Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

What's the Difference between using CM's on a Defend duty and using DM's on Support?

as Vasily said, though he used DM- the most general reality is that it is the mentality as far as how forward they get within your overall team mentality. It's handy for two man midfields, or three man with no DM to play a bit safer.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the Difference between using CM's on a Defend duty and using DM's on Support?

dVijado.png

zbzvEBK.png

In terms of closing down, the setting is relative to position and concerns how players deal with an attacker who enters their zone. Since a DM is supposed to break up attacks that bypass the midfield line, he's more likely (in the abstract) to get tight on an attacker and attempt a challenge whereas MCs are more likely to stand off a bit more and wait for an attacker to make a mistake before applying pressure.

So in this thread, you can ask any stupid question and wont be deemed an imbecile? Than I have one.

Basically I want my team to play like 4-2-3-1 of Brendan Rogers where the AMC and ST play a hand in most of the goals, including a AML whos an IF/A and the main source of my goals and a W/S on AMR. But somehow my team is playing the 4-2-3-1 of Andre Villas-Boas where the ST gets isolated every match even though the whole team is contributing to goals. What roles should I give my ST and AMC because only them are underperforming?

My teams formation basically

GK

WB CB CB WB

MC MC

AMR AMC AML

ST

Roles

GK

WB(auto) CB(D) CB(D) WB(auto)

DLP(D) BWM(D)

W(S) AP(S) IF(A)

AF(A)

What am I possibly doing wrong?

What would be another way of making AML/AMR track back and close down in defending half of the pitch, beside giving them "mark specific player" on the opposition AML/AMR? They are afraid to cross the imaginary line into the land of easy-stolen-balls-if-only-I-had-a-pair.

P.S. Unrelated, in my home game against Man. City, Daniel Sturridge was denied a great counter-attacking chance because he collided with ref. Lee Mason. After the incident, mr. Mason is yellow when I click on him, like if he's got a yellow card for that help.

So in this thread, you can ask any stupid question and wont be deemed an imbecile? Than I have one.

Basically I want my team to play like 4-2-3-1 of Brendan Rogers where the AMC and ST play a hand in most of the goals, including a AML whos an IF/A and the main source of my goals and a W/S on AMR. But somehow my team is playing the 4-2-3-1 of Andre Villas-Boas where the ST gets isolated every match even though the whole team is contributing to goals. What roles should I give my ST and AMC because only them are underperforming?

GK

WB CB CB WB

MC MC

AMR AMC AML

ST

Roles

GK

DLP(D) BWM(D)

W(S) AP(S) IF(A)

AF(A)

Are you using any other individual/team instructions? Is your striker actually getting scoring chances but he just fail to score?

What would be another way of making AML/AMR track back and close down in defending half of the pitch, beside giving them "mark specific player" on the opposition AML/AMR? They are afraid to cross the imaginary line into the land of easy-stolen-balls-if-only-I-had-a-pair.

P.S. Unrelated, in my home game against Man. City, Daniel Sturridge was denied a great counter-attacking chance because he collided with ref. Lee Mason. After the incident, mr. Mason is yellow when I click on him, like if he's got a yellow card for that help.

Can try dropping them to ML/MR position instead.

Hey all, I'm looking for some more opinions on what to do with this youth prospect I have.

9e0f7d7edaebefe031ec8eb75a510d6c.png

My thinking has been to have him as a CM(A) and run beyond my AP(S) my other options would be a DLP(S) or tweak my tactic a little and make him Regista

Are you using any other individual/team instructions? Is your striker actually getting scoring chances but he just fail to score?

AF(A)= Move Into Channels

AP(S)= More Direct Passes, Dribbles More

IF(A)= Dribble More, Pass it Shorter, Shoot Less Often

W(S)= None

DLP(D)= Pass it Shorter, Close Down More, Tackle Harder

BWM(D)= Shoot Less Often, Pass it Shorter

Both WBs(Auto)= Dribble More

Both CBs(D)= Pass it Shorter

GK= Take Quick Throws.

