Crap 3D engine

Why is the 3D engine such crap? sometimes the player stands in one spot, spins around like a ballerina multiple times, and in some instances even gets tackled and loses the ball.. 80% of the time this happens, i get scored on

and what about the tackling system? why do defenders run right to a defender, then stand up and admire him without tackling? so many times i saw my defender just standing there admiring the ball, an opponent runs in, gets it and scores and im like WTF?!?!?!

and why when i put my defense as Ultra Defensive, put the Defensive Line as Deep, they STILL play high up and allow counter attacks behind the defence??? :(

Why is the 3D engine such crap? sometimes the player stands in one spot, spins around like a ballerina multiple times, and in some instances even gets tackled and loses the ball.. 80% of the time this happens, i get scored on

and what about the tackling system? why do defenders run right to a defender, then stand up and admire him without tackling? so many times i saw my defender just standing there admiring the ball, an opponent runs in, gets it and scores and im like WTF?!?!?!

and why when i put my defense as Ultra Defensive, put the Defensive Line as Deep, they STILL play high up and allow counter attacks behind the defence??? :(

dood...you have no idea what you are talking about. i'm like...WTF?!?!

I've been quite pleased with the 3D engine. It's not perfect, but it's quite enjoyable to watch IMO. Very occasionally something crazy will happen, but that's pretty typical of any computer or video game. I have only played with world-class teams thus far (Man City and just starting a game with Marseille). Are you playing lower leagues? I would expect the players there look less competent, but that's just a guess.

I've been quite pleased with the 3D engine. It's not perfect, but it's quite enjoyable to watch IMO. Very occasionally something crazy will happen, but that's pretty typical of any computer or video game. I have only played with world-class teams thus far (Man City and just starting a game with Marseille). Are you playing lower leagues? I would expect the players there look less competent, but that's just a guess.

the voice of reason. :thup:

basically Greeson is 100% right. it has its flaws yes, but its a massive step forward for FM over 2d. i can 100% understand your frustration and disappoinment with certain aspects of it, dodgy animations included but you really need to tone it down a bit man. posting up that its crap is just a bit strong eh?

If you have any problems with the match engine behaving in strange ways, please post in the bugs forum and give as much detail as possible. Please upload PKMs (saved matches - you can save a match by accessing it from your fixtures and results page) which show the problems you're talking about.

If you have any problems with the match engine behaving in strange ways, please post in the bugs forum and give as much detail as possible. Please upload PKMs (saved matches - you can save a match by accessing it from your fixtures and results page) which show the problems you're talking about.

As much as I agree that the 3d match engine is ok....I completely disagree with what Ackter is saying.

I, like many others on here, have a full time job and a family to take care of. The time I have for FM or other games should be spent playing the game...not fixing it. I refuse to waste my free time uploading saves, writing detailed bug reports and searching through hundreds of topics just to report mistakes in a game that I have purchased.

Why should I beta test and work away for SI.....I have never once received a paycheck from them.

The guys at SI are payed to write code, make games and so on......if they are not capable of testing their own games properly then perhaps they should hire some new staff.

All first versions of the next step have been crap. Remember the first 2D version? oh the horror. I was plesantly surprised with the 3D as I had thought it would be complete and utter crap until Fm11, but it is acctually playable. Sure it has some very annoying bugs and shortcommings.

And I'm pretty sure the testers would fail a drugtest considering what they missed. SI have most probably gotten a bunch of yes boys to test the game.

You do NOT want your testers to try enjoy the game. You want them to try to break it. The Fanboys testers obviously played the betas with a goal of enjoying it, not trying to break it.

Hell several of the bugs should have been picked up no matter how they played the game.

The game as a whole is addictive, I stopped playing fallout 3 and brigade e5 since I got to FM09. Complex like hell, still learning, but I really like it. That being said, the first poster was right, in my opinion.

Sorry to say but the 3d is UGLY. The stadium looks like have been modeled and textured by someone learning the basics of a 3d program (Max, Maya, XSI). I would suggest you hire a good freelancer for 1-2 days and have at least the textures improved.

Why not surprise us and in the next patch include some new textures for the stadium including peoples?

Why not surprise us and in the next patch include some new textures for the stadium including peoples?

