Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.2.1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My reputation is Continental. I started as Sunday League in the lowest division in Iceland and have moved clubs when offered new jobs. I am playing a career game so unlikely I would be offered a job if not ready for it.

Just saw something else as well... he had a squad status as a "Hot Prospect". In my opinion, he is, but if you disagreed you should have given him a lower status. I don't feel there's a bug there, but the SI guys will gladly take a look if you can provide a save from just before the deal is confirmed. That way the situation can be re-created.

Just saw something else as well... he had a squad status as a "Hot Prospect". In my opinion, he is, but if you disagreed you should have given him a lower status. I don't feel there's a bug there, but the SI guys will gladly take a look if you can provide a save from just before the deal is confirmed. That way the situation can be re-created.

That is fair enough, I didn't think of that. Though I will add this is one of seven (two more since I posted originally).

Say you are right (I don't think you are by the way), that still doesn't explain how often my authority is challenged.

What level is your discipline at in your manager attributes?

What do you do when players challenge your authority? give in to them or put your foot down?

In terms of players complaining when others are sold I have a feeling its not just down to attributes, players build relationships with others behind the scenes which is where they get their favoured personnel from. Despite him not being great on the pitch he may be popular with other players in the squad.

Carlos Fierro... you really know the game do you? he easily scored 50-60 goals per season!!

Under somewhat decent management. ;)

As long as they're popular download tactics being shared around that insist on pushing players into already crowded boxes and force them into hurried shots, one must first wonder whether tactics are at least interrelated. There is at least one spawning threads of hundreds of posts on fan sites that doesn't designate a holding player in midfield, it's thus literally everyone being pushed up, which makes the success rate of counter attacks improve by country mile and killing any chance of a pass made backwards once play has reached the box, further encouraging bad finishes. Remember that players can get nervous and frustrated after missing chances, and whether the balancing for that is right or not, encouraging the former is not the ideal way to deal with that. Additionally no team in the world plays like that when facing such an opponent, they're trying to outplay them rather than going battle-ram, which plays into the hands of any such opposition.

Seeing such screenshots, however little they tell about the actual play that lead up to that result, make me glad and hopeful that it is possible keeping attacking superior opposition decently at bay and frustrate them. At the start of FM 2015, I was having some doubts.

Under somewhat decent management. ;)

As long as they're popular download tactics being shared around that insist on pushing players into already crowded boxes and force them into hurried shots, one must first wonder whether tactics are at least interrelated. There is at least one spawning threads of hundreds of posts on fan sites that doesn't designate a holding player in midfield, it's thus literally everyone being pushed up, additionally encouraging the success rate of counter attacks to be successful by a country mile and killing any chance of a pass made backwards once play has reached the box. Remember that players can get nervous and frustrated after missing chances, and whether the balancing for that is right or not, encouraging the former is not the ideal way to deal with that. Additionally no team in the world plays like that when facing such an opponent, they're trying to outplay them rather than going battle-ram, which plays into the hands of any such opposition.

Seeing such screenshots, however little they tell about the actual play that lead up to that result, make me glad and hopeful that it is possible keeping attacking superior opposition decently at bay and frustrate them. At the start of FM 2015, I was having some doubts.

Yes, but without doubts it's still really hard to understand WHY a "wrong tactic" bring 56 shots...that are way too much anyway you see.

In my career i win every single match with a "plug & play tactic", but what i don't understand is why right or wrong tactics turns into good or bad technical play by the players. I mean, fact is that (in this screen) Debrecen do one shot and get one goal. Can happen? Of course. But in this game happens too many times. I mean, bad tactic sometimes can turn intono bad performances...also in shoots, possession ecc ecc

Point is not winning or losing, i'm leaving the game after ten days because i win every match. Point is HOW you win or lose, and you must admit that in this game there is something wrong in the match simulation.

Sorry for my english.

Yes, but without doubts it's still really hard to understand WHY a "wrong tactic" bring 56 shots...that are way too much anyway you see.