My striker doesnt even have a chance to miss because he rarely gets the ball in the final third. When he does, he passes it to one of AML/AMR/AMC. Sometimes it leads to a goal, sometimes not, but whats the point of having a striker? I want my striker to contribute to the goals directly either scoring or making them (mostly scoring).

W(S)= None

GK= Take Quick Throws.

My striker doesnt even have a chance to miss because he rarely gets the ball in the final third. When he does, he passes it to one of AML/AMR/AMC. Sometimes it leads to a goal, sometimes not, but whats the point of having a striker? I want my striker to contribute to the goals directly either scoring or making them (mostly scoring).

Maybe you can try reducing the players running with the ball so they will release the ball abit earlier or won't ball hog. You have 5 players who are running often with the ball. Maybe the WBs and/or AP.

What's the difference in general behaviour on the pitch between DMd and Ad?

The Anchorman is the most defensive role in the DM strata, he only defends, he doesnt do anything else.

The DM will contribute a bit more to build up and at times will venture a bit forward, even with a Defend duty.

I usually use Anchorman for the players that are very poor on the ball but good defensively, or are very good phisically.

An example Anchorman.

boBWg5Il.jpg

Another way to put it would be, Anchorman is the equivalent of the Limited Defender and the DM is the equivalent of the normal defender.

Is there are a difference when it comes to closing down? It seems like DM is a bit more adventurous when it comes to closing down, he wanders off his position occasionally, causing all kinds of problems.

I noticed this too. DM would go and chase down the wings some opponents. I think its safe to say the Anchorman will close down less and keep his position a lot more.

But this also ties in with what Mentality you have, Tactical Instruction and you can always use the Close Down Less PI if you feel its needed for your DM.

No doubt this has been asked already but I couldn't find it: I want RVP to tutor Januzaj, however in the Training screen the only options to 'Request tutoring' are Rooney, Mata and Kagawa. Are these players the only options or is there a way to request RVP? I've tried a Private Chat with Januzaj, but the options are all greyed out.

No doubt this has been asked already but I couldn't find it: I want RVP to tutor Januzaj, however in the Training screen the only options to 'Request tutoring' are Rooney, Mata and Kagawa. Are these players the only options or is there a way to request RVP? I've tried a Private Chat with Januzaj, but the options are all greyed out.

Have a private chat with RVP -> Development -> Tutoring -> See if it will allow him to tutor Januzaj in the dropdown box.

If I tell my defensive line to drop deeper/much deeper will that also affect the positioning of the rest of the team? Will they also drop deeper or will it just open up a massive gap between the defense and midfield?

It depends on the roles you have in your midfield. If you have for example an AML and AMR on Attack Duty they wont drop very much so the gap will be there. But if you have a good setup for your 2 CMs they will bridge that gap.

Also I would avoid the much deeper TI, and generally avoid extreme instructions.

If you want your team to stay deeper you can always use a more cautios mentality. Like Counter or Defensiev, this way the whole team will drop deeper, cause of the lower mentality.

Just seen a thread in GQ about the use of a wide target man.. And I can't help but wonder.. What kind of tactical setup could you use to actually use that role?

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me at first glance to push a target man out wide (hadn't even given the role any thought up to this point, never used it before)

Just seen a thread in GQ about the use of a wide target man.. And I can't help but wonder.. What kind of tactical setup could you use to actually use that role?

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me at first glance to push a target man out wide (hadn't even given the role any thought up to this point, never used it before)

The target man is not really a box player and his job isn't simply to get on the end of crosses. He does get forward, but his first and primary job is to receive direct balls out of defence to either hold up or quickly lay off to a more technical strike partner. You might play a target man out wide to take advantage of a physically diminutive fullback or space left by a wingback. This can also lead to central defenders or holding mids being dragged wide to deal with him, creating more space for players counterattacking through the middle.

GK

WB CB CB WB

MC MC

AMR AMC AML

ST

Roles

GK

DLP(D) BWM(D)

W(S) AP(S) IF(A)

AF(A)

W(S)= None

GK= Take Quick Throws.

