Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry has hailed retiring Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher as one of the best five defenders the English game has seen.

The Frenchman spent seven years with the Gunners and came up against the dyed-in-the-wool Liverpudlian in the Premier League on countless occasions.

Henry told Liverpool's official website: "When Carragher retires, it will be a sad day for any Liverpool fan and for anyone who likes the game.

"The memory that I have of him is someone who was loyal and committed. You will always remember him as a Liverpool player because that's the only team he played for.

"I have had incredible battles against him. I lost some and I won some but they were always fair and always hard. He's a competitor.

"For me, he will go down as one of the top five. If you talk about how long he has played for Liverpool and what he won there and what type of player he was, he will go down in history as one of the greatest in the history of the league."

Ultimate troll shirley

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
imo he's exactly what we want. trained as a dm and broke through valencia's first team as one before being moved to the back line. can work with the ball at his feet without being a wreck. good positioning. good movement. good distribution.

:D He's a bombscare.

imo he's exactly what we want. trained as a dm and broke through valencia's first team as one before being moved to the back line. can work with the ball at his feet without being a wreck. good positioning. good movement. good distribution.

that doesn't sound like the raul albiol I know

Having watched him quite a few times this season that doesn't sound quite like him. A promising player who's level has dropped since his Valencia days.

I don't see him as a Coutinho where his club were crazy not to use him more. Personally I'd give Coates another season.

Having watched him quite a few times this season that doesn't sound quite like him. A promising player who's level has dropped since his Valencia days.

I don't see him as a Coutinho where his club were crazy not to use him more. Personally I'd give Coates another season.

tbf I am going more off of his valencia days than rm since I've been unable to watch as regularly as I'd like

thinnest link possible but I just read a quote (from yesterday I think) from kuyt saying if he was strootman or de vrij he'd ride his bike to get to play for liverpool. not sure why he named those two in particular but yes please.

tbf I am going more off of his valencia days than rm since I've been unable to watch as regularly as I'd like

Albiol? He's not a patch on his Valencia days, back then he was a defender I would have loved to have seen arrive at Man United. Distinctly average nowadays, and if anything would be a liability in Liverpool's style of play.

As for Strootman, keep your mitts off! Fingers crossed he's headed down our way.

Saw this from Fergie on SkySports:

"I was with the chief executive of Liverpool at our reserve game the other night and he told me that Brendan Rodgers, who has not been in the job a year, is the 30th longest-serving manager in the country. That's incredible."

That's ridiculous.

Who said Albiol was class and composed on the ball and a good defender? Looked anything but in the Copa Del Rey Final last night.

-

I'll be upset if Suarez goes because he's a world class player, but every week that goes by, the partnership between Coutinho and Sturridge looks better and better.

Who said Albiol was class and composed on the ball and a good defender? Looked anything but in the Copa Del Rey Final last night.

-

I'll be upset if Suarez goes because he's a world class player, but every week that goes by, the partnership between Coutinho and Sturridge looks better and better.

He hasn't been since Valencia.

-

Losing Suarez for £40m could actually leave Liverpool in a better shape overall in truth, providing its spent well.

He hasn't been since Valencia.

-

Losing Suarez for £40m could actually leave Liverpool in a better shape overall in truth, providing its spent well.

We would only have to bring in another striker who could do as good a job as he does, sturridge has been excellent yes but there is no guarantee he will keep this up for an entire season. Who would you bring in to replace suarezs goal and assist tally this season for less than £40m that would leave the team in a better shape?

We would only have to bring in another striker who could do as good a job as he does, sturridge has been excellent yes but there is no guarantee he will keep this up for an entire season. Who would you bring in to replace suarezs goal and assist tally this season for less than £40m that would leave the team in a better shape/

No guarantee that Suarez would do it again tbf. This is the first season he's done it in England. Can only go by how they have done and and try to draw conclusions as how capable they are of keeping it up.

I wouldnt outright replace his goal/assist tally, I would shift it around the squad and increase overall quality, namely by targeting the Sociedad duo of Griezmann and Illarramendi, and one of Negredo, Soldado (or any number of combinations of the 4). That's just looking at Spain. Ligue 1 you could target Aubameyang, hit 19 this season, 16 last season and is only 23.

