Your top 3 favorite players (FM08)

Who are your top 3 favorite players in the game and why? Not just who you think are the best quality, but rather who you like the most of players you've had for any reason you may have.

Mine:

1. Oscar Cardozo - completely undervalued by AI but I don't care. He simply scores more than any other striker. Averages 1 per match.

2. Taye Taiwo - most consistently reliable defender I've seen. Never seen a 6, rarely a 7, usually 8. Gives loads of great assists when going forward.

3. Petr Cech - has a couple of bad games per season but I don't mind since the rest of the season he's just unbelievable.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Marcus Tudgay - most relaible player I've ever had

2. Jimmy Briand - broke my clubs previous scoring records on a Sheff Wed game

3. Dave Peake - a regen striker from my Sheff Wed academy. Had two 30+ goal seasons before he was 21

1. Dickson Choto - Plays extremely well at any club outside of the top English/Spanish/Italian big 4s. Had him at Rangers and he was player of the season for four years on the bounce.

2. Pennant - Signed him as Newcastle and he's knocked a few in and is my top assist man.

3. Coloccini - Had him at Newcastle using Weegie update and he is amazing.

I have loads, so I'll do 3 from both of my clubs that I've managed:

Leeds:

1. Mirko Antenucci (Italian ST) - great player, avaeraged at 1.5 goals p/game, amazing striker, although he is very underrated by the AI - he rarely gets a game now I've left. :(.

2. Jay Spearing (English CM) - Very able player when I was there, maybe I overrated him a bit, and I was very biased, but I stuck with him, and he became a great midfielder. Again, he fell out of favour when I left, and is now at Burnley.

3. Jack Hobbs (English CB) - Best defender I ever managed at Leeds, rarely had a bad game. Is now an England international.

Lyon:

1. Casper Jannson [Regen] (Danish CM) - I really like this player, signed him from Blackburn and is one of the best players I have ever seen on this game, unbevielably good. Rarely has a bad game.

2. Oskar Andersen [Regen] (Norweigen CB) - I managed him at Leeds and knew he had a good future and was not getting the opportunity at Leeds, so I signed him and he is now 1st team for me. Again, I might be slightly biased towards him, but he is a fantastic team player.

3. Fred (Brazilian ST) - my captain, and is now 32 and is still blasting them in. However, I fear that I may have to replace him soon, but I think he can see out another season.

At Wigan:

1. Emile Heskey. Machine, especially in the air.

2. Alexis Sanchez. Unfortunately, a 19-year old scoring 30 goals in the season doesn't go unnoticed and Inter want him...

3. Mike Pollitt. Two seasons, the keeper has an average rating of 7.67 . Like no-one I've ever seen, easily the best keeper I've had. He made me sell Kirkland, despite being ten years his senior.

At Rangers

1. Barry Ferguson - continued as captain a role hes had for somthing like 10 years and despite a compact midfield area he still puts in a performance every game to force a start in the next game.

2. Roman Pavlychenko - The Russian was my first signing and helped attract Andriy Arshavin but in the 3 previous seasons i had managed European Golden Boot 3 years running and player of the year. 4th season hes started slow but hes still a huge pressance.

3. Ali Knox [Regen] (Scottish CM) - At 17 he hasnt warranted a first team place yet as i have a strong central midfield but he usually comes off the bench with the odd start and put a performance worthy of a first team place in. any injurys i know i have a player very able to step up and replace Ferguson and Fernandes.

At Wigan:

1. Emile Heskey. Machine, especially in the air.

2. Alexis Sanchez. Unfortunately, a 19-year old scoring 30 goals in the season doesn't go unnoticed and Inter want him...

3. Mike Pollitt. Two seasons, the keeper has an average rating of 7.67 . Like no-one I've ever seen, easily the best keeper I've had. He made me sell Kirkland, despite being ten years his senior.

Why don't Arsenal go after Alexis? ;)

Anyway, for me (spoilers):

1.Eddie Johnson. Legend. Fast, strong, good finisher. I've signed him for clubs at various levels, and he's scored for them all.

2. Claudio Maldonado. Defensive midfielder from Chile. Great passer of the ball, high average rating.

3. Toss up. Martin Skrtel probably wins it though.

I signed all of them in a six month period- I won the title about a year after I signed Skrtel.

1.fernando torres. he gets the ball he scores again. fernando torres liverpools number 9. 'nuff said

2. mamadou sakho turns into imo the best cb in the world in the future doesnt let anyone past him.

3.Henri Lansbury. he wouldnt normally have been my choice but he came in as an injruy replacement for gerrard these few games. he was so brilliantly assistfull? (if thats a word :D) and consistant he replaced him permanently.

1. Cristiano Ronaldo - Not exactly a controversial choice, but he's just so good for my Man. United team.

2. Rio Ferdinand - Had a wobble when he turned 32, but he's now 33 and back to his very best. First name on my team sheet, team captain, and, yes, United legend by now (2012).

