Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

You've got good points! :-) I'm thinking to try one player each post, one to close down the corner, other one to stay at the edge of area, and a fast striker remaining forward. Remaining 5 players to defend in zone. What do you think?

This is what I have done from the beginning, and it is as sound as it can be. As Fernando said, you will still give up goals from corners, but they should not be too frequent unless you are totally outclassed. One other thing you can try, and which can be beneficial if you have solid defenders is to set two men forward.The other team will set someone to mark them and you can reduce some of the clutter and confusion in the box with two less extra bodies in there.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of PI's do most people give their lone striker up front? I play a 3-2-2-2-1 and I have a lone DLF(S) flanked by a IF(A) and W(S). I gave him Move into channels but I saw that he was moving wide too much most of the times. Occupying the space of my W(S) and pulling defenders wide to him.

I also thought he was not receiving the ball in dangerous positions enough. Receiving the ball out wide means he can't pass to my IF(A) or W(S) who try to get behind him. So what do others think? Keep him in the middle or let him move into channels to create space(he already moves deep btw).

Am thinking of starting a last save in fm 14 with FC United and have a 4-4-2 in mind.. but have tried it before and can really not get it to work.. =/ so im playing a stright 4-4-2 with a big small combo up front. but its not working at all =/ so please someone how would u do and set up team instructions and the formation.. Thanx in advice

Quick question. Why is it that the CM-d and DM-d roles both have the close down more instruction set active automatically? I'd assume that a CM/DM on defend would have the job of sitting in front of the CB so wouldn't that instruction be counter productive?

Quick question. Why is it that the CM-d and DM-d roles both have the close down more instruction set active automatically? I'd assume that a CM/DM on defend would have the job of sitting in front of the CB so wouldn't that instruction be counter productive?

I'll take a stab at this by suggesting that because they are sitting deep and not venturing forward, they won't be bombing forward to close down. The closing down should happen relatively close to their position which accords with their role of breaking up attacks.

When the GK hoofs the ball forward, what attributes come into play to actually win those balls in the midfield? Is it jumping, bravery, aggression, strength or some combination of those? The AI presses the GK and d-line a lot of the time so I struggle with "distribute to defenders", and I am forced to abandon that and just kick. The AI is so aggressive though, that if I don't win the ball, they are already counterattacking and my defense is in terrible position. I would like to start getting the appropriate attributes for my midfielders so I can start winning a lot more of these jump balls.

I'll take a stab at this by suggesting that because they are sitting deep and not venturing forward, they won't be bombing forward to close down. The closing down should happen relatively close to their position which accords with their role of breaking up attacks.

Cheers for the response. I still think I'll experiment with the close down less instruction. Especially with the CM-d in my 4411. There are times where I feel like he's pushed to far forward rather than keeping position. But that could be all down to him being Lars Bender. He's quite the aggressive one :D

Is there any way to stop a playmaker (DLP/Reg) in the DMC position dropping back into the defense when my keeper has the ball? It's kinda annoying, as if he does it, when either he, or a defender is given the ball, his usual position is completely vacated, leaving me without an obvious (short) outlet to move the ball forward. If he moved forward as soon as the keeper has passed the ball it wouldn't be too bad, but he doesn't. Instead he stays deep until the ball has left the defense. Particularly if the opposition is pressing, this often ends up with him and the two DCs passing the ball backwards and forwards between themselves along the edge of my area which is a horrible risk.

Is there any way to stop a playmaker (DLP/Reg) in the DMC position dropping back into the defense when my keeper has the ball? It's kinda annoying, as if he does it, when either he, or a defender is given the ball, his usual position is completely vacated, leaving me without an obvious (short) outlet to move the ball forward. If he moved forward as soon as the keeper has passed the ball it wouldn't be too bad, but he doesn't. Instead he stays deep until the ball has left the defense. Particularly if the opposition is pressing, this often ends up with him and the two DCs passing the ball backwards and forwards between themselves along the edge of my area which is a horrible risk.

Not really as that's what the role is all about, staying deep when the defenders/keeper have the ball and then trying to play out of the back with it. If you don't want to play out from the back then you shouldn't use a creative role for the DMC position. A Regista is aggressive once he has the ball though so have a look at the roles in front of him and make sure that someone else is also linking the attackers to the defensive ones by dropping back to help too. It sounds like you have your team split into 2 different units rather than playing as a team hence why the DC's and him pass between themselves.