In my career i win every single match with a "plug & play tactic", but what i don't understand is why right or wrong tactics turns into good or bad technical play by the players. I mean, fact is that (in this screen) Debrecen do one shot and get one goal. Can happen? Of course. But in this game happens too many times. I mean, bad tactic sometimes can turn intono bad performances...also in shoots, possession ecc ecc

You have it backwards.

Its not that a wrong tactic has resulted in 56 shots but that the fact that he has had 56 shots that makes it a bad tactic (At least for that match).

There is no such thing as a constant right tactic, a tactic can be good, bad or anything inbetween for a particular match against a particular opposition playing a particular formation with particular orders. Your job as manager is to tweak your overall approach to get the the best out of your tactic each match.

You have it backwards.

Its not that a wrong tactic has resulted in 56 shots but that the fact that he has had 56 shots that makes it a bad tactic (At least for that match).

There is no such thing as a constant right tactic, a tactic can be good, bad or anything inbetween for a particular match against a particular opposition playing a particular formation with particular orders. Your job as manager is to tweak your overall approach to get the the best out of your tactic each match.

Yeah, but in football generally 56 (fifty-six!) shots, 12 CCC, means you have played well. What's the point with the CCC if not to see how may clear occasions you're able to create? I understand that sometimes match like this can happen, but the point is that in this 2015 happens way too much. Surely Zio_Luca can do better, but i think that this not means that the game works well. I write about football, i love football, i can't remember match with this results and stats. Maybe one?

In my career i win every single match with a "plug & play tactic", but what i don't understand is why right or wrong tactics turns into good or bad technical play by the players.

We don't know this, we're assuming there were total sitters not taken (don't trust the CCC stat, even if it was accurate, about 33% of CCCs are converted in real football, no more). If you know what the tactical options do in FM, you understand that most importantly they influence a) how players position themselves. b) who gets on the end of things, who supports, and who covers attacking movement. c) what kind of chances are being created by whom. Keeping that in mind you can have tactics that encourage the AI to finish whatever little chances it has, as your positioning may make you far more prone to be hit on the counter (everyone rushing into the box). You can have tactics focus on a very one-dimensional chance creation, such as say through balls through the centre by having no wide players who are encouraged to cross or play angled through balls. You can further encourage all assists fueling a single finisher, such as a single forward who is always in the box alone. If he is out of form or frustrated or has similar issues, chance conversion will always suffer.

Naturally if you're the dominating team, you have to work for your chances whilst the opposition can hit you on the break; chance conversion of parking bus teams is higher by the definition and logics of the sports (far harder to score in a crowded box). I reverse judgement either, but if this is a common theme ("happens too many times"), it is likely totally related to tactics. Also read this thread, as there's a likelyhood that regardless of your perception your AI opponent's aren't as clinical in front of goal as you may think. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/303143-Why-is-the-AI-so-much-better-at-finishing Agree that matches in which one opponent is all over the other can happen too readily in FM, which could be related to how sensitive team instructions such as "drop deeper" would be. However the point is you don't know what shots were taken from which position, who took them, which kind of assists lead up to them and who covered those who took them. And that is totally 100% tactics. My experience is that there are download tactics that are very very suspect for such games, imo as they encourage BAD and hurried finishes, not good ones, and occasionally don#t even provide cover for the team that sits deep and whose only tactics is to hit you on the counter attack.

You don't know this, you're assuming there were total sitters not taken (don't trust the CCC stat, even if it was accurate, about 33% of CCCs are converted in real football, no more). If you know what the tactical options do in FM, you understand that most importantly they influence a) how players position themselves. b) who gets on the end of things, who supports, and who covers attacking movement. c) what kind of chances are being created by whom. Keeping that in mind you can have tactics that encourage the AI to finish whatever little chances it has, as your positioning may make you far more prone to be hit on the counter (everyone rushing into the box). You can have tactics focus on a very one-dimensional chance creation, such as say through balls through the centre by having no wide players who are encouraged to cross or play angled through balls. You can further encourage all assists fueling a single finisher, such as a single forward who is always in the box alone. If he is out of form or frustrated or has similar issues, chance conversion will always suffer.

