I want something to do with my wages.

I really think we should have the option to do something with the money we earn. At the moment it's just an irrelevant number that slowly stacks up on the manager history section, it would be more fun and would mean more if we could use it. It would add incentive into negotiating for better contracts, encourage managers jumping to different teams for higher wages, something that would add to journeyman saves. The game could change focus from the team to the manager.

I know a lot of people would just say the option to buy stuff is gimmicky, and I don't want to have to worry about my managers life, buying him a house and a car etc. And unfortunately i don't really have any good ideas on what the money could be used for. But that's what a forum is for right.

I just think there should be something to do with it or an incentive to get rich.

If you want something to do you should at least come up with an example!

I'm pretty sure the wage is actually relevant, since the more you get the less the club has, and the more you get the more secure your job is, since it would cost the club more in compensation to fire you.

I'm pretty sure you don't get the money when you're fired in your total earnings?

But either way i'm just saying there should be more of an incentive to move for money. An earnings rich list would be a start an easy feature. But really there should be a bit more to it.

But it's not real money!

The incentives are for better job prospects or for a different challenge. I play for the experience of managing a football club, not to see how much virtual money I can earn.

im sure ive seen these threads far too much this week. i know its your opinion and what not, fair enough. but i just dont see the need to have it. its football manager, so you know what, i want to manage a football team and buy some players and if im in the mood ill fiddle around with some tic-tacs. if i i want to play with money management ill play the sims or sim city or somthing along the lines etc.... i cant possibly see how it would enhance FM in any way whatsoever, just my POV.

I like this idea and just came on here to make a similar suggestion. If FM is supposed to be an accurate sim of football managment, then it should do something here. I will usually start and play strictly with Norwich, taking the bare minimum wage. So it is in no way realisitic that I feel absolutely no temptation to leave for Barca for 100k p/w. Having a series of unlockables might change that, at least a little (club loyalty would, and should, win out most of the time though!)

Likewise I think that incentives have increasingly become a benchmark for modern games. COD would be nowhere near as successful without the sheer variety of unlockables and incentives. Admittedly the comparison is chalk and cheese but you see what I mean!

I take the point that there may be things that are more important, but this needn't be difficult. It doesn't need to affect game balance, and in the meantime could be an entirely superficial set of rewards. I'm not sure what but you could have additional themes perhaps, or achievements or badges that indicate your greatness etc.

The only other problem would be these could become meaningless if you start at Man City, but I'm sure there are ways of addressing this e.g. an unlock for quadrupling your earnings etc.

Even an achievement for it would be a step in the right direction, although that is still quite short sighted I think. A lot of FM's reward is intrinsic and that's fine but some extra stuff wouldn't hurt!

I like this idea and just came on here to make a similar suggestion. If FM is supposed to be an accurate sim of football managment, then it should do something here. I will usually start and play strictly with Norwich, taking the bare minimum wage. So it is in no way realisitic that I feel absolutely no temptation to leave for Barca for 100k p/w. Having a series of unlockables might change that, at least a little (club loyalty would, and should, win out most of the time though!)

Likewise I think that incentives have increasingly become a benchmark for modern games. COD would be nowhere near as successful without the sheer variety of unlockables and incentives. Admittedly the comparison is chalk and cheese but you see what I mean!

I take the point that there may be things that are more important, but this needn't be difficult. It doesn't need to affect game balance, and in the meantime could be an entirely superficial set of rewards. I'm not sure what but you could have additional themes perhaps, or achievements or badges that indicate your greatness etc.

The only other problem would be these could become meaningless if you start at Man City, but I'm sure there are ways of addressing this e.g. an unlock for quadrupling your earnings etc.

Even an achievement for it would be a step in the right direction, although that is still quite short sighted I think. A lot of FM's reward is intrinsic and that's fine but some extra stuff wouldn't hurt!

You killed your entire argument in the second sentence. What has what a manager spends his wages on or how much they earn got to do with football management? Nothing!

Im all for having nice little achievements on steam to unlock if thats what floats your boat. Something like £1m, £10m, £100m or whatever but it offers absolutely nothing to the game.

I get little trophies pop up on the PS3 all the time, but for me they are meaningless. In Footy Mange the achievements are in-game already and mean something. Achievements like getting your home town club into the league or winning the Champions League with a Welsh team, or whatever floats your boat. The majority of FMers couldn't care less whether they earn £1k or £100k.

You killed your entire argument in the second sentence. What has what a manager spends his wages on or how much they earn got to do with football management? Nothing!

Im all for having nice little achievements on steam to unlock if thats what floats your boat. Something like £1m, £10m, £100m or whatever but it offers absolutely nothing to the game.

bang on, its Football Manager, not Football Managers Life Manager.

