*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
I've had 2 crashes in the first hour on Mac 10.8.2.

Changed the GPU to software in preferences which seemed to make it a bit snappier!

Then did a manual save, which crashed the game and now that save is corrupted.

Could you please raise this issue in the Mac Tech issues bugs forum here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/306-Mac-Specific-Issues

Thanks!

I'm actually surprised with the lack of bugs. Was expecting much more but I've only experienced minor ones so far.

Only problem I'm having is getting used to where everything is. But that will come with time. The games runs so well for me.

EDIT: I should add I have a new laptop so maybe that's why its running so well for me and not for others.

The reason why SI Games have not released a demo this year and instead released a BETA available only to people purchasing the game is as follows;

There has been minimal and i mean extremely minimal upgrades made to the key parts of the game which are the AI and the Match Engine. SI realise that this version is possibly the least improved version in a long time and they feel that if they were to put out a demo for free then a lot of users would see the lack of improvement and decide to not purchase the final game. Unfortunately SI Games have sold out since joining SEGA and instead of being a company who pride themselves on making a fun game available to avid football fans, they focus on making a product which appeals to the wider audience and advertise added features which effectively dont improve the game but they sound like big additions to new customers. Features such as job interviews and improved interface do nothing to improve the management experience for players like myself who have played the game for many years.

So the reason they have released the game in such a way this year is to guarantee sales because the product released is so poor and unimproved that sales would surely decline if users had a free demo to trial the game.

On a different note, I really hope that another company decides to exploit the football management game market. A company which is funded better and has much more staff. SI Games is run by one man and his dog and its hardly surprising that they cant release an improved product.

My final verdict..... another year of disappointment and not having a decent football management game to play. Its effectively the exact same game with the same AI and match engine that its had for 3 or 4 years and long term playability is very poor due to AI quality which dates back to the 90's.

Personally I think training works better now. Not only can you set 'team' training for your squad, match training is now integrated better into the whole system. You can increase the intensity for each week, remove rest days to increase the overall intensity and work on tactics (player roles) to allow them to be a ball-winning midfielder, limited defender etc.

Also you can assign specific individual training (which admittedly you could do before) - so shooting for a striker for example. The way in which we had a slightly different slider system potentially for every player just wasn't really realistic. Also this system depending on feedback has the opportunity to grow in future versions with feedback. With the previous one, in my opinion, I don't feel there was much we could have done with it in the same design. Obviously not everyone is going to agree, but we do ask for people to try it and see how they get on before judging it. Thanks.

well I tried and I cant get on with it especially due to the fact that I cannot even learn how to use this noew module since the manual is not up and the tutorial does not work....

The reason why SI Games have not released a demo this year and instead released a BETA available only to people purchasing the game is as follows;

There has been minimal and i mean extremely minimal upgrades made to the key parts of the game which are the AI and the Match Engine. SI realise that this version is possibly the least improved version in a long time and they feel that if they were to put out a demo for free then a lot of users would see the lack of improvement and decide to not purchase the final game. Unfortunately SI Games have sold out since joining SEGA and instead of being a company who pride themselves on making a fun game available to avid football fans, they focus on making a product which appeals to the wider audience and advertise added features which effectively dont improve the game but they sound like big additions to new customers. Features such as job interviews and improved interface do nothing to improve the management experience for players like myself who have played the game for many years.

So the reason they have released the game in such a way this year is to guarantee sales because the product released is so poor and unimproved that sales would surely decline if users had a free demo to trial the game.

On a different note, I really hope that another company decides to exploit the football management game market. A company which is funded better and has much more staff. SI Games is run by one man and his dog and its hardly surprising that they cant release an improved product.

My final verdict..... another year of disappointment and not having a decent football management game to play. Its effectively the exact same game with the same AI and match engine that its had for 3 or 4 years and long term playability is very poor due to AI quality which dates back to the 90's.

...but there's a demo out next week?

Personally I think training works better now. Not only can you set 'team' training for your squad, match training is now integrated better into the whole system. You can increase the intensity for each week, remove rest days to increase the overall intensity and work on tactics (player roles) to allow them to be a ball-winning midfielder, limited defender etc.

Also you can assign specific individual training (which admittedly you could do before) - so shooting for a striker for example. The way in which we had a slightly different slider system potentially for every player just wasn't really realistic. Also this system depending on feedback has the opportunity to grow in future versions with feedback. With the previous one, in my opinion, I don't feel there was much we could have done with it in the same design. Obviously not everyone is going to agree, but we do ask for people to try it and see how they get on before judging it. Thanks.

But there is far less scope for moulding youth into a given role. Sure you can set them to train for a poacher for example, but if he lacks pace you cannot train him to be a poacher AND work on his quickness.

