FM2010 blogs - Day 23 - State of play, speed tests and Paolo Nutini

Nutini? I had to look up who he was, he sounded like a dodgy regen.

I dont really care about the processing speed as it goes as fast as I can keep up with anyway. The thing I really hated was the incredibly slow GUI where youd need 2 or 3 clicks every time you wanted to do something because the game was running at 100% cpu. Hopefully this is fully fixed even if it means only 80 or 90% is used for processing.

Miles - In the first paragraph you say QA and Sega are trying to 'break the game'. Does this meaning they are trying to find faults with it?

Yes :) QA testing or 'Quality assurance' basically tries to make sure that any obvious game breaking bugs don't come out with the release.

Nutini? I had to look up who he was, he sounded like a dodgy regen.

Yeah i don't know he is but he supported Led Zeppelin so respect on that. I saw him on Sky Sports News a while back raving about Celtic, might check him out on youtube.

Its good that the game speed is much faster cos ive got a decent PC. Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz and 4GB RAM so hopefully i can run a large variation of leagues.:D

Can anyone explain the full detail element (I can't be bothered to find the old box and read the manual)

Am I right in assuming it is as simple as on the "Detail Level" tab of game status turning them to full detail runs each game rather than just generating a result? Obviously as results are generated for league and cup comps what does full detail over none provide?

Probably a dumb question in truth but as I have never ever changed this from the default; just run the 20 odd countries and various leagues in the past so curious to see whether I should be customising in '10?

Great news about the speed, which means I should be able to go back to my FM2008 set-up of about 18 leagues. I think I went for 13 + enough players for each international team to have a squad on 09 and it is visibly slower, although not that bad as my PC is pretty good.

• SI Staff
Miles - In the first paragraph you say QA and Sega are trying to 'break the game'. Does this meaning they are trying to find faults with it?

Yes - trying to crash it, basically.

Do you have any stats on FM08 on the same test machine, so that you could compare it with fm10 to see if its even faster then 08? Which was about perfect speed wise :cool:

With full match engine, FM10 is slightly slower.

Without full match engine, FM10 is much faster.

So unless you turn crank everything up to maximum detail, the game will be faster than FM08.

speed tests-I thought it was going to be a new club fitness feature, with physios giving you detailed feedback on the progression or deterioration of your players based on in game tests, heralding a new era wherein all players in the game age uniquely based upon physiological makeup, lifestyle etc giving you perfect 40 yr old specimens (Maldini) and washed up fat 29 yr olds (naming no names)

oh well :(

i love fm but know virtually nothin about pc specs so i'll write down what i've got and could someone who understands it all tell me if its good enough and how many leagues/countries i could run!!???

processor = intel core 2 duo mobile processor p7350

operating system = windows vista home premium

memory = 4096mb ddr2 ram

hard drive = 250gb

optical drive = super multi dvd+rw

graphics card = intel centrino 2 integrated ( also have a sticker sayin graphics by nvidia)

processor = intel core 2 duo mobile processor p7350

operating system = windows vista home premium

memory = 4096mb ddr2 ram

hard drive = 250gb

optical drive = super multi dvd+rw

graphics card = intel centrino 2 integrated ( also have a sticker sayin graphics by nvidia)

That should run FM10 quite well, although it may well struggle with 3D. Only other thing i can say is that your processor isn't too good from what i can tell. Might slow it down a bit.

Let's hope I'll play it like FM09.

Intel P4 2,00GHz (single-core)

768MB RAM DDR@~200MHz

x1600 ATI Radeon graphics card

XP Pro SP2

I have several 3-league-saved-games in which I played for almost 10 seasons "smoothly" (for my occasions).

I don't use 3D and I won't use it in FM 2010, but I hope it could go normal.

Miles, is no testing being done with added players from nations or first divisions? Very disappointed to see that the so-called "Dream Team" testers are simply playing with a large database with one minor exception where he's added a small bit to his database.

This in no way informs my potential game speed, because I always load additional players from all first divisions in the database or similar configurations. At the large setting, the database is far too small to have a fully realistic football world where the top clubs on various continents are truly represented.