Naturally if you're the dominating team, you have to work for your chances whilst the opposition can hit you on the break; chance conversion of parking bus teams is higher by the definition and logics of the sports (far harder to score in a crowded box). I reverse judgement either, but if this is a common theme ("happens too many times"), it is likely totally related to tactics. Also read this thread, as there's a likelyhood that regardless of your perception your AI opponent's aren't as clinical in front of goal as you may think. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/303143-Why-is-the-AI-so-much-better-at-finishing Agree that matches in which one opponent is all over the other can happen too readily in FM, which could be related to how sensitive team instructions such as "drop deeper" can be.

Thank you Svenc, really. I've got another point, if you can.

One - I found a tactic (i downloaded to learn something, i'm a "not so good player" also if i play by ten years) that make my team invincible. Litterally. I always win, i don't do nothing like OI or Team Talk, i don't care about form or injuries, i sell players without buying better players...and i win. I can't believe it, but i end cheering for my opponents, hoping to lose. That's killed my will to play. It's correct to think this and to think that it's a wrong Match Engine considering this? And can i think that when at first i lose with my tactic maybe it was not entirely my fault?

Not ironic, really. I need to understand, need to love this game again because really, it's the only game for me.

Thank you- also for your patience ;)

I have a small issue to report on. I think everyone knows that FM is pretty rubbish when it comes to predicting pre game odds, but it's also the case for... weather forecasts. Today, as I was playing my Dorchester game I've noticed a pre game forecast that said it will be 38 degrees CELSIUS on the day. I was like "WHAT?" and went to check the UK heat records and it's 38.5. And my game was actually on the first day of NOVEMBER. 3 days earlier it was 14 degrees. So I played the game to that day and it turned out it's 16 degrees on the match day, which is pretty hilarious. One of the most accurate forecasts I've ever seen :lol: As I said that's a small thing, together with match odds, but it would be for a better experiance if it would get changed somewhere along the way of more important fixes.

One - I found a tactic (i downloaded to learn something, i'm a "not so good player" also if i play by ten years) that make my team invincible. Litterally. I always win, i don't do nothing like OI or Team Talk, i don't care about form or injuries, i sell players without buying better players...and i win. I can't believe it, but i end cheering for my opponents, hoping to lose. That's killed my will to play. It's correct to think this and to think that it's a wrong Match Engine considering this? And can i think that when at first i lose with my tactic maybe it was not entirely my fault?

There have always been such tactics to various degrees. If you don't have fun anymore, don't use them. :-) Could be an engine fault (such as an unintentional positioning split in between centre backs a couple years ago that could be abused). But can also be related to an exploit the AI tactics don't cope with. As an example for that, in FM 2012 you could field 7 players including your full backs on defend duties (they always stayed back when you were attacking). But when itself was attacking, none of the AI tactics pushed enough players forward to break that massive defense down efficiently either. Additionally due to a marking issue, the 3 players of yours that did attack were too successful on the counter attack that followed. Basically what was missing was a way for the AI to acknowledge and adjust, however it's "but" an AI, as in any game... the accusations that it would cheat are therefore a tad silly. So could be something inherent with the engine, or related to AI limitations, or a combination.

Can you post this tactics?

There have always been such tactics to various degrees. If you don't have fun anymore, don't use them. :-) Could be an engine fault (such as an unintentional positioning split in between centre backs a couple years ago that could be abused). But can also be related to an exploit the AI tactics don't cope with. As an example for that, in FM 2012 you could field 7 players including your full backs on defend duties (they always stayed back when you were attacking). But when itself was attacking, none of the AI tactics pushed enough players forward to break that massive defense down efficiently either. Additionally due to a marking issue, the 3 players of yours that did attack were too successful on the counter attack that followed. Basically what was missing was a way for the AI to acknowledge and adjust, however it's "but" an AI, as in any game... the accusations that it would cheat are therefore a tad silly. So could be something inherent with the engine, or related to AI limitations, or a combination.

