Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of effort but not much craft on show there. Henderson was anonymous and the second half completely passed Adam and Downing by. Disappointingly low on quality football and a really poor goal conceded. Meh. Will be kind and put it down to lack of sharpness and so many new faces.

Flanagan caught out for the goal, as were the three players who got sucked to the ball when it was crossed.

Disappointing considering how good we looked going forward (in the first half at least). What concerned me most was how susceptible we looked on the break. The midfield were nowhere to be seen with the exception of Lucas.

They managed to close that gap in between midfield and attack we were exploiting in the 2nd half. Downing effort highlighted that, only had to cut onto Richardson's right foot and their midfield was nowhere to be seen. Think all the debutants can hold their head up after that. Luis, Lucas, Big Andy, Flanno looked off the pace.

awful second half performance, dont think we even had a shot on target there. we tired badly in the end but still, not good enough really. flanagan was our worst player on the pitch and he played like that a few times last season, hes only young and learning though so i cant give him too much stick and he should be 3rd choice anyway.

lucas and henderson disappointed aswell

What is the point of Henderson? What does he actually do? I'm not even being sarcastic. Flanagan got bummed all game, but it isn't his fault. Central midfield became non existent and there ended up being no fluidity in passing; resulting in crap long balls to Carroll, and Dirk in the end.

Bit of a shambles in the end tbh. Need a win at Arsenal to balance things out again.

basically this. Luis scores the pen; we get the three points.

Game could easily have played out the same, not like there was a massive gap in between the pen and his goal.

Trolling starting early I see.

Didn't see the game but this thread suggests we played 4-4-2. I thought it would be a 4-3-3 when I saw the line-up?

Also, bit ****ed off that Kenny won't even put Aquaman on the bench. Even if he's getting sold, its not fair on the lad and only going to put off potential buyers.

awful second half performance, dont think we even had a shot on target there. we tired badly in the end but still, not good enough really. flanagan was our worst player on the pitch and he played like that a few times last season, hes only young and learning though so i cant give him too much stick and he should be 3rd choice anyway.

lucas and henderson disappointed aswell

Lucas? Thought he was great. Never a player expected to bag goals; he did a massive amount of closing down in midfield and providing a passing option when we had the ball.

The ref was awful for starters, Richardson i think it was should of been sent off. Poor penalty by Suarez, i still think that he should of had a shot instead of trying to take the keeper on.

Henderson was anonymous all game. Lucas had a good first half and he went missing a bit in the 2nd, you could say the same about Downing. Carroll was poor and for a centre back Agger is poor at heading the ball.

I thought Carragher had a fairly good game as did Pepe. Enrique was decent enough considering it was his first game for us.

I think that Kuyt should of started instead of Henderson.

As a team first half was good we should/could been 2-0 up at half time, I am not to sure why Carrolls' goal was flagged was it offside or a foul? ... W.Brown had his best ever game today as well. Think we were unlucky not to win this game.

didnt think there was much wrong with the carroll goal. brown got himself into an awkward position and got it all wrong and alls carroll did was put his hand on his back.

we really could have been 3-0 up at half time against 10 men on another day. still no excuse for the second half tho.

How did Downing do and how has he done so far? The one thing that always surprised people who start to watch him is how quick he is. He is as quick as any in the league and is an intelligent footballer. His biggest problem is just keeping in the game and then sometimes he isn't direct enough for his ability. He could beat defenders all day long but doesn't run at full backs often enough. He'll show his class though.

Jordan Henderson on the other hand, £20 million was laughable, Really never undestood what he actually brings to a team. A bit of a Jenas, can do everything to a very average level.

Lucas? Thought he was great. Never a player expected to bag goals; he did a massive amount of closing down in midfield and providing a passing option when we had the ball.

he closed down well yeah but i thought his passing was quite poor all game tbh.

How did Downing do and how has he done so far? The one thing that always surprised people who start to watch him is how quick he is. He is as quick as any in the league and is an intelligent footballer. His biggest problem is just keeping in the game and then sometimes he isn't direct enough for his ability. He could beat defenders all day long but doesn't run at full backs often enough. He'll show his class though.

