Just found a horrible bug

Right, so I'm Man City and have won the league and champions league, was just asked to submit my 23 man squad for the World Club Championship.

As this is not realy an important cup, and that usually it's fairly easy to win I decided I would, as I always have before, only select a squad of players under 23 years old and rest all the older and more experienced players.

The next news item was all my star players telling me they're considering their future after being left out of my CHAMPIONS LEAGUE squad!!!!!.

This is a horrendous bug, all my players have had their morale destroyed and some have expressed a desire to leave.

I haven't got to my next champions league match yet, but, if this has indeed effected the champions leage instead of the club world champonship it will have ruined my save game and be a completely game breaking bug.

Other than this I love the game and especially the new patch

As far as I know, in real life the CWC is far more desirable than the Champions League. So it makes sense why they would be disappointed.

Not really. The Champions League carries more prestige and prize money, despite the fact it's "Champions of Champions".

Rather how like the Americans treat the Olympic Gold at basketball, compared with the hype of the NBA.

Not really. The Champions League carries more prestige and prize money, despite the fact it's "Champions of Champions".

Rather how like the Americans treat the Olympic Gold at basketball, compared with the hype of the NBA.

Did you not watch Barcelona FC win the club world cup? if they didnt care, Guardiola would of saved Messi and company for league games. But he didnt, he played almost the same 11 against manU in the CL finals except for the injured iniesta. and barsa tried really hard to win it because they were actually down 1-0, tied in the 89th minute and won it in extra time. Winning the cup has a big meaning, you just played the best teams of other continents and by winning it = best club of the planet.

The Champions League is more prestigious due to the prizes and more importantly the quality of the opposition. The WCC may get you a big south American club to play against but it's really not that glamorous.

But it is a cup that very few have the chance to win, so I'd agree that the bigger players would be upset at not getting the chance to play.

So it may be a text issue rather than a full on bug, but it's defo worth posting in the bugs forum.

How can the CWC be more "important" than the Champions League?

Club World Cup is just an inflated version of the old Intercontinental Cup, and it should have stayed that way.

ONE GAME, Europe v South America and that was it. No need for a longer tournament with filler clubs from weaker continents just to sell more games.

Clubs have enough games to play without needing to "waste" too much time on a Cup which can be considered, at best, the icing on the cake.

But there's no icing (Club World Cup) without the cake (Champions League)

P.S. I'm positive Barcelona wouldn't need extra-time to beat Estudiantes under "normal" circumstances... I'm not saying they phoned it in, but...

Not going to discuss which one is more important, CL/CWC. Because it perfectly a subjective and personal choice.

The FACT is, seagull84 have left his starting 11 out of the tournament and decided to register a bunch of u-23 instead, I cannot see why the starting 11 would not get upset.

In my case, I also consider the CWC is lot easier to win than the EPL or CL, so what I have done was register all of my starting 11 + decent youngsters.

the thing the valuation of the cup seems to differ in the continents as in all the world value the Club World Cup higher than the champions league, except in europe where its portrayed as more of an after thought,

This. PMLF once remarked in FF that the CWC holds much more prestige in South America than it does in Europe. Which makes all this "CL is bigger than CWC. No, CWC is bigger than CL" bickering a tad pointless.

the champions league is more prestigious than the world club cup, but all of your main players will still want to go and compete for it, as it is the best clubs of all the contenents, and it gives you another trophy that you have won, so you should be taking it seriously, and i think that your players would want to also.

How can the CWC be more "important" than the Champions League?

Club World Cup is just an inflated version of the old Intercontinental Cup, and it should have stayed that way.

ONE GAME, Europe v South America and that was it. No need for a longer tournament with filler clubs from weaker continents just to sell more games.

Clubs have enough games to play without needing to "waste" too much time on a Cup which can be considered, at best, the icing on the cake.

But there's no icing (Club World Cup) without the cake (Champions League)

P.S. I'm positive Barcelona wouldn't need extra-time to beat Estudiantes under "normal" circumstances... I'm not saying they phoned it in, but...

They just thought it was going to be an easy win. 1st half was too relaxed and 2nd half well, 2nd half was the real Barcelona.

To people who know very little about European football, the Club World Cup "sounds" more important... buts its not. At all. It doesnt even come close to the Champions League. Yes, clubs still want to win it, but nothing really happens if you don't. Supporters of the winning team dont go home with the best feeling they have ever had. Its almost like a friendly fixture against great teams with a cup.

The Champions League however is a totally different class.