You have gone a bit overkill on the player instructions. For example, an AP who dribbles more, is an AP(A) - ie. you have selected the wrong duty, although that effectively means you have a very congested, direct front 4. Your AP(S) will get very isolated, as he is the only player playing in his zone, the 2 CM's behind are staying in position, and the IF(A) & W(A) are pushing into the attacking strata with the AF(A). Your Wing Back and Winger combination rarely works on the right flank, as Wing Backs are designed to work as lone players on the flank.

I've been using Cleon's Defensive Arts tactic with Vitesse in The Netherlands. The intent is to take the basic ideas of that tactic and evolve it into something my own. Its still mostly what Cleon laid out in that thread and its working quite well - I'm undefeated through November. But evolution needs to happen. The tactic is a narrow 4-4-2 diamond, Very Rigid and Defensive. The midfielder foursome are a regista at the DM position, a CM-A, Box-to-Box, and an Advanced Playmaker up front. The AM wasn't performing up to expectation as a Trequarista, despite having the skills, so I switched it up and he's been much better. Top scorer right now. The wingbacks I brought in have done tremendously as CWBs.

What I have been considering is switching the CM-A to a DLP-S and the Regista to an Anchor Man. I would lose the runs of the CM-A but the B-2-B beside him is still getting forward. I think it might add a touch more defensive stability, which would be nice as the clean-sheets are rare. I'm not seeing any outright issues with the switch, as I still have a runner from midfield to ensure movement between the lines. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I've been using Cleon's Defensive Arts tactic with Vitesse in The Netherlands. The intent is to take the basic ideas of that tactic and evolve it into something my own. Its still mostly what Cleon laid out in that thread and its working quite well - I'm undefeated through November. But evolution needs to happen. The tactic is a narrow 4-4-2 diamond, Very Rigid and Defensive. The midfielder foursome are a regista at the DM position, a CM-A, Box-to-Box, and an Advanced Playmaker up front. The AM wasn't performing up to expectation as a Trequarista, despite having the skills, so I switched it up and he's been much better. Top scorer right now. The wingbacks I brought in have done tremendously as CWBs.

What I have been considering is switching the CM-A to a DLP-S and the Regista to an Anchor Man. I would lose the runs of the CM-A but the B-2-B beside him is still getting forward. I think it might add a touch more defensive stability, which would be nice as the clean-sheets are rare. I'm not seeing any outright issues with the switch, as I still have a runner from midfield to ensure movement between the lines. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I think you have spotted what I would have noticed as the weak point for you with the B2B alongside a CM-A; I can imagine there are moments when both of them have gone forward leaving your DM as the last man in front of the defense. I am all for the change you've suggested, but think maybe about a CM-D, as I've noticed at times the DLP will be so deep that he will be in a line even with an anchor man. If your B2B has gone on a run and the ball comes out you might lack options right in the middle. Your CM-D will give that defensive responsibility I think you are wanting but stay a bit higher up than the DLP generally. The Anchorman-Regista switch- I am non-commital about; to me that is about the player as in any case he is still going to be a DM and give you generally what you want. If you have a really talented guy in that position, you won't want to shackle him with an anchor man role, but if he can do that well too, then why not?

How much effect does changing team instructions / shouts during the game have on your team's familiarity with the tactic?

For example - I would have my set tactics and instructions that my team is familiar with in all of the different categories. For whatever reason it's not going right for me in a certain match so I change the shouts / instructions to something that I feel could make a difference. However, my team aren't familiar with these instructions. Will the benefit of the new instruction (if it's the right one for that situation) out weigh the fact my team is not familiar with this way of playing?

I think you have spotted what I would have noticed as the weak point for you with the B2B alongside a CM-A; I can imagine there are moments when both of them have gone forward leaving your DM as the last man in front of the defense. I am all for the change you've suggested, but think maybe about a CM-D, as I've noticed at times the DLP will be so deep that he will be in a line even with an anchor man. If your B2B has gone on a run and the ball comes out you might lack options right in the middle. Your CM-D will give that defensive responsibility I think you are wanting but stay a bit higher up than the DLP generally. The Anchorman-Regista switch- I am non-commital about; to me that is about the player as in any case he is still going to be a DM and give you generally what you want. If you have a really talented guy in that position, you won't want to shackle him with an anchor man role, but if he can do that well too, then why not?

