Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penalties were a stroke of luck (which never happens) but the performance was fantastic. Looked liked they played for AW today. Glad to know the Arteta-Wilshere-Cazorla midfield actually clicked like we all expected it too. Finishing only negative.

My nephew loved the match, and the stadium. Arsenal, and Wilshere in particular, were fantastic and should have won by another couple of goals. Both penalties looked dives at the match, but we're about to get a closer look on MotD to see if they were as clear-cut as they looked at the time.

Doing a stadium tour tomorrow. :cool:

You can add Santi to your 'Diving **** List', not The Ox though.Is your nephew an Arsenal fan?
Yeah, his dad's a big Arsenal fan and it's rubbed off on him. Dad lives in America now, so it was up to me to take him to a game, and he was absolutely made up. Love myself a trip to the Emirates, too.

Pleased with the win, and performance was good, couldnt care less how we get the points or how we get the goals, aslong as we get em:o, theres been times for every team where we/they should of had penalties given but not got them, and as they say it usually balances out over the season.

Rosenborg can be added to your diving list. Chamberlain clearly did not dive :D

Who said the midfield 3 cannot work? Still think the same now?

Yeah I said it; I wait for it to work consistently but that move between the 3 of them was jizz worthy tbh .

Hmm..no talk of who the new Arsenal's manager's going to be? (just saw fist post on the previous page)

I admit not following WBA too closely, but they looked really poor today plus they learned no lessons from our games vs Everton and Swansea, did not press us high and generally were too cautious. So I wouldn't say this game proves anything in terms of us being back to our normal form, apart from the fact that some players surely looked better after some rest.

I can perfectly understand if WBA fans were upset after this, even though it was clear which team was better for entire 90 minutes.

We will be playing better sooner or later, as has been said by a lot of people here. The problem is, when and if it is a case of tactics and team selection how quickly Wenger will make the adjustments. I know he will but the thing is for it not to be too late. Cazorla being tried on the wing for a couple of minutes may be a sign he realizes we may need to change the mid 3 setup or at least have more options.

Just 2 of the teams above us (apart from the top 3 ofc) are likely to be any problem in the long run, no disrespect to the likes of WBA or West Ham), so it is really down to us to be in the top 4.

Boruc there, totally forgot about it :D Such a shame he didn't make his funny 'L'* gesture after this late, mistimed and completely unnecessary challenge that gave Eduardo a good reason to fall and claim a penalty.

*Legia Warsaw

It was just good to see us playing again. Haven't seen it for a long time. You can talk about the 'classic' Arsenal faults, not defending so well, not liking the physical game, having no plan B etc, (this wan't the case today) but at the least you expect Arsenal to have good possession, pass-move, and create chances, we haven't seen that lately and it was very strange to watch.

Today was much improved. Only one game, but back on the right tracks.

incidentally, heard a few pundits, when talking about where we need to strengthen, mention a new Goalkeeper along with the more obvious areas. This and the apparent Reina interest raises the question, Most Arsenal fans are happy with and rate Szchesny right? I know I am.

Yes I rate Woj and would only happily see him replaced by someone like Lloris, bit late though now. Reina would be a waste of money and I would be unhappy if he were to join, the risk is not worth it for a player who can't stand out as a top performer for the Liverpool side. Reina is definitely not significantly better than Woj and at £10-20million and the added bonus of hindering Woj's development I'm not seeing a whole lot of attraction.

I want to see us sign a top striker, the difference it would make would be vital, had we had someone out there who could get it in the net we would have had at least 2 goals from open play.

I see that we're being linked today with West Ham's Diame. A confirmed buyout clause of £3.5m and he has the same agent as Demba Ba, which could simplify such a deal.

I was really pleased to see Cazorla play out wide for a few minutes. I'd been saying for a while on twitter that I would be interested to see how he played on the left; partly because Gervinho hasn't impressed me and Podolski has been inconsistent on that flank, but also because it frees up a midfield position for someone with a little more physical presence (Diaby when fit, or similar new signing).

It was a dive. I prefer it if our players don't dive but ultimately I am not going to complain and expect them to not do it when everyone else is. They shouldn't be banned for it either imo as it is no worse than any other cheating in the game.

Gervinho had a mixed game yesterday he was a constant threat but also useless in front of goal. Hunterlaar isn't what we need imo. Good goalscorer but he is just that.

Demba Ba's knee would clearly implode upon signing a contract with us. Diame if cheap would add strength to our midfield when needed.

It turns out that the story that Ba and Diame sharing an agent is false. Typical lazy journalism that a quick check on transfermarkt would have avoided. I still feel they're both good value given their release clauses.

It's also interesting to see a lot of speculation surrounding M'Biwa. He's certainly a class defender, but considering that we've just offered Djourou an extension I think it's probably the usual wild transfer speculation to get readers around this time of year.

It was a dive ffs.
It was a dive. I prefer it if our players don't dive but ultimately I am not going to complain and expect them to not do it when everyone else is. They shouldn't be banned for it either imo as it is no worse than any other cheating in the game.

Gervinho had a mixed game yesterday he was a constant threat but also useless in front of goal. Hunterlaar isn't what we need imo. Good goalscorer but he is just that.

Demba Ba's knee would clearly implode upon signing a contract with us. Diame if cheap would add strength to our midfield when needed.

Is this a wind up?

When the defender tried to kick in the end of the replay, you see his boot touched Cazorla's knee. Cazorla might feel it and decided to fall. Or it touched the sock, and Cazorla still decided to fall. In the former case, it wasn't a dive; in the latter case, it was.

When the defender tried to kick in the end of the replay, you see his boot touched Cazorla's knee. Cazorla might feel it and decided to fall. Or it touched the sock, and Cazorla still decided to fall. In the former case, it wasn't a dive; in the latter case, it was.

Just because there is contact doesn't mean it's not a dive/cheating

After Cazorla feinted to the right, you see that his knee was touched by the point of the boot.

His knee? His foot is only a couple of inches off the ground and you can see his toe flick out just as his studs glance over the top of Cazorla's boot. There is the very slightest of contact to cause the boot to flick out as he clips him so it's not the case of 2 feet away like Hansen claimed on MOTD, but he made a meal of the slightest touch and dived.

Why is this even an argument? There was no where near enough contact for Cazorla to fall or for it to be a foul. Cazorla conned the ref, and it worked. As far as we're concerned, we should concentrate on the positive, and that was the much improved performance by our team.

It turns out that the story that Ba and Diame sharing an agent is false. Typical lazy journalism that a quick check on transfermarkt would have avoided. I still feel they're both good value given their release clauses.

It's also interesting to see a lot of speculation surrounding M'Biwa. He's certainly a class defender, but considering that we've just offered Djourou an extension I think it's probably the usual wild transfer speculation to get readers around this time of year.

Eh? Didn't we give him a new contract back in Feb/March? I'm sure I remember general consternation/fury in last season's thread.

Arsenal down to 7th, possibly 8th if West Ham hold on. However 2 points of 4th spot. 2 points!!!!! 5 points off 3rd with 22 games left.

I'm not saying that 4th or 3rd is all we should want, but it puts things in perspective.

We are 28 off 1st though, or something....

Eh? Didn't we give him a new contract back in Feb/March? I'm sure I remember general consternation/fury in last season's thread.

Well yeah I suppose it's a while ago now actually, but what I meant was we're hardly going to add another CB when we already have 5 on our books and the 2nd worst of them has been awarded an extension...unless we're finally seeing the back of Squillaci :D

Archived