Would you enjoy.........

Would you enjoy Football Manager if they decided to change it so that you have to start with the lowest possible clubs in your selected nations? I think it would be quite cool if you had to start in say the conference south and work your way up. As you get a better reputation and higher up the leagues you unlock the ability to play as teams in higher divisions and nations. I sometimes feel as though its poor to just buy FM manage Barcelona and win all the cups because all the players / staff / finances are already in place for you.

If you was made to start in the lower leagues then you would experience the pain of having to sign part timers, manage your funds correctly to stop you going in to debt and see the lower league clubs progress. I think if this option was available i would definitely try it.

I found it quite strange to install FM when i did back in 2005 to see i could manage what ever team i wanted. I know they did this in CM also but going back to the old Premier Manager days on the megadrive you had to work your way up starting with Cambridge United, Torquay or even Preston North End when they was all in the 3rd division.

you would lose some players doing that i feel as there is alot of people who like to just pick the game up and play as their favorite team, added to the fact you can do this if you want to anyway. not really much point IMO sorry

Yeah. What im saying is though. Don't you feel that it's a massive privelage to be able to manage what ever team you want and make your name known in the game. I would have thought that when they developed this game they would have thought

"Right we will make it so they have to work their way up"

You get a lot of people on here who boast about taking the hard job of Barca or Real and winning the league, champions league etc.

There is already the option to do this. It's not very wise to force people to play this way. Some people love to start with Hungerford. Some people love to start with Barcelona.

Working your way up is beneficial and provides you with great insights, improving in the game as you get experience challenges in the lower leagues, and learning the true value of money too.

But some people just wanna buy the best and knock in a few goals.

Would be devastating if you could never buy Messi or Ronaldo if you so desired.

One thing I loved about the original Football Manager was that any club you picked was immediately relegated to the lowest division.

Would be a nice optional feature to add to this game, though probably a bit of a nightmare to code.

Ok, perhaps they could keep the game as standard where you can pick any team of your choice. It would also be quite good then if they had a "challenges" section. It would be pretty cool if they linked that part up to a Challenges section on the forums. Then anyone can start new challenges and let other try it out.

I seem to be stumped here. I give up now. The point of the thread really was to ask what people thought on "locking" you out of playing as teams such as Barca and Real. Perhaps in your first game and as you progress you unlock the teams to be able to be played in other new games.

Goody1987: If the game gets to the point were you need to unlock better teams then it turns the game into a complete arcade game and not the application it is.

I don't see this as a 'game'. It's more technical and I think more advanced to be considered a game.

Everyone plays the game their own way. SI should not restrict this. It's not fair to enforce one opinion on every player. I enjoy bringing clubs from top to bottom, and also playing with bigger teams. Variety of life and all that.

Stupid Idea. If I pay good money for a game like this, I want to be able to play as whatever team I wish to be. If that's top teams, that's my business not yours. If you want to start at the bottom, go right ahead. If you manage to take a Blue Square team to the top, great. I personally like taking mid table teams in big leagues to the title, occasionally dipping into perhaps the 2nd division or relegation battles. That's my choice as I paid good money to do so.

Just means I'm unlikely to ever get the achievments on Steam for taking a team from bottom to top. And I'm ok with that.

I don't really see the point in forcing people who don't want to do that to play that way. If it wasn't an option then I'd understand, but it is and many people already play that way. Don't really see the need to change to be honest.

I really don't get why you'd want SI to limit our choices to less than we have now. It won't effect how you play (as you can still do just that), only how others enjoy their game.

I remember on the Premier Manager series you used to have to start in the conference, wasn't particularly easy getting out.

I loved the old Premier Manager II, picking your adboards, signing free agents from the phone and then selling them like 2-3 weeks later, i really liked that game.

By the time you reach the top , you would have lost some of yours best players to the retirement. And you will need to switch clubs when you get upwards, that's suicidal in one sense as yours current club is working well. And every1 has his preferred clubs so they want to play them all the times, you can challenge yourselves separately.

I always have a few different games on each fm one with Sunderland, one unemployed game where the aim is to win every continental competition, one with my local team Crewe and one as a very rich team like Man City, Real Madrid or Barcelona. I love doing this as I only play three or four seasons and try out all the top players in the world. If the op's idea was in fm I would not be able to play half the games I want to play.

The option to start as any team is half the attraction of fm taking this out would stop people buying the game and in many peoples eyes ruin it. The option to start low down is already in the game and forcing it on people would be a terrible idea.

Worst idea this year.

Nah, Chairman mode is the worst idea this year. Every year. :p

I enjoy starting in obscure leagues but I know that other people that play FM want to start at a top division team. It's a game at the end of the day and everyone should be allowed to have fun by managing any club.

Archived