Agreed that it will be very nice when the stadiums get some character. That's the thing that has disappointed me most so far. The players aren't anything spectacular, but it's a lot better than 2D so I'm not complaining for a first crack.

well, the 3D engine aint nearly as good as say...Fifa Manager's

i aint the only one to say it.. like 3 people i know who play FM say the 3D engine turns them off, one even went back to using the dots

But to be fair, FIFA has been using a football 3D engine for years.

As much as I agree that the 3d match engine is ok....I completely disagree with what Ackter is saying.

I, like many others on here, have a full time job and a family to take care of. The time I have for FM or other games should be spent playing the game...not fixing it. I refuse to waste my free time uploading saves, writing detailed bug reports and searching through hundreds of topics just to report mistakes in a game that I have purchased.

Why should I beta test and work away for SI.....I have never once received a paycheck from them.

The guys at SI are payed to write code, make games and so on......if they are not capable of testing their own games properly then perhaps they should hire some new staff.

May i ask, as you use the point of having to look after your family.

What are your family doing right now while you waste time, which could be spent with them, whinging like a spoilt kid on some forums?

First i was very happy with the 3D as it looked quite good for the first installment. But at the moment i am getting stupid own goals in every 3 games where a player passes back verrrrrrry sloooooooooowly and 2 players and the goalie stand inches next to the ball without doing ANYTHING.

I do think the poorest aspect of the 3d engine is when it tries to illustrate your players screwing up. The key to the match engine is that it shows how your players are responding and positioning themselves according to your tactical setup. It's not going to show how well your striker changes feet midstride or dekes the fullback down the wing, necessarily. It's a picture of what's going on statistically in game. Basically the same as the dots, but with some extra detail. I've found it a lot easier to see what's up on the pitch, personally. Huge improvement.

If you have any problems with the match engine behaving in strange ways, please post in the bugs forum and give as much detail as possible. Please upload PKMs

We don't need to. This years match engine is based on the feedback from thousands of FML games which has ironed out most of the issues.

Now at this point on a couple of forums I belong to I'd insert a ninja smiley to indicate that my post is tongue-in-cheek. However we haven't got one so I have to give this big postamble. Hey if I can have a preamble I can have a postamble!

VB

Why is it bad?

Poor QA.

are you talking to me?

If so, it's not perfect because it does jump about abit and you do get the occasional player who decides to stop in his tracks for no reason and admire the opponent as he walks past. However, as said in my previous post, I do enjoy the 3D engine

I agree. Every so often there's a ridiculous incident but I wouldn't expect a perfect game. Just machinery isn't it. I think there's much more entertaining aspects of the game than negative ones and I'm satisfied with my thirty pound outlay. And the new computer I bought to play it the game on.

Don't waste your time whingeing at us either then. FM09 is an extremely well produced and high quality game.

Perhaps if the game had been tested better people wouldn't whinge about it.

In terms of the 3D match engine (which this thread is about) it is hardly high quality.

Don't waste your time whingeing at us either then. FM09 is a ... game.

Fixed it for you.

It's not well produced (it's FM08 with added bugs and a really ropey 3D display). And it's not high quality (see previous ellipses).

Otherwise, spot on :)

well, the post on 2D engine is irrevelant for me as this is the first year im playing Football Manager as I had Fifa Manager last yr.. this year i decided to try this one instead cuz i heard its more detailed in terms of tactics

while this may be true, i think they need to make the game more all-round and that starts with the 3D engine lol.. as someone said before, sometimes (or more like alot of the time with me) the defender just runs and stops infront the ball, admires it and then the opponent gets it and buries it.. im already 0-1 down and now have to score 2 goals to even get a win :( i thought my defenders were just crap, so i bought newer better ones... same thing :(

Perhaps if the game had been tested better people wouldn't whinge about it.

In terms of the 3D match engine (which this thread is about) it is hardly high quality.

If the match engine would be "high quality", 75% of all people who play fm wouldnt be able to play it at all anyway, so even more complaints... (just look at all the "what the .... i cannot play fm09" people, and the specs for the game arnt even that high...)

The match engine looks fine and does perfectly what its ment to be doing.

If the match engine would be "high quality", 75% of all people who play fm wouldnt be able to play it at all anyway, so even more complaints... (just look at all the "what the .... i cannot play fm09" people, and the specs for the game arnt even that high...)

The match engine looks fine and does perfectly what its ment to be doing.

Totally untrue. You can have good graphics on low spec machines if its done right. It just hasn't been done right in FM's case.

I'll again use the example of guild wars.

