*OFFICIAL* Blog Feedback - Tactics

There are four new shouts, which nobody seems to have picked up on:

1: Play Ball out of Defence

2: Run at Defence

3: Play through Defence

4: Hit Early Crosses

I noticed! Do I win anything? :p

What precisely do they do to the tactical instructions WWFan? I could probably guess most of them actually but want the official info! ;)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the point that Miles was making about player instructions and not having to switch them to other tactics? :confused:

Was he saying that if you make advanced changes (e.g. if I was to change the creative freedom of a player) then that would apply to your backup tactics too? That confused me, to be honest. I wasn't sure what he was saying.

Are the advanced settings even still in? I didn't see the advanced settings panel. I hope they are!

I noticed! Do I win anything? :p

What precisely do they do to the tactical instructions WWFan? I could probably guess most of them actually but want the official info! ;)

Roughly (it's been a while):

1: Minimises passing length in the back two strata

2: Increases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

3: Decreases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

4: Increases crossing and reduces cross from a notch for wide players

The addition to assign a player a role is a change. Before you had to set the position in the formation and dedicate a role to that position. So putting a DM in the DM slot. If you subbed the DM for a AM you had to fiddle around with the DM role to get it to the AM role. Now if you have Miguel Velosso in the DM role and you sub him for Steven Gerrard, it will use the role you predefined in Steven Gerrards settings and not the DM role defined in the formation.

And the addition of building your own "Shouts" is also new.

How hard is that to understand?

If you replace a DM with with AM, you can also change the position on the pitch ( it will change itself ?))

I really don't undersantnd, please help !!!

Roughly (it's been a while):

1: Minimises passing length in the back two strata

2: Increases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

3: Decreases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

4: Increases crossing and reduces cross from a notch for wide players

:confused: Run with ball?

Isn't custom shouts just a quicker way to shout?

Why are people so excited about this?

Also, why can't I still put my players anywhere I want on the pitch when I'm making a tactic? And why can't I still make some specific lines of my tactic play wider, while keeping other lines closer, like real managers do?

How long must we wait for some actual improvements in the tactics area?

Isn't custom shouts just a quicker way to shout?

Why are people so excited about this?

It reduces the number of clicks, which is always a good thing.

Also, why can't I still put my players anywhere I want on the pitch when I'm making a tactic?

That's good old wib/wob making of tactics, and I think wwfan said it would never come back because with that system it's too easy to exploit the engine.

And why can't I still make some specific lines of my tactic play wider, while keeping other lines closer, like real managers do?

Now that's one the many tactical details that really need improvement in FM. TC and shouts are really nice, but they need to be more flexible and detailed (but should not force a user to overcomplicate things if he doesn't want to).

Any actual changes to the tactics? Be it in the creator, or just simply being able to arrange your formation more freely? It's been glaringly obvious how limited it is for the past few versions, and it appears again it's been overlooked yet again for "features" (GUI changes and about 1000 different ways to influence team motivation) that add little to the actual gameplay (managing your team how you want)

If not, for something that's put forward as a simulation, it's remarkably restricting

0:29 into the blog the drop down menu has 'Team Meeting' and 'Team Policy' as options. These are additions to last years iteration.

In the Tutorial video it shows that Team Policy is basically the equivalent to the "Team Settings" page. You know, the "take control of reserves, give Assistant control of Reserves/Team Talks/Youth, offer players out at 100/200/50% and set transfer listed" etc, just with a new name.

Has the Match Engines ability/coding of the back 3 (DCL DC DCR, needed for formations like 343, 352/532 or 523) been polished/worked?

Doubt it, it's pretty stupid that even within the formations and positions we're FORCED to use, we can't make certain positions behave like we want, or even like they should.

Can't see either of us getting a response though

Doubt it, it's pretty stupid that even within the formations and positions we're FORCED to use, we can't make certain positions behave like we want, or even like they should.

You could just wait and see with the demo, much easier to see if they work.

Guess you were right, pretty poor from the developers really. :applause:

Has anything been changed in term of the 'swap with' option?? I used to love that option but it became almost unusable last year as the players would swap roles as well, i.e. to a role that they didn't fit well.

For example, two wingers (one right footed, one left footed) when they swapped they remained wingers with 'hugs touchline', where ideally when they swapped they should become 'cuts inside'. I found no way round this without switching them manually which soon gets irritating.

MAJOR letdown if this isn't fixed in 2012. It's all I want.. could care less about shouts and other weird stuff, like new camera angles and ****. Get grinding on the lack of flexibility in the ME tactics, SI! Or atleast fix the broken horizontal movement.

These new additions sound good, especially being able to save specific roles to the player and not the position on the pitch. Anybody else think players should be able to swap position with more than one player though? The team i support, Blackpool, play with 3 strikers up top and at times all three are interlinking and swapping positions. I tried to do this just now with my Villa team as a I play 4-2-3-1 with Hazard, Young and Downing (all 3 can play across the attacking midfield positions) but I found that you can only only swap positions between two players. Probably a minor issue and I dont even usually use that tool but it certainly happens IRL so could be a good addition.

For example, two wingers (one right footed, one left footed) when they swapped they remained wingers with 'hugs touchline', where ideally when they swapped they should become 'cuts inside'. I found no way round this without switching them manually which soon gets irritating.

I think the best thing to do for that probably is to put it to 'move into channels', sort of like the best of both worlds i think

the custom shout is definitely impressive but i guessing it would have to be explain more in-depth for people who are weak in the english like me....for example i don't understand what the shout of Hassle opponent means and stand-off opponent really mean...

