Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Well yeah I suppose it's a while ago now actually, but what I meant was we're hardly going to add another CB when we already have 5 on our books and the 2nd worst of them has been awarded an extension...unless we're finally seeing the back of Squillaci :D

Ah, from the phrasing I thought you meant he was in the process of signing another deal. Yeah, I'd be surprised if we signed any defenders in January. Possibly a left-back, but I doubt it.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much competition do you need though when you've got one of the leagues best backups in Fabianski and one of the best 3rd choices in Mannone. Not to mention the other goalkeepers we have.

I think GK is by far the position that would frustrate me most if we added to.

Is this... serious?

I guess it is. I don't see what is so shocking about that, it's almost as if you'd think we have a goalkeeper crisis. I thought the days of begging for a new GK were over? Do you want to see £10-20million spent on a risk like Reina?

It was the point as which you said you have one of the best backups :lol:

Fabianski would be a fine back up keeper if it wasn't always injured. Mannone is a standard 3rd choice keeper not bad for that role but because of Fabianski is pretty much 2nd choice

This is disregarding the idea that Woj needs competition but Fabianski could provide that I suppose in theory.

Arsenal down to 7th, possibly 8th if West Ham hold on. However 2 points of 4th spot. 2 points!!!!! 5 points off 3rd with 22 games left.

I'm not saying that 4th or 3rd is all we should want, but it puts things in perspective.

We are 28 off 1st though, or something....

Yup, despite all the doom and gloom about our worst start under Wenger, the actual gap between all the teams occupying 3rd - 11th is very few points.

Stat Attack: After 16 games last year we occupied 5th, trailing 4th place Chelsea by 3 points and 3rd place Sp*rs (who had a game in hand, having played 15 games) by 5 points. That means this year we're actually 1 point closer to 4th than we were at this stage last year and need the same 5 points to get to 3rd, but 3rd place Chelsea don't have that game in hand that Sp*rs did.

Szczesny is the first half decent number one we have had in the past decade.

Reina would have been a good signing a few years back but splashing money on him now would be quite bizarre.

I hope Fabianski never wears an Arsenal shirt again, he is an absolute shambles of a goalkeeper but there must be better value around.

It was the point as which you said you have one of the best backups :lol:

Strange. I thought people valued Fabianski's as one of the leagues best backups and the only better options were the likes of Lindegaard, 21 caps for Poland isn't bad and I think he is solid as a No2. I guess the injury thing stands but then that comes down to a question of selling him to make room.

Strange. I thought people valued Fabianski's as one of the leagues best backups and the only better options were the likes of Lindegaard, 21 caps for Poland isn't bad and I think he is solid as a No2. I guess the injury thing stands but then that comes down to a question of selling him to make room.

To be fair im not Fabs biggest fan but as a backup hes better than a lot of others, Spurs and United probably the only teams with a better 2nd choice keeper. Not that i have seen many teams 3rd choice keeper Mannone did ok when needed and I cant imagine too many 3rd choices being better than him.

I dont understand how a player could be a **** no. 1 but one of the best backups, as far as im concerned your either good or your not! I currently believe that signing a Gk would be a waste of resource and all of our funds should go on a striker and or a theo replacement, because if theo goes, gervinho gets more playing time!

Our backups aren't great, but backup keepers usually aren't top drawer. There's only one GK slot and usually few opportunities to get a game to prove yourself, so good keepers don't hang around for very long as backup.

If money is available I'd rather it was spent elsewhere.

How much competition do you need though when you've got one of the leagues best backups in Fabianski and one of the best 3rd choices in Mannone. Not to mention the other goalkeepers we have.

I think GK is by far the position that would frustrate me most if we added to.

Fab one of the best backup keepers in the league?

Hahahahahahaha.

He's not even the best backup keeper in North London!

Well just look at the European champions then who are obviously better than us, they make do with Turnbull and Hilario as backup, I think we do obviously better than that. The options we have are really not bad at all.

I agree that you don't really need to change keepers as will be waste of money but teams with quality back ups.... Villa, Spurs, United (although both are dodgy, they are quite high profile), Cech has not missed a PL game for a while now. The thing is Schezney gets injured quite a lot and it proved this season that when he is unavailable your back up keepers were no way near ready tbh.

I agree that you don't really need to change keepers as will be waste of money but teams with quality back ups.... Villa, Spurs, United (although both are dodgy, they are quite high profile), Cech has not missed a PL game for a while now. The thing is Schezney gets injured quite a lot and it proved this season that when he is unavailable your back up keepers were no way near ready tbh.

Is this actually true? Obviously he's missed a large chunk of this season as a result of one injury, but did he miss many games through injury before that? Genuine question, I really can't remember.

Is this actually true? Obviously he's missed a large chunk of this season as a result of one injury, but did he miss many games last season? Genuine question, I really can't remember.

He must of because Arsenal seem to have a different goalkeeper between the sticks every month or so :lol:

And yeah, anyways Spurs probably have the best goalkeeper depth in the world (At least I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who has more quality?) with Lloris, Friedel, Gomes and Cudicini so the North London thing says absolutely nothing. It's hardly a shock when you compare.