The DLP being deep was part of my concern. Hadn't even really considered a CM-D. Thanks. Testing it out.

Yeah, I was hesitating on the idea of the regista because the DMs are fairly well suited to it but not ideal. But both players I rotate are performing pretty well. They are not better suited to the Anchor Man role, so switching is hardly going to be better for them, even if I like the though of additional defensive protection.

How much effect does changing team instructions / shouts during the game have on your team's familiarity with the tactic?

For example - I would have my set tactics and instructions that my team is familiar with in all of the different categories. For whatever reason it's not going right for me in a certain match so I change the shouts / instructions to something that I feel could make a difference. However, my team aren't familiar with these instructions. Will the benefit of the new instruction (if it's the right one for that situation) out weigh the fact my team is not familiar with this way of playing?

Yes it will outweight the cons of not changing if something isn't currently working.:)

The DLP being deep was part of my concern. Hadn't even really considered a CM-D. Thanks. Testing it out.

Yeah, I was hesitating on the idea of the regista because the DMs are fairly well suited to it but not ideal. But both players I rotate are performing pretty well. They are not better suited to the Anchor Man role, so switching is hardly going to be better for them, even if I like the though of additional defensive protection.

I'd approach this differently as you seem to be focused on the player and what he's suited too. How I'd differ is to focus on what role brings the biggest advantage to the rest of the set up instead. Concentrate on how the role fits the overall set up and what the role actually does. If not you end up with lots of roles that don't actually function or work together.

I'd approach this differently as you seem to be focused on the player and what he's suited too. How I'd differ is to focus on what role brings the biggest advantage to the rest of the set up instead. Concentrate on how the role fits the overall set up and what the role actually does. If not you end up with lots of roles that don't actually function or work together.

Hmmm... good point. Kinda trying to balance between both methodologies. The regista gets a lot of touches, moves the ball quite nicely around. I find him pretty effective in helping cycle possession deep before moving the ball forward, or out to the wingbacks. If I use an Anchor Man in the DM spot, that deep cycling might be less effective.

If I have a backup for a certain spot, should they be similar to the main starter or different to offer another avenue? I play with two BWM in a 4-2DM-3-1 so I have 4 guys with high aggression/bravery, but should I pick up a DM that's more of a creator, let's say?

I am struggling to score goals with my current tactic.

Playing as Man United, and I have a team with lots of technically gifted, young forwards and midfielders (Welbeck, Januzaj, Kagawa, Kovacic, Meyer, Herrera, Carrick), playing behind Rooney, who is a false 9, in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-1-4-1:

GK (d)

FB (a) - cross less

CB (d)

CB (d)

WB (s) - cross less

WM (a) - roam, cross less

DLP (d)

CM (s) or AP (s) - roam

WM (a) - roam, cross less

AP (a) - roam

F9 (s) - roam

I play fluid, counter, with short passing, higher defensive line and work ball into box.

The idea is to keep the ball and probe for an opening, with lots of movement, quick interplay between the forwards, with the ability to break at speed if the opportunity arises. The formation I'm playing is slightly based on Germany's tactics at the World Cup.

We are playing well enough and keeping plenty of clean sheets, but averaging around 1.5 goals a game, which is a little low, and our last 3 results have been 1-0, 0-0 and 1-1. Tactics are fully fluid.

We have good possession at times, though not dominant ala Bayern Munich (which I am not interested in anyway) but struggle to create chances, which is frustrating - I'd much rather be a bit more open, even if that meant sacrificing a bit of defensive stability, in order to score lots of goals.

Any suggestions?

As always, Cleon, the voice of sanity :cool: but seriously good advice here- I am like you Bigpapa, I tend to get hung up on the player skill sets and not think enough about how the role itself functions in the system. Ever learning, never arriving!

I am struggling to score goals with my current tactic....

