national team) and Andr Hoekstra (Feyenoord) always score much. That was indeed for Sjaak Swart, who had a special nose for and to my knowledge also was the only right winger effectively over his right on target could cups. This explains the high number of goals he has scored for a winger. 

Also located at Sun attack three quarters of the team behind the ball, so everyone stands with his face to the goal. This is the risk taken from a counter, the field occupancy is intact for any dropping ball and there can be defended forward again. 

It is a must that while left-back attack to set up, the goalkeeper and the rest of the defense is trying to put everyone zn place. While the attack is still being developed, the defense and the midfield are then ready to deal adequately with loss of possession. 

Also, you can force again, for example by letting the striker immediately put pressure on the goalkeeper as he cross the link has intercepted outside. So the tempo is automatically increased by forcing the goalkeeper faster to do something. Standing at that time the defense and midfield well, you make it more difficult opponent again. Moreover, the striker is now the first defender, while moments before his goalkeeper was the first attacker. Again proof that you n as an individual and as a team in both defensive and offensive terms must always think one step ahead. 

It is a way of playing that is fairly easy to train, however it surprised me that Dutch teams are barely able to apply this style. Meanwhile, the pass width has almost become the norm, while the problem therewith is shifted in instead of being dissolved. Unfortunately, it is typical of the current situation. 

So we should play football (3) 

January 5, 2004 

In recent weeks, I have discussed the play of teams that have minded. In a way the world has come to know Dutch football. In addition, I took particular by the house rules, in both offensively and defensively terms, without too much detail to go into. I want to do from today, starting with the dead moments. So what to do if the ball is stationary at a corner that you get along, in a corner you get to and from a free kick? In all cases, is about you to organize, even though the ball you nevertheless still is to get a benefit from know. 

Often asked me what to do against a team that is dangerous corners. My answer is always, "make sure you do not get a corner against." While they think they are gedold, I mean it just seriously. Suppose you eight corners to get, then you have so solve eight problems. Are you going to continue playing the object, you will get there eg only four against and you have to solve four problems. This has been solved fifty percent of the problem. 

Of the four remaining'm going to see how you can do yourself the least pain. I always start with the guys who can not head to send forward. Usually there are three and often the attackers. There are three front man, the opponent does usually four behind. The man who put in the corner so you have to just keep five players account. Because there is always at least one man stands outside the penalty area for the dropping ball, there remain four over. 

Of which four can often have two good and two bad headlines. Usually you'll see that the good standing of the good. I always turn it around and put my good with their poor, so there are only solve two problems. Of those two bad topping of me, there is always one that is so good to get in the way, that there is only one good opponent comes into its own. When you have ensured that there is enough space has been created in the penalty area, then that man is basically stopped. 

To work extra in hand such a situation, it is necessary to get the ball high over the target and to force it, I always put a defender on the goal line between the pole and the line of the 5-meter area, allowing the ball to at least two meters in height should be allowed for. 

Basically, my main defensive action sending forward by three players. Shows the opponent still more daring and holds three defenders in the back, then my keeper will always get the task when he has the ball straight our fastest man up front to play. If you so scared once, you again have that problem away. 

As for an attacking corner, you're already lost the man once that takes the corner. Often I sent another man to him far, about twenty meters from the target and between the box and the air in. To eliminate the threat of a long ball, the opponent then forced to get two defenders in the penalty area and there is more room for the second action. For the record, a corner does not exist for me n but two game moments: first the ball is put in and then the rebound. 

Finally, the free-kick. About the free kick that you inherits I can be brief. Or you have a specialist who'm perfect shot over the wall or take him in two. With the intention to play someone in a position where the target is more open. 

More problems Dutch soccer players and teams defending a free kick. Look, if someone has a ball over the wall curls in the intersection, then you should just hard blows. But what irritates me just be the balls that go into it, and they really should not go. 

Let's start at the beginning. Get yourself at a free kick, then you have to deal with your keeper and the wall. Basically, the keeper should defend the goalkeeper and not the long corner, you still see too often. While the ball into the far corner takes longer and there is more time to intervene. 

As a goalkeeper, but can defend about five to six meters, the wall has to protect the remaining two meters. Nevertheless, the keeper is there to stop the ball and not the wall. So, the ball in the wall, especially the goalkeeper done its job. But what should never happen, and what you do see more and more, that will move the wall. These days, nine out of ten balls in it, as players turn around the wall, catching up to throw himself into the job of the shot and then look at the ball. This gave PSV and Deportivo both as a home for his decisive goal choosing. 