Epic fail. :applause:

Don't let the facts interfere with an completely uninformed rant :D he probably saved that post from last year lol.

Haha, very true. Must be difficult trying to play any FM when you've got a torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other.

• Administrators
But there is far less scope for moulding youth into a given role. Sure you can set them to train for a poacher for example, but if he lacks pace you cannot train him to be a poacher AND work on his quickness.

That's the kind of feedback we're prefer to be honest - we'd like to hear how you think we can improve it :thup:

I have done another edit to the background pic and the result is its a lot less "white" and bright. Mcuh easyer on the eyes, see what you think

http://imageshack.us/a/img846/6510/lesswhite.jpg < full size

lesswhite.jpg

If you like it and want be to upload it, just say.

Many thanks.

You really need to add that this skin will not work if your playing . FMC its only for the full game mode

Another quick question.

Normally when you sign players you get to the bit where the player has agreed the contract and you get final say but in two instances in my Rangers game, my Head of Youth Development has confirmed the contract on my behalf. I'm not really fussed as I was going to sign them anyway but I'm worried it might set a precedence and the say is taken out of my hands. Don't have any Director of Football or anything of the sort so I'm going on the idea I should have final say.

Both the players were younger (<21) so I'm guessing fall under the guy's remit and indeed a player who was older I did get to sign off on. Just wondering why the Head of Youth Development is doing this. Can they go out and sign players for the youth team without consulting me?

This is so full of fail. As people have said there's a demo next week! This is a beta to help test the game!

Yes you could argue that the ME has not improved that much but I am not sure about that; SI needed to and have made the game more immersive. As players get older and the base of their fans changes they need to respond to that, they cannot just look after "avid football fans" and do need to appeal to "a wider audience" otherwise they would stagnate. They have stated that they will look at the ME for future releases albeit not what you want at the moment.

This iteration has new features for older players who cannot spend their time playing as once they could so they have introduced FMC and Challenges that also appeals to new and old players alike.

Not sure about minimal changes to AI and do not understand what you are getting at there. As for this "SI Games is run by one man and his dog" that is just nonsense and you show a lack of understanding regardless of how long you have played the game. If it was an insult then it is badly judged in my view.

Obviously this FM is not for you but you do have previous FM's to keep you occupied so all is not lost.

As to competition, well "better funded and much more staff" for a niche game! Hopefully competition yes, but you need a doze of realism if you think that in these constrained financial times a competitor is going to throw unlimited funds and resources on this type of game; you live in hope.

Anyway, life can throw up unexpected things so you never know what the final version may look like!!

Noticed a couple of issues with ball physics. Some people occasionally head the ball BACKWARDS for no reason, despite their animation clearly showing an attempt at a forward header. :thdn:

Also, players running with the ball have an unrealistic tendency to trip over the ball and lose possession or to pass it to a player who apparently just stares at the ball, dumbstruck, as it bounces off his shin. :thdn:

Aside from this, the ball physics and animations (with the exception of the gentle pass animation, which is just the normal pass animation but slowed right down) are a great improvement! :thup:

The ball speed especially seems to have been increased for powerful shots, causing them to really rifle into the back of the net! :thup:

Plus, the new pop-ups in game are very useful...it would be nice if there was a "do that then" button on some of them.

E.g: "we should play more direct football" is very useful advice, but to then have to navigate into the tactics menu just to change that one thing seems a bit long-winded when it's meant to be your Assistant standing next to you in the technical area telling you this. In real life, you'd say "good idea, lets do that".

The new training module is dumbed down cookie cutter options that looks like it only had 5 minutes spent on it and would be better off in FM Handheld.

It completely destroys player choice, has no depth whatsoever, lacks information and context, no longer rewards those who have understanding and the ability to correctly build their training for their philosophy and is deeply flawed at a very basic level.

It is like if SI removed all the tactical options and made everyone pick from a handful of pre-set tactics. Don't have a target man? Too bad, all of the pre-set tactics require one. Want to play 5-4-1? Sorry, we didn't include that option. This is the same but for training.

In an area where coaches like Mourihno and Biesla take ever increasing input and depth in their own training, and in an area where countries like Australia lead the world in personalised sports science based training and medical programs this is a backward step for a game that claims to be a simulation.

The worst part is that it could easily have been put into the game in the new FM Casual mode.

Instead SI have for some idiotic reason decided that they are going to destroy the full version's training system as well.

Why are SI introducing new features with the 'opportunity to grow'? SI already have enough problems with horrible defensive AI, horrible board AI, horrible squad management & squad building for the AI. SI should either be fixing existing broken modules or only introducing new ones that have no flaws at all.

If you assign specific training for shooting, your player isn't training in a 'role' so he's doing garbage generic training that is going to wreck his development.