Totally untrue. You can have good graphics on low spec machines if its done right. It just hasn't been done right in FM's case.

I'll again use the example of guild wars.

So what exactly hasnt been done right then?

Its supposed to be functional, not to look fancy. Why bother about cosmetic stuff like seeing people in the stadiums etc. while its all about the gameplay, as it has always been at SI games.

So what exactly hasnt been done right then?

Its supposed to be functional, not to look fancy. Why bother about cosmetic stuff like seeing people in the stadiums etc. while its all about the gameplay, as it has always been at SI games.

Its not optimised at all well. You get a very average looking 3d engine that requires a much too high spec for what it delivers.

one thing i would like added though, is smarter players...

let me give an example: in fifa manager, sometimes when a striker is one on one and he has another teammate in scoring distance, he'd lay it off for the easy tap in goal.. that sort of awareness of players around you is nice but i never see it in this FM, players sometimes rush forward and whack the ball directly at the goalie, get saved and waste vital opportunities

one thing i would like added though, is smarter players...

let me give an example: in fifa manager, sometimes when a striker is one on one and he has another teammate in scoring distance, he'd lay it off for the easy tap in goal.. that sort of awareness of players around you is nice but i never see it in this FM, players sometimes rush forward and whack the ball directly at the goalie, get saved and waste vital opportunities

What i notice is that one on one's are mostly won by goalies, but thats something thats with the match engine, has nothing to do with the 3d representation :).

ok, so the match engine sucks.. what is this game's strong point supposed to be again? :S i think i lost the plot

and no, the goalie doesnt win most one on ones, cuz when the CPU gets one on ones they bury like 80% of them, even with the most crap of strikers

i aint the only one to say it.. like 3 people i know who play FM say the 3D engine turns them off, one even went back to using the dots

Actually FIFA Manager doesn't look all that unless the camera zooms in to make you notice player details. Like during replays and such. And while the sim is said to be tweaked by a recent patch, it's totally random one-way FIFA AI vs AI kicking that's happening on the pitch. That I was expecting, but not the engine looking that poor. Not that this'd belong in here. Since I tried the demo rather recently: Just saying.

While SI's 3d representation has received mixed reactions so far, it's still heads and shoulders the only 3d representation of football that actually comes close to the real thing. Jerky animations are one thing. But the sim is sound.

LOL, sorry, just saw you used the words world-class and man city in the same sentance! Not yet my friend!

lolol nah, im playing with Spurs and my team is pretty solid now, but the things i see happen in 3D games are horrendous

Honestly I don't think the 3D element adds to the game, even done well it would only be like watching FIFA football, and why would a management sim want to dop that? It's far far far easier to follow game flow in 2D, the TV view in 2D is brilliant, the game flow is very reaslitic and with the bigger pitch it looks great.

Some things shoukld stay 2D, like Worms FM should be another

And please don't forget that it may not be the engine itself at fault but rather the graphical illustration (the "3d" aspect) of what's going on. Just because your defender is doing a little dance instead of tackling a player he isn't necessarily dancing around in the engine.

lol lol lol, thats poor.. just shows how poorly done FM was done in the first place.. i see my players dancing, or just standing there and falling over when the player takes the ball from him and i cant help but go into a laughin fit cuz its so corny

the 2D **** is definitely a fail, and the 3D **** is a turn off.. hopefully they sort it out

my defenders never stand around looking lost nor do they spin round like a ballerina multiple times unless their being jockeyed for the ball.

as for the last point. mine dont so it must be either your players (unintelligent,slow,lacking fitness,lacking condition etc) or it may be your tactics.

i.e. you've set your defenders to sit really low but the midfielders are so high up the pitch that the defneders feel the need to close the attackers otherwise they get to much space.

my defenders never stand around looking lost nor do they spin round like a ballerina multiple times unless their being jockeyed for the ball.

as for the last point. mine dont so it must be either your players (unintelligent,slow,lacking fitness,lacking condition etc) or it may be your tactics.

i.e. you've set your defenders to sit really low but the midfielders are so high up the pitch that the defneders feel the need to close the attackers otherwise they get to much space.

Yes - poor stats/tactics result in defenders not tackling and spinning around! brilliant explanation!

Posts like that really wind people up you know.

oh sorry......... if it dosent happen to you then we all must be liars with a vendetta against the game.

whats wrong with the dots they are realistic and very football manager like

its like what a coach does with that board and the magnets that represent players....

Archived