Group F - Italy v New Zealand, 3pm, ITV

bomma

ita.pngV nzl.png

Venue

1185926_FULL-LND.jpg

Venue: Nelspruit

Date: Sunday, 20 June 2010

Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage: ITV and BBC Radio 5 live, live text commentary and video highlights (UK users only) on this website

TEAM NEWS

Injured Italy keeper Gianluigi Buffon will be replaced by Cagliari's Federico Marchetti. Buffon is suffering from a herniated disc in his back, and Italy are unsure when he will be able to return.

The Azzurri are tipped to switch to the 4-4-2 formation that Marcello Lippi used in the second half against Paraguay. Either Antonio Di Natale or Vincenzo Iaquinta will partner Alberto Gilardino up front. Playmaker Andrea Pirlo remains sidelined by a calf problem.

New Zealand midfielder Tim Brown is expected to be available after recovering from shoulder surgery. He could replace veteran defender Ivan Vicelich, who filled in as a holding midfielder in the 1-1 draw with Slovakia on Tuesday.

One booking from suspension: Camoranesi (Italy), Lochhead & Reid (both New Zealand)

MATCH PREVIEW

The World Cup has already produced surprise defeats for Spain, France and Germany - could defending champions Italy be the next heavyweight to hit the canvas? The Azzurri were unimpressive in their draw against Paraguay on Monday, when they only avoided defeat thanks to an error from Paraguayan goalkeeper Justo Villar.

In contrast, Group F outsiders New Zealand will be on a high after Winston Reid's injury-time equaliser against Slovakia gave the All Whites their first-ever World Cup point.

To make matters worse for Italy they lost goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon to injury, with a herniated disc in his back forcing him off at half-time. The Juventus star has won 102 caps - his replacement, Cagliari's Federico Marchetti, has played just six times for the Azzurri and only made his Serie A debut two years ago. His only previous competitive start was Italy's final qualifier against Cyprus, when nothing was at stake.

Marchetti replaced Marco Amelia as Buffon's understudy last year following Amelia's disastrous display in the 4-3 win against New Zealand. The All Whites led three times in the friendly match, staged in Pretoria as a warm-up for the Confederations Cup. The Kiwis constantly troubled Italy with long balls and set pieces, and coach Ricki Herbert will ask for more of the same in Nelspruit.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

- The only previous meeting between Italy and New Zealand was last year's friendly, which the Azzurri won 4-3.

-The Azzurri have yet to win a match in 2010. They have drawn with Paraguay, Switzerland and Cameroon and lost to Mexico.

ITALY

- Marcello Lippi's team have yet to win a match in 2010. They have drawn with Paraguay, Switzerland and Cameroon and lost to Mexico.

- Ten of Italy's last 15 World Cup goals have come from set pieces.

- The last time the Azzurri brought a goalkeeper off the bench at a World Cup was in 1994, when they went on to reach the final. Gianluca Pagliuca was sent off against Norway in the group stage, with Roberto Baggio making way for replacement keeper Luca Marchegiani.

NEW ZEALAND

- Their victory against Serbia in May is the only time in the last eight years that the All Whites have beaten a country in the top 50 of the Fifa rankings.

- New Zealand lost all three games on their only previous World Cup appearance in 1982, losing 5-2 to Scotland, 3-0 to the USSR and 4-0 against Brazil.

- Three squad members have played at non-league level in England. Leo Bertos had a stint with Worksop, James Bannatyne turned out for Yeading and Shane Smeltz had spells with Mansfield, AFC Wimbledon and Halifax.

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Carlos Batres (Guatemala)

Assistants: Leonel Leal (Costa Rica) and Carlos Pastrana (Honduras)

Fourth official: Koman Coulibaly (Mali)

New Zealand need something special to get anything from this game tbh.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way this WC is going I have no idea what to expect...:D

I'm just hoping for goals from Gilardino and or Di Natale...:thup:

Not sure how I feel about Italy going back to 4-4-2...but obviously trequartista Marchisio failed horribly...

I think if Italy can play like their 2nd half performance against Paraguay then we should be able to win...but our play in the final third is horrendous.:thdn:

my nation will be cheering on our kiwi bro's to get a result (aside from italian-australians)

would be good for the world cup if the Kiwis can nab a draw!

Absolutely, we're behind New Zealand all the way and if any Kiwis excell at the world cup they will be claimed as Australians. :D Its just the way it is.

Would love for New Zealand to get somthing from this game, but realistically they wont. They do not have anything like near enough quality going forward to be able to threaten Italy, and they will be dismantled in the midfield. Will be one of those battling defensive performance which will ultimately leak two or three goals.

Either that or the Italians completely underestimate the Kiwis and Fallan or Killen is able to put them on their arse at some point, and than hang on for the win. Would love that. But cant see it happening.

As per last game think Smeltz and Bertos will be very important for the Kiwis. Lockheed had a pretty poor game last time and really needs to improve or the Kiwis will get stuffed down the left.

I predict Italy's usual sloppy 1-0 win...

The goal will likely come as a result of a set piece.

I smell another boring kick-and-run game, just like the opening ones in group F

Come on New Zealand, pretty much no chance of them winning as their last goal was great but pretty much there only chance. They might be able to grab a goal from a set piece or corner but I can't really see them winning. Still hope they do though.

I think Lippi is going for the same 4-4-2 that he used in 2006 WC.

Marchisio and Pepe interchanging flanks, Pepe to drift inside and Marchisio to be the front-lying defensive midfielder (Perrotta role).

When Di Natale comes on inevitably he will drift to the wing and occupy a mild fantasista role.

I think Lippi is going for the same 4-4-2 that he used in 2006 WC.

Marchisio and Pepe interchanging flanks, Pepe to drift inside and Marchisio to be the front-lying defensive midfielder (Perrotta role).

When Di Natale comes on inevitably he will drift to the wing and occupy a mild fantasista role.

Another great tactical mind by Lippi then. Marchisio on the flank? He's not Gerrard. He could at least try to put Di Natale on the flank and let Marchisio sit on the bench. Or swap the positions of Marchisio and Montolivo.

Group-stage crash. Lucky that it's only New Zealand.

Another great tactical mind by Lippi then. Marchisio on the flank? He's not Gerrard. He could at least try to put Di Natale on the flank and let Marchisio sit on the bench. Or swap the positions of Marchisio and Montolivo.

Group-stage crash. Lucky that it's only New Zealand.

What? Gerrard doesn't even play good on the left...:D Probably his worst position...

Yes Di Natale should be on the left...

If New Zealand win today, it would probably ultimately result in football finally equalling or even overcoming Rugby in that country.

So if you hate the All Blacks, pray for a kiwi win!

Oh, and probably a knighthood for Herbert. Odd that New Zealand have decided to re-allow recieving them, while we here in Australia dont. But anyway.

Or would they start doing those ridiculous native dances at football, too? :D

The all whites have the done the Haka once iirc. They dropped since it looks stupid for them to be doing it! And also since there are very few players of maori descent who have ever played for the national team.

Ah good, Italy vs New Zealand and it's all about England, brilliant. And apparently John Terry knows all about triumph over adversity, Christ almighty.

"Are Italy too old?" is probably the question these panelists have been asking since World Cup 2002, Italy aren't even the oldest bloody team in the tournament.

I hate ITV :(

Archived