The player has no idea what an actual training 'role' is training the player in. Is it training strength at medium? or high? No-one knows. Because SI have removed that choice and that decision and even the visibility of what SI's cookie-cutter options are training a player in.

Does your defender need to shoot? Good luck, because SI don't consider shooting in any way a key attribute for any of the defensive roles. And since SI have linked the 'roles' to the training cookie-cutter options, none of the training options for a defender will include enough shooting training to help it at all.

So pick shooting as an individual focus then! What's the point? This consigns the player to random generic training, and focusing on an attribute that his overall training doesn't even bother with. He's not going to improve it.

Just one example of how this deeply flawed module is taking the game backwards just so SI and Sega can cater to the idiots and morons who couldn't spend 5 minutes learning how to do training (in the god knows how many years since it was introduced).

Another example is how youth players are going to be destroyed by this cookie-cutter setup because of how generic they are. When you come across a player who doesn't fit those generic schedules they'll get killed by them.

Want to train a gifted technical 15 year old youngster so he can grow physically? You can't. Because there's no such 'role' as physical training. And even if there is a 'focus' for the team itself, what happens if the rest of your team are already 17 year old physical brutes that you are attempting to teach how to play technically? You can't do both.

Want to focus your team on high pressing and ball control? You can't. All your players are stuck on the same cookie cutter generic templates. You can't modify them. You can't decide to care more about speed than stamina by dropping strength training in favour of more aerobic. SI have stolen that option from you.

Flaw after flaw after flaw.

The obvious solution would have been to keep the slider system in place, but allow people to use 'role' based schedules should they wish, while keeping the new additions (despite how flawed they are) with the increased micro-management of game-day/match training. Instead they ripped out the slider system completely.

This is an incredibly poor development decision from SI and one that they must fix as soon as possible by reintroducing the in-depth training system from FM12 and earlier.

FM 13 is going to be the death of true Football Manager in a sea of casual gaming, micropayment cheats and DLCs. The way SI are going they might as well rip out the full game and just replace it with FM Casual as the only choice in FM 14.

• Administrators
Another quick question.

Normally when you sign players you get to the bit where the player has agreed the contract and you get final say but in two instances in my Rangers game, my Head of Youth Development has confirmed the contract on my behalf. I'm not really fussed as I was going to sign them anyway but I'm worried it might set a precedence and the say is taken out of my hands. Don't have any Director of Football or anything of the sort so I'm going on the idea I should have final say.

Both the players were younger (<21) so I'm guessing fall under the guy's remit and indeed a player who was older I did get to sign off on. Just wondering why the Head of Youth Development is doing this. Can they go out and sign players for the youth team without consulting me?

It's listed in your staff responsibilities - essentially yes they can, so make sure you have things set up as you want so you don't get any surprises!

Been playing the beta and only major bug that I have noticed is the camera angles for the matches. When I first loaded it up the resolution was set to only take up part of the screen, I played like this for a few matches in which I could chose any camera angle I wanted for the matches. However, since changing the resolution to full screen I can only view the match in 2D mode and all unable to select any others. Is anyone else having this problem?

I do wish that telling my DoF "accept any price for this player" didn't mean "always let this player go for nothing". Surely we can expect DoF's to use a BIT of common sense without having to set a restrictive acceptable lowest bid?

That's the kind of feedback we're prefer to be honest - we'd like to hear how you think we can improve it :thup:

Well one of the things I enjoy the most from FM games is taking a raw youth with potential and moulding him with precise training to fit in to a particular role. in FM2012 this was done with a training schedule and training focus. You could set them on a custom schedule for Ball Winning Midfielder for example, knowing they would be increasing the requires attributes but if the one thing he lacked was strength, you could set him to focus on that heavily. I used to spend time at the end of every season checking what each youth player was focusing on and adjusting where necessary.

With this system you can still set him to work as a Ball Winning Midfielder, but if he lacks strength still, you'll have to change him to work on strength at the expense of him not working to be a BWM.

I understand the new system is more user friendly and I like it. I just wish you could set them to train for their respective positions as well as getting them to focus a bit more on one particular attribute. It just seems like one small level of detail has been stripped.

I do wish that telling my DoF "accept any price for this player" didn't mean "always let this player go for nothing". Surely we can expect DoF's to use a BIT of common sense without having to set a restrictive acceptable lowest bid?

Bugs forum, please.

Loving the game so far. Just could not get into FM 2012 for some reason so i decided to take a complete break from FM for a year.

Its worked wonders as i now have my usual passion for the game again. Really like the new UI also.

Quick question: How do I ask one of my backroom staff to pick my first eleven? FM12 had the drop down menu where you chose the staff member. This FM seems to have differing options non of which show the backroom staff. Is it my settings?

help please and thanks.