Two unnecessary mistakes, with enormous consequences. While here was a question of you simply to follow the rules. 

So should we play football (4) 

January 12, 2004 

Last week I'm a little deeper into how football should Dutch teams. When the dead moments were discussed, now called for action is discussed. 

So is the space on the court like a thread through this series. And especially the create space for yourself. For this purpose, the action is crucial. Where you often have to do the opposite of what you want. 

An example. As a winger wants to get the ball to his feet, then he must first go deep and then back again to be easier being played in the feet. Just as well that sometimes a ball back to fit to him to play so deep. 

Or in a corner, as we discussed last week, to come to the ball in order to get fewer defenders in the penalty area. 

Every position, especially up front, has to deal with these situations. This not only concerns the action alone, but also how it is anticipated by the rest of the team. In other words, for every action must never be a self-contained action. The beauty of football is, that keeps any action at any position, related in one way or another with what other players are doing in the team. 

Take the example I just gave the winger. In order to get the ball in the feet, he must create an action in depth. But the striker dived into the same hole at the same time, the space is made close when the winger must be action. 

Therefore, it irritates me so, when there is conveniently called to fail a winger if the problem is precisely caused by others. I do not know how often I am as a coach collided with critical journalists, only one person making a show action and judge him accordingly. And do not see, then, that someone is playing badly because of another and it is not really his fault. Because he is not in a position to exploit his qualities. While just falls a winger or state with a good duality between his action and action. 

How big this problem is now especially apparent during games in which opponents must suddenly on with ten men. That should be an advantage, but more often you will see the team with the advantage still get into trouble. Mainly because they suddenly do not know what to do with the space, because the opponent is going to retire to drop so no holes. What you see happening is that the ball is played back round and the opponent is insufficient rushed. 

The way to prevent this is to play one-against-n all over the field. The first benefit that grabs thus is a huge rate increase. Not one opponent gets calm on the ball and lost possession leads someone, then immediately space and creates an important man-more situation.
At that time, the whole team should be involved in order to play space that the released player can get a maximum return on his action. 

If you play, the opponent is therefore not afford a mistake, but you do because you're a man over, which operates between the defenders and midfielders. He should just stand there, make for more chance of dropping ball, so there is always pressure on the boiler. 

If you play, that is of course no guarantee of victory, but the certainty that you creates about five or six chances. 

So we should play football (5) 

January 19, 2004 

after the dead moments and called for action, I want this time to discuss the situations in which you without the ball can influence the game started. Doing a little homework never hurts. 

For example, you can help a teammate with him playing a ball on his good leg. That seems very simple, but how often do you see out matches a left-footed player pressure the ball still gets called to respond to his right foot. The same goes for how the opponent should be played. If you as a backup for instance know that your opponent prefer to go outside, you can sometimes stand so that you, as it were forced to enter through his action with his bad leg. Just as with a right footed left winger who so wl likes to make his action in through the space on the inside must be reduced again. 

It all seems abc little, unfortunately you'll see even at the highest level that players hardly dwell on these details. As it often strikes me how bad players heads in offensive-minded teams. I've already mentioned, in my time Sjaak Swart scored one for a winger unprecedented number of goals, simply because as a right winger on his right shoulder could head back. An essential quality, as a left winger makes the cross and the striker towards the near post and catching the winger towards the far post. Therefore miss attackers in such situations often in the eye easy opportunities because they are unable to head technically about their "good" side. 

The same applies to many supporters, who often head into his own goal in such cases. Therefore you need as a footballer always looking for pinholes, which you can get the opponent out of his do. Conversely, of course same. Once you know that he wants to play out your weakness, then you'd try him to be one step ahead. 

If we chose earlier with Ajax for extra pressure, we exchanged often left back for an extra striker, so I went a little more from the left in the second line play. The opponent knew that I left was admittedly good, but not as strong as the right. So tried to let me outside my action make, so I eventually had to turn left. Ultimately, this disadvantage was also an advantage, because I went extra training on my cross with the outside of right, so there was nevertheless the same effect for the purpose and for the incoming players. 