Not really as that's what the role is all about, staying deep when the defenders/keeper have the ball and then trying to play out of the back with it. If you don't want to play out from the back then you shouldn't use a creative role for the DMC position. A Regista is aggressive once he has the ball though so have a look at the roles in front of him and make sure that someone else is also linking the attackers to the defensive ones by dropping back to help too. It sounds like you have your team split into 2 different units rather than playing as a team hence why the DC's and him pass between themselves.

I do want him to play out from the back. The problem is really that he stays level with the CBs even when the CBs have the ball [this is only after the keeper has distributed it short - he doesn't drop back during a passage of play]. I want him to move into the DM position in that case, to give my CBs passing options that don't involve going sideways along my penalty area. Once the ball has moved forward one way or the other, he moves into his "correct" position and once he's in that DM position, he links up things perfectly. He just takes too long to get there in this particular case of keeper distribution to defenders. Stopping him dropping deep altogether was something I was looking for more as a stopgap to fix the issue of him hanging around deep for too long.

To be fair, I'm not convinced it's all the DLPs fault. He doesn't always have a chance to move forward as the CBs give him the ball before he can move. He then gives it back to one of them (as the opposition pressing closes down more forward options - except of course into the space where he would normally be), but before he can get into the DM space, the CB returns the ball to him.

It's frustrating, as otherwise, I like how the role plays. It's just this one niggle that keeps coming up.

I do want him to play out from the back. The problem is really that he stays level with the CBs even when the CBs have the ball [this is only after the keeper has distributed it short - he doesn't drop back during a passage of play]. I want him to move into the DM position in that case, to give my CBs passing options that don't involve going sideways along my penalty area. Once the ball has moved forward one way or the other, he moves into his "correct" position and once he's in that DM position, he links up things perfectly. He just takes too long to get there in this particular case of keeper distribution to defenders. Stopping him dropping deep altogether was something I was looking for more as a stopgap to fix the issue of him hanging around deep for too long.

To be fair, I'm not convinced it's all the DLPs fault. He doesn't always have a chance to move forward as the CBs give him the ball before he can move. He then gives it back to one of them (as the opposition pressing closes down more forward options - except of course into the space where he would normally be), but before he can get into the DM space, the CB returns the ball to him.

It's frustrating, as otherwise, I like how the role plays. It's just this one niggle that keeps coming up.

What tactic and settings are you using? Do you have a screenshot please?

What tactic and settings are you using? Do you have a screenshot please?

It's an asymmetric 451/433. I'll try to remember to get some screenshots when I get home this evening, but here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

...........DLF(s)

IF(a)

........BBM...MC(a)....WM(s)

............DLP(d)

WB(s)..DC(d)..DC(d)..WB(a)

Fluid/Counter

TIs:

Short passing, push higher up, work ball into box, play out of defense (maybe one more I forget)

Can't remember PIs (I think there's a couple)

Now, I know that the MC are both pretty aggressive, pushing forward often, but I've found this is not an issue with regards to passing due to the DLP providing a link between my defense and them from the DM position (it does leave some weaknesses defensively, but I can live with that due to the offensive advantages it offers). The problem is, under the specific case of the keeper distributing to my defenders, the DLP drops deep and, more importantly, stays deep for too long, vacating the DM position, and therefore removing that link.

Thanks for the help by the way :)

But that could be all down to him being Lars Bender. He's quite the aggressive one :D

You know, you make a great point that I, at least, can sometimes forget in the midst of setting roles, duties, PI's etc. Those kind of stats will affect how a role works out on a field for a particular player. You might want close down less for the aggro types- what might he do if you set him to close down more? Press the keeper? :D

I have a bit of trouble understanding how Team Instructions/Mentalities affect my tactics. I used to play FM13 until a few days ago but i thought it's about time to get used to this new system because i want to play FM15!

Let's say i want to play a high defensive line to a certain extent, i know that both mentality and team instructions affect it but not to which extent.:confused:

For example, which of these tactical setups has the highest defensive line?

1) Standard, Push up much higher

2) Control, Push up higher

3) Attacking, No Instruction

4) Overload, Drop deeper

I honestly can't tell. :o

If Mentality is has a stronger effect on the defensive line then how strong is it? Does 1) have a lower line than 3), is it equaly as high?