Whoever said the Club World Cup is more desirable is 100% totally wrong. However, perhaps if you are Columbian or something then fair enough, the CWC is probably more important to you.

To people who know very little about European football, the Club World Cup "sounds" more important... buts its not. At all. It doesnt even come close to the Champions League. Yes, clubs still want to win it, but nothing really happens if you don't. Supporters of the winning team dont go home with the best feeling they have ever had. Its almost like a friendly fixture against great teams with a cup.

The Champions League however is a totally different class.

Whoever said the Club World Cup is more desirable is 100% totally wrong. However, perhaps if you are Columbian or something then fair enough, the CWC is probably more important to you.

This pretty much distills the Eurocentric streak in this thread. The CWC should be more prestigious because it involves the world. The CL is more famous because of its hype. The CL lost a bunch of prestige when it stopped being a Champions League and became a sell out that allowed fourth place teams to compete.

Eurocentrism being explained at its best... :-).

Of course the CL is more difficult, but you won´t be the best of the world if you don´t beat the South American champion - or, for that matter, any other team which reaches the final of the tournament.

If the European teams didn´t bother before, after they lost to Brazilian sides that had a budget that could be compared to their youth systems and went home embarassed (like overhyped Gerrard´s face after losing to Sao Paulo), some started to pay more attention.

Barça played their hearts out to beat Estudiantes - in completely normal competitive circumstances - and they did, which is good, because they´re actually the best team in the world.

And I hope this sets the tone for the future, and expand this thought of whoever wins Europe is by definition the best of the world.

If it were as simple as that, we shouldn´t even have World Cups and Italy definitely wouldn´t be the last champion.

Cheers,

Tele

The CWC is not more prestigous than the Champions League. Rediculous.....

However.....that being said it is still a high profile world event and if you leave a player out for no reason i could see how they could be ticked off. It is a chance for them to show-off, especially for European sides because they are usually superior clubs in the tournament. Also good exposure in the far east for players and teams.

Teams usually don't sit their best players for this event. This year Barca played their A Team and I think Man U did last year as well. Rio played hurt if I remember correctly.

It involves the world? Does it? It involves 6 teams that would struggle in the third league in most European leagues and the European and South American Champions. It's a pointless tournament that the European teams see as a chore.

The Euro leagues arent nearly as good as you think save the handful of wealthy clubs at the top. And those top teams need to engage in footie colonialism to maintain their position on top of the football world. If Euro teams could only field Euro players, they would be in trouble. And the top teams in N and S America and Africa would be respectable in any Euro league.

BTW, Euro teams see it as a chore because of blatant hubris; and they see the world bridging the gap in terms of quality.

cwc of course is overhyped by south americans because they beleive for some reason, their south american clubs are as good as top level cl teams

it is not even half of the prestigue of the cl when u play the likes of japanese sides

What about japanese sides :mad:

The Euro leagues arent nearly as good as you think save the handful of wealthy clubs at the top. And those top teams need to engage in footie colonialism to maintain their position on top of the football world. If Euro teams could only field Euro players, they would be in trouble. And the top teams in N and S America and Africa would be respectable in any Euro league.

BTW, Euro teams see it as a chore because of blatant hubris; and they see the world bridging the gap in terms of quality.

That is absolute rubbish. You clearly know nothing about football.

Anyone who seriously thinks the CWC is better than the CL has a poor knowledge of football I am afraid.

For Europeans countries, usually the winner of the top division plays the winner of the domestic cup, so in England the Premership winners play the F.A Cup winners in the Community Shield. It is nice to win this but winning the league is the most important thing. So in this situation you can compare the Premiership to the Champions League and the Community Shield to the CWC. Is the Community Shield better than the Premiership? No. Is the CWC better than the Champions League? No.

Anyone who seriously thinks the CWC is better than the CL has a poor knowledge of football I am afraid.

For Europeans countries, usually the winner of the top division plays the winner of the domestic cup, so in England the Premership winners play the F.A Cup winners in the Community Shield. It is nice to win this but winning the league is the most important thing. So in this situation you can compare the Premiership to the Champions League and the Community Shield to the CWC. Is the Community Shield better than the Premiership? No. Is the CWC better than the Champions League? No.

not really a good argument about england since the fa cup used to be far more important than the league

not really a good argument about england since the fa cup used to be far more important than the league

It used to be, bearing in mind it was set up before the league. Also some teams even into the sixties and seventies took the F.A Cup more seriously - Tottenham, West Ham - but not most clubs.

Also, the OFFICIAL OPINION FROM SI over this is that the Champions League is A LOT more important than the Club World Championship. The Champions League has an importance rating of 20, the Club World Championship only has one of 14.