Jordan Henderson on the other hand, £20 million was laughable, Really never undestood what he actually brings to a team. A bit of a Jenas, can do everything to a very average level.

downing was one of our best players. his run from our own half and shot from 25 yards was the best bit of quality all game.

lets not forget there were a lot of new players playing together today and they need to get to know each other better. you could see at times they werent on the same wavelength for parts of the game and in the 2nd half they werent versed enough in playing off each other which is probably why we were so poor under pressure.

Ugh just back in, seemed after the first 30 minutes that we could score whenever we fancied which seemed to be our downfall really. Sat back, allowed Sunderland to find a rhythm and it was all downhill from there.

On another day we win by about 3-4 goals, oh well, was never going to be easy was it? haha

flanagan was ****ing horrible yesterday. tough for him to step up like that first game of the season at his age i guess (and he performed well when asked last season tbf to him) but he really was a liability.

lucas was poor as was carroll i thought. downing v good.

what a goal by larsson though. just pinged off his boot perfectly.

THE LIVERPOOL TRACKER 11/12

Appearances

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT  
Charlie Adam         1               1
Daniel Agger         1               1
Jamie Carragher      1               1
Andy Carroll         1               1
Stuart Downing       1               1
Jose Enrique         1               1
John Flanagan        1               1
Jordan Henderson     1               1
Lucas Leiva          1               1
Pepe Reina           1               1
Luis Suarez          1               1
Dirk Kuyt             (1)             (1)
Raul Meireles         (1)             (1)

Goals

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

Assists

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

Significant Contributions To Goals

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

Penalties Won/Scored

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT
Luis Suarez          1               1 (Taken by Suarez, missed, 0/1)

Penalties Conceded

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

Pepe Reina's Golden Gloves

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

At Fault For Goal

MAJOR

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT
John Flanagan        1               1

MINOR

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

Thread Man of the Match

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT
Stuart Downing       1               1

Official LFC Man of the Match

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

Discipline

REDS

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT

YELLOWS

PREM  FAC  LC   TOT
Jamie Carragher      1               1
Jordan Henderson     1               1
Dirk Kuyt            1               1

League Position By Game

Added in a MOTM from the official site, will be a decent comparison.

Barely saw Henderson touch the ball. And route 1 football thanks to Andy Carroll.... Zzzzzzzzz

**** comment.

We weren't playing long ball for the first 30 minutes when Carroll was on the pitch? We started doing it through a combination of fatigue and frustration at being closed down in the middle of the park. Carroll wasn't thrilled at the predicament either but that's how it goes, loads of positives to be taken from the game just need to get the fitness levels up.

Downing motm for me.

Rumour going round that Cole, Greek and AA not in squad. I have also heard Suarez, spearing, Enrique and Kuyt to start but only heard it from one or two people so wont take that as gospel and can't see Spearing or Lucas starting and if Suarez is fit after copa America so is Lucas.

Really happy we got Cahill that's if the rumours are true but signing him will mean the entire back four (when agger starts with Cahill) is comfortable on the ball and likes to bring the ball out of defence.

Reina, Doni

Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan

Agger, Carragher, Skrtel, Cahill

Enrique, Aurelio, Robinson

Kuyt, Henderson, Downing

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Meireles, Aquilani,

Downing, Maxi, Aurelio

Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt, Morgan (if we don't buy a back up striker)

That's a good squad, most of the defence has pace and comfortable on the ball.

Decent left footers in the squad and set pieces should be better this season.

Decent bench and decent back up for players

Players playing with a smile on their face, able to express themselves no more notepad restricting what they are good at

Togetherness and buzz around the place

Title might be beyond us this season but I think we will challenge and still be in the mix come April. I still think today will be a tough game not 100% sure we will win but really excited and giddy about the season ahead.

Did say I'm not convinced we would win yesterday but we will still have a good season ;) First game of the season is always tough as so

called smaller opposition raise their game everyone starts on 0 points and there are shocks in the first few weeks. Liverpool bought a

lot of players during the summer and they are still getting to know each other.

First game of the season guys so lets not over react just yet :)

got to say I disagree with the people slating carroll. was absolutely massive in the first half. faded in the second half as our play got more predictable and it was easier to shut him down.

suarez and lucas looked gassed from the start. definitely need a rest. flanagan way too nervy. can see all the talent there but needs time to settle and put it all together. henderson a bit average, but didn't really put a foot wrong all game either.

Archived