Howard, how do you find your central midfield playing with that setup? I see two wide men getting forward, a false nine dropping off, but where are your CM's generally with those roles and duties. I expect your DLP (D) is sitting well back, and the paired with two CM's on support duty neither of which are really going to support the attack. I'd start here, and really look at how the CMs are performing because they are so critical to a good attack. If you set on using the DLP, then you might find you'll like the other CM with either a) a more attacking duty or b) a role like a B2B which will encourage him to get forward more.

Just a thought . . .

I have a question about CA and PPMs.

I know that training the weaker foot uses CA. Do all the other preferred movements do that too?

Also, what about hidden personality stats (and determination)? Do these use CA?

Cleon will correct if I am wrong - however, I believe PPM's do not use CA, but do take training time.

Personality stats I am fairly sure do not use any CA, even in development.

What to do when your runners, like CMa or CWBa move forward too quickly? You know, the keeper passes to one of my central defenders and we're just beginning the attack, but those runners storm forward and make themselves useless, leaving less passing options for players behind?

what winds me up the most? Thanks for asking go on then...

I spend hours trawling these forums and reading up on supposed pairings and roles that compliment each other, then I have these two mates. One sends me a photo of his tactics in which he plays two (yes two) ball winning midfielders in centre mid (nothing else) and finishes 2nd in the first season with everton. My other friend has zero team instructions and 'standard' plays 4-2CMs-2AML/R-2st essentially a 4-2-4 and gets promoted with York into league one and batters teams. It seems that half the stuff written on this forum is a load of tosh!

I spend hours trawling these forums and reading up on supposed pairings and roles that compliment each other, then I have these two mates. One sends me a photo of his tactics in which he plays two (yes two) ball winning midfielders in centre mid (nothing else) and finishes 2nd in the first season with everton. My other friend has zero team instructions and 'standard' plays 4-2CMs-2AML/R-2st essentially a 4-2-4 and gets promoted with York into league one and batters teams. It seems that half the stuff written on this forum is a load of tosh!

It's harsh to say it's a load of tosh, but sometimes it does get confusing. I've also seen a guy winning the PL in the first season with Newcastle using two CWB in the back four, two BWM in midfield, two IF on attack, one AMC on attack and a poacher. On top of that, he used attacking mentality.

It goes pretty much against everything I've seen on the forums guides and it's really disheartening.

Lower leagues is fine 4-2-4 can be great to use. Let's see him still hammer teams when he reaches a higher level though, then he's likely to get ripped apart easily when he faces teams who use space better and take their chances better. At lower levels aggressive tactics like the 4-2-4 work really well but less so at higher levels and requires certain types of players to pull it off.

Two BWM's can work fine too. Anything in FM can work. What is important to remember is the rest of the set up though.

What winds me up is people who read guides and think they are set in concrete and no room for anything else to work. Remember guides are just that guides and not set rules like you both seem to be taking them......

Without opening a new thread, I'll try to get help here.

2yysilf.png

That's the setup.

The main problem I immediately noticed is right from the goal-kick. I set my GK to distribute to defenders. He does so, and soon as the ball gets to one of the CDs, the wingbacks storm forward to about half line. Regista drops deeper and then him and CDs pass to each other until one of them hoofs it up front, which usually results in lost possession. There is a huge gap between the defensive line and 4 players who stood around half line - wingbacks and both CMs.

Having "hold position" on wingbacks doesn't help, they still behave the same. Changing the DM to a role which doesn't drop back, like DM on support or defend, usually leaves him marked and then the result is the same; CDs pass to each other with no other passing option and then the hoofing ensues again.

What to do? How to move the ball up field reliably?

Yes, didn't help. It's mainly because the wingbacks immediately rush to the half line and remove themselves as passing option.

Well if they are getting too ahead of play then what does logic tell you to do? Either make them support or move them back to FB positions and keep the role so they stay deeper. You've gave them attacking roles so when you get possession they are being aggressive in their approach and looking to move forward. So if that's not what you want then use either of those options.

You have to remember you use a regista which is a playmaker so he's more inclined to see the ball and pass it around. It could be a case that the playmaker you use doesn't have great decisions, creativity or teamwork to pick them out early enough if that's the case then he's probably staying on the ball longer than is needed as he can't see all available options and because of how you attack the regista may not be the role you need.