The English F.A Cup has 15. The Argentine Premiership is 15. The Russian Premier League has an importance of 14. I think this says it all really.

Is the Community Shield better than the Premiership? No. Is the CWC better than the Champions League? No.

Blaming someone for poor knowledge because he thinks different that you doesnt mean that you are right.

Furthermore, the CWC is played by the champions of all the continents, not only champions league, but also libertadores cup and the asian one. That means that if you win it you will have the prestige to have beaten the best teams in each continent.

I agree again with the eurocentric view of some forum members...remember the world existance please...

i'm pretty sure the only people who think the CWC is some big event are the non-european teams and their fans :)

look at the figures for the viewers of the champions league and the CWC for one, just to compare the general interest for one

The Champions League Final is one of the most-watched football events in the world. The finest club event.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2008/05/26/711806/final-could-break-record-viewing-figures

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article3987677.ece

118m watched Liverpool beat Milan. The figures for the 2009 Champions League Final were set to top 300m viewers. 300m! The Club World Cup cannot get anywhere near as much coverage.

Blaming someone for poor knowledge because he thinks different that you doesnt mean that you are right.Furthermore, the CWC is played by the champions of all the continents, not only champions league, but also libertadores cup and the asian one. That means that if you win it you will have the prestige to have beaten the best teams in each continent.

I agree again with the eurocentric view of some forum members...remember the world existance please...

No it doesn't. But knowing enough about football myself, having the support of most people posting on here AND SI - look at the importance ratings of these competitions in FM - and also the likes of Alex Ferguson who purposely played a weaker team as he knows it is a much less important competition to win than Champions League, AND actually being right, makes me right.

To say you have an Asian side in there aswell is laughable. Most clubs in the CWC would get beaten by a League Two side in England.

Check out TV viewing figures, prize money and sponsorship between the CL and the CWC and try and tell me the CWC is the most important!

Also check the kind of teams the European qualifier usually play throughout the tournament and they give youngsters a run out like they would in the League Cup.

No it doesn't. But knowing enough about football myself, having the support of most people posting on here AND SI - look at the importance ratings of these competitions in FM - and also the likes of Alex Ferguson who purposely played a weaker team as he knows it is a much less important competition to win than Champions League, AND actually being right, makes me right.

To say you have an Asian side in there aswell is laughable. Most clubs in the CWC would get beaten by a League Two side in England.

Check out TV viewing figures, prize money and sponsorship between the CL and the CWC and try and tell me the CWC is the most important!

Also check the kind of teams the European qualifier usually play throughout the tournament and they give youngsters a run out like they would in the League Cup.

Your arguements thus far have been pathetic but my favourite bit was the bit I bolded, hypocritical claiming someone else lacks knowledge of football when you come up with statements like that. Manchester United were proud they won it last year as it is a prestigious tournament as they were champions of the World, which sounds better than of Europe. Ignorance.

This pretty much distills the Eurocentric streak in this thread. The CWC should be more prestigious because it involves the world. The CL is more famous because of its hype. The CL lost a bunch of prestige when it stopped being a Champions League and became a sell out that allowed fourth place teams to compete.

I completely agree with this comment actually. Even though it usually benifits my club, Glasgow Rangers, when they finish second. The only reason they changed it was so the likes of Liverpool, who seem destined to never win the league again, and other big teams around the world could get in and earn more money. Completely degrades the value of the "Champions" league.

Anyway i personally think the Champions league is the more prestigious of the two. I think the point to remember here though is that this is my personal opinion like it will be for most of us. Saying people who think differently than you are foolish or have a poor knowledge of footbal is rather rude in my opinion.

While I agree that the ECL is the most prestigious tourney on the planet; lets remember that many of the best players in it arent European. I understand the arrogance of some Euro footie fans because, as an American, its not so different from the arrogant American view of basketball. And we havent done to well at the World Championships. :o

The only reason they changed it was so the likes of Liverpool, who seem destined to never win the league again, and other big teams around the world could get in and earn more money. Completely degrades the value of the "Champions" league.

I think it is more accurate to say that UEFA did it so that UEFA could earn more money. :)

CL is the most prestigious tournament in the world. Agreed. Even with its "welcome on board prestigious non-champions from big countries" format.

However, in opposition to the argument used to compare it with Comm Shield, there´s a ladder in English Football which is clear. And there´s no competitive basis to compare a South American side (i.e. a competition other than the CWC) with an European side. Despite the immense lag in funds and structure, raw talent and football culture - i.e. Cup-tie experience provide the teams from South America with a competitive ground at least. Estudiantes performance just proved that.