Can you post this tactics?

Don't remember where i found it, but remember the name. It's "Apex Predator", a plain 4-4-2. Thank you.

Any hopes that the AI will be improved with the new patch?

Surely i will not use it again, but play a game where i know that "the system" can be broken...you can understand. ;)

Just encountered another small bug, though this is miniscule.

I was approached by a variety of clubs at the end of the season. Please note, I di not apply for these vacancies.

At the second interview, they asked this question: "Why have you felt it acceptable to apply for a number of jobs whilst employed by another team throughout your career?"

I haven't and I don't. They approached me. Very small bug though so hardly a priority!

And? I am in the running for those jobs because of my work at my current club.

What do you mean and?

You complained that they are asking you about attending several interviews saying it was their fault for offering them.

Its not, its your fault for accepting them all and therefore the question is fair.

What do you mean and?

You complained that they are asking you about attending several interviews saying it was their fault for offering them.

Its not, its your fault for accepting them all and therefore the question is fair.

*naughty word* is it. The interview isn't mentioned at all!!!

Dear me, no wonder a lot of people stay out of GD. Absolutely pointless giving feedback.

More complaints about high numbers of shots in here, and again they stem from using downloaded tactics. The one mentioned above (Apex Predator) seems quite normal with Role / Duty selection, so it's a surprise to hear if it generates such a high shot count regularly.

My shot counts in my eighth season after 26 league games as a very strong Southampton side, with the AI in brackets:

11 (10), 17 (3), 6 (14), 15 (0), 18 (9), 23 (7), 16 (16), 23 (8), 18 (15), 16 (6), 16 (16), 17 (8), 15 (16), 14 (7), 21 (3), 18 (21), 15 (5), 20 (8), 26 (3), 14 (4), 25 (5), 7 (11), 4 (17), 21 (13), 11 (9), 13 (14).

WhoScored show current Premier League stats as this (around 13-17, let's call it 15, for top end sides):

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/4311/Stages/9155/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2014-2015

How do my stats compare?

I'm averaging 16.15, which is similar to Chelsea this season, and my opponents are averaging 9.54, which is very low.

Why post this? Because posting that "xx shots is too many, the game is broken" is laden with hyperbole. Pointing out single match shot counts has no statistical significance and you need to look at wider samples to get a true picture. Above all, if you have downloaded a system and it generates high shot counts, there's a really easy solution - don't use it.

I just played my first non-friendly match on FM15. I was up 2-0 and my opponents were down to 10 men. I ended up losing 3-2, with two disallowed goals (one was clearly an error). I hope that was just beginner's bad luck.

The game itself feels pretty slick. Scouting is the biggest improvement, and I like that we can disable attribute masking if we really want to. The things I wish would revert back to the way they were on prior versions are:

1. Tactics screen - Changing player roles is clunky. Should be able to change player roles on the right side of the screen with one click, without various submenus and boxes flying in and out of view.

2. Match fitness - Seems to be more volatile and precise, which just seems to encourage more micromanagement. The old system was less tedious to manage and still adequately reflected reality.

3. Player complaints about sold players - Should only happen if the player sold is one of the top CA/PA players on the team.

More complaints about high numbers of shots in here, and again they stem from using downloaded tactics. The one mentioned above (Apex Predator) seems quite normal with Role / Duty selection, so it's a surprise to hear if it generates such a high shot count regularly.

Why post this? Because posting that "xx shots is too many, the game is broken" is laden with hyperbole. Pointing out single match shot counts has no statistical significance and you need to look at wider samples to get a true picture. Above all, if you have downloaded a system and it generates high shot counts, there's a really easy solution - don't use it.