The next step is being able to add a wife, get your car, go on holidays, why hasnt someone made that yet? Oh wait, Fifa Manager did, and its now the 'laughing stock' of managment sims :p

might well be an overexaggeration but a snowball starts with a snowflake.

The next step is being able to add a wife, get your car, go on holidays.

yep you can go holiday actually but i think that going on holiday should cost money for example £30,000 for 1 week ect... i know this is way more than your average holiday but this will encourage people to actually play the game if you see what i mean :)

yep you can go holiday actually but i think that going on holiday should cost money for example £30,000 for 1 week ect... i know this is way more than your average holiday but this will encourage people to actually play the game if you see what i mean :)

Holidays coming out of your wages would be cool, but if you were making a few k a week then you wouldn't see much difference unless you holidayed a lot.

I always negotiate my wages down when signing a contract, that money could be going towards players instead of being pointlessly frittered away by the club on my 'wages'.

I got offered a new contract last night & my board offered me a 20k pay rise but I said I'll take what I'm currently on (6k) & they accepted.

So does your manager wage definitley come out of the same wage budget you use for your players?

I got offered a new contract last night & my board offered me a 20k pay rise but I said I'll take what I'm currently on (6k) & they accepted.

So does your manager wage definitley come out of the same wage budget you use for your players?

Couldn't confirm that, but my logic is that if the money is coming out of the clubs finances then it is money that is not available for other things, surely?

PS: I always put it down to the minimum they will offer, would 'work' for free if i could

I really think we should have the option to do something with the money we earn. At the moment it's just an irrelevant number that slowly stacks up on the manager history section, it would be more fun and would mean more if we could use it. It would add incentive into negotiating for better contracts, encourage managers jumping to different teams for higher wages, something that would add to journeyman saves. The game could change focus from the team to the manager.

I know a lot of people would just say the option to buy stuff is gimmicky, and I don't want to have to worry about my managers life, buying him a house and a car etc. And unfortunately i don't really have any good ideas on what the money could be used for. But that's what a forum is for right.

I just think there should be something to do with it or an incentive to get rich.

Football Manager 2011 is meant to be as realistic to real life football as humanly possible, so tell us all champ, what do real life Managers do with their wages ?

I thought that your salary was sort of a barrier between you and being sacked?

If you have a high salary, I thought that your club would be more lenient because they don't want to 'pay you' your high release fee.

Mourinho is so professional :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I did - you've taken it a bit far there. I'm not suggesting we turn FM into The Sims, more that something is done to balance the game because like I said, at the moment I feel no pang of temptation when I am linked with Barca whilst managing Norwich. That is unrealistic.

Sure, it might snowball a little but it's up to SI draw a line, I am merely pointing out what I see as a balance issue. Before a patch I was able to take an almost non existent wage at Norwich out of love for the club. I'm not proposing a "build your mansion" mode, just something very small to work towards. Prestige in COD is a good example of something almost completely meaningless but people go crazy for - although admittedly that is about masquerading online and not the solitary experience that FM offers.

I suppose to more accurately sum up what I am saying, I am not calling for "something to do with my wages" as the thread poses, but more that my wages need to mean more to create a more engrossing experience.

(Sorry for thread resurrection)

I'm not sure I did - you've taken it a bit far there. I'm not suggesting we turn FM into The Sims, more that something is done to balance the game because like I said, at the moment I feel no pang of temptation when I am linked with Barca whilst managing Norwich. That is unrealistic.

Sure, it might snowball a little but it's up to SI draw a line, I am merely pointing out what I see as a balance issue. Before a patch I was able to take an almost non existent wage at Norwich out of love for the club. I'm not proposing a "build your mansion" mode, just something very small to work towards. Prestige in COD is a good example of something almost completely meaningless but people go crazy for - although admittedly that is about masquerading online and not the solitary experience that FM offers.

I suppose to more accurately sum up what I am saying, I am not calling for "something to do with my wages" as the thread poses, but more that my wages need to mean more to create a more engrossing experience.

Well like I said, if Steam want to make some kind of achievement with regards to wages or career earnings then thats fine. I dont think it would be hard to do. But there shouldnt be anything added to the game which will affect the game play.

Is there a way to "do something with your wage" and NOT turning FM into "the Sims - Football Manager"?

I mean... what else can you realistically do in the game with that money if not "buying fancy cars and huge houses" just like in FIFAManager? Maybe buying a % of a club so you can have a say on how it's run? Or buying a smaller club for you to play Football Chariman as a side-project?