From wwfan:

Closing Down Modifiers

Hassle Opponents

Effect: Instructs the team to close down the opposition and reduce the space available.

Action: Vastly increases closing down settings, changes marking to tight-man, increases tempo.

Useful: When needing to regain possession quickly; when playing against a slow, technically inferior team; when needing to reduce space for the opposition.

Stand-Off Opponents

Effect: Instructs the team to hold back from the opposition and try to direct them away from danger.

Action: Vastly decreases closing down settings, changes marking to loose-zonal, decreases tempo.

Useful: When playing against a quick, technically superior team; when needing to hold team defensive shape; when looking for more space to break down a team who refuse to come out of their own half.

All sounds very good, can't wait to get to exploring the game. Only things I really want that I haven't seen regarding tactics are with and without possession instructions and more control over set-pieces, i.e. comprehensive design over runs an positions as well as exactly who takes free kicks and what they do with them in various areas of the pitch.

Being able to permanently assign roles/tactics/instructions to specific players rather than just that position sounds superb though if I've understood it right and this will be included, something that has frustrated me constantly in particular is having to reassign set piece positioning when changing them players around.

Love the sound of the tone thing regarding team talks and touchline shouts. I just hope that they are implemented quicker, far too many times I've conceded while having waited 4 or 5 minutes for tactics and/or substitutions to be implemented (regardless of the amount of stoppages in play), they need to actually work as a shout would. Motivational shouts would be great too.

Will it be possible to apply the shouts multiple times, it would be good to have sort of multiple levels to the shouts for when the players don't listen the first time, i.e. "work ball into box" and players still waste too many chances shooting inaccurately from range.

All these new additions look good, but there is one thing that I really really want in tactics!

I want the ability to exactly position a player on the pitch, not to some preset locking slots. Come on guys, even Fifa implemented this years ago! I want to be able to position one of my wingers slightly more inside than the other, one of my CB slightly deeper and one of my strikers slightly wider.

Please sort this out!!!!

All these new additions look good, but there is one thing that I really really want in tactics!

I want the ability to exactly position a player on the pitch, not to some preset locking slots. Come on guys, even Fifa implemented this years ago! I want to be able to position one of my wingers slightly more inside than the other, one of my CB slightly deeper and one of my strikers slightly wider.

Please sort this out!!!!

You do that by giving them different duties and adjusting their mentalities. I can still see where are you coming from, but personally I like it this way.

You do that by giving them different duties and adjusting their mentalities. I can still see where are you coming from, but personally I like it this way.

I would like to see a screen that shows how they line up on the pitch with changes (hope i explained that right) but agree you can do that already with duties and mentalities

I would like to see a screen that shows how they line up on the pitch with changes (hope i explained that right) but agree you can do that already with duties and mentalities

I understand you and that would be a nice touch. To have an alternative tactic screen showing us where players are exactly placed on the pitch when we assign them roles and duties.

Please sort this out!!!!

The problem is that the current match engine has 5 vertical lines of positions (starting positions):-

Line 1: SWL-----DL----WBL------ML----AML-----SL

Line 3: SWCL----DCL--DMCL----MCL---AMCL----SCL

Line 4: SWC-----DC----DMC-----MC----AMC-----SC

Line 5: SWCR---DCR---DMCR---MCR---AMCR---SCR

Line 7: SWR-----DR----WBR-----MR----AMR-----SR

Lines 3 & 5, position the player(s) centrally. So you cannot instruct players to have a starting position which is ‘in-between the lines’ or in a semi-wide role (when playing against a formation such as flat 442).

“I want to be able to position one of my wingers slightly more inside than the other”. At the moment moving a wingers’ position more infield would for example be:-

MR (from Line7) to (Line 5) MCR. He would line up directly against the opposition MCL, who is the oppositions central (left) midfielder in a flat 4 in midfield. When all you want is for this player to start of in a position in-between the lines (between the oppositions ML & MCL) in theory MRC (missing Line 6).

The solution that I posted sometime before FM11, is to have 2 more vertical lines into the match engine:-

Line 2: SWLC----DLC----DMLC----MLC----AMLC----SLC

Line 6: SWRC----DRC----DMRC---MRC----AMRC----SRC

This would then see the match engine have 7 vertical lines of positions (starting positions):-

Line 1: SWL------DL-----WBL-----ML-----AML-----SL

Line 2: SWLC---DLC---DMLC---MLC---AMLC---SLC

Line 3: SWCL-----DCL---DMCL----MCL---AMCL----SCL

Line 4: SWC------DC----DMC------MC----AMC-----SC

Line 5: SWCR----DCR---DMCR----MCR---AMCR---SCR

Line 6: SWRC---DRC--DMRC---MRC--AMRC---SRC

Line 7: SWR------DR----WBR-----MR-----AMR-----SR

Lines 2 & 6, should position the player(s) semi-wide. So you should be able to instruct players to have a starting position which is ‘in-between the lines’ (when playing against a formation like flat 442).

As mentioned before “I want to be able to position one of my wingers slightly more inside than the other”:-

MR (from Line7) to (Line 6) MRC. He would not line up directly against the opposition MCL (who is the oppositions central

midfielder in a flat 4 in midfield). Instead he would be in a position “in-between the lines” in theory MRC.

Please sort this out!!!!

I want this too, for sure. More so horizontally, rather than vertically, so I can put one winger closer inside than out. I'd find this so much more simple than setting mentalities.

Archived