3. Igor Akinfeev - It cost me £32million to sign him from Man. City, but he's proven to be worth every penny. As if evidence were needed, we took 13 games to concede our first goal in the 2011/2012 season. Obviously my defence have been a big part of that. But when they've been breached, Akinfeev is almost unbeatable. Truly a superkeeper, and he's all mine.

1) Fernando Torres - One of the best players I have ever managed in the game. I can always rely on him to get me a goal.

2) Jon Docker - He ripped the BSN up for my Dorchester team, scoring several goals to secure promotion. He didn't pretty much the same in the BSP. He didn't do quite so well in League Two, but still scored plenty of goals.

3) Alberto Aquilani - He completley pulled the strings for my Liverpool team in his two seasons at the club. I sold him for £34m, but I lived to regret that for two seasons as his replacement (Moutinho) just wasn't good enough.

1. Thiago Neves - AMLC/FC - Strong, quite quick, good passer, good finisher, great stamina, v consistent and hard working. Balanced attributes, wins the ball in the opposing half all the time, scores a few screamers too. The Fulcrum of my Monaco squad.

2. Habib Bellaid & Felipe (Udniese CB) - Best CB partnership ever in a FM game. 7 seasons of bliss before I lost Bellaid to a chairman accepted 37m bid from Man Utd. Bastard.

3. Marouane Chamkh - Not as consistent as I'd like, scores from corners all the time and hold the ball well. Great work ethic for a striker, not injury prone at all and in a team of big players (physically) is a genius attacking the near post from a corner or set piece. Had him partnering Guilherme (cruzerio) and they scored 55 goals between them in their 1st season together.

I managed to get Monaco to the champers league final 6 years in a row and won it in the 7th.

These boys made it happen.

TOP 3 BUDGET SIGNINGS.

1. Luis Moreira (Emelec) 28yrs - 190k in the 1st season, mc/amc/fc. Scored 17 goals and got plenty of assists. Never sold him, but had a 9m offer from Valencia after the 1st season.

2. Somen Tchoyi - Ball greedy right winger that cuts inside and shoots from distance. Scores shitloads, bought for 675k @ 24 yrs (1st season) and sold to liverpool for £16.75m 3 seasons later.

3. Ze Rodolpho WBL/DM/...almost any position on the pitch, free transfer at the start of the game (23 years), likes to shoot from distance, High team work/determination and stamina, great all rounder. Sold to Juventus when he was 30 for 12.75m, his natural fitness rating was only 8, so in a moment of wenger-esque transfer genius, I offloaded him the season his stats rock-bottomed. Scored 80 goals in 7 years from LB & CM positions, including 2 against Liverpool in a champers league final I lost on pens (3-3 final score)

1. Edu Albacar - Signed for £2m from Hercules and he got 40+ assists every season. Top man for free-kicks and penalties too.

2. Ever Guzman - Got him for Sheff Wed from Moreila and he was a goal machine simply because of his pace.

3. Michal Sifakis - Greek international keeper who was reasonably cheap and very solid wherever I took him, including the Premier League with a newly promoted Derby side in the 5th season.

1. S Aguerro - The deadliest striker in the game, scores so many goals, pretty goals against any team you put him against

2. F Ochoa - Easily the best keeper in the game, saves so many rebounds, penaltys and good in the air.

3. M Zarate - Terrorises up front, but is the best right winger in the game, just flies past players and has a great finish.

1. Matias Fernandez - best winger for me in the game (or CAM)

2. Nick Montgomery - my favourite DM for a championship team there is no better, he holds the team together defensively, the reason my saints team got promoted.

3. Ze Castro, got him on a free in my second season with saints and he just couldn't stop scoring he got 50 league goals. FENOMINAL

Everyone seems to pick all the obvious big players. Along with Plummer, Jarman and Simpson, Fickling(a 34 year old DLRC I picked up on a free and played all my matches in the first season), Joe Sagar and Matthew Heath have all been among my best players!(Admittedly I was Bath though)

1. Henri Saivet- got him on a free transfer and now he is better than my other strikers....aguero and tevez...phenmenol player!

2. Aguero- THE BEST...after saivet

3. Tevez- the star trio...probably my best player for many years before saivet matured!

1. Aguero, had him for 15 years on one save, became all time top scorer.

2. Marco Zamboni (Regen), Absolutely unbeatable keeper, never lets anything past him. Also the first keeper to score for me on FM08

3. José Ortega (Regen) and Heiko Franke (Regen), tie between these two. Best strike partnership ever, Franke has set a record for assists and Ortega scored 5 on his debut against PSV in CL at 18 yrs old.

1) Oliver Kahn: As a huge Bayern fan it is sad that I can only use him for one season in this game, but he led me to an unbeaten season my first time playing the Bundesliga.

2) Nik Besagno: I mainly play the MLS 95% of the time and so he is an easy trade for my team. Young, with great stats for the MLS, and loyal to boot.

3) Miroslav Klose: What can I say other than he gets the job done for me whenever I need him too.

As my two longest saves (which for me is rare) have been Tranmere and Liverpool, i'll pick 3 for both :D

Tranmere.

