Great players in FM that never made it irl

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the point the fella is making about 84 Cap and playing for Lyon is that its harsh to include him in the list of players that never made it IRL. i mean it wasnt long ago that Lyon were knocking Real Madrid out of the champions league at quarter finals. still a good team which would outplay pretty much anyone outside the top 4 / 5 prem teams.

Your right, making 84 caps for your country, playing for Lyon and playing regularly in the Champions League is definitely not making it..........How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me.............

My point was IMO he's not made the impact that FM made him out to make when he cam into the game. When did he forst get into the game? 99/00 ish? Didnt join Lyon till 2006, when they were far and away the best team in France anyway. So he's got 84 caps for Sweden. Hardly churning out world class players like the likes of England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany...... are they? Who do you suppose they play instead of him?

Like I said, he's not a bad player, but not quite the level CM/FM made him out to be when he first appeared IMO. I wouldn't even put him in the top 30 Midfielders/Attackers in the World. In CM/FM when he appeared, he was one of or had the potential to be one of THE best. Clearly not.

For me memorable players that I would always try to sign:

James Beattie (first appeared as a schoolboy in an early addition), would still score tons of goals in the Premier League and Europe. While he did play some PrL irl, it was nothing compared to what he could in the game. By far the best player I have ever had in the CM/FM series.

Matt Carbon. He was an awesome D/M/A L/C/R. Did play some PrL for Derby, but was never as good as in the game :)

Others:

Iffy Onoura, Philip Starbuck, Adam Locke (assist king)

My point was IMO he's not made the impact that FM made him out to make when he cam into the game. When did he forst get into the game? 99/00 ish? Didnt join Lyon till 2006, when they were far and away the best team in France anyway. So he's got 84 caps for Sweden. Hardly churning out world class players like the likes of England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany...... are they? Who do you suppose they play instead of him?

Like I said, he's not a bad player, but not quite the level CM/FM made him out to be when he first appeared IMO. I wouldn't even put him in the top 30 Midfielders/Attackers in the World. In CM/FM when he appeared, he was one of or had the potential to be one of THE best. Clearly not.

I think you have completely missed the point of the thread. He has more than made it in the footballing world, even if he isnt as good as the game made him out to be. We're talking about players who have flopped in their careers, 84 caps and playing for one of Europe's top teams does not count as flopping. You know it is possible for great players to come from other countries than you have mentioned he would walk into most national sides, especially England.

i think the point the fella is making about 84 Cap and playing for Lyon is that its harsh to include him in the list of players that never made it IRL. i mean it wasnt long ago that Lyon were knocking Real Madrid out of the champions league at quarter finals. still a good team which would outplay pretty much anyone outside the top 4 / 5 prem teams.

I understand that. Obviously he's made it but just not to the level CM/FM made his potential out to be when he appeared in the game. I ALWAYS signed him knowing he would become probably THE best midfielder in the world, or one of. His caps mean nothing IMO. He's from Sweden. Not his fault I know but you cant use his caps as a marker. If he had 84 caps for a top European country then fair enough. Could you argue a case to put him in any other top countries midfield? With Ibrahimovic, you could argue he would be a starter for quite a few top countries. Cant really say the same about Kallstrom. Thats why I dismiss the caps.

Same could be said for Goran Pandev. When he cam into the game, he was or had the potential to be one of the top players. He has 61 caps for the mighty Macedonia! Does that make it important? Not IMO no. Now he's being loaned out. Made it? Yes in a sense. He's still playing top level football, and in the Champions League. Has he reached the potential FM made out? No probably not.

At the end of the day, I included Kallstrom in MY list because I feel he hasnt made the impact that the game made out he would made. IMO.

I think you have completely missed the point of the thread. He has more than made it in the footballing world, even if he isnt as good as the game made him out to be. We're talking about players who have flopped in their careers, 84 caps and playing for one of Europe's top teams does not count as flopping. You know it is possible for great players to come from other countries than you have mentioned he would walk into most national sides, especially England.

Ive not missed the point. I included him in MY list. I dont see the problem.

You have, and your point about his caps not being worth anything because he plays for Sweden is the most arrogant and ignorant thing i have read on here for a while. You dont get 84 caps for your country just because there is no one better and you dont end up at Lyon by accident.

You have, and your point about his caps not being worth anything because he plays for Sweden is the most arrogant and ignorant thing i have read on here for a while. You dont get 84 caps for your country just because there is no one better and you dont end up at Lyon by accident.

Its not ignorant or arrogant. Good on him for being one of the best midfielders Sweden has produced. My point is you can't say he's made it because he has 84 caps for Sweden. Theres hardly an abundance of talent coming from there. He's not holding other world class midfielders out of the team. Theres not many to begin with. Obviously Kallstrom is in the Sweden team on ability. He's the best midfielder they have, but you cant really use having caps for a 'smaller' country as a marker. How many players from 'smaller' countries play for them because of reputation, or because of the club they play for?