Could someone please do some testing using DDT files or the new functions that allow you to retain all national team players, first division players, etc.?

Miles, is no testing being done with added players from nations or first divisions? Very disappointed to see that the so-called "Dream Team" testers are simply playing with a large database with one minor exception where he's added a small bit to his database.

This in no way informs my potential game speed, because I always load additional players from all first divisions in the database or similar configurations. At the large setting, the database is far too small to have a fully realistic football world where the top clubs on various continents are truly represented.

Could someone please do some testing using DDT files or the new functions that allow you to retain all national team players, first division players, etc.?

They have a standard set of tests they do every year to benchmark against previous versions. The options are infinite and I would much prefer they actually test the game for bugs as appose to doing benchmark tests which you can do yourself when the game is out. What is clear is the game is faster. Which is only a good thing.

What is clear is the game is faster. Which is only a good thing.

This is not clear until they test the game under more conditions. They may have made the game faster with the standard database settings, and it would stand to reason that faster speed at those configurations should allow faster speeds when retaining many more players and staff. But until they test it and confirm, then why bother to talk about how much faster the game is?

We need to see more thorough testing under more conditions. Maybe the game is 16% faster under one condition but it's only going to be 5% faster or maybe even slower under another. It would be good to know in advance, otherwise why bother doing the speed testing anyway? Just let everyone buy the game and figure it out for themselves.

• SI Staff
This is not clear until they test the game under more conditions. They may have made the game faster with the standard database settings, and it would stand to reason that faster speed at those configurations should allow faster speeds when retaining many more players and staff. But until they test it and confirm, then why bother to talk about how much faster the game is?

We need to see more thorough testing under more conditions. Maybe the game is 16% faster under one condition but it's only going to be 5% faster or maybe even slower under another. It would be good to know in advance, otherwise why bother doing the speed testing anyway? Just let everyone buy the game and figure it out for themselves.

Jorge - if you look at the interviews of just a handful of our beta testers, most of them say what their set ups are, and there are some pretty big databases being used there. I have not seen a single comment from the beta test of anyone who thinks the game is anything but much faster than 9.03.

do you think maybe, just MAYBE there are more important things for the testers to be doing than running god knows how many soak tests under countless different database conditions, just to figure out every potential speed difference between 09 and 10? :rolleyes:

do you think maybe, just MAYBE there are more important things for the testers to be doing than running god knows how many soak tests under countless different database conditions, just to figure out every potential speed difference between 09 and 10? :rolleyes:

No. What the hell else are testers for than to test things like this?

If they haven't already tested for the obvious bugs and major issues with the game, then we'll all be getting a crap product on October 30. At this stage the testers should have the time to work on issues like speed differences. If they're still working on core issues, then the timeline for this game is wrong and they need to change the development cycle dramatically.

Some testers have clearly stated that they use retain players files and state the number of players and leagues. They've covered the set-up I have in mind and it is great news indeed.

What hasn't been mentioned is the 3D match engine. The FM09 one in my laptop is very stuttery - has this been improved for FM10, i.e. with the same graphics card will the 3D run more smoothly, the same or less smoothly?

With full match engine, FM10 is slightly slower.

Without full match engine, FM10 is much faster.

Do you mean the "max detail thing in simulating games.."?

May I ask: how do the suggested setup (league loaded) when you create a new game work? What's the criteria? It feels to me that it never take care of database size or edt.

No. What the hell else are testers for than to test things like this?

If they haven't already tested for the obvious bugs and major issues with the game, then we'll all be getting a crap product on October 30. At this stage the testers should have the time to work on issues like speed differences. If they're still working on core issues, then the timeline for this game is wrong and they need to change the development cycle dramatically.

Just because all the big bugs (presumably) have been fixed, doesn't mean they shouldn't be testing for more bugs. In a game as complicated as FM, you can never test every element of the game completely, so the more time the testers spend playing the game under real world conditions, the better.

Archived