1. Rene Mihelic. Simply immense.

2. Ched Evans. Scores bucket-loads.

3. Calvin Zola. Mainly because you can always sell him for 300k+ :D

Liverpool.

1. Torres. Probably more difficult not to get him at least 25 goals a season.

2. Fazio. Bought for very little money yet is solid at the back.

3. Lansbury. Super-sub and a natural replacement for when Gerrard got injured in season 1.

And a special mention for Rhys Murphy in my England save. Decided to put him in straight away and scored a surprising number of goals and assists.

3. Ze Castro, got him on a free in my second season with saints and he just couldn't stop scoring he got 50 league goals. FENOMINAL

Isn't he a centre back?

For me...

1. Pablo Aimar. Was already at the club (Everton) when I joined at the start of the 3rd season. Plays at AMC behind 2 strikers, breaks the records for assists every year (probably setting himself a new target for next season :p). Pops up with goals too. He's 32 now in my game, but still a key figure (although I just bought Matias Fernandez for £6.5m off Newcastle to eventually replace him).

2. Charles Andre-Doudin (pre-patch). Can get him for about £30k, and he scores goals for fun in League 2, League 1 and the Championship. Normally scores as many goals as games he plays. Bought him for my Wycombe side, and after a year in the Championship, sold for £7m (board accepted).

3. Probably Raul Rusescu for my Wycombe side (again). Bought for £150k, has since played 158 games and scored 110 goals.

1) A.Troare LB/LM plays for Rosenberg at start of game, bought him for £1M for my Marsille team, he was awesome for me at LM.

2) Tales, AMC starts of at Internatioal (sp) brazilan team, paid £2.5M for him, superb player.

3) M.P.Diouf ST starts of at Molde iirc, Bought for 70K for my Marsille team again, excellent ST, got 30+ goals in first season for me.

My top players are

1. Andrew Betts (regen from Wycombe and i signed him for Salisbury City)

he was vital in helping me getting Salisbury to the Championship and keeping them in there

2. Jamie Guy (loaned from Colchester to Braintree Town)

the striker scored 51 in 42 league games in the Blue Square South and we stormed to the title, and then went on to score a total of 118 goals for the club before being bought by Carlisle from Colchester

3. Jason Taylor (bought from Stockport for Salisbury City)

One the very few players i had at Salisbury who played for me in League Two, League One and the Championship. He is an amazing player

ok, this was FM 07, but that Ipswich save has a special place in my heart, as do these players....

3.Okaka - It's sweet when you loan a ST from Roma, as a midtable team in the Prem, and he instantly says he wants to stay with you because you're a great coach :). bought him after the season, and he was a perfect strike partner for my number 1 fave player

2. Owen Garvan - Backbone of the team.....made tackles, made passes, scored on headers, just an all around great player.

1. Danny Haynes - My all time favorite player of any FM save I've ever had. Speed and quality finishing, plus the flair to make impossible chips and long range efforts. Many a time did I scream "Danny Haynes!" in my friend's room while we both played FM for hours.

From FM 08, it's hard to narrow it down to 3, but I'll try

3. Guilherme (ST) - A recent inclusion, as I just started my PSV save less than a month ago, but he brings everything to the table and places goals from all over the pitch. After quitting PSV, and joining Chelsea, I snapped him up for 15 million lbs and he went on to help the team to a title my first season there.

2. Mariano Pavone - Not a world class player, but he helped my Leicester squad immensely. I coached them for 8 seasons and he's a big reason why we won the FA Cup my 6th season. Which is how I got the job at Juventus after I resigned, which is how I got....

1. Eric Camus (regen) - I only coached him for a season, and somehow with him and Paul Webb (also a regen) both clearing 20 goals we didn't win the league. However, he gave me my favorite FM moment of all time. In the ECC semi-final, my team lead on away goals before losing the lead in the last 10 min. With 30 sec of stoppage time remaining, Camus more or less recreated the '89 Thomas goal at Anfield to send us into the Final, which led me to literally scream "ERIC CAMUS"

sorry about the length, I'm very passionate about some of my past players

1. Mati Fernandez (AMLC)

2. Hugo Lloris (GK)

3. Henri Saivet (AM RL /FC)

Why those three? Amazing value for money, all three become dominant forces in their positions (saivet takes a few years while the others are good to go from the outset), all very young, little competition from big clubs for their names even after a couple of seasons, and all are available even to mid-table clubs in the top three leagues. Honourable mention to Lionel Messi, who signs a contract with a release fee of 38mil at some point in all my games, and becomes an opportunisitic by (i signed him at napoli once as a maradonna figure and he sure turned it on).

1. Timmy Simmons - fell in love with Timmy at PSV. Signed him for all my clubs and eventually made him my assistant. I think he wants my babies.

2. Micah Richards - as England manager I made him my captain and, currently, he has 130 caps and is still getting in the team at 33. Also signed him for a lot of my clubs alongside Timmy.

3. Morten Nielsen - Chelsea youngster who was at Gillingham when I took over. Smashed the club's scoring records scoring over 200 league goals. Amazy.

Archived