Or maybe PI's have the stronger effect? I think this is really confusing.

Each TI will adjust a setting to approximately the same setting as the next most attacking or defensive mentality. So using Standard with "Push Higher" will bring you around the Control setting while "Push Much Higher" will bring you around the Attacking setting. So to answer your question:

(4), (3) and (2) are about the same (there's possibly a one click difference but it's negligible). (1) is lower than all of those.

In terms of the baseline, the settings would roughly translate to:

Contain = Extremely Low Block

Defensive = Low Block (defensive line near the edge of the penalty area)

Counter = Medium-Low Block

Standard = Medium Block (defensive line near the edge of the defensive third)

Control = Medium-High Block

Attacking = High Block (defensive line near the halfway line)

Overload = Extremely High Block

And to clarify, the defensive line setting primarily concerns where the defensive line will willingly retreat to when possession is lost. On any setting, the defensive line will push up with the attack during the attacking phase to prevent too great of a disconnect between the midfield and defence.

Can you have more than 3 suitable tutors?

In the tutor overview there are only listed 3 suitable tutors, so I want to know if it is possible to get other players than those three to tutor a youngster (without getting rid of the first three). This is because I have other better tutors that are not listed among those three, but do fulfill the tutoring requirements.

Suitability (by the game's definition) seems to be based on reputation to a high degree so players with lower reputation does not appear among the three available tutors if higher reputation players for the same position are available at the club. This makes it difficult to use excellent tutors like Gusev, Kuyt, Gurpegi and Kehl so I was wondering if there was a way to sort this out. The game really needs a better tutoring menu.

Ultimately I may have to sell my first team players as the prospect of making a regen/homegrown army all with 18(+) ambition, determination and professionalism is too enticing.

I really don't know why tactical familarity takes so long so be fluid. I have played 13 matches and it still isn't fluid. I have 3 almost the same tactics and all the players I bought were playing in almost all those matches. Why is it taking so long? They are all about 60-70%

Learning more than 1 tactic at a time takes longer. Also bringing new players in also means it takes longer. Buying players and playing them doesn't make the familiarity go up quicker.

You know, you make a great point that I, at least, can sometimes forget in the midst of setting roles, duties, PI's etc. Those kind of stats will affect how a role works out on a field for a particular player. You might want close down less for the aggro types- what might he do if you set him to close down more? Press the keeper? :D

Knowing him, he'd probably try :D

Another question. I have 2 WMs set up as inside forwards/playmakers so they move centrally from time to time. Would it be better for me to employ the TI shorter passing as my attacking players will all be playing closer to each other anyway?

If I'm using TI "Much Higher Tempo/Higher Tempo", is "Route One/More Direct Passing" any worth?

It will change your passing length, so yes, it has worth if that is what you are wanting to achieve.

Hi,

I've got a question about tutoring concerning reputation. I'm getting very confused regarding the reputation part of tutoring (and it seems I'm not alone :p). I've got a perfect tutor with worldwide reputation and his squad status is set to key player. The tutee has a continental reputation and his squad status is set to squad rotation, he's also under 23. How on earth am I unable to tutor this continental rep guy, because surely worldwide > continental? Is there some hidden, tucked away information happening here?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before.

I want to hard code 'mark specific player' into my tactic so that i don't have to do it before each game, but i can't find where i can do that! Can anybody help?

Thanks!

As far as I know there's no way of doing this. You have to keep doing what you're doing :)

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered... I'm learning how to run my own training in FM14 instead of leaving it to assistant manager... is there any way to work out if I need to allocate time to team cohesion training or teamwork match preparation? i.e. to help the squad gel? There used to be an indicator for this in a previous edition of the game, but I can't find it in FM14.

So, basically, I want my strikers to receive the ball at their feet in central areas and run at the opposition CBs. What roles and instructions should I use to best achieve this? Thanks.

You want to use striker roles who offer support options and like to dribble. Trequartista and Complete Forward (Support) will work. DLF (Support) + Dribble More can do the job as well.

You want to use striker roles who offer support options and like to dribble. Trequartista and Complete Forward (Support) will work. DLF (Support) + Dribble More can do the job as well.

Tried DLF and dribble more but found that they tended to drift into wide areas a bit too much for my liking. Even tried adding hold position but didn't really seem to help.