My point is not that with "Apex Predator" my team realize too many shots - that happens anyway, in the game.

Point is that with "Apex Predator" my team is invincible, i win always and it's boring. Of course i can avoid to use it, but the fact remain: can i enjoy to play a game when with the "right" tactic you can win regardless your ability and - top of that - the abilty of your players? And if i use a "wrong" tactic and lose it's my fault? Or just that i don't find the "right" cheat?

I love football, and i think that everybody will agree if i say that there is not a "right way to win": every tactic is good and every tactic is wrong, depends by your players skills, lucky, the day, all the casualties that make football exciting. Now i think i can say that if there is a "invincible" tactic the point of simulating football is missed.

Plus, sometimes my feeling is that players skills doesn't count. If i miss the tactic, seems that my players forget about how to play football. With the right tactic (like "Apex Predator" in my story) every sunday league footballer plays like Zidane. Surely sometimes FM players complain too much about winning, or losing, or shooting, or finalizing or something. But on the other side saying that this game doesn't need fix is, for me, wrong in the same way. My 2 cents, i'm not a great player and i know, but fact for me is not to win or lose (over 1000 hours in 2014, never won a Champions) but HOW this happens.

Again, sorry for my english, i hope that my idea is clear after all. ;)

I can't approach to sign players. Is this a known issue?
Need much more detail. Who are you managing? Where arevthe target players based? What's the in-game date; how long is left on their contract?

Another stupid question on another interview:

lfEw4w.png

Apparently, the answer "Because clubs keep approaching me, I am not applying." is not an option.

Of course not, that would be sensible.

It happens with most of the interactions, they tend to miss the obvious choice for a lot of things.

Whingy McTantipants: "Why didn't you sell me to [club]?"

Me: "Because they never made an offer, and the promise was that I wouldn't stand in the way if they did" <-Oops, not an option, how about a bunch of pointless aggressive options that won't help

Whingy McTantipants: "I'm telling the squad about this!"

My point is not that with "Apex Predator" my team realize too many shots - that happens anyway, in the game.

There's plenty of evidence that it doesn't happen 'anyway' but only under specific circumstances involving specific tactics. Which is an important distinction. If there were too many shots overall then it would be a ME issue. I'm pretty convinced there isn't one, apart from minor niggles. The issue is AI's use of tactics which is where the improvement has to come from. I just seriously hope the tactical flexibility of this ME isn't nerfed to cater for those who overpower the AI with attacking tactics. The ME itself is beautifully balanced.

There's plenty of evidence that it doesn't happen 'anyway' but only under specific circumstances involving specific tactics. Which is an important distinction. If there were too many shots overall then it would be a ME issue. I'm pretty convinced there isn't one, apart from minor niggles. The issue is AI's use of tactics which is where the improvement has to come from. I just seriously hope the tactical flexibility of this ME isn't nerfed to cater for those who overpower the AI with attacking tactics. The ME itself is beautifully balanced.

And maybe i'm wrong. Anyway, that's not the problem with the game for me.

I can't approach to sign players. Is this a known issue?

If you're managing in England, and are trying to sign players who also play in England, you can only approach to sign them 1 month before their contracts expire as opposed to the usual 6 months you can do with almost everyone else. Rubbish when you're trying to bring someone in, but on the flip side, it means your own players are more protected.

For example, in my current save, I have a centre half who is good for the division I'm in, but would probably be out of his depth in a higher league. I lost in the playoff final, so I offered him a new contract straight after it. If I was in another country, chances are he would have been approached in January and would have been away. So it can work both ways.

Cagliari Calcio in Serie A are another side that frequently uses a 4-3-3 (all forwards on attack) which is reflected in the results.

Cagliari is actually a bad example. Or a very good one indeed... Their (IRL former) manager, Zeman, is famous for his attacking tactics: he always use the same formation (4-3-3), direct passing, high tempo, aggressive pressing, offside trap... He's really one of a kind. "In 90 minutes you can score 90 goals", he once said.