The advantage which it created, was that I had hit the ball with my outer half my step, which nevertheless was a fraction faster than normal. Often, the opponent was so surprised by the 'acceleration' that give a chance or a goal. For clarity, it was therefore not a circus act, but a functional action. As functional football often can be beautiful football. Take the way you can switch with loss of possession. Especially when you're defensive and offensive team weaker. But if the attackers can muster to defend so forth, forcing the defenders of the opposing team to increase their speed of action, the risk is increased in the wrong inspeelpass. 

A defensive action thus initiated by the attackers, who only have to defend it by bridging a distance of 4 to 5 meters. As we discussed earlier in the corner, and goes there with these examples always about how you can reduce the problems. Not always by applying complex tactical operations, but often by logical thinking. 

So we should play football (sixth and final)

Today is the last installment of this series, in which I want to make clear outline how I would like to see play the Dutch top football. I found the winter a good opportunity to do this once and to respond as directly to the criticism that I often have something to nag, but do not come with solutions. Therefore, it seemed a good idea to get the house rules of our football again out of the closet. That could come in handy if I the next few months will discuss the Dutch national team and the clubs. You now know at least how I feel. 

I hope at least that particular particular message has got through that football is often a matter of logical thinking and easy to implement. Unfortunately, we have lost sight of in the Netherlands. By making it more and more complicated, the base is neglected. Because the most important thing for a footballer and continues to master the simple actions. So fitting, accepting, stopping the ball with his chest, bipedalism and headlines. In short, the basic technique. All components are trainable for everyone. 

Take the well playing an easy ball. That's a matter of doing and repeat. Maybe boring, but you wl trains the most important part of football. The same applies to the stop of the ball. To train and maintain it is too boring, but you make it to be fast with a lot of claims. 

These basic techniques will need to combine then see with playmaking, which called 6tegen-4 is the most efficient form. As long as the area between the outer edges of the penalty area and sub-area is maintained. In such a small space and with four players in the middle you'll be automatically forced to play each ball fast, good and simple. As long as you ensure that the party's possession, there is one in the middle, one player on each short side, two on one long side and one on the other long side. 

That's why I consciously 6tegen-6 introduced at the street football tournaments Amsterdam and Volendam, while it also forms the basis for the street football that will be later played on the Cruyff Courts. 

And the 2-on-2, 4-on-4 and 7-on-7 then? As long as it is used to people, especially children, to get to the football, it's fine. As long as there is play football. 

But once we start training, it does not constitute work and applies only to the 6-to-6. Because the boys and girls so without them often have much in, to get used to the house rules of real football. First, there is a goalkeeper and five field players, which can be played with three lines. Only those lines are so close together that you have a ball to play to good to be able to make another's action. There is no last man, because everyone is forced to play one against one, in both offensive and defensive aspect. 

This situation a football player should automatically learn how he n his opponent keeps one eye at a time gives one of his backing mats. So without him impose anything, he's been busy positioning. This also applies to the goalkeeper, who must not only stop the ball, but also to give backing and sometimes have to play football with. 

For street football leagues this up to 12 years and an ideal educational concept while afterwards regardless of age can be used as a form of training. Because you are forced into a small space, in n-on situations, to apply the simple technique. Who wants to play the ball back around, it can forget. Just as someone who wants to impose a wide ball. For example, automatically cut off the errors that currently make too many Dutch footballers. 

Again, the last six weeks have been especially discussed broadly. Situations where more than two and occasionally three players were involved. Because you are playing with son elves is thus clear how many are actually sitting in football. But it obviously makes little sense to start now if it already is not right at the base. 

One other thing was that a triangle or diamond wasn't fixed on one position, but could change, or turn 90 or 180 degrees during a match for instance. For a 2-1 to change in a 1-2 the defensive midfielder has to go to the position of one of the MC's and one MC has to walk to a AMC position.  I never read tactical books from football coaches, but Cruijff's theories were alwasy fun to read / listen to.

11 hours ago, MShing said:

That's not the point of this thread. All info needed to build this tactic is in the first post. 

Apologies. Just 'no' would have done, don't have much free time these days!

On 5/5/2016 at 20:24, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Individual Training

Choose individual training programs which effect a wide range of attributes. I generally use Ball Playing Defender, Deep-Lying Playmaker, Roaming Playmaker, Complete Wing-Back, and Complete Forward.

Despite not using these roles on the field, the end product of these training programs is a well-rounded player.

When you talk about using these role for the individual training (which, by the way are the same used by me), it means that you rotate each player with that training program or you use BPD only for defender, DLP and RPM for midfielder etc... ?