That is a simple point that would make the tournament worth its glory as well. You actually can´t say you´re the best in the world if you don´t beat teams which represent the world, no matter how good you are or you think you are.

Although I believe teams from continents other than South America do have a difficult time playing the tournament due to a gap in the level they play, I can see Mexican sides being able to compete and in the future, some Asian teams with better funding and pro football culture being rooted in their countries, and even a side like Zamalek from Egypt, performing gradually better.

There´s no country which invests in basketball like the US, and yet the gap came closer even with the Americans using the NBA stars.

Would those teams from other continents except South America win? Probably not, although it would be actually good for football if they did.

However, it is a stage for those teams as well. I am pretty sure that it would be important for an African side or an Oceania to be 3rd best just after South America and Europe and for an Asian or Central/North American team to reach the final winning against a South American or European side.

I question the tournament rating exposed here for the tournament. It should be similar to a top-notch league, or close, IMO.

Finally, I don´t believe a top Asian side or Mexican side would play badly in a top division flight in Europe, not to mention a South American side - needless to say to compare those teams with League 2 clubs is not fair.

Cheers,

Tele

The CWC is knowhere near as important as the CL. When Man. United won it last year, hardly anyone over here cared. Barca looked really overjoyed about winning it, so I suppose the Spaniards value it a lot more highly then we (English/British) do. Or possibly it had something to do with the fact they wanted to be the first team to win all trophies avaliable to them in 2009.

Anyway, I believe the CWC is in a way, pointless. It should go back to the old Intercontinental Cup. And, OP, I would haver done the same in regards to the squad.

Just to keep the thread FM-related... Seagull84, report this in the bugs forum. :p

yeah cus playing japanese and brazilian teams is much harder lolz

A lot of the problem the CWC faces in Europe is the timing. Right slap bang in the middle of the season, and at a time of the year when players are most likely to pick up injuries and possibly have an effect on the clubs league campaign. It's seen as more of a hinderance then anything. That's not to say the team that goes there doesn't want to win the competition, just that at the that time, there are more important things going on.

For most Souther American leagues though, it sits nicely in their off season, so obviously, with no league campaign in the way at the time, there will be added interest. Most importantly though, it's been seen very much as a chance to get one over the richer, more famous and more glamourous European clubs. I remember back to the Liverpool v Sao Paulo final in 2005. I was working with a Brazilian from Sao Paulo at the time and the first thing he mentioned when they won the Copa Libertadores was how much he was looking to seeing his team beat Liverpool, and when they did win, he was unbareable for ages, even for those who hated Liverpool. When Liverpool won the CL, I didn't even give the tournament a second thought until it came around. And although I was disapointed that we lost, this wasn't even comparable to what it felt like to lose the CL final a couple years later.

That just goes to show that what isn't prestigous to some, might be for others.

Bongo-Bongo,

Interesting point.

But phisically I´d think the European teams would have an edge, since players in mid-season are usually better fit than after a full season.

I remember that from the time Flamengo beat Liverpool 28 years ago. Flamengo just had played 2 finals consisting of gruelling 6 games from mid-November on - at that time, the Libertadores was in the 2nd half of the year alongside the Rio State Championship (then a very important tournament in the Brazilian football scenery).

And, because Europe is closer to Japan (the venue before UAE), jetlag and travel effects would be higher on the South Americans.

Blaming someone for poor knowledge because he thinks different that you doesnt mean that you are right.

Furthermore, the CWC is played by the champions of all the continents, not only champions league, but also libertadores cup and the asian one. That means that if you win it you will have the prestige to have beaten the best teams in each continent.

No one is that forgetting club football exists outside of Europe. They are merely pointing out that the primary competition of the strongest federation in the sport is more prestigious than an international show-piece event. It doesn't matter if it involves "the world", if club football isn't as consistently strong across all continents then of course it's going to be seen as a weaker, less season-defining trophy than the CL.

Tele, the players in mid-season may be fitter but they are generally not of the mental condition you'd associate with a team that is playing in an important competition. Weary of a busy fixture list, most of the European sides in recent times have taken to the field in a manor you're more likely to see in a prestigious friendlies rather than a cup final. I'm not saying they don't try, but there's a tangible difference.

Edit: I notice a lot of Brazilians see attitudes like mine as a way of making excuses for defeats of European sides. It isn't. We just don't care enough. We don't brag when we win, we don't despair when we lose. It would be nice but it doesn't have the same impact on us.

Archived