FM11: Connor Wickham

Bracken

Full name: Connor Neil Wickham

Club: Ipswich Town FC

Date of Birth: 13/3/1993

Place of birth: Hereford

Position: ST

In real Life:

Connow Wickham made his debut for Ipswich town at the age of just 16 years and 11 days, he became the youngest ever Ipswich player. Wickham is regarded as a great prospect by the Ipswich town coaches, possibly the best player to come out of their youth academy since Darren Bent. He's been in and out of the side under Roy Keane, mainly due to injuries, but when he has played he's shown the strength and ability that could see him become a leading Premiership striker one day. He has been a regular in the England youth setup, helping the England U17 team to win the U17 European Championship this summer, scoring in the final. He has since been linked with moves to Tottenham and Arsenal, and it is just a matter of time before he is in the Premiership, either with Ipswich or another club, and if he continues to progress, an England call may not be far away...

In FM.

screenshot20101120at152.png

CA/Pa

108/ -9

Can be signed for around £3m at the end of the first transfer window (you have to wait due to his injury at the start). He's performed well above what his stats would suggest for my Chelsea team, playing him as a Target Man (Attack). Here's how he has progressed for me until the start of season 3, I've thumbnailed it for those who don't want to see.

wickham.th.png

Does anyone else have any experience of this possible future England number 9?

Playing as Ipswich at the moment (as i live here!!), first season we got promoted as Champions he got 15 goals in 25 games. In February in the premiership (2nd season) and so far he's got 5 goals (my top scorer only has 8) so he's done ok so far and is improving. I should survive my first campaign so it will be interesting to see how he goes given another season (assuming i can hang onto him!!).

Both Man U and City sniffed around last season but nothing this year as yet!

I find he's better paired alongside a small, pacey, creative striker than a big target man. He seems to provide a lot of assists as well as goals when played as a Target Man (attack) alongside someone like Aguero or Neymar, so for England I use him alongside Walcott or Agbonlahor

• 2 weeks later...

I came here to make a post about him and found one already made -)

Brought him to West Ham at the start of season two for 1.4mil with plans to see how he developed cause my scouts rated him.

Gave him his debut in the league cup and he bagged a brace.

Kept him in the side next game and he finished the season with 23 appearances (Many as a sub), 11 goals, 4 assists and 5 MoM. His overall rating was 7.36.

And all that for a team that only finished 11th in the league.

Got him at the start of season 2 with Coventry, did alright at first, contributing to me getting promoted in the 3rd season. 4th season he was quite poor, but I'm in mid-September in season 5 and he's already got 6 PL goals and playing out of his skin. Got him playing as a deep-lying forward (attack) as the lone striker, with him also set as the target man and the supply being 'run onto ball'. Used to favour 'to feet' for him, which didn't have great results, but forgot to change the supply having had my pacey striker up front and Wickham bagged a brace in the first match. Also turned his long shots down to 'rarely' as he's woeful at them.

And I don't use him as my throw in taker, favour full backs doing that job. Besides, most of the long throws on this don't beat the first man.

• 3 weeks later...

Just signed him for £4.2M under the noses of Chelsea. He is dubbed the new Alan Shearer, so should turn out good. May have paid over the odds, but I am keen to get him developing and to make him reach his potential so I can have the next Shearer in my side (Shearer being the player I grew up admiring).

Any suggestions who I could get to tutor him, as I would prefer his determination up a little and I have a feeling his Professionalism and Ambition arent the best as he is only rated as fairly determined meaning (Determination = 15-17) or (Determination = 18-20 & Ambition < 10).

Sorry, I am Reading and in the first season, but was thinking of bringing someone in if necessary. My current strikers (Hunt, Church, Long) aren't really up to tutoring I don't think, so may need to bring in an experienced player just for the purpose of tutoring him.

I've started a career as Ipswich manager and obviously have Wickham in my squad. However, he's just not performing at all with just a handful of goals and average rating of 6.8ish over halfway through the season, i've tried him as a lone front man and also with a number of partners but he just doesn't perform.

I have Leigh Griffiths and a couple of loanee strikers from Arsenal (Bruno and Wellington Silva) and they're all performing better and i'm currently top of the Championship. Arsenal are showing a minor interest so i'm considering offloading him for big bucks if i can, to fund some signings for my impending first season in the Premiership (hopefully).

Anyone got any tips on how best to play him to give him one last shot before i get rid?

I've started a career as Ipswich manager and obviously have Wickham in my squad. However, he's just not performing at all with just a handful of goals and average rating of 6.8ish over halfway through the season, i've tried him as a lone front man and also with a number of partners but he just doesn't perform.

I have Leigh Griffiths and a couple of loanee strikers from Arsenal (Bruno and Wellington Silva) and they're all performing better and i'm currently top of the Championship. Arsenal are showing a minor interest so i'm considering offloading him for big bucks if i can, to fund some signings for my impending first season in the Premiership (hopefully).

Anyone got any tips on how best to play him to give him one last shot before i get rid?

Is this your first season you're currently in and how much are Arsenal willing to pay for him and what role are you playing him as?

I signed him on loan from Liverpool in the fifth season, he didn't do all that well in the Prem, scored I think 7 or 8 goals in about 35 apps. In the sixth season Liverpool wanted shot of him so I managed to sign him permanently for 2.8 million quid. What a bargain! He blossomed in that season, finishing runner-up in the top scorers with 26 goals. Played him as a poacher on the right side of a two man attack, devastating.

Cheers.

Is this your first season you're currently in and how much are Arsenal willing to pay for him and what role are you playing him as?

Yeah, i'm still in the first season, Jan transfer window just closed so i'm keeping him until the end of the season. He's valued at £1.7m and the transfer rumours say Arsenal and now Man City too could offer £5.75m. I had been playing him as a Target Man with mixed supply because of his good aerial ability and pace. I've switched him to be a deep lying forward, but still set as my target man with mixed supply and have had 2 much improved performances from him since.

• 2 weeks later...

He's a decent player. Probably mid table of the premier league for me. He's not good enough on my current save so I've got him unregistered in the reserves and will sell him in the window. He's nothing special and his stats don't improve much at all.

Is his PA variable on the game?

Interesting, playing as Ipswich and he was not that good for me 1st season, we got promoted by Scotland & Priskin got most of my goals. I did play him a fair bit, either as sub or cover.

Now in the Prem and I play him again as cover/rotation, he is doing a bit better in terms of goals per game but still about the 4th or 5th best Stiker in my squad.....I have Welback on Loan, Arajao (spelling?) Priskin, erm some decent mexican and some guy terrance Magenro or something, hmmm why can I never remember the names! I have alot of young and very promising stikers, inc Wickham, all at simailr level so just depends on who bangs in the most as to who plays most :)

Still I will keep playing him as sub/rotation and hope he keeps getting better, signed him up on a long term deal now.

• 6 months later...

Wickham has had a long time with me but has never been a consistent scorer in my side. He's certainly useful, but just doesn't score enough for my liking. He's part of the 2nd forward line at my club, which is the two strikers I usually bring on in around the 55th minute (when I can) he can bully defenders about and be a threat in the air but he just doesn't beat his man and score even though he has the pace to do this.

A different playstyle would obviously be much better suited to him than my 4-4-2 but I keep him because he has low wage demands (around 25 - 30k a week for a while now) and will chip in with 5 - 10 goals a season which isn't too bad for a £3m striker.

Archived