All I was saying is from my point of view, I used to sign Kallstrom and Bakirciouglu in the same game for every team I used. They always became world class. Kallstrom has caps for Sweden and plays for Lyon, Kennedy has caps for Sweden and has played for Twente, Ajax and is now in La Liga with Racing. All good teams just like Lyon. Played regular European football over the years too. Only 10 points difference between them currently in-game PA wise but its ok to include kennedy as somebody who never 'made it' but not ok to include Kallstrom?

For me memorable players that I would always try to sign:

James Beattie (first appeared as a schoolboy in an early addition), would still score tons of goals in the Premier League and Europe. While he did play some PrL irl, it was nothing compared to what he could in the game. By far the best player I have ever had in the CM/FM series.

Not really sure Beattie was a failure like most on this thread, he did play a few games for england and score nearly 100 Premiership goals, was one of the best scorers in england for a few years while at saints.

Alessio Cerci

FM2005, I signed him for Man Utd and he became a top player for me, 15-20 goals a season.

I totally forgot about Cerci! Had him in my Wigan team on FM2006 I think, he and Nathan Ellington led me to league title after league title.

Not really sure Beattie was a failure like most on this thread, he did play a few games for england and score nearly 100 Premiership goals, was one of the best scorers in england for a few years while at saints.

Yeah he wasn't exactly a failure ... but man, was he a beast in CM back in the day. As his stats were always random, he sometimes got generated with 1 in Shooting/Finishing .. and still scored tons of goals for my Colchester side :D

Yeah he wasn't exactly a failure ... but man, was he a beast in CM back in the day. As his stats were always random, he sometimes got generated with 1 in Shooting/Finishing .. and still scored tons of goals for my Colchester side :D

Exactly my point about Kallstrom. If only Beattie was Swedish, he could have had 150 caps :p

How are people forgetting Stefan Moore?

Always scored goals for my teams throughout the lower leagues and even the prem and only cost something like 8k to buy.

He's completely slipped off the radar, down at St Neots or something like that. Tier 8 or 9 in England?

Oh and what about Febian Brandy? and completely agree with Craig Lindfield, often signed him for Spurs in the earlier editions

Ray McKinnon on first CM. James Flood (CM Legend), Natipong Sritong-In, Victor Renner, Helder Postiga, Stefan Selakovic, Franco Costanzo, Fredy Thompson, Leigh Hinds, Artur Corriea, Onesimo, Stefan Giglio, Chucks Nwoko, Emanuel Olisedibe, Peter Prospar, Helder Bastia, Archie Thompson and many many more great memories!

How are people forgetting Stefan Moore?

Always scored goals for my teams throughout the lower leagues and even the prem and only cost something like 8k to buy.

He's completely slipped off the radar, down at St Neots or something like that. Tier 8 or 9 in England?

Wow, didn't realise he had slipped so far down, i knew that Cherno Samba had.

About ten years ago there was a young Portugese striker who started the game without a club. I think his name was something like Jaeo Pavia or something similar. Was a beast for my Leeds team and when playing 2 player with my mate we used to fight over who would sign him. Beast

Some quality players there SuperJackLester!

I could go on forever Dolph. Think i've spent a good chunk of my adult life playing CM/FM :D

A few more..

John O'Flynn, Derek Tobin, Peter Weatherson, Emmanuel Osei-Kuffour, Sebatien Barnes, Sammasi Abou, Costa Costa, Gyorgy Kiss, Guy Melamed, Ian Roper, Bachung Bhutia, Ian Moore, Peter Thorne, Andy Booth (Best striker on 1st CM), Indiri Sigursson, Mark Tyler, Peter Fear, Sergei Baltacha, Adam Fleming (14 y/o Irish winger), The entire 98/99 Cheltenham Town team (including Mike Duff)

Sherman Candenas

Came to say exactly the same, he was an absolute bloody machine and then disappeared of the radar, he's only 22 now but I doubt he'll ever make it.

EDIT: Lionel Morgan, but he had to retire due to injuries IIRC? He was quality on the left wing.

84 caps for Sweden? And?

Lyon one of the best teams in the world? No. Best team in France yes. Hardly saying something. How good is the French league? If he's that good why has he not moved to a TOP club in a TOP European league? Yes he's still a good player IRL. but hardly to the level CM/FM made him out to be when he cam onto the scene. Thats why I included him.

There are 53 leagues in Europe but the 5th best of those is not considered a 'top' league?

England churn out world class players since when? Sweden have a similar tournament record to England.

Despite what your ignorance suggests, the world does not revolve around the Premier League and La liga!

What about the brazilian Celsinho? He was one of the best prospects in FM06 and FM07. Doubt the new Ronaldinho, his stats were huge. Now he's loaned in the Romanian Ligue 1 at FCM Targu Mures, where he's warming the bench for a team fighting for survival every year. And he's only 23 years old.

celsinho.jpg

I cannot believe that after all of these replies' date=' no one has mentioned this guy, the one and only

IBRAHIMA BAKAYOKO.

Used to cost about £10m to buy, but he was a beast of an AMC. I think Everton signed in IRL (possibly as a result of playing CM?). Anyway, he turned out to be a bit poo.[/quote']

I was going to nominate this guy. Everton indeed bought him and it must've been on the basis of playing Champ Man.

Oh, I just remembered: Harpal Singh! And Jamie McMaster!