Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Dont think it will matter to much to be honest, even if we was to beat Olympiakos, i can still see Schalke beating Montpellier in Montpellier, would rather us rest our players and try to aim for a good result at the weekend against West brom, we are through now anyway to the knockout stages, regardless of finishing 1st or 2nd, we wont be getting much further.

You guys are amusing picking your fantasy spurs/arsenal teams, probably would of helped at the start of it if you had assigned rules in regards to whether you was deciding them on current past/form, possible future potential, overall career stats, valuation etc.

As usual though you all seem to feel the need to argue over something so silly :rolleyes:

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is going on whit Johan Djourou? He's not in the squad for Olympiakos, is not reported as injured. IIRC he played for Switzerland recently.

Wenger wants him to commit to a new £70k a week deal before he'll play him.

the whole arsenal spurs thing was sort of my fault,what i meant by it was that your squad really isnt that good and therefore 4th place is the best you should be aiming for.think this season with the current squad youve got 5th or 6th is a more realistic aim.

the whole arsenal spurs thing was sort of my fault,what i meant by it was that your squad really isnt that good and therefore 4th place is the best you should be aiming for.think this season with the current squad youve got 5th or 6th is a more realistic aim.

I am sorry but that isn't accurate. This squad is better than last season tbh. The issue is it is more unbalanced and players are horrifically lacking in belief.

I am sorry but that isn't accurate. This squad is better than last season tbh. The issue is it is more unbalanced and players are horrifically lacking in belief.

The squad might be better but the team isn't due to the fact we don't have RVP to bail us out of games like the ones against Everton, Villa and Norwich. Giroud is good but he isn't the kind of striker that can win a game on his own. Cazorla is great he can't carry us higher like Cesc did at one point.

What is going on whit Johan Djourou? He's not in the squad for Olympiakos, is not reported as injured. IIRC he played for Switzerland recently.

The most sickening part is that the “Manager” rewarded Johan Djourou’s inept performances with a contract extension last February. Wenger decided that we could afford to pay Djourou £60k a week until summer 2015.

That’s £3,120,000 per season wasted on a player who offers no value to the club.

The renewal of Djourou contract was the final straw for me as it proved beyond any reasonable doubt that Wenger unfit to continue in his position.

The squad might be better but the team isn't due to the fact we don't have RVP to bail us out of games like the ones against Everton, Villa and Norwich. Giroud is good but he isn't the kind of striker that can win a game on his own. Cazorla is great he can't carry us higher like Cesc did at one point.

True. The bigger issue is and RVP wouldn't help; the midfield isn't functioning that is the issue at the moment. Wilshere, arteta, cazorla combination just doesn't work imo

I don't think anyone is trying to rewrite history and claim Wenger hasn't been good for us in the past. We're saying he's not good for us now or the future....

If you read the link it explains how he's also been performing excellently in the trophyless era, the problem is that the board isn't investing enough money. Of course this is all very theoretical but it's interesting non the less.

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/how-much-money-would-it-take-to-bring-arsenal-level-with-the-big-spenders/

This link states that using those indexes, Arsenal would require a £215m one time investment in the squad in order to compete with the Manchesters/Chelsea, however Wenger adds so much value that we would "only" need to invest £120m, which when you think about it sounds about right.

If you read the link it explains how he's also been performing excellently in the trophyless era, the problem is that the board isn't investing enough money. Of course this is all very theoretical but it's interesting non the less.

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/how-much-money-would-it-take-to-bring-arsenal-level-with-the-big-spenders/

This link states that using those indexes, Arsenal would require a £215m one time investment in the squad in order to compete with the Manchesters/Chelsea, however Wenger adds so much value that we would "only" need to invest £120m, which when you think about it sounds about right.

Precisely this point.

All the arguments about Wenger no longer being good enough are a complete red herring. The unavoidable truth is that the face of football has changed since the invincible era. Money now rules, and if you don't have a sugar daddy bankrolling your team or huge corporate sponsorship deals to support massive investment in players then you can't compete at the very top level. The likes of Abramovic have blown teams like Arsenal out of the water.

Anyone advocating sacking Wenger needs to look at the types of precedence set by other clubs who choose to do the same when they're unhappy with a manager. Liverpool have spiralled down the table despite major financials investment, which can in part be attributed to management instability. Chelsea are a very volatile club that's never at rest despite the mammoth spending on player's transfer fees and wages. And the same pattern continues throughout the leagues. The worst performing teams have the highest rates of managerial turnover. That can't be a coincidence.

Rather than saying that Wenger isn't good enough, ask yourself objectively who is better? I'd probably say only Ferguson and Mourinho but neither of those are viable alternatives. You then move on to the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Lowe. The latter two are very settled and unlikely to want to come, Pep is having a break and is being hotly pursued by Chelsea who we can't compete with on a financial level. It's only when you look at the likes of Moyes and perhaps Pardew that you start touching on viable replacements, but none represent a better alternative than Wenger.

I could go on and on but I'll cut it off there for now!

Giving Wenger a pass based on a lack of investment would be a red herring too, the truth is Arsenals squad is much better than some of the teams that have beaten them and their squad is much better than their current league table position and that is not the board's fault.

Precisely this point.

All the arguments about Wenger no longer being good enough are a complete red herring. The unavoidable truth is that the face of football has changed since the invincible era. Money now rules, and if you don't have a sugar daddy bankrolling your team or huge corporate sponsorship deals to support massive investment in players then you can't compete at the very top level. The likes of Abramovic have blown teams like Arsenal out of the water.