Really, money is to buy stuff... and in a football management game the only "stuff" you need to buy are the players, and there's the club money for that.

imagine if you could save any money earned over a 50 year period and then create a team in the lower leagues from scratch with your funds. I'd love this to be a side feature just for a bit of extra fun, kind of like a game within a game which is only unlocked after 50 years of management. Then your aim as chairman would be to hire support staff, like managers, physios, coaches etc and look after the commercial side of the game.

imagine if you could save any money earned over a 50 year period and then create a team in the lower leagues from scratch with your funds. I'd love this to be a side feature just for a bit of extra fun, kind of like a game within a game which is only unlocked after 50 years of management. Then your aim as chairman would be to hire support staff, like managers, physios, coaches etc and look after the commercial side of the game.

For them to build the kind of infrastructure required for that to be even possible would take far too much away from the management side of things to be honest.

I agree that manager wages are a little redundant as things currently stand, but I also think they're kind of a necessity in terms of giving you an idea of how secure your job is and how desperately another club want your services. I also don't think it'd be possible to add anything in the game to spend your wages on without it feeling superficial and pointless.

You feel no temptation to leave Norwich for Barcelona, but you would if your wages meant something? Like what? What about the chance to manage the best club in the world and the transfer / wage budgets, the Champions League, etc.? Surely they are the incentives, what more do you need?

You could have money to go towards your horse, then watch it in the Derby, and see it pull up and fail miserably (aimed at Mr. Ferguson).

If you gonna try a crap put down at least get it right :rolleyes: It was the Grand National not the Derby.

And seeing as its had 16 races, won 7, 2nd 3 times and 3rd once, its money well spent IMO.

If you gonna try a crap put down at least get it right :rolleyes: It was the Grand National not the Derby.

And seeing as its had 16 races, won 7, 2nd 3 times and 3rd once, its money well spent IMO.

Oh dear, you lose money on him as well?

SI have already drawn a line haven't they.

Is there a way to "do something with your wage" and NOT turning FM into "the Sims - Football Manager"?

I mean... what else can you realistically do in the game with that money if not "buying fancy cars and huge houses" just like in FIFAManager? Maybe buying a % of a club so you can have a say on how it's run? Or buying a smaller club for you to play Football Chariman as a side-project?

To be honest, I wouldnt mind some sims-like elements, it could be fun to buy bigger houses and yachts and the like and offer your players trips out of your own pocket as a reward for good form. Sure, it'd be fairly low priority to do anything like that and would likely require hiring artistic talent they don't currently have as you'd want to at least see this pad. But hey, if they struggle with what features to add, I could think of worse things they could do.

No I didnt do it. I was tempted though. I actually backed Ballabriggs :D

Lucky man...wish I knew something about horse riding...the fact that we have just had a conversation on this, means the idea mentioned in this thread, is pretty stupid.

I think the only thing that i would like to see implemented more is the manager contract. So maybe a club wants to take you as manager but your current club are asking the earth in Compensation. I think that the manager wages could be used to maybe buying out your current contract so that the move is possible. This obviously would be a very rare occasion but would be a neat little feature and for the majority it would make no difference to how the game is played.

I personally always negotiate my contract to what i would expect in real life if i was in that position. I would seriously consider a job at a higher team if they offered a lot more wages than i was on as i try to play as realistically as possible.

Other than that i cannot see any benefit to spending the money that you earn.

If the game calculates your career earnings then if you are sacked while in contract there should be an option allowing you to get/claim compensation.

This after all is a Football Manager game and this goes on in real life, therefore I think it would be an interesting addition.

ALL THOSE CITING "It's FOOTBALL manger,"

Everton legend Peter Reid is to auction his 1986 FA Cup runners-up medal to raise funds for cash-strapped Plymouth Argyle.

Reid took over as manager at Home Park in the summer but his arrival coincided with the Devon club being beset by financial difficulties.

Taken from this article.

Peter Reid

I would like to do this for my cash strapped club too...

Actually, it would be my Champions league trophy from FM 2009, but that clearly was not my point. I earn money in Football management. I should be able to use that money for football management. I'm not talking about cars, or stupid things. Just let me pump some money back into the club.

You can already have a conversation with them about terminating their contract to reduce the wage bill, and in certain cases it would be totally realistic.

I reckon Stevie G would play for free for Liverpool if they desperately needed it. Obviously Rooney would not do it for Man U. It would be simple enough to program in to check if a player loves the club, then if the club is in difficulty, and then give you that option in player interaction. I reckon a few of my players would take one for the club.

My point was people were saying managers money, and FM's simulation of management were completely incompatible.

We only heard about this because Peter Reid is famous... and yes it seems extreme, but do you think every lower league manager who personally forks out for transport to games, or league registration fees makes the headlines? No. I bet it happens though.

Archived