Will give CF and Treq a go. Thanks.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered... I'm learning how to run my own training in FM14 instead of leaving it to assistant manager... is there any way to work out if I need to allocate time to team cohesion training or teamwork match preparation? i.e. to help the squad gel? There used to be an indicator for this in a previous edition of the game, but I can't find it in FM14.

Got to staff responsibilities then find Runs General Training and set it to your manager.

Not sure if this is a particularly stupid question, but I didn't think it warranted a whole new thread...

I've been playing around with my Central Defenders recently as they are all good on the ball/good at passing/creative. Originally I had them set to play more direct/risky passes in order to take advantage of this, whilst also encouraging them to clear the lines when necessary. My current mentality settings mean they are maybe aiming to play around at the back more than I would like, so a more direct game seems logical.

Further to this playing around, I have also been testing them as Ball Playing Defenders as this may also encourage the play I'm looking for. What do you lot reckon are the differences between these two roles? That is a Central Defender on Defend duty asked to play more direct/risky passes and a simple Ball Playing Defender on Defend duty.

Is there any instance where the TI drill crosses would actually be beneficial? Or is it simply just a preference based TI?

It just results in hard hit, generally near post crosses, as opposed to lofted, far post floated crosses. Theoretically it better suits a system with quick attackers breaking from deep into space.

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before.

I want to hard code 'mark specific player' into my tactic so that i don't have to do it before each game, but i can't find where i can do that! Can anybody help?

Thanks!

If you set your man marking and then save your tactic during a match, that saved tactic will have the man marking "hard coded" into it. Just remember to actually load the saved tactic after the game.

Hey guys, another question for you!

What impact does team cohesion training have? Does it affect moral? If so, if I am hitting a slump and moral is down, would changing training to team cohesion help?

Thanks Again.

No it doesn't it helps new players gel with their team mates.

So, Im gonna try a save with Man Utd when FM15 is out, and want to try and emulate LvG (as soo many others I presume).

Im gonna go for the 4-4-2 diamond as the main set up, with the following roles:

GK - Nothing special, prob throw distribution

Wing Back (right) - attack

Central defender - defend

Central defender - defend

Wing Back (left) - support

Defensive midfielder - defend

CM (right) - Support

CM (left) - attack, dribble more, run wide

Advanced Playmaker - attack, roam

DLF - support

Advanced forward - Attack

Obviously the CM Left is trying to emulate Di Maria, an CM Right is a Herrera type, who is more present in both defence and offence.

For team instructions Im thinking:

- Higher tempo

- Play wider

- Play out of defence

So here are a few questions:

1. Any obvious personal/team instructions I have missed/should remove from the above?

2. Im thinking a standard mentality with a fluid or very fluid philosophy, seeing how few specialist roles I have. Does this seem sensible?

3. Is it a "mistake" to have both the CM left and Advanced playmaker with an attack duty? Should perhaps the CM left have a support duty, or maybe the Advanced playmaker have a support, for better balance? Im thinking the latter might be better, seeing how much work Rooney puts in a game, and is all over the pitch. However Im also afraid this would take away from the main role of the advanced playmaker as the one who links midfield to attack and sets up moves.

Cheers for any feedback

Hello and please excuse my poor English! In the video you can see the advanced playmaker making a surge forward but then he stops. If he has the "gets forward..." ppm will that make him continue his run or I need to use CM(a) in order to achieve this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVjynNdh4xc

Now the really stupid part: do I actually want him to continue this run? My logic (maybe flawed) is that if he continued the run then the FB would have been forced to make a decision whether to mark the AP or leave him alone and intercept the WMr. I guess in both scenarios the chance would have been much better.

Thank you!

I dont get why the PI for a winger has "Cross More Often" greyed out as "Unavailable for role and duty selected". I thought the main idea for a winger is to cross a lot? If so, shouldn't it be greyed out as "Already active for this role and duty" instead?

What is the effect of using shorter passing, retain possession, Much higher tempo? I assume passing is lowered to the lowest possible for current mentality and tempo increased to the max.

The adjustments are smaller than that. You'll reduce passing range and width while "Much Higher Tempo" will effectively negate the tempo changes from shorter passing/retain possession.

The adjustments are smaller than that. You'll reduce passing range and width while "Much Higher Tempo" will effectively negate the tempo changes from shorter passing/retain possession.

Thanks. Was looking to try and play the shortest possible passing game with a high tempo and attacking mentality.