Anyone advocating sacking Wenger needs to look at the types of precedence set by other clubs who choose to do the same when they're unhappy with a manager. Liverpool have spiralled down the table despite major financials investment, which can in part be attributed to management instability. Chelsea are a very volatile club that's never at rest despite the mammoth spending on player's transfer fees and wages. And the same pattern continues throughout the leagues. The worst performing teams have the highest rates of managerial turnover. That can't be a coincidence.

Rather than saying that Wenger isn't good enough, ask yourself objectively who is better? I'd probably say only Ferguson and Mourinho but neither of those are viable alternatives. You then move on to the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Lowe. The latter two are very settled and unlikely to want to come, Pep is having a break and is being hotly pursued by Chelsea who we can't compete with on a financial level. It's only when you look at the likes of Moyes and perhaps Pardew that you start touching on viable replacements, but none represent a better alternative than Wenger.

I could go on and on but I'll cut it off there for now!

None of this explains why he played Bendtner on the wing and numerous other players out of position. Tactically, Wenger is inept.

The trio has and can worked. The issue is that Arteta is knackered and in a poor run of form. And RvP makes a massive difference. We beat Villa and Norwich with him in the side.
Disagree. Arteta is too exposed as a lone holding mid and wilshere and cazorla don't contribute enough defensively for there to be enough balance. RVP wouldn't have scored for us this season against Norwich or villa as we didn't create enough in either match hence he doesn't make a difference. @dale those deal with those last few seasons and clearly show he is an excellent manager however this season he has significantly under performed especially when you consider how the team was to begin with
None of this explains why he played Bendtner on the wing and numerous other players out of position. Tactically, Wenger is inept.

I can't remember that happening. When are you talking about? I bet if you looked at fixture congestion, injury list etc. you'd see an explanation. If you can tell me the game I'll gladly try and see the logic in it.

Take the flack he got for replacing Giroud with Coquelin the other week against Villa. People perceived it to be a negative step because it replaced a striker with a DM, but in actual fact it just meant that Arshavin could play out on the left and in turn Gervinho could be moved into the striking role. It didn't make us anymore defensive, what it did was replace a tired Giroud with a kick of pace down the middle and an out and out defensive midfielder to free up those beyond him.

Disagree. Arteta is too exposed as a lone holding mid and wilshere and cazorla don't contribute enough defensively for there to be enough balance. RVP wouldn't have scored for us this season against Norwich or villa as we didn't create enough in either match hence he doesn't make a difference. @dale those deal with those last few seasons and clearly show he is an excellent manager however this season he has significantly under performed especially when you consider how the team was to begin with
an Arteta/Wilshere pivot could work if they had a reasonably fast player with a bit of workrate infront of them, someone in a similar mold to say Ramires or Perrotta (back when he was still good and running all over the place), an injury free and in form Abou Diaby could probably be that missing link and play such a role....but as we all know, his "fitness" will stop that from ever happening

Totally agree with the Arteta thing, as ive been saying he should be the balance, not the sole guy we rely on to win that ball back in midfield, personally i think if we went 41212 we could have pod/walcott in a more central preferred role, we could have Cazorla just behind them with Arteta/Wilshere sitting behind him then till we buy someone suitable for that anchorman behind them use Coquelin or Vermaelen, especially as vermaelen seems to like to get forward alot this season exposing the back 4 when he does, though if you watch Kosh when hes been in for Vermaelen he does the same thing, im thinking its part of wengers orders or something for one of them to get forward as much as they can to help with the attacking play.

Looking forward to tonights game, i know our chances of a good result are lessened with so many first teamers missing, but it will be nice to see some of those youth prospects we have.

Heard a few people on the bus just now praising Piers Morgan, saying he's spot on in saying that we could easily replace Wenger with Guardiola, Mourinho or Klopp :D :D Guardiola or Mourinho aren't going to sign up knowing they could get the United, City or Chelsea job any season now, and Klopp isn't going to ditch a Dortmund side that if groomed right can easily become the best team in Europe.

****ing Hell. Squillaci, Gervinho and Chamakh all starting. At least Meade is playing over Santos. At least it's only Roy Caroll in goal.

ARSENAL v Olympiakos: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Squillaci, Vermaelen, Meade; Rosicky, Coquelin; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Gervinho; Chamakh

Shea, Angha, Hajrovic, Monteiro, Ansah, Arshavin and Akpom on the bench

Worst bench we've ever put out in a CL game?

Ha, ironically the only 2 games I've seen Carroll play for Olympiacos, he's had absolute blinders. Both against Rubin Kazan, but he got that team through single handedly.

Gervinho is so useless.

Its his indecisiveness, if he just made up his mind what hes going to do quicker he would be alot better, with the goal there he did the right thing atlast and played rosicky instead of the more obvious Ramsey.

Pretty decent first half for the team thats been fielded, Chamakh winning the ball in the air and getting in good positions, Vermaelen having a good game at the back, Squillaci looks ok, ramsey and rosicky doing well in the middle.

That's why the team can't gel, Chamakh's used it all.

Lol take it you just saw the hair comment on ITV? made me laugh specially when Gervinho appeared from behind him and he made the remark about anyone having stranger hair than cham:lol:

Archived