Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to make some concessions 'cos we're not quite there yet. Yes, Suarez will have plenty of days like today and then he'll also have games like at Norwich at the end of last season and Chelsea at home. I still think he's in the top ten in the world at playing this nine and a half role. And certainly if we're on a budget then we're not going to find anyone better than him. All we can do is really get more options.

On Sterling tonight: I'm not sure whether he was even more confident than he was on Sunday but does he look even more unpredictable coming in from the right? Problem is his left foot is a bit of a swinger. Did you see him roll his eyes a little when Rodgers told him he was playing wide right?

tbh, had I been Liverpool manager, I would have taken the plane down to Florence, tossed a £27m suit case on Prade's table, and said that I wanted Jovetić and that I would not take no for an answer, but then again there's probably a lot of other things I would have done differently compared to what BR opted for

Also... I love Joe Allen (so far) but I have small concerns that he's not as good as Lucas defensively. He doesn't win nearly half as many challenges, although there was one play tonight where he just basically muscled someone off the ball. But in general I don't think he reads the defensive side as well (obviously, he is 3 years younger) and we do get opened up through the middle a little bit more.

Basically this is just a post moaning about Lucas being injured.

Also... I love Joe Allen (so far) but I have small concerns that he's not as good as Lucas defensively. He doesn't win nearly half as many challenges, although there was one play tonight where he just basically muscled someone off the ball. But in general I don't think he reads the defensive side as well (obviously, he is 3 years younger) and we do get opened up through the middle a little bit more.

There was one moment tonight when Joe won the ball in our half, ran a bit on the counter attack, passed it to Gerrard, ran a bit then just completely stopped. We had an excellent counter attack in motion and he just stopped. Pissed me off a bit.

Allen isn't there as a holding midfielder, he's there to keep possession and control the tempo in the middle. In the same way that Xabi needed Mascherano to really let him play, Allen would benefit from having a proper holding midfielder (no idea who in the absence of Lucas) with him to break up and play and give him the ball.

I thought Henderson was pretty poor tonight, thought the same about Morgan, but it was his debut and he is very young.

Thought Morgan and Henderson where far too deep(certainly for the position they were playing.) , especially in the first half and especially Henderson.

Thought Downing had one of his better games tonight.

I thought Gerrard was poor, well mainly in the final 3rd.

Anyone know what is happening with Doni? ......I think he is a good goalkeeper, better than Jones anyway.

Also, not sure if it has been mentioned, we kick off our defense of the Carlin cup (Capital one cup) with an away trip to West Brom.

what makes you think he £27m?

oh, you mean instead of Allen and Borini? Yeah, I'd rather have Jove too, £27m would probably do it. Maybe next year!

recall reading a few statements that prade would not accept anything less then 30m euro, so yeah got a feeling £27m would do it, and to be fair he would probably be an attainable target this summer considering Fiorentina's awful season last year, and wage wise he would probably still be in a decent price range considering his age and ability

and yes I more or less ment instead of Allen and Borini (I would probably also have kept Aqua , Kuyt and possibly Maxi to, while just simply trying to bag in as much as possible to get rid of Adam, Downing, Spearing, Jones, Carroll, Enrique, Cole and possibly Riena)

i sure hope we have some attacking options lined up for tomorrow.

thought downing had one of his better games tonight but against better teams he stands no chance. our problems clearly lie in the attacking 3rd. upgrades are needed if we really want to start putting runs together and pushing on..

Our next 3 games our on T.V :cool:

2/09 - Arsenal (H) - 13:30PM -Skysports1

15/09 - Sunderland (A) - 17:30PM - ESPN

23/09 - Man Utd (H) - 13:30PM - Skysports1

That sucks for me, means I have to be up for 6am for two of the games while Sunderland game I won't be back until late.

There was one moment tonight when Joe won the ball in our half, ran a bit on the counter attack, passed it to Gerrard, ran a bit then just completely stopped. We had an excellent counter attack in motion and he just stopped. Pissed me off a bit.

I think he stopped because someone else, can't remember who, was overlapping on his right hand side. He just held back a bit to support.

Re: Sturridge, from what I've seen if anyone can sort out a young lad with too much ego and turn him into a hard working team player, it's Brendan Rodgers.

that completely baffled me

that completely baffled me

It seemed to me that he got caught in the moment then remembered what his instructions were. Without Lucas he doesn't have the same licence to roam I think.

Anyway, pleased fat arse is at Stoke. Hopefully that goes ahead. Can see why Cole rejected Spartak but thats a pity. Very much feel for Carroll too but can understand the deal. Expect at least one if not two to come in today.

It's quite possible that Fulham are trying to force our hand into a bidding war. Interesting that Henderson's days must be numbered as well now, given that he was offered out. Downing is probably safe until January at least, but he must be feeling a little uneasy.

Well if it's like any other deals we've concluded when selling players recently, not only would we not get a good deal, we'd end up paying some of his wages too. Seriously, has any club's transfer policy been as bad as ours over the last 2-3 years? So many poor signings signed on big wages and for big fees, very few successes.

Archived