I just think people are being a bit harsh on the abilities of our backup, the injury thing stands but they're hardly unplayable, not sure how much you can expect from someone who has to sit out so much. And back to Reina, if you bring him in there's no way you can expect Woj to sit out as No.2, too good for that and a waste to see such a young talent leave.

And yeah, anyways Spurs probably have the best goalkeeper depth in the world (At least I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who has more quality?) with Lloris, Friedel, Gomes and Cudicini so the North London thing says absolutely nothing. It's hardly a shock when you compare.

I just think people are being a bit harsh on the abilities of our backup, the injury thing stands but they're hardly unplayable, not sure how much you can expect from someone who has to sit out so much. And back to Reina, if you bring him in there's no way you can expect Woj to sit out as No.2, too good for that and a waste to see such a young talent leave.

That's actually pretty ridiculous strength in depth, can't think of any club, at any time, having four keepers of that quality. Sure Friedel and Cudicini are getting on, but they'd still start for a lot of PL teams.

So apparently Henry coming back is agreed in principle. The length of time is not fully agreed between Red Bulls and Arsenal, but it is gonna happen. :eek:

If completely true, part of me thinks great. Thierry back with a chance to add to the legend, always good. However, what does this really say about Arsenal? Obviously Wenger thinks we need cover, but is a 35 year old loan signing the best we can do? And for the second year in a row?

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=302492

Read the first post on this page. It might look like a tl:dr job, but it gives a massive insight into the Wenger era at the club. Really, really good read, assuming it's not made up.

No chance that's legit. Just screams someone going to extreme lengths to attempt to defend Wenger. Without even going into detail on the content itself, just the fact there's no way you'd remember the amount of stuff in the amount of detail this guy claims to have especially if they had the wine out as well. Of the content itself - Armand Traore's parents story, Vieira in Beijing, the letting go of Pires, Allardyce stuff, as well as the Jeffers drinking stuff.

Falcao will cost 50 million pounds lol

Financially, Llorente is probably the most probable of the big names, but since he'll be free for everyone, everyone can also up the wage and signing on fee offer. Hopefully, our improved finances can take effect by then. Having said that, our lack of recent success and other big names to attract him, might be the biggest obstacle in attracting such talent, especially if we don't make 4th.

No chance that's legit. Just screams someone going to extreme lengths to attempt to defend Wenger. Without even going into detail on the content itself, just the fact there's no way you'd remember the amount of stuff in the amount of detail this guy claims to have especially if they had the wine out as well. Of the content itself - Armand Traore's parents story, Vieira in Beijing, the letting go of Pires, Allardyce stuff, as well as the Jeffers drinking stuff.

I refuse to beleive Wneger would be so open to a fan and discuss things like contracts, transfers, player attitudes. It looks to me as if its a collection of apparent ITK and media stories over the last few years exagerated, bulked up and then rolled into one fantasy meeting with Wenger

How great would a January window of Diame/Gustavo, Zaha, Henry and one more forward (Huntelaar/Adrian Lopez/Demba Ba) be?

Based on what some of the actual ITK's are saying it sounds realistic too but knowing Arsenal it'll just be Henry. :(

Yeah it's a strong experienced team, although I expect there will a few young players on the bench like Eisfeld, Meade etc

Szczesny, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Coquelin, Ramsey, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Gervinho

Is roughly what i'd expect

Yeah it's a strong experienced team, although I expect there will a few young players on the bench like Eisfeld, Meade etc

Szczesny, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Coquelin, Ramsey, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Gervinho

Is roughly what i'd expect

Meade to play instead of Gibbs, Chamakh will get himself in there as well I expect. Possibly Arshavin as well?

I'm not sure tbh, I know that Wenger is taking it seriously this year and has said he's putting out a strong team but I have no idea how strong. Would like to see Meade get another game because I was impressed with him against Olympiakos, maybe Arshavin but it depends on the fitness of Podolski because he's missed the last couple of games so Wenger might want to give him some minutes

I don't understand the links with Reina to be honest. I can understand if we were chasing a reserve keeper because Fabianski and Mannone are far from the most reliable people to have in reserve, in my opinion. Firstly, Reina has been shaky between the sticks off and on for 18 months. Secondly, he'd ask for massive wages for a 2nd choice keeper (I certainly wouldn't play him ahead of Szczesny). I've seen mention of Begovic (not from an ITK type I hasten to add) and that's a far more enticing option. That said, I don't think it's our most pressing need and wouldn't be a wise allocation of our funds.

I think we need to tie down Walcott, add a physical presence in the midfield to play the Diaby type role, another striker (on the fence about Huntelaar - clinical finisher but that's all, he's not the creative type, he's a little old but for under £5m snatch him up!) and a new left back.

I think maybe Martinez will get another shot, but after the Reading match will his confidence be shot?

Woj/Martinez, Jenkinson, Djourou, Koscielny, Meade, Coquelin, Eisfeld, Rosicky, Ox, Arshavin, Chamakh.

Is my best guess.

Archived