• Administrators
Well one of the things I enjoy the most from FM games is taking a raw youth with potential and moulding him with precise training to fit in to a particular role. in FM2012 this was done with a training schedule and training focus. You could set them on a custom schedule for Ball Winning Midfielder for example, knowing they would be increasing the requires attributes but if the one thing he lacked was strength, you could set him to focus on that heavily.

With this system you can still set him to work as a Ball Winning Midfielder, but if he lacks strength still, you'll have to change him to work on strength at the expense of him not working to be a BWM.

I understand the new system is more user friendly and I like it. I just wish you could set them to train for their respective positions as well as getting them to focus a bit more on one particular attribute. It just seems like one small level of detail has been stripped.

Well you can, setting his tactical role (say as a poacher) will help him improve his ability as a poacher. That's how it works. :)

• Administrators
Quick question: How do I ask one of my backroom staff to pick my first eleven? FM12 had the drop down menu where you chose the staff member. This FM seems to have differing options non of which show the backroom staff. Is it my settings?

help please and thanks.

On the tactics screen next to 'Show Filters' is 'Ask to Pick'.

First impressions: So far, it looks very good. I like the new interface, though I still want to be able to use my 180*140 pictures properly.

Oh, and how do I make my middle mouse button to get to the first team squad? If I try and do it in the short cut page in preferences, it goes to the default home screen when I press the button in order to choose it's new binding.

On the tactics screen next to 'Show Filters' is 'Ask to Pick'.

Ahh you have to go into custom rules, duh, did not spot that nice addittion with the extra boxes re age/status so on and so forth...:)

Well you can, setting his tactical role (say as a poacher) will help him improve his ability as a poacher. That's how it works. :)

You can't train an attribute at the same time you set a player to train in his role.

So no, you can't do what Tiger is asking for. Because you've taken away that option from the users.

He wants to train an attribute while training as a poacher.

You can't do that.

If you pick an attribute he gets stuck on garbage generic training.

If you pick a role then you can't focus on an attribute. Which I'm sure is totally realistic. Hey Rooney, I want you to train as a deep lying forward. Rooney does, but suddenly finds himself unable to keep practising taking penalties.

Do you even understand your own training module?

Well one of the things I enjoy the most from FM games is taking a raw youth with potential and moulding him with precise training to fit in to a particular role. in FM2012 this was done with a training schedule and training focus. You could set them on a custom schedule for Ball Winning Midfielder for example, knowing they would be increasing the requires attributes but if the one thing he lacked was strength, you could set him to focus on that heavily. I used to spend time at the end of every season checking what each youth player was focusing on and adjusting where necessary.

Probably the best post i read about the new training regime! :thup:

100% agree with this! :)

Love the tactics screen where you highlight a player on the pitch and a box comes up re role and duty and the option to switch to other players that also show their abilities at that position..lovely addition so many hidden gems!

Just to confirm (because if so this for me will be massively positive) players now "learn on the job" so to speak? If I play a youngster in a position he's unfamiliar with, he'll learn it through game time in the same way he would previously need to be trained in a new position?

Yes. I understand that. However if, as a poacher, they STILL could use just a bit more pace, you cannot keep them training as a poacher AND focus specifically on quickness.

Defenders in real life would not have the same training as strikers. This is catered for in-game by setting their tactical role. That's fine. BUT if a defender in real life needs to bulk up a bit, he would do the same training as his other defender team mates but would also devote a portion of his training in the gym bulking up. It's this personal training that's missing.

But you must agree that, for example, you could have two players in your squad both training as poacher, but one needs a little bit more intensity in strenght training and the other needs a little bit more intensity in speed training.

I believe this was the "next level" that Tiger666 was talking about. :)

Yes. I understand that. However if, as a poacher, they STILL could use just a bit more pace, you cannot keep them training as a poacher AND focus specifically on quickness.

That is correct. Neil doesn't understand his own training module properly.

You can't do both.

Your player can pick generic training that could be the exact same training a central defender is doing, or he can train in his 'role' but can't be bothered training just a little bit harder in a certain attribute.

Posting here because I don't think this is a bug, just me missing the obvious. I have a Director of Football who hunts down potential loans for me to approve. When one is brought to my attention, I want to know how much of the player's wages I will have to pay (playing with a cash-strapped club and so don't want to pay anything). I can't find this information. Twice now, I've approved the loan and found out after the fact I was paying 100% of the wages. I've approved because this is a beta; if I didn't have more info in a "real" game, I'd probably cancel the loan if I had no info on wages. Am I missing something re: wages and loans suggested by DoF?

May have been noted before scout assignments aren't working for me managing Northern Ireland and Fulham. When I try to set an assignment on the international scout pages it only has my club scouts and trying to open assignments on an international staff members profile caused a crash dump. Hope that's clear

Archived