Now, since I wasn't very happy with the formations in Serie A, I modified the database: every 3-x-x (in Italy) is now a 5-x-x, 4-3-1-2 is now 4-1-2-1-2, and so on. In Zeman's case, I wanted a formation to represent his attacking mentality, and I chose 4-1DM-2-3STC. I have 3 saves running (two in England and one in Italy) and Cagliari is doing wonders in all of them, scoring lots (as expected) and conceding much less than I expected.

So, it's a bad example because you'd expect them to play attacking football. It's a good example because you don't expect this kind of football to be successful.

Someone replied to Football Manager's tweet regarding a small hotfix for iOS, and asked about the PC one (hotfix). Was told next update will be Winter transfer one. Not sure if by "update" FM means big patch, or if indeed we have a few weeks longer to wait

Odd that they would actually go out and say that, but if they did, and it wasn't a slip of the tongue, then like I expected, the next update will indeed be the one that usually drops in about a months time.

Well, some clarification about that one would be quite nice.

It seems that my worries about the save game issue may well be true, and they don't class it as serious at all.

And how exactly are you adding 2 and 2 and getting 90 in this situation?

And how exactly are you adding 2 and 2 and getting 90 in this situation?

The tweet strongly suggests that they have already determined that there are no more updates prior to the winter transfer update, which is usually late February. It was the 28th for FM14, so that would place it more than a month from now it the same trend followed. At best it would be early February, though on past versions that seems unlikely. In such a case we can determine that there is at the very least almost certainly 2+ weeks to that update.

It is highly unlikely that if they were taking the save game issue so seriously that they'd rule out it being fixed and patched before then, whether it's fixed already or not. As such, if that information is true then that strongly suggests that the issue is not being taken seriously enough to hotfix prior to the winter update.

That was exactly the reason for all those posts. That was exactly why I was asking for an official response, and now it's being shown to be entirely valid.

Edit: If there was any time for an official response to this one, it would be now.

Why do you even think its important enough to be due a hotfix?

Why is it more important than any other bug fixes?

At the end of the day it works, you simply have to wait a little longer. At least IMO I certainly don't see it as an important fix and thats coming from someone who autosaves every game week.

The tweet strongly suggests that they have already determined that there are no more updates prior to the winter transfer update, which is usually late February. It was the 28th for FM14, so that would place it more than a month from now it the same trend followed. At best it would be early February, though on past versions that seems unlikely. In such a case we can determine that there is at the very least almost certainly 2+ weeks to that update.

It is highly unlikely that if they were taking the save game issue so seriously that they'd rule out it being fixed and patched before then, whether it's fixed already or not. As such, if that information is true then that strongly suggests that the issue is not being taken seriously enough to hotfix prior to the winter update.

That was exactly the reason for all those posts. That was exactly why I was asking for an official response, and now it's being shown to be entirely valid.

Edit: If there was any time for an official response to this one, it would be now.

:lol:

You're great value for this, really are. Better buy more tinfoil when you're next out, it seems to really be getting to you.

VVV

The save time issue is being taken seriously, we are not in a position to even suggest when an out of schedule update could be available for release because the issue is still being worked on.

The save time issue is being taken seriously, we are not in a position to even suggest when an out of schedule update could be available for release because the issue is still being worked on.

That's all well and good to keep saying, but with the issue persistent for the vast majority of FM15's release, and now official tweets suggesting that there are no plans for updates prior to the late February one, it would surely be nice for an official statement directly about this. Surely this is the kind of issue that there should be enough in the ways of plans to hitfix it that they would be aware that it is a significant possibility that there might be such an update prior to the late February one.

:lol:

You're great value for this, really are. Better buy more tinfoil when you're next out, it seems to really be getting to you.

VVV

Paying for faulty products does tend to bother me, yes.

Archived