For example:

Lucas Illarramendi

Downing Coutinho Griezmann

Sturridge

Suarez has 26 goals iirc, Sturridge has 10 in 13, even with a dip he's capable of 20 goals a season

would be madness to just give up on a world class player with no guarantee of a replacement. i admit its a conundrum to fit suarez, sturridge and coutinho into a front 3 to effectively get the best out of all 3, but its a nice problem to have.

we have the resources to keep him and still strengthen. first player to replace in the starting 11 after the defence is downing. i like him, but he's got nothing v the better teams. can do a job as a squad player i suppose.

If we can get a good price for him (35mill+), i would sell him.

His antics are a detrement to the team, while he is a good player and potentially world class.....he constantly lets the team down and for the money i think we could improve the team more than if we kept him.

Apart from Lucas, not sure how many leaders or potential leaders we have to replace Gerrard and Carragher.

Forgetting agger?

If we can get a good price for him (35mill+), i would sell him.

His antics are a detrement to the team, while he is a good player and potentially world class.....he constantly lets the team down and for the money i think we could improve the team more than if we kept him.

I wouldn't listen to any offers below £50m and even then i would be hesitant. suarez is like gerrard very hard to replace and when the time comes it will not be easy.

for me the question isn't really about selling suarez. I'd sell him "at the right price" (which we can certainly haggle about). but the bigger question is whether we have faith in the team to use the money wisely. lots of big teams have sold as big or bigger names than suarez and prospered from it, because they accurately targeted the players they needed to make the overall squad better. do we have faith in rodgers and his staff to make those sorts of decisions? because you only get one bite at that apple.

If we can get a price similar or higher than we got for Torres I would probably sell. You know he has another idiotic moment in him which will only land him onto even more bother.

As long as we don't have another andy carroll saga.

I can't see that happening anytime soon in all honesty.

You'd obviously have to think things at 55+ million, but 35-40? No chance.

Definitely wouldn't consider anything less than £50m.

for me the question isn't really about selling suarez. I'd sell him "at the right price" (which we can certainly haggle about). but the bigger question is whether we have faith in the team to use the money wisely. lots of big teams have sold as big or bigger names than suarez and prospered from it, because they accurately targeted the players they needed to make the overall squad better. do we have faith in rodgers and his staff to make those sorts of decisions? because you only get one bite at that apple.

I would say it comes down to whether the club feel they can get all of their targets for the summer in without having to sacrifice selling one of their star players to pay for the rebuild of the squad. Its not too different to the problem Rafa faced when deciding to sell Alonso (obviously in this case it went wrong as the board pulled the plug on a huge chunk of his budget without letting him know) but he knew to get all of the targets in he wanted his budget wasn't big enough and something had to give.

Now if the board tell Rodgers he has 20mill plus sales for example, and Rodgers thinks he can get enough in from selling the likes of Carroll, Spearing etc to help pay for our targets then there is no need to sacrifice Luis. If he feels we won't have enough cash then he needs to weigh up the possiblity of selling Luis to pay for his targets plus of course the cost of replacing Luis himself. I would hope he gets enough backing from the owners to be able to get who he wants without sacrificing Luis but without CL money can the owners keep forking out big money for transfer deals?

I don't think we will sell Luis just because we get a good bid in for him. If we are confident we can do all of our business without the need of selling him to raise funds then we will keep him.

Borini and Allen haven't justified their fees yet

Sturridge and Coutinho have already really.

Can see us definitely trying to see Downing, probably for about £8m, Then wouldn't be surprised to see Reina for for about the same, plus money from Carroll, plus general transfer investment.

For a team that is rebuilding, doesn't have CL football and has a good basis for a starting 11, I think an extra £40m odd from Suarez isn't going to make much difference other than going on a direct replacement for him.

Saw this from Fergie on SkySports:

"I was with the chief executive of Liverpool at our reserve game the other night and he told me that Brendan Rodgers, who has not been in the job a year, is the 30th longest-serving manager in the country. That's incredible."

That's ridiculous.

I heard another stat the other day, since Arsenal have last win a trophy under Wenger all other 